Daycare and naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 8 months old and we are considering putting him in daycare 1 day a week b/c he loves other babies and doesn't have much opportunity to play with them. I'm concerned, however, about ds napping. Now he either nurses to sleep, or whoever's watching him that day (dh, my mom, my sis, or SIL) will give him his bottle and he'll fall asleep while being fed. I don't think he'd do well being put in a crib at "naptime," and I feel heartbroken at the thought of him crying in a crib. My question is: how do daycares handle naps for infants? What should I ask/look for? Or should I just wait until he's older? Will napping get easier then? Any advice, moms with experience? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Lots of daycares deal with this problem by handling naps for the kids the same way their parents do, if possible. If you find a smaller, maybe in-home daycare, where the caregiver can give each kid one-on-one attention, s/he might be willing to feed your son a bottle at naptime just as your other caregivers do when you're not around.

You also might find that your son is so tired from all the excitement of being at daycare that he goes to sleep without his usual routine. That was what happened with my dd. I think if you tell your dcp that under no circumstances should your child be left to CIO, they should respect and honor that. If they refuse, you probably have the wrong dcp!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 PM

My almost 6 month old has been in daycare 3 days a week for a little more than a month now. In the beginning, they mostly tried to do the equivalent of what we do at home - we often nurse to sleep, so they would give him a bottle, wait until he was fast asleep, and then put him the crib. Now that he's been there for a while and is getting used to their routines, they'll put him in the crib sleepy but not actually asleep, let him fuss for a couple of minutes, then jiggle or rock the crib or pat him to help him fall sleep. As his daycare provider said yesterday - he's a smart baby, he's figuring out the routine. I'm not worried that they'd ever let him do more than a little fussing - they're trying to put 6 babies to sleep at the same time - they're not going to use CIO or no one would get any sleep.

If your're thinking only one day a week, then your DS probably wouldn't catch on to the routine, so this might not work for him. But talk to your DCP and see what their philosophy is.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:43 AM

My daycare doesn't let babies CIO either - that would be awful. They do it the same way fiddledebi said, by giving a bottle, then waiting until sleepy and putting them in the crib. If they fuss, they pat them down and soothe them until they fall asleep.

It is amazing how babies can get used to a routine. At home I couldn't ever just put my daughter down for a nap - she'd scream and cry if I tried that without nursing her and letting her fall asleep on me. But everyone at the daycare tells me how wonderfully she falls asleep for them - she knows exactly what do do and is a "great sleeper." "Goes to sleep happy and wakes up happy."

So at home it is one way and at the daycare another. They do adapt.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2004, 04:54 PM

My day care did whatever the parent told them the baby was used to. A few of the kids were just put down in the crib and would fall asleep, but most were rocked. DS was always rocked. Once he moved to the "older infant" room (9 months to 15 months), they have scheduled nap times and they worked on teaching him to fall asleep himself. We had been working on that at home as well, so it wasn't hard for him. They don't CIO them though. They give them hugs and sippies and put them down. If they fuss, they rub their backs and talk quietly to them. If they cry, they pick them up and rock them.

Manda
Old 10-27-2004, 05:02 PM

I was also concerned about this when our son first went to daycare. But someone was always there to rock them to sleep or hold them. And, yes, they do adjust. His sleeping pattern at daycare was drastically different than home. At daycare, he would go to sleep after a few cuddles. At home it was nursing and cuddling. When he got moved to the older baby room, I would often find the caregiver there cuddled up on the floor (they didn't use cribs in there just mats), with a child in each arm and usually a couple others right next to her. She was mom to four of her own. There was only one instance where a child cried and that was because the child did not want to be held when he was tired. She tried and tried, but the only way he would calm down was to be laid down and let cry for a couple of minutes. He would go out pretty quickly after being put down.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:26 PM

My daycare doesn't do cio, but dd doesn't sleep much at daycare. DD falls asleep with a little rocking and they get her to sleep, but she needs a lot of help staying asleep so she ends up taking short naps at daycare.

I'm not really sure what you should look for or ask. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:59 PM

My daycare doesn't do CIO, either. In fact, dd sleeps more easily there than she does at home. They will feed her, rock her, or whatever she decides she wants to fall asleep if she is tired. My daycare lets infants set their own schedules, but usually the infant falls asleep when everyone else does, because the room is dark and quiet.

Before I put dd in this daycare, I hung out for awhile there (mealtime and naptime) without her, and then again with her, and watched how the dcp's interacted with the kids. That was much more informative to me about their practices than reading their papers. And it told me a lot that this center didn't mind if I just hung out whenever I wanted. They weren't scared of being observed.

Good luck finding the right place! They're out there....
Old 11-13-2004, 04:38 PM

My DS will NOT go to sleep at home without being nursed to sleep. BUT the DCPs can get him to sleep with no problem. They are very much against CIO - in fact they won't do it if parents ask them to do it (can you imagine?).

They are magical baby wizards - that's how they do it. Seriously, I've asked them time and time again HOW they get him to sleep and they say that they pat his back for 5 minutes and he just falls asleep.... Doesn't work at home for poor DH!

Laura

User Tag List