I've Been Offered A Job!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...now the negotiations commence. More later.
#2 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Can't wait to hear the details. Good luck!
#3 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 PM

How wonderful! Congratulations!
#4 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 01:32 PM

:

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#5 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Dartmouth? Where you are now?

Dish! Dish!

#6 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's at a state land-grant on the west coast (pm me if you want specifics). I'm not sure they'll be able to get up as far as I need them to w/ salary. I was hoping to make more than I'm making now, and I don't know if they can even get to my current salary.

Tenure track, too, so it'd be 6 yrs until I'd be looking at a big raise. Only 2 yrs if I wait around here. OTOH, that's 2 more yrs of dealing w/ this place.

Plusses are that it's only 90 min. from my parents, it's a nice town, and it's a good library & good director.

Bottom line is that I don't think we can go if they can't match my salary.
I HATE this.
#7 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Oh, how exciting!!

Congratulations!!

I hope the salary negotiations work out well....keep us posted.
#8 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:

WOOHOOO!!!!!!

Congratulations! I know where it is, too.... I saw another thread. I'm soooooo jealous. They didn't want me there.

Negotiations: good luck on the salary. With land grant universities, you're likely stuck on a salary table, so you negotiate your starting "grade" instead of the salary. That can be a toughy, and really dependent upon the mood of the dean and the chair. You might be able to negotiate other things, like benefits (cover DH and DD without your contribution?), child care (or at least admission to the on campus care?), travel, home purchase help (either down payment or lower interest loan), etc. Get maternity leave policies spelled out with regard to tenure review, as well as publication, service, grant $$ criteria.

Definitely ask about home purchase help. That's a biggie. I have a friend who was able to buy a house in Santa Monica ($$$$) on a prof salary with a down payment grant and 3% loan.
#9 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 PM

: YAY!!!

For me this:
Quote:
Plusses are that it's only 90 min. from my parents, it's a nice town, and it's a good library & good director.
Would be worth a small salary cut. To fly from midwest to see your folks is like a thousand bucks for the whole family. Factor that one in. Especially as Clara gets older and you have to buy a tix.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're living in a nice town already. So that's an even trade.

DH may be able to get work as a writing instructor there or nearby. He could conceivably do that here, too, but somehow it seems more likely there. Don't know why.

I'm 2-3 yrs away from promotion & 15% raise here. OTOH, my lib director is totally ineffective.

I'd be 6 yrs away from promotion & 10% raise there. OTOH, the lib director is awesome.

Here's something odd--probably about 20 FTE librarians on staff. Only one other has small children. I'm wondering if OR's skimpy FMLA policy is the cause (12 weeks unpaid, period).

Assuming they come back w/ less than I'm making here, I'm going to ask for the wkd to think about it and do some more research. THey're hoping for an answer tomorrow, but if they really want me they have to give me time to balance the books...
#11 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Look up salary comparitives through the AAUP. That's a really strong point to start from.

Having a good chair means a lot. I can attest to that from the "bad" side of things. You haven't sounded very happy in your job for a long time now. That means something major to me.

Oh, yeah, no sales tax in OR, and property taxes tend to be lower in the western states. You might pay higher income tax, but your purchasing power may still be somewhat higher than in WI.

How do retirement savings compare between the two positions? Health care? Parking/transportation costs?
#12 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wendy, do you know where on AAUP I'd find the comps? Or is it a print publication, not online?
#13 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Um, I think you can only get the online version if you're a member. I found a print copy in my university library
#14 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, well, if I were in the MAIN library I could do that. But alas, I'm in a lowly branch library, 1.5 m from the center of campus, and health sci tends not to purchase things like that. Oh well. Maybe I'll have a chance to stop by tomorrow.

In other news, this popped into my email about 1/2 hour ago....

Quote:
Greetings, Erika. I hope you're well.

I thought I'd alert you that Dartmouth will soon be advertising for the
attached position, Head of Education and Information Services. It's an
evolution of the Education Coordinator position for which you interviewed. {etc etc., Bill}
They made it into supervisory. Umm, you decided I wasn't qualified before, when it *wasn't* supervisory. Why do you think I'll be able to get it now? And why would I WANT it? The beauty of the original job is that it wasn't supervisory at all--just program coordination.

I'm off to buy ice cream. Back in a bit.
#15 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
...I'm off to buy ice cream. Back in a bit.
Ya know? That's a really good idea.

See y'all in a min.
#16 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 PM

Holy crap. Dontcha love academia?

Man, that has me cracking up.

I vote for mint chip..... For dinner.
#17 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

mmm...chocolate peanut butter.

It'll be scrambled eggs, ham, and onion bagels for dinner, ladies. It's 47deg. outside & I have the potential happiness & long-term stability of my family on my hands. If anything ever called for comfort food, that does.

