Student Mamas...New thread!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 288 Old 10-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
repeat after me one test in one class, i can make it thru this.
i can parent a two year old i can make it thru this test.
i can parent a two year old i can make it thru this test.
over and over agian.lol.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 288 Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One time, I studied for the wrong test. It was a distance learning class, so we got a booklet that laid out the whole class for us and told us the test dates and what to study. Well, I accidentally went to the wrong page and studied for the wrong test. So when I was taking the test, I was like, "Hey, this wasn't in the study guide!" Then when I got home I saw what I was really supposed to be studying. I got a C on that test mainly by guessing. I ended up getting a B in the course. I got 4 A's and a B that term. If I'd studied for the right test, I might have gotten straight A's.

I got a C on my first math test this term, and a B on the second. I go to take a psychology test later this evening. I'm never taking another math class online again. I really need that individual attention to do well.
#183 of 288 Old 10-21-2004, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Maya....sometimes I wonder what the heck I was thinking going back to school while DS is 2 years old.

OMG Greaseball - that's one of my worst fears. I can't believe you got a C on that test anyway! There's no way I could take any kind of math class (or science for that matter) via the Internet. I have a friend who's in an online accounting class and I don't know how she does it without having an instructor right there helping you along.
#184 of 288 Old 10-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

Ug,

Just got the spring schedule and I can't take Algebra and Trig.

Can't take Bio. Can't take Chem, ug-ug-ug.

Got a student in Soc to tell me which math professor is "the good one"

What do you think of Computer Science and Women's Studies (Fundamentals of Computer
Science and Women Today; an intro to Women's Studies)

Is Womens' Studies for real?

db
#185 of 288 Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 PM

the womens studies corses here are real. i took a couple and will probably end up with a womens studies degree if only becoase i like the information. i dont know what ppl use the degree for except battered women groups or something. i know personally i was angry for a while after i took it, because of the stuff i learned. oh well not anymore.
i say my mantra every day. i can get up at this hour
i can get thru this class
this idiot at my work study job will go away
compassion for all beings and i can endure any hardship are common with me at work.
if i can parent an 8 y.o. i can explain this simple idea to this blockhead at work.lol.
etc. etc.etc.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#186 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 06:21 PM

I loved my women's studies classes I double majored in Cultural Anthropology and Intercultural Communication and the women studies classes I took were some of my favorite. I read things I would not have been exposed to otherwise.

I also went to a school with a large Hispanic and Native American population and the classes really concerned not just white/hetro/upper class feminist ideas. Its nice to get out of your comfort zone sometimes.

As a mom you would have some perspectives the other women would find valuable, too.
#187 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Is Womens' Studies for real?
What do you mean?
#188 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Last night I went to karate class and asked a friend about the class.

She said she's taking the class and loves it although it requires a lot of writing (it actually satisfies a writing requirement as well as a diversity requirement.)

I also talked with my daughter and, although she hasn't taken the class she knows a lot of people who have and many say they really enjoyed the class.

Sooooooooo, I'm having a better attitude toward the class.

I just wonder what people do with a degree in Women's Studies.

Debra Baker
#189 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 06:45 PM

If my sister could study feminist literature for her master's degree, you can better believe Women's Studies is a real and important course. Just like African American Studies. So much of that history is left out of "typical" textbooks.

Well folks, I'm freaking out. The last three weeks I have completely screwed myself. DS was in a terrible place and so was I, so I didn't do as much as I should have in regards to school. I have a presentation due next week and I just didn't really know how to find good sources for this paper. So, I picked some of the most difficult material out there. This stuff is on the Masters' and Ph.D. program level and WAY over my head. Well, not way over, but enough that I don't feel confident that I've quite got the right idea. And...I had to turn in an outline for this presentation last week, and now I'm stuck with what I turned in. I wish I could do it over but it's too late. EEKS. Why do I have to make things 10 times harder for myself than they need to be?
#190 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Hey, I think just having children and going to school is overwhelming.

