Student Mamas...New thread!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 288 Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
goods points d.b. ita.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 288 Old 11-18-2004, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or you could approach it from a Structural Functionalist point of view where this is part of the break down of society and how it affects other social systems.
#243 of 288 Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 AM

Its exam time

Yet another Thanksgiving spent with the books. This year its outlining Conflict of Laws. I actually really loved this class, but Im scared of the final

Dh and are in "pass the baby" mode, since his job is crazy right now. Hes out of town now, but we'll have Thanksgiving together at least. Then I get Friday to study and hes gone again

I hope this is all worth it........
#244 of 288 Old 11-26-2004, 01:19 AM

it will be. really.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#245 of 288 Old 12-01-2004, 01:17 AM

Oh man, I have a paper to write (summarizing an experiment written up in a journal) and I'm having so much trouble with it. I haven't taken Research Methods yet so I don't really understand some of the statistics in the article I'm summarizing.
Plus, the information is so specific, I feel like I'm going to end up quoting the whole article because I can't put it into different words.
Am I just supposed to dumb the article down and pretend that my audience isn't my teacher but my fellow classmates? HELP!!
#246 of 288 Old 12-01-2004, 01:26 AM

We had to critique 4 journal articles and basically summarized the overall points and gave our opinions on it. The max we could write was 4 pages, but the stupid journal articles were at least 20 pages, so it was very watered down at the end.

I would pick the high points and go with that. Do you have a rubric or guidelines to work from?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#247 of 288 Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM

No, unfortunately there isn't a guideline or a sample to go by. I have my last class today before having to turn this thing in on Monday, so I'll ask her if she wants me to pretend that she's not my audience and dumb it down or what. We'll see, at least it's a pass/fail assignment so I really shouldn't put too much energy into worrying about this. But, I'm such a perfectionist and I want the professor to know I respect her, so I feel I should do a really good job. I'm a dork, I know. :
#248 of 288 Old 12-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Banned

I'm taking a clep today and giving a presentation tomorrow.

I'm nervous about the clep but I'm feeling better about the presentation.

db
#249 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 03:20 PM

I talked to my professor yesterday about my report. I asked her who the audience was, her or the classmates, because I'd end up quoting half the article if she were the audience. She said, "No, don't make it complicated, just write it like you're writing to the classmates." She have a funny smile on her face so I said, "I make things complicate a lot, huh?" She laughed and said, "Yeah, but that's why you don't have to take my final!"
So, I thought it was really funny that my professor was telling me to relax and not work so hard! :LOL
#250 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Banned

I think I did ok with my presentation.

The computer provided didn't accept my powerpoint. I took my laptop just in case and we used the laptop so I guess I earn points for thinking ahead.

DB

Oh, yes, I passed the clep as well.
#251 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 07:13 PM

smart girl db. good for you.
maya

#252 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 PM

how is everyone doing? this is the end of the semester and it's kicking my ass!!
I took a final in political science research yesterday. It was way harder than I expected. I know I lost at least 5 points on one question because I had no clue how to answer it, very disturbing. I am hoping for an 85. But I should still get an A in the class.

my other classes are k i l l i n g me. I'm taking this AA History class that has huge workload, but it's my favorite class by far. The final project is due tomorrow and I am like, half done with it. Then we have a final exam. I have to bust butt to get caught up so I can finish strong.. I was sick for the week prior to Thanksgiving, which is why I'm struggling now. single mom + full time classes + illness + finals week = exhaustion.

I still think I can get 3 a's though. I will be really bummed out if I don't do well. all this work has to pay off, right? anyone else nearly exhausted? I had fantasies of just dropping dead in history class this morning. I felt so dizzy and weak I thought that I might pass out. took a nap this afternoon and let my girl watch 2 movies in a row with a plethora of snacks. I just lied on the couch with earplugs in, dozing for 3 hours. I feel great right now, for the first time in weeks. and here I am spending precious time reading on mothering..

(I rented a handful of dvds for her to watch so I could study, nice, huh?) well I found out she Loves scooby doo. I have never seen anyone get so into Scooby doo before. You know how scooby laughs like "hee hee hee hee hee hee?" my daughter squeals with laughter over that every. single. time.

oh, to be 3 and watch scooby instead of writing an annotated bibliography on the black power movement. (though I have to say, Angela Davis's work on the prison industrial complex have Really Amazed me. I think I have a new cause!)

good luck in all your finals, moms.
#253 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've decided I don't care anymore! I have 2 finals left to go. I'm not going to bother with busting my butt to get A's. Sometimes it's just not worth it! So I'll do a nice relaxed job and expect to get a B in everything, and maybe I'll be surprised by an A in one or two classes. I'm not going to fiddle with my term paper anymore.

Next term I'm taking Biology 102, Research Psychology, Health Psychology (400 level class) and an aerobics class just to be full time. I'm ambivalent about it. I'm looking forward to Spring when I can take the term off!
#254 of 288 Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 PM

I am getting my BA in Human Services/Management. I got my AAS about 10 years ago (gosh was it that long?) and joined the Coast Guard to get away and to get the GI Bill. I got married and had my first dd while I was in the Coast Guard. I married dh while I was in the Coast Guard. I got out when oldest dd was 1.5. I became a SAHM when she was almost 3. I kept saying I was going back. Finally, living where dh is going to be home every night at least for the three years I'm in school...I can do this. I am going to school online. I love it. It allows me to have a life apart from children and dh. I want to work as a Social Worker for the state of Alaska. I want to work in adoption. Not a lot of pay, but I really want to make a difference.

