Prof-Mamas, How's the Semester Going? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Kristin. It does seem like everything happens at once!

Ack - 3 people who didn't finish! That's not promising. If I don't take the job, then I should be able to finish my dissertation by the end of fall quarter (I hope!). My advisor thinks its doable as long as I have my 2nd paper submitted and my 3rd well outlined by the time I leave here. I would have to finish the following year though.

I am a geologist, and my son is almost 2. Right now he's in daycare 3 days a week, my dh watches him one morning, and a friend and I swap childcare so I get another morning to work. If I take the job, then he's in daycare FT - it's a bummer, but seems inevitable at some point.

If I don't take this job, then I finish midway through next year, job hunt, and try and piece together work for 6 months locally. It could work.

Are you actually getting tons of job postings for geologists in Minnesota? That's where dh is interviewing. I'll PM you if I can figure out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What kind of job do you want long-term?

If you are looking for a research university, then a postdoc is much, much better than a sabbatical replacement position. It might vary a bit by discipline, but in my field of geology a temp position would have more or less excluded me from any academic job. This is largely because it would be nearly impossible for me to get a job at a liberal arts college given my background. If you are looking for a teaching position, then this could be a really good opportunity and might be seen by colleges as really good teaching training. You also have the extra strike against you that you will have to pick up your family and move for a year without any sense of where you will be after that. Wanna know why I think so many women leave academia?

What does your advisor say?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM

I need a place to brag....

After a long week at home with a sick kid and my parents in town, I got back to my office today to find the summary of my student evaluations from last quarter. All seven students ranked my class and teaching a 5 out of 5.

Wow.

Wow.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
I need a place to brag....

After a long week at home with a sick kid and my parents in town, I got back to my office today to find the summary of my student evaluations from last quarter. All seven students ranked my class and teaching a 5 out of 5.

Wow.

Wow.

Great news! I received high rankings in my last evaluation, but there were a few comments that said I strayed from topic. :

This term is ending, but was very very hectic. Summer and Fall don't look any better!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
What kind of job do you want long-term?
I actually do want to teach long-term (rather than research), so this did seem like a step in the right direction. My advisor even gave me the thumbs up to go ahead. Unfortunately, after calling every colleague my hubby knows anywhere near the school, he found lots of people who were happy to hire him…if only they had funding. So it looks like a no-go.

I’m actually pretty bummed about the whole thing right now, not because this was my dream job (it was just a 1-year position after all), but because it seemed like my future was completely not up to me at all.

Quote:
You also have the extra strike against you that you will have to pick up your family and move for a year without any sense of where you will be after that. Wanna know why I think so many women leave academia?
Umm, yea, I can see that.

It doesn’t help that my hubby got to steal my spotlight by finally landing a tenure-track interview. Although… he did finally land a tenure-track interview, which really is good news.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Congratulations, Wendy! I'm not surprised, knowing you, but that's wonderful!

Now my turn to vent. I start teaching a spring term class today. It's twice as fast as a normal class, and I've never taught it before. The theory behind doing this is that it's an opportunity to get paid to prep a class I'll need to teach in my new job that starts this fall. All well and good....

except that I'm now 6 weeks pregnant and morning sickness has finally arrived. No puking yet, thank goodness, just nausea. And we co-sleep and DS was a total wiggle worm last night so I'm SO tired. And I'm having an aversion to coffee. Yawn - time to go inspire 25 undergrads to care about research methods. Argh!

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:13 AM

I just wanted to subscribe to this thread...I'm on leave this semester...