Both take up a lot of time and demand undivided attention!!

db And as far as Women's Studies go, well......they didn't have it in my day They barely had Computer Science

db
#191 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 07:13 PM

CollegeMama:
*sigh* That is totally something I would do and have done, so many times. Just keep telling yourself over and over and over it does not have to be perfect. Give yourself permission to do a half assed job (and chances are it'll still be great anyway).

DB:
I have a degree in Multicultural Studies, which is valued about as highly in our culture as Women Studies. What did I do with it? Um, I went to law school. :LOL (Seriously tho, you should take it another year if you can.)

Speaking of law school, I'm in total denial this week.

:

I see people and they're like chit-chatty, "how's school?" And I'm like "um..."

Yeah wouldn't it be funny if I don't graduate?
#192 of 288 Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 PM

i really found womens studies usful. i felt i knew my history as a woman better, that i could communicate with other women better and that i understood better why the world is the was it is, including the history of birth esp. in the u.s. the woman i took it from is very knoledgable about the history of midwives and how everything changed in the last 100 years surrounding birth and women. i was great. i highly recomend it.
maya

#193 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 05:35 AM

I am so impressed by the student mamas on this board. On the flip side, I'm starting to feel really inadequate. How do you all do it? I had ds when I became ABD, so I figured "all" I had to do was the dissertation. Well, guess how that's been going? It really hasn't. I also teach at a university as an adjunct two days a week, so that also takes a lot of time. But my real joy is being a mom and I take real pleasure in all the little things I do for ds. And the kind of mom I choose to be seems to take a lot of time - washing his cloth diapers, making his food, AP, and I read a lot on parenting as well. When do you have time to study? At night? How do you afford daycare if you don't work?
#194 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goepark
I am so impressed by the student mamas on this board. On the flip side, I'm starting to feel really inadequate. How do you all do it? I had ds when I became ABD, so I figured "all" I had to do was the dissertation. Well, guess how that's been going? It really hasn't. I also teach at a university as an adjunct two days a week, so that also takes a lot of time. But my real joy is being a mom and I take real pleasure in all the little things I do for ds. And the kind of mom I choose to be seems to take a lot of time - washing his cloth diapers, making his food, AP, and I read a lot on parenting as well. When do you have time to study? At night? How do you afford daycare if you don't work?
You sound just like me. I know you're not impressed by me!! Unless you're impressed by how I still manage to find so much time to dick around on MDC while complaining about how much work I have to do....

I pay for my child care the same way I pay for everything else, w/ student loans. The school does give me $200 per semester, which is a joke IMO. But the child care just covers the time I'm in class, I really don't get any work done in that time unless I skip class (which I often do : )

To be honest, I have cut a lot of corners, time-wise. I used cloth diapers up until about a month ago, but I don't anymore, which really bummed me out. I had planned to make his baby food, but I don't - I can barely get around to cooking for myself once a week. (Not like it matters, since he won't eat anything besides breastmilk and cheerios anyway.) I do still try to read about parenting, but it's a few pages at a time here and there, yk? I think I am totally AP, however, and yes that is a big time committment but I don't think about it, I just do it. I'm not the mother I had hoped to be, but I'm still a damn good mom, that is pretty much the only thing I feel sure about these days.

I study -- in theory :LOL -- a couple hours at night after he goes to sleep, an hour or so in the morning when he is in a good mood and can entertain himself pretty well, and a half hour or so during each of his naps. If I was smart, I would also take advantage of all the people who keep offering to babysit... I don't know what's wrong w/ me that I can't ask for help.

I wish I had some sage advice for you but all I know is my own situation, which I am barely handling.

I keep telling myself that if I can be a mom, I can do anything! And when my peers at school make me feel inadequate I tell myself they have nooooooo idea, that while I was pacing for hours w/ a screaming sick baby, they were knocking back free beers at the SBA party. I also have to keep telling myself it's ok to be a whole lot less than perfect. Priorities are not what they once were.

You can do it!
#195 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 05:40 PM

I'm sorry- I haven't kept up on this thread. Does anyone know why my baby wakes up and starts screaming AS SOON as I sit to do schoolwork? I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. dh works 12 hr days, has an hour commute each way and is taking accelerated online courses and his days at home are the days I'm in class. I'm taking easy courses, but they have a LOT of work/projects (education classes).