And now...
as I await their counter-offer, I have to figure out why exporting from EndNote to tab-delimited format is failing miserably. But first, a new thread.
#18 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
I have to figure out why exporting from EndNote to tab-delimited format is failing miserably.
'cuz Endnote sucks.
#19 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 06:10 PM

I'm too tired to eat dinner, even if it were ice cream.

I HOPE I can get to sleep by 7. :

#20 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
'cuz Endnote sucks.
Silly me, ignoring the obvious again.

I'm partial to RefWorks, but it refuses to include grant ID #s in the records, and there's no way to tweak it & make it do it. Rrg.
#21 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
'cuz Endnote sucks.
I agree!!!

When I saw that Nate had posted again, I had to check and see if they'd come back with a good salary or not....

But now I see that you're chatting about EndNote. I *hate* that program. I wound up making my own Access database (where things are as truly relational and normalized as I can make them) 'cuz I hate that program so much. And don't get me started on ProCite.

Hope you beat it into submission....
#22 of 35 Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Salary offer: 2k more than they initially offered, almost 4k less than I'm making now. Another year or 2 until the possibility of even COLA increase (which would probably be 2%). 6 years until tenure review and the possibility of a 10% raise...which would bring us to where I am now.

Haven't said no yet, but it doesn't look good.
#23 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 AM

#24 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
PM
Banned

Somehow when I saw this title on the front page I had the intuition it was you. But, um, HELLO?? Don't I get the news first?? I'm joking. Really I am. OMG we may actually see each other one day now! If I ever make it home with two kids.

Oops. Just saw your most recent post. I'm sorry.
#25 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 AM

Wow, that salary difference sucks. That makes the decision tough. That's their first offer, though, right? Remember that you can negotiate. Your current salary is certainly a really good position to argue from.

Still advocating for taking the job...
Have you looked at those cost of living calculators? I found a couple that have your current town in them. I didn't find any yet that had your new town in it, but I don't know the Oregon regions that well. I compared your current location to Salem, OR and came up that $50k now for you is equivalent to $46k in Salem.
http://www.cityrating.com/costofliving.asp
#26 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

No, that's pretty much the final offer. First offer is 39, 2nd is 41, I'm making almost 45 now & in 3 years will probably be up to 50. I'd be looking at 10 yrs there before I'd make that much.

Looking at lots of things, including the ability of dh to get a job there vs here, free childcare a couple of days a week, etc. But it's pretty hard to say "Oh, okay, I'm going to agree to at least 2 years of making 4k less than I do now and another 4 of making almost 10K less than I will soon."

Not a lot of sleep last night.

Ellie, I'd hoped to email you separately with good news!

Thanks everyone. I'll keep checking your responses today, but probably can't write much b/c I start crying, and I'd really rather not have puffy eyes all day.

Also I need to solve this EndNote problem...

You know, I really wish there were a way to have a working mamas get-together. I know I haven't been around much lately, but you guys rock.
#27 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 12:07 PM

Eeek, I didn't realize that was the second offer.

Even if you turn the job down, remember that this is a huge affermation of your abilities in your job. Another university offered you a position (better than the current and more status). People external to your current work recognize the quality of your work.

Yeah, EndNote sucks. It doesn't deal with the doi stuff right -- I have to fix it every time, and Why, oh Why did it suddenly decide that my proposal is some sort of outline?!?
#28 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Oh Nate, I'm sorry to hear that they aren't willing to come up decently close to your current salary.

Everything Geofizz said is so true, though. You know you do good work and would be valued and appreciated in places other than your current job.
#29 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Hi Nate!

I had to reply because well, what a small world!

If you were getting ice cream where I think you might have been getting ice cream, then we work *very* close to each other.

AND

I happened to spend almost 10 years living in a smallish college town in Oregon.

My advice...

MOVE!!!

Seriously, sell your house for a ton of $$$ and have an amazing adventure! Real estate is crazy here and you could buy a similiar home for a lot less. Not to mention no sales tax, no winter and family nearby!

Quote:
I'm making almost 45 now & in 3 years will probably be up to 50
What I notice in this statement are ALMOST and PROBABLY. Really, there are no guarantees and it sounds like you were offered an overall better job. Several Gs is nothing, in the grand scheme of things- especially given the difference in housing markets. Also, as I am sure you know, taxes are like the 3rd highest in the country here.

If you don't want to move because you love it here, have lots of friends, etc- that is great! BUT, if you really want to move and the only thing holding you back is the money- I say go for it because it will really balance out!

Good Luck!
#30 of 35 Old 05-13-2005, 06:38 PM

A 4000 a year paycut is $77/week (actually 76.92). With a lower cost of living and increased opportunities for your dh (and saving on daycare) you are most likely looking at an increase. Plus, just b/c you're on track w/your current job, doesn't mean you'll acutally be there. If you hate this job, but love the new one- you'll be so much happier. How much will you make selling your house- what could you buy in the new area? How are the schools, etc?

Personally- I'd seriously consider it.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page