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 05-03-2005, 06:20 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that my class went fine. Nausea subsided and adrenaline kicked in before it started so all was fine

Thanks for listening to my whining earlier!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:43 PM

I'm glad it went well. I figured it would. Right now, I only feel ok when I'm absolutely motionless with my eyes closed or when I've got a good dose of adrenaline going....
Old 05-04-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Right now, I only feel ok when I'm absolutely motionless with my eyes closed or when I've got a good dose of adrenaline going....
so proposal writing season is a good thing then?

sorry you both are feeling icky.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 AM

On my last proposal, I would work for 10 hours straight, stopping just long enough to use the restroom. I'm working in 15-30 minute chunks now. It's not going very fast....
Old 05-04-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm glad it went well. I figured it would. Right now, I only feel ok when I'm absolutely motionless with my eyes closed or when I've got a good dose of adrenaline going....
Sorry Wendy, that sounds miserable! Glad you're getting some proposal done, though.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:52 AM

Hi Professor Mamas,

I'm considering joining your ranks in real time, so I thought I'd first join you in the virtual world and get your perspectives on combining AP parenting with academia. Right now I'm a telecommuting consultant, and in most respects, I'm very satisfied with my arrangement. The drawbacks are the isolation annd lack of real-time colleagues, and also the blurred home/work boundaries that can make it challenging to keep to a schedule. Plus the work isn't quite as guaranteed, although I've been consulting for four years with no lack of work. I have a year old dd and we're planning on having another baby in the coming year. My husband is in a career transition and is working part time, so he's able to do childcare at least part time.

How satisfied do you feel with your current situation? Do you find univ life sufficiently flexible and family friendly, or do you feel harried? Would I be nuts to give up my telecommuting/consulting gig???
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 AM

kaybee...I think I just saw an ad for your hubby's job talk tomorrow? Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-18-2005, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
kaybee...I think I just saw an ad for your hubby's job talk tomorrow? Let us know how it goes!
Yup - you saw correctly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes well. Apparently the department is planning on making a decision on Thursday morning, so we should know soon!

Meanwhile, the one-year position I turned down still wants to hire me. It's nice to still have it as a back-up.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:14 AM

what's with physics depts making hires at this time of year (we are done with finals)? My friend's husband (who is a physics prof leaving this university) STILL doesn't know where he's going. He has a job offer at one place and the second place he really wants the job but just interviewed last week.

but the cute house across the street from me is for sale, it would be fun to have another family there....

Old 05-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
what's with physics depts making hires at this time of year (we are done with finals)?
Disorganization

: kaybee! It's great to have a backup even!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margauxmama
Hi Professor Mamas,

Would I be nuts to give up my telecommuting/consulting gig???
Probably. Unless you crave the stimulation, frustration, juggling, and rare moments of elation of most professor positions. For me it's working out in the beginning phase of DS's life only because DH is staying at home (except for taking a couple classes and playing soccer) while I teach and because my mother moved from out of state to be able to babysit. We decided early on that we didn't want to have a child and just put him right into daycare (we were 37 when we had him, and felt like having waited so long we wanted to spend as much time with him as possible). So we have made the sacrifice of living on one income.

I'm torn because I really honestly love the research component of my job and worry that I won't be able to continue with that at the level I'd like to. I deal with it by doing the bare minimum for teaching and service and prioritizing my research time. Luckily I can do most of that from home (I'm in the humanities) and even often with the baby on my lap. I can't think of another job where I could spend as much time at home and still be out there among colleagues when I need and want to be.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
So, Rik got the job! Talk about a quick turn-around. It's tenure-track, it's a good situation for him, and the salary is even good. We like the place, it seems like a good place to raise kids, we have family nearby... BUT... Now comes the fun of sorting out how this affects my career (i.e. something about shooting myself in the foot).

I've waffled a lot lately about whether or not I really wanted to stay in academia, but I still don't feel ready to step off the boat yet. I still have 6 months on my thesis (and I just got "portable" funding for fall quarter!). I can still apply for jobs across the country next year - it just becomes that much harder.

Have any of you gone through a 2-career academic job hunt? With kids? The old stand-by of taking jobs in 2 places temporarily just isn't going to happen. I had Alex for 2 months on my own when I was running some experiments and it was awful. I don't want to do it again!