I've GOT to figure out a way to do homework when home w/the kids by myself.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#196 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can you afford to get a mothers helper a few hours a week? I dont even bother trying to study most days when dd is awake. Granted that means i'm up till midnight but its better then trying to study with her bugging me every 30 seconds

Seriously?
#197 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Can I freak out now?! One of my teachers just assigned a 5 page research paper in MLA format, formal tone and title & reference page doesn't count! I have NEVER written a paper more then 1 page much less a research paper! Its due in 6 weeks and I dont even know where to start! I figured I would be learning this in Eng 101 next semester!

Seriously?
#198 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 09:00 PM

whoa, Satori, you'll be fine! You get started on a 5 page paper exactly the same way you get started on a 1 page paper. Just start writing. That is always the hardest part for me at least (oh, and let's not talk about the 35 page paper I've been putting off for over a year...). My biggest problem w/ research papers is always getting bogged down in the research. So choose a very small, discrete, manageable topic. Research just enough to write a thesis statement and an outline. Then write as much of the body of the paper as you can. Then do just a little more research. Don't get overwhelmed thinking about the whole thing, just bite off one little piece at a time and you'll be fine I think it's great you're doing this now, you'll rock Eng 101! How is pg?
#199 of 288 Old 10-23-2004, 11:25 PM

Thanks Satori- I am thinking about a mothers helper. If I had a solid block of time, it would be much easier.

With your 5page paper- MLA format is double spaced, so when you think about it, it's really only 2 1/2 pages of text. For your reference page, you can use www.easybib.com which is a free service to format your reference page in MLA (all my papers have to be in APA, so I had to pay $6 for the year).

IF you google MLA- you will find formatting info. And as far as the research- like guerrllamama said- pic a very manageable topic- not too big, not too small.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#200 of 288 Old 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM

I just assigned a 6-page paper for my college class, and really, it's even less than 3 pages. I tell my students to start with a good introduction with a strong thesis statement and summary of what you'll be talking about and end with a good conclusion, which should restate the main points of the body of the paper in a different way. The body should just reiterate the thesis in so many words. Don't be afraid to repeat some information, as it tells the reader what to expect from the body of the paper and then what they should have gotten out of it. Good luck. 6 weeks will be plenty of time to write an outline and drafts. Most importantly, have confidence. Figure out what you want to say, and say it!
#201 of 288 Old 10-25-2004, 05:24 PM

I just did a 3 and a half page paper (1.5 spaced) and didn't even intend for it to end up that long! You'd be surprised at how fast you can wrack up those pages. I found that being as detailed as I possibly can really helps. Start out generally, and then add the details. You'll do well, just get started now!
My mistake with my presentation is that I waited to start until 3 weeks before it was due. I really should have started a few weeks earlier. But, I'm kinda dorky that way, I always like to be over-prepared. You can do it!!!!!

Update! I found out today that I got a 99% on my test. I couldn't believe it because I was sure that I had done poorly on it. Woo Hoo!!!!!
No one will ever believe me again when I say that I'm sure that I bombed a test. I'm going to get ribbed at work so bad! :LOL
#202 of 288 Old 10-28-2004, 02:12 AM

Congratulations Collegemama. I'd like to know how you study. Enlighten us! Or maybe you're one of those who never need to study and still ace everything. I'm having trouble finding the time.
#203 of 288 Old 10-28-2004, 02:40 PM

