How to stop pumping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, in a couple more months DS will be one. I hate pumping, and I'm not very good at it. Right now I pump every night after DS goes to bed, and three-four times a day on the three days a week that I work. I'm planning to continue nursing for a long time, but I'd like to start phasing out the pumping after he turns one.

I'm looking for advice on how to do that. Right now DS gets three 4-oz bottles at daycare - morning, lunch and afternoon. Do I try to get him eating more solid foods to replace the EBM? Or just replace EBM with cow or goat milk after he's old enough?

I realize there's got to be a bunch of different methods that work (or don't) depending on the baby. Can you mamas share yours?
#2 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM

When I stopped pumping, it was over about a month. I was still pumping 2 times a day when Dot was 14 months. That is really when she started eating foods, so it seemed like a good time to stop pumping. I started by pumping for a shorter period of time during the first session until I had eliminated it all together, then did the same with the afternoon session. Dorothy never really took a bottle - she started with a straw or sippy around 6 months, so I just had dcp put dilute juice, water or milk in her cup. She loved the change LOL! She continued to nurse weekends, nights and mornings until she was 2.
#3 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 04:58 PM

I can't really give you any tips on how to get your DC off ebm, as I stopped pumping because mine just stopped taking it, no matter how it was offered.

But I can give you some ideas about how to wean yourself off the pump. Keep pumping at your usual times, and graaaaadually start pumping less, either by quantity or length of time. So if you usually pump 3 oz, then only pump 2.5 oz for a 4 or 5 days. Or if you pump for 20 minutes, then cut it down to 18 minutes. You get the idea. Gradually reduce your volume or time over the course of a few weeks. Then you can start dropping pumping sessions.

Go slowly. If you ever start feeling too full, you are going too fast.

IMO if your child is still nursing while you're together, and getting lots of fluids while you're gone, you don't *have* to replace the ebm with another milk. Water or diluted juice or teas are fine. My DD is almost 3 and still doesn't drink cow's milk, although she asks for soy once in a very blue moon.
#4 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started delaying pump sessions instead of shortening them.

My daughter also stopped taking EBM without replacing it with anything with calories. She still doesn't drink any milk. Make sure Liam gets about as much liquid (either as milk or water) and let him be in control of the total calories. That is, if it's just water and he's content, so be it. He'll nurse more at night.

As a caution, don't start dropping pumping before you know that he is taking something in its place, even if it's just water. Make sure he tolerates milk if you're going to give milk.
#5 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
I started delaying pump sessions instead of shortening them.

My daughter also stopped taking EBM without replacing it with anything with calories. She still doesn't drink any milk. Make sure Liam gets about as much liquid (either as milk or water) and let him be in control of the total calories. That is, if it's just water and he's content, so be it. He'll nurse more at night.

As a caution, don't start dropping pumping before you know that he is taking something in its place, even if it's just water. Make sure he tolerates milk if you're going to give milk.
I've already dropped from 5 pumping sessions per day down to 4 and now to 3. (I should really still be at four, but it's really hard to only work in less than two hour blocks, and three is easier for me to remember. With nighttime pumping I'm still managing to send the same amount of milk, more or less.) So I don't think dropping to two and then one will be difficult - and I'm not planning to do that for a few months yet. I'm more concerned with how to manage the transition for DS.

You say that your daughter "stopped taking EBM" without replacing it with anything caloric. What does that mean in terms of bottles at daycare? Did she just stop wanting them?

I guess a first start would be to get him drinking water more consistently out of a sippy. Right now he'll take a slurp or two and be done with it - I need to try some different styles of cup and see if there's one he likes better. And maybe flavor it with just a little juice to get him interested - he should probably be drinking more water already...
#6 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylc
You say that your daughter "stopped taking EBM" without replacing it with anything caloric. What does that mean in terms of bottles at daycare? Did she just stop wanting them?
In short, the bottles (or sippies with EBM in them) started getting launched across the room.

It was a lot of work for DH (SAHD at the time) to keep her happy and content during the 2-3 month transition. Eventually, they got into a routine of eating something around 10:30 am (crackers or Os) and she'd subsist on water for the rest of the day.

I think my daughter is on the fringe for how long it took her to get up and going with solids. She's still a rather limited eater, above and beyond the typical toddler stuff.
#7 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
In short, the bottles (or sippies with EBM in them) started getting launched across the room.

This is what my daughter does to bottles or sippies with EBM in them now. Consistently, for 2 weeks. But last Friday, she wanted and took a bottle from the dcp. But I am happily down to 1 pumping/day. I don't know how to trust whenever she's actually done, though.

Good luck to you, Tammy.
#8 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 PM

i also hated pumping and stunk at it. I started mixing her bottles with cows milk at ~1 year. At first about half and half and then mostly milk. I slowly phased out pumping by dropping 1 session at a time.

It really helped my daughter to always have access to a beverage. DCP would leave a sippy with water that she was able to bring around dc. at home we did the same.

my dd was a big solids eater as I struggled with poor milk supply. She still is a major eater - she'll eat basically anything.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 12 Old 02-21-2005, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I should note that Liam is a pretty good solids eater. It varies from day to day and week to week, but he's coming along. And seems mostly happy to substitute food for milk - useta be if I was leaving him with a sitter for even just a couple of hours I'd have to leave milk. Now I can leave food and that keeps him plenty happy. This has taken a lot of the stress off of me. Lately I've been struggling to send the full 12 ounces to daycare, but if I can only send 11 ounces, I know he'll just make it up with food.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll just keep watching his cues and see how it goes.
#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2005, 02:47 PM

Our ds' are almost the same age! I also plan to stop pumping when ds turns one, or somewhere around that age. I can already see though that he's weaning himself off the bottles, so I don't think it will be an issue. Basically, he's replacing bottles with solid food and water. At 9.5 months, he's already weaned himself off the morning bottle.

This is how it happened with dd too...as she started eating more and more solids, she would start rejecting bottles. By 11 months, she was pretty much rejecting all morning and afternoon bottles (although I was still going to nurse her during my lunch break) so I quit pumping. She was fine with it!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#11 of 12 Old 02-23-2005, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. Liam *loves* his bottles (and his boobie) - so I don't see him rejecting them on his own anytime soon.

Oh well. I'm not opposed to him drinking cow or goat milk, so maybe we'll just slowly switch him over to that if he doesn't show any signs of wanting to let go of the bottles. Of course, maybe he won't be so interested in bottles that don't contain yummy mommy milk!
#12 of 12 Old 02-24-2005, 11:26 AM

I had the hardest time pumping, I couldn't keep up and had no freezer stash whatsoever. Around 7-8 months my son started eating more than I could pump so I started giving him solids, and he took to them very well. By the time he reached a year old I just stopped pumping altogether...I think it was a Tuesday and 10:30 rolled around, and I said, "Ah, screw it, I'm not pumping today." And that was it It was definitely more to save my own sanity because I was going nuts...I'd get between 5-10 ounces a DAY, even with four pumping sessions. It was dismal.

We still nurse A. LOT. and I'm still visiting him every day on my lunch break to nurse, so he gets lots of mama's milk. I gave him water to drink and solid food and he was fine with that. Once he turned 18 months old I started packing 6 ounces of soy milk in a sippy cup for him at daycare, he really likes it but I'm careful not to overdo it.

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page