Ack! I feel totally split on this - both happy and frustrated at the same time.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 PM

YAY! on the job. this is such a small community -- in another aspect of my life I typically watch an outgoing physics prof's kids every wednesday and it came up that they were meeting that evening to discuss the new hire.

have you asked about the possibility of a position within the LLO or geology or NRRI for you?personally, I'd ask for a job for you and either way take the job with the plan to put both your names back into the hat next academic job cycle and see what comes out. You're still finishing your phd right? so theoretically you might be able to work out some kind of post doc with SAFL/NCED. Speaking of which, if you have some math skills I hear that Dr. JBS (who we both know) here in town is looking for a post doc to do something...but I err, forget what the grant he got was funded for so I don't have more info.

If you come just for a year, then it's like taking your one year position...only you're close to your family. If you can work something out longer so be it.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the ideas, Kristin. After emails and phone calls this week, things are looking good for both of us. So, unofficially... I think we'll be moving your way. It looks like UMD can set me up to finish my thesis efficiently in the fall, and I found a post-doc to start in the spring that looks interesting and flexible (and is mostly funded already!). I'm feeling much more positive about the whole move...

So now I really DO have to finish that thesis!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:45 AM

(I'm officially taking a break from MDC, but I couldn't resist posting to this, and I lost your email, ). PM/email me if you need anything, I'm easy to find these days.

subliminal message: there's a super cute house for sale two doors down that is screaming for a nice family to move into. on wyoming street....

Old 05-31-2005, 11:53 AM

Yeah, Kaybee!

Things are looking great!

Quote:
subliminal message: there's a super cute house for sale two doors down that is screaming for a nice family to move into. on wyoming street....
LOL. Kristin should get a cut of the realtor's commission!
Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 PM

I can't believe it! After nearly ten years of working on it, my book is finally out! It is such an amazing feeling! Just in time for tenure too...

I made it through the quarter, although it was pretty tough. DH stayed at home and was a part-time student. I biked home like a madwoman between classes to breastfeed. I didn't pump--rather we decided to go with a little bit of formula supplementation. Please don't flame--it's what worked for us during this 10-week period. Now I have the summer off, and will only be teaching one course in the fall (an hour a day four days a week, plus office hours and meetings). I'm sure I can get through that, having survived two courses this quarter. Then DS will be a year old!

We're a one-income household, with me as major wage-earner. It's a major priority for us to take care of DS ourselves. My mom has moved to town to be in on the child care. We're selling our house and buying one with a mother-in-law apartment to make that easier. We'll put him in part time daycare when he's three, just so he can socialize with other kids and we can get connected in the community. I'm so relieved and grateful that it looks like this plan is going to work.

Hope the rest of you are getting some rest and starting in on productive summers!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruditia
I made it through the quarter, although it was pretty tough. DH stayed at home and was a part-time student. I biked home like a madwoman between classes to breastfeed. I didn't pump--rather we decided to go with a little bit of formula supplementation.
yay! No flames here on choosing to supplement. I wish I had done more supplementation rather than basically sacrificing the whole first semester back to work.

(and great news on getting your book out too!).

Old 06-24-2005, 10:39 PM

Eruditia, congratulations on getting your book out!

I think it's time I posted an update. I survived the crazy fast spring 1/2 term class I was teaching, and I think I learned a lot to help me next time I teach a similar class. I just turned in grades today, and am looking forward to a few weeks to complete some research tasks before we move. We're moving to CA (SF Bay Area) for my tenure track job Aug 2, so I figure the last two weeks of July will mostly be spent packing home & office, running errands, etc.

We've been really excited about the move but I'm feeling really ambivalent and anxious about it this week. We had thought that my DH, who is giving up tenure to move with me, would likely get a lecturer position at my new school. But we found out Tuesday that he didn't get a position. He has a research associate prof position and a lab at my new school, but no salary. The problem is , we can't afford to have DS in daycare without DH having a salary, so when will he have time to work in his lab? Evenings and weekends? But then when will we have family time? And I know that DH doesn't really want to be a full time SAHD, so I feel sad that he may have to be for a while. We're confident that DH will eventually find a good position in the Bay area, as it's a good place for science jobs. It's just a question of how we get by in the meantime. This is complicated by the fact that I'll be on maternity leave with 55% pay from Jan - Aug of next year; financially that is going to be tough if DH doesn't have a salary. Right now we're not even sure we can afford the homebirth we've planned and look forward to. Ugh! I'm really excited about my new job, but pretty stressed about finances and being the sole breadwinner soon, with a reluctant SAHD...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:03 PM

Oh, no! That's awful, Amara! What changed about the position?