: Goepark - I wish I were one of those lucky ones who never has to study. Far, far from it!
First of all, keep in mind that even though I work full time and have a toddler, I'm only taking one class this semester. So, that makes a difference, I'm sure.
Any advice the prof. offers about how to study for the test or things to look out for, I pay special attention to and try. Almost every night after DS goes to sleep, I study. I only give myself one day off a week from studying, with or without a test coming. I always read the chapters we're studying all the way through and make sure I'm ahead of the teacher's lectures chapter-wise. I don't want to hear a lecture on something I haven't read about yet, to put it more simply.
I tape the lectures and listen to them in the car on my way to and from work. I make sure I have my homework done and ready to turn in at least one day early in case there's an unforeseen problem lurking ahead, like DS getting sick or me getting sick, or who knows what! I make notecards (flashcards - which Prof. D suggested) of definitions and important people that I'm pretty sure I'll need to know and I do this at least 2 to 3 weeks before the test. Which usually means I start making the new flashcards as soon as the test from the old material is done.
Then I casually go through the cards one week, the next week I get quizzed by DH reading the definition and I have to tell him what the word is and who originated the word (since it's a psych class, it's important to know who came up with those words.)
Then, a week or so (maybe more) before the test I take one card at a time and study it until it's memorized word for word. This is good because I know I may not remember everything exactly, but I'll have enough memorized that I can fill in the pieces. KWIM?
A week before the exam, Prof. gives us 12 possible essay questions (she then picks 6 of those and has us answer 3 for the test) so I make sure I write out the answers to all 12 essay questions, then I see which ones I would have the easier time remembering and make outlines of those answers. I try to do this with about 8 or 9 questions. Then I just make sure I know enough of the basics of the others in case I get stuck writing those.
Once I get the essays down pretty well, I quiz myself and try to answer the essay without any of my notes or outlines. I see how I did and then I write out the answer as it should be. I do the same method with the flashcards too. I write out what I think the definition of a word is and then check it and write out what the proper answer is. For some reason, this last study method works wonders for me. Something about correcting the mistakes makes the right answers stick better. It takes a lot of work. The week before a test I don't take a normal lunch, I sit at my desk and study. I'll also sometimes come into work at 6:30 so I can study 30 minutes before I'm on the clock. Then, I'll take about 5 min or so periodically while DS is awake, go to the garage under the guise of doing laundry and study some then.
I also only allow myself 15 min. of straight study time and then I give myself a break. I've read that watching something funny right after studying makes the material stick better (I have no idea why!) So I try to watch something funny during that little break.
Then, while I'm taking the test, I put about 4 or 5 peppermints on my desk and eat those throughout the test. Peppermint is supposed to help clear and focus your mind. (doesn't hurt anyway!)
I hope those ideas help someone. I am shocked that I'm doing so well in school. I'm so anxious that I'm sure I'm over-studying, but I don't really care.
I had to do a presentation in class yesterday and I had so over-prepared for it that my part of the presentation was as detailed and long as the one master's student in our group. The undergrad's work was much more fluffy and general. Anyway, a grad student (who wasn't in my group, BTW) came up to me after class and said I was one of the best public speakers she's ever heard. I was absolutely shocked. I am terrified of public speaking and my experience 5 years ago when I was in school before was that I was a terrible public speaker and that when I'd look out into the class people would look at me with pity because I was shaking so badly! Anyway, man, there's nothing like the school of hard knocks to really teach you how to be a good student. I just treat school like it's my job and that I'll get fired if I don't do a good job. KWIM? There's not an option for me to do badly.
#204 of 288 Old 10-28-2004, 03:12 PM

Collegemama,

Wow! You study a lot! I dont think i've gotten to read an entire chapter since the first 3 weeks of school! If I studied that much i'd be getting stright A's too!

Seriously?
#205 of 288 Old 11-04-2004, 02:58 AM

With all of that talk about studying so hard, here I am on MDC when I should be studing for a test that's scheduled next week. I just can't motivate myself tonight. I'm too sad I guess.
Somebody motivate me!!!!!

ETA - I know that I always do well on the tests that I stress about, and that I should complain and say I just don't know how I'll do it this time, but here I am in the same position. I guess I need to get my blog back going and vent about this stuff there, but I also want to keep this thread going, as it seems dead lately.
My headaches are getting so much worse lately. I'm feeling so sick and I've got so much to do but I just can't make myself do it. Oh well, somehow I always manage to find time to study, I've got plenty of time and I'm taking the day of my test off from work to study and work on some papers.
I enrolled for Spring yesterday and it's official. I'm going full-time, I have most of my classes (all but one) in the morning, so DS will have SAHP (parents) because I'll only need 3 hours a week for my mom to watch him when I'm in class. I can't wait to spend more time with DS! I'm terrified about the finances, but it seems like I'll get enough funding to be able to make up for my loss in income. Luckily, I get paid so little in this job that it wouldn't take much to make up my income. :LOL
#206 of 288 Old 11-07-2004, 06:26 PM

