finding a good sitter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good babysitter? I am the single mom of three boys, and I haven't worked since I had my second son. I am currently taking full time classes online, but am feeling like I need to work to supplement my income. I know there are jobs available in my area in my field and that the pay would ensure I only really needed to work 2-3 days a week. Unfortunately that is 2-3 days more than my family can handle at this time.

I am really scared to leave my babies with anyone, they have never been left with anyone other than thier dad or grandma (once or twice my brother) before. Unfortunately thier dad lives on the other side of the country so he can't watch them.
#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 09:30 PM

Word of mouth is good.

However, when i needed a sitter ( like you, my kids were cared for by family while i worked), i found my beloved sitter through the county i believe....i put in my zip code, and up came all the licensed providers in my area.

I interviewed 25 before i found a gem called Linda. She happened to be an elementary school teacher with a 4 yr old at home. I loved her and so did my kids.

Where i live now, the on line library system has the same set up. go to the website and enter my zip code and up they came.

Good luck.
#3 of 4 Old 12-01-2004, 12:02 AM

I called up the local college's financial aid department as they had a list of people that wanted to earn money this way. When I was in college I did this too (but on the other end.) It has worked well for us.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2004, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestions At least I feel like I have a little direction now. I didn't want to start applying for jobs until I am sure my babies will be well cared for!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page