Anyway..love all the mommies who are making education, parenting, and the job of being a wife part of their lives. Yeah. I love talking to my children about what I'm learning (even at 6 and 2.5).
#255 of 288 Old 12-03-2004, 02:14 AM

I have my only final on monday and it MAJOR. All of my other classes (education) have final projects and portfolios, but this one instructor is insisting on a comprehensive final. No other instructors teaching this class are giving a final, but I lucked out and got the one who thinks testing every little bit of useless piece of info is important.

The week after next I have a final class, but it's just finishing up a few things and having a potluck. Don't mind that at all.

#256 of 288 Old 12-03-2004, 03:09 AM

I have my first final on Saturday and then 2 back to back on Tuesday. Usually profs give one hour of exam for each credit hour the class is worth (3 credit class - 3 hour exam) SO when I registered for the class that has the 9 am final I thought Id have enough time before my 1 pm final to at least take a breath and change gears. But no - its 3 75 minute questions with a 15 minute break. .

I am telling my self I can do this. I can write exams from 9 am to 4 to pm. And the test is the grade.

My grades really took a dive while I was pg and now Im sooooo close to graduating with honors, if I can just get through the next 5 days. :

And next semester.....

Feels good to read through the other posts and to know Im not the only over achiever
#257 of 288 Old 12-04-2004, 02:04 AM

wow all you mama's are working so hard good for you. i love to hear it, it inspires me.thanks
maya

#258 of 288 Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 PM

Now seems like a good time to join the thread-I can't believe the amount of work I have!!! (and the very little time) Anyway, I'm 29, I have an 18 mth old daughter, live in Vermont, am a senior at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley MA, and I think my final papers are going to kill me. Oh, and I am and Anthro major-Hist minor (hence the papers). I hate this point in the semester. Nothing seems to be going my way, and I have 0 motivation. I'm looking at two 15 page papers and an 8. Not at all fun. It's comforting to see that others are dealing with the similiar frustrations; I don't feel so alone.
#259 of 288 Old 12-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Banned

I just passed another clep

db
#260 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 AM

Well, I got a 95 on the abnormal psych final essay, and a 92 on the sociology term paper...just waiting on everything else. I know I'm getting an A- in psych, though.
#261 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 12:06 AM

db-

I just got my 10 page paper back and got 188 of 200 pts. I think I figured it to be a 94%. I took my final for the same class- hopefully did well enough to keep an A. I can lose up to 50 of 200 pts and stay high enough, but we had 4 essay questions worth 80 pts total and I'm not suree about those. The rest were t/f and mul choice- I think I did pretty well on those. I took almost the whole 2 hrs for my exam.

#262 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 AM

Ooh, another anthro major in our ranks! Cool! It does seem like I run into a lot of anthropology majors/degrees in the AP/NFL world!

I had my Spanish oral final last week and made a 91. Yippee!

Now I just have the two-part written final and the finals for my other three classes. It's such a relief to be near the end. I'm looking forward to our (short) winter break...then on the 28th I start a Winter Session class.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#263 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 12:57 PM

It's official guys!!! I'm done with my first semester at a university!!!!!
I'm so happy and so glad that I did so well in that class. Now the real test will come in Jan. when I'm taking more than one class, but at least I won't be working 50 hours a week anymore!!!!!
Hoorah! I can't wait until all the mamas here can join me in celebrating the end of the semester.
#264 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

I will be challenged when I take Statistics next semester (my first college math : )

At least I know Collegemama is right that's 94%
#265 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 02:45 PM

Statistics made me cry. It is a mean, mean class!
#266 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Banned

Worse than Calc?

db
#267 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 07:04 PM

I've never taken Calc...maybe that's why Stat was so hard. I just got done with Math 111 and that was bad enough. That's technically pre-calc. I'm sure never taking math online again. You're basically teaching it to yourself that way.
#268 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
Statistics made me cry. It is a mean, mean class!
Crap. I have stats and data analysis next quarter and I am dreading it with a capital D. :

I can't speak to calc. I managed to avoid it at all costs... gotta love a women's studies/English lit degree.
#269 of 288 Old 12-07-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeMama
It's official guys!!! I'm done with my first semester at a university!!!!!
I'm so happy and so glad that I did so well in that class. Now the real test will come in Jan. when I'm taking more than one class, but at least I won't be working 50 hours a week anymore!!!!!
Hoorah! I can't wait until all the mamas here can join me in celebrating the end of the semester.
Honestly, CollegeMama, compared to working FT and school PT, I think you'll find FT school a breeze. The nice thing about FT school vs. work is with school you can work when it's convenient for you- nights/weekends, etc. With work, you have to be there at set times. Also, with FT school, you basically know all your assignments upfront so you can budget your time as needed. It is SO exciting to be at the end of the semester. I only have one more class, but it's a potluck and I the teacher, so it will be a great day. I just need to turn in a couple of things and I get an A.

#270 of 288 Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Thanks Michelle, party time for you then! Congrats!!!!!
I can't wait until January! It does seem like it will be easier, but when I talk to people that I work with they look at me like I've grown a second head or something, like I'm crazy to attempt going to school while DS is a toddler.
Seriously, don't panic about Stats yet...give it a few weeks once your in the class to see how it goes. Sign up for tutoring now, so that if the time comes in the spring where you need help, you'll have already signed up for a good tutor. I know at my school, the good Stats tutors are the first to go, so they say to sign up as early as possible. You all will do fine though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page