Hmmm, how many grants can Dave write in the next month? Does he have existing grants? Do they have rules about converting equipment/tuition money to salary? Have you guys looked into the cc's around in the area? There are a zillion good ones right near by.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:42 PM

Wendy,

Thanks for your support!

Quote:
What changed about the position?
I don't know that anything changed about the position. I think we were just overconfident about Dave's chances of obtaining it. The people Dave had spoken to who had urged him to apply (assoc dean and dept chair) and been optimistic about his chances turned out not to be on the selection committee. Plus, Dave didn't think this teaching demo was that spectacular, and he mostly talked with people about research during his job interview (it's what they asked him about and, to be honest, what he most likes talking about). Perhaps they worried that because he has lab space/resources, he would spend more time in the lab than teaching (compared to a lecturer without lab space). Perhaps it was a threat to tenure-track faculty or to the ability of the dept to have additional tenure-track positions approved, to have someone with a research appt and a lecturer position, who basically does the same things as tenured faculty, but without tenure. Really, we don't know why Dave didn't get the position. It may be clearer later, as he gets to know the dept (due to his research position).

Quote:
Hmmm, how many grants can Dave write in the next month? Does he have existing grants? Do they have rules about converting equipment/tuition money to salary? Have you guys looked into the cc's around in the area?
We've looked for other lecturer positions around the area, but it looks like they are all full for the fall. Dave does have a small amount of money in an existing grant that he can use to pay himself, but only about 15% of full salary. He doesn't have equipment money from the university - just a lab, equipment that's already there, equipment that he brings from his current lab, and use of shared lab equipment (such as NMR, etc).

Just yesterday, DH thought of a temporary solution, which I think will carry us through this year. We were going to pay off most of my student loans when we sell our house. However, if we don't pay them off, we can use that money for part-time daycare for DS over the next year. DH would be *much* happier with this situation, and more likely to have time to do work that leads to an income for next fall (writing grants, applying for jobs, publishing). We both agree that DH needs to have an income by next fall, and I am pretty confident that he will, one way or another. :
Old 06-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
Just yesterday, DH thought of a temporary solution, which I think will carry us through this year. We were going to pay off most of my student loans when we sell our house. However, if we don't pay them off, we can use that money for part-time daycare for DS over the next year.
That sounds like an excellent, low cost solution. Student loans are cheap.

If Dave's still interested in industry positions, Phil said he'd call his former boss for contacts.

Oh, and good luck selling the house! I hope the market there is still pretty good. When in doubt, throw a party.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
If Dave's still interested in industry positions, Phil said he'd call his former boss for contacts.
Thanks - I really appreciate that! I'll let you know more about Dave's plans as they unfold. Right now, Dave is trying to use this "setback" as an opportunity to clarify what he really wants. But I imagine he *will* be applying for at least some industry positions, since the academic market is so uncertain and we really need for him to have an income by fall 2006. What sort of industry is Phil's former boss involved in?

Quote:
Oh, and good luck selling the house! I hope the market there is still pretty good.
Unfortunately, the market here stinks for sellers right now. According to our realtor, who is very experienced, there have been 1.5 to 2x as many houses on the market at any given time this spring/summer than there usually are. But we're feeling a bit relieved because we've received an offer (as of Friday) that's less than we wanted, but that we can live with. Our realtor is working on the wording for our response, so hopefully the house will be sold soon. We had accepted another offer about a month ago, but it fell through. : that it goes through without a hitch this time!

Thanks for your support
Amara

User Tag List