Hey all,
Just wanted to chime in...I'm in my 5th year of a PhD program in Human Development and Education Policy. I finished my coursework in fall of 2002 but i really haven't done much since then. it's so hard to motivate myself to work on my dissertation when i have my little babyface staring at me want love and attention. i am really trying to graduate by december 2005, and if i bust my butt over the next year and write a chapter every few months i should be done. it's just so hard to get organized and motivated...my mother watches Rowan twice a week, but i also teach a course one day a week that has sucked up my time. i'm always amazed at how fast 8 hours goes when i'm at work...there's never enough time to do stuff for the class i'm teaching AND work on my writing.

anyway, i'm excited to hear about how everybody else is managing things...

Good luck everybody!
#207 of 288 Old 11-07-2004, 06:44 PM

CollegeMama- I feel you about how hard it can be trying to get motivated. I was motivated for the first 3 months of my class and now I can feel my energy level dropping off. And I'm only taking one class. I quit my job in January so I could be home with my kids during the week and be able to go back to school. I'm so happy I did it! I do, however, have to work on the weekends to pay the bills. But at least I get to be with the kids all week long.

I'm just trying to get through my intermediate algebra class. I'm not a math wiz. But so far I'm doing pretty well in the class. This is my last class and then I will be graduating with an AA degree. I've been going to college on and off since 1995!

Next semester I plan on taking a class to get my EMT certification. Can't wait! Then I plan on continuing to Paramedic.
#208 of 288 Old 11-08-2004, 03:29 PM

i transfer schools in january to begin my nursing education. i am very excited yipppeee no more waiting.
i was also thinking about getting my emt certificate while waitng for classes to open up. tell me what kind of education it involves, bethla
maya

#209 of 288 Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 PM

Oh I am soooo your opposite, collegemama. I have a paper and a presentation tomorrow morning that are on two different topics and neither one is finished yet. And here I am typing a response instead. I have had a horrible time getting my butt in gear this semester. But I seem to be doing well grade wise so we'll see. I really wish I could be so dedicated, but man, there are so many other things in life that just keep taking up my time. I thinnk it would help if I had a set schedule of studying time. But June is such a lousy sleeper that I can't do it after she goes to bed because she is always waking up. Maybe after teething things will settle down.

Louise
#210 of 288 Old 11-11-2004, 03:29 PM

Howdy everyone!!! Welcome to all the new members! Happy B-days and hugs to all who need them!

Sorry I've been away for so long!!! I've had so much going on the past 4 months, in my mind, my soul, my body, my LIFE!!! Ever since I got pregnant I haven't had an interest in doing one single thing. At first it was because I was so tired all the time, but now it's moved into a lack of motivation -- which is harder to deal with. I've turned into a major slacker. <Insert guilt here.> Fortunately, even though I am taking 12 hours, I only have one actual class with tests to worry about. The rest of the time I'm counseling clients and getting supervision. But my thesis proposal is a whole other problem. Can you believe the damn thing won't write itself?!! There's no way I'm going to propose this semester. Ugh. I've even started to question whether I want to continue in the doctoral program at all. I've been praying on it and we'll see what happens. Next semester I'm only taking 6 hours and the classes should actually be interesting, that should help.

Anyway, this week I've been more focused which is good, but not on school. The pregnancy is going well. I've been trying to figure out what stuff we need to buy for the baby, right away vs later on. I've also been reading more about breastfeeding, slinging, and elimination communication so I can be ready for that, and looking on ebay for auctions on co-sleepers and slings. If anyone wants to get rid of some of their gently used baby stuff or if you have something up in the trading post, let me know.

I've only had a second to browse the last few posts. Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat!!! Keep your head up! Nothing ever stays the same!!

I gotta go now but I will be more active when this semester is over.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page