How bout a 'taking babies/toddlers to work tribe?' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I'm not sure if this should go here or in working parents)

I'm in a position where I work full time and then some (although I do some work from out of the house, much of it is in the office). I'm lucky in that I can bring ds with me to the office, so I don't have to use daycare at all. (our only good childcare option where we live is only for kids 2 and older anyway)

I've seen from other posts that there are other people here who do the same, (Mothering even had an article, and a beautiful web presentation on babies at work) and I'd like to form a tribe to talk about some of the unique things that arise, things that help, etc.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Another thought, probably a lot of WAHM deal with the same kind of things, i.e. how to keep your dc happy when you are working, etc.
I've experimented with slings, looking for something that ds is happy with when I'm at the desk (I do a lot of work on a computer), but that only works if he's asleep, otherwise, if he's in the sling or the Ergo, he's only happy when I'm moving around.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Only have a minute (packing up to take my crew to work) but wanted to say hi.

I own a chilldren's resale shop so our work environment is kid friendly to say the least. My moms know that when push comes to shove everything stops when my kids need my attention, which is especially difficult now that my daughter is pretty much potty trained at home but needs extra guidance while at the store. Fortunately my children are pretty low maintenance as far as a 2 and 5 month old go. Their personalities also seem well suited to dealing in retail so that's another plus

Look forward to hearing about your situation and the rewards and challenges it brings

Kia
Old 05-16-2005, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:

I'm planning on taking #2 to work with me at least for the first 10 months or so. I'll need to hire sitters to come to my office during teaching hours. I'm interested to hear how people do it. My current concern is how my coworkers (all men) will react.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I do most of my work in my office, so here's a few things that have worked so far:

1. I keep a file cabinet drawer (will need to expand to 2 I think) for diapers, a change of clothes (for both of us), washclothes, wipes, etc. I CD at home, but it's not really feasable at work, so I use sposies (usually 7th gen). To keep the office fresh, I got a stash of ziplock bags from a lab down the hall that ordered too many. I put the dirty dipes in there, and then either dump them in the dumpster and save the bag, or bring them home at the end of the week, and dispose of them there. That way the cleaning staff doesn't have to deal with a trash can full of dipers.

2. I organized my office so that there is a big section of unfurnished space. Part of that space I use for a changing area, and the rest is space for ds to play.

3. I have a swing chair and an exercaucer that just live in the office. I probably wouldn't have even gotten these kinds of things if I was at home, but they really are a big help here (especially the swing, it's where ds naps).

4. Most of the people at work know that ds is in the office with me. I keep my office door closed but not locked, and people just knock if they want to come in. I work in a very multi-cultural environment (a large percentage of my coworkers are men from Islamic countries or China), and not everyone who works here is ready to walk down the hall and see me sitting at my desk breastfeeding.

5. I have two coworkers that I spend most of my time working with. I've set up an IM program with them, and we use it to take care of a lot of things that I used to run down the hall to talk to them about. I've also set it up so that they can tell if I'm in the office or working from home.

6. I don't have a need for a baby monitor at home, but I got one as a gift, so I brought it to the office. I use it so that I can run down the hall (mostly to use the bathroom) when ds is asleep and keep an 'ear' on him.

7. I keep my jogger in the office and we go out for a run every day that I'm here for the full 8 or so hours. Ds really likes going in the stroller and it's a nice break. I also keep my carrier with me (either a sling or an Ergo) and if it's nice, we try to find some excuse to go for a walk. At lunch we all go outside if the weather is good, and ds sometimes goes to a little playground.

I'm lucky with dh in the same building, he can take over for me when I need to go to a meeting or something like that. He does lab work (he, however, squeezes water into rocks and then back out again )so he can't watch him all day, but he is a great backup.

One issue I'm dealing with right now is that ds is teething (has been kind of grumpy and loud all week) He doesn't cry much, but sometimes he makes this screeching sound when his teeth are bothering him. Of course, being his mom, I think it is the loudest, most troubling sound on earth, and I just imagine my coworkers running out of the building with their hands over their ears! Usually, a change in activity and some hylands tabs helps him feel better (i.e. if he's in my lap, I'll put him down on a blanket for some floor time, and vice versa) and if he gets really upset, I'll grab the sling and we'll go outside for a bit.

I probably get in about 5-6 hours of actual work during an 8 hour day, but I try to put in more time every evening after he goes to bed, and a few hours on the weekends. I also try to be a bit more efficient (and on that note, ought to get back to work )

Old 05-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the list of tips!! Those are fantastic. Especially #6... I was wondering how I'd pee.... I've done it with the sling a few times, but generally only under duress.

Back to :
Old 05-16-2005, 05:25 PM

:

I'm very interested in this topic and I think it could work for me but my lab (only computers) is in a building with biochemistry labs and although there are never real emergencies or real danger outside of the labs, there are always low levels of solvents, etc. in the air, not so good for baby! Maybe in a another building on campus, but then I might as well stay home...

I was wondering, how many hours, days a week do you do this? How does it work for your pay? Do you have free time with baby too for chores, errands, walks???

Sounds great!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Will post more later but - what a great idea! I bring my daughter to work fairly regularly and did so with my son as well.

I'm a human resources director in a large non-profit and my bringing my kids to work has paved the way for others....

gotta run to a meeting!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM

also watching for ideas. with dd it was totally impossible. I was going to work from home, but she was just a "fussy" baby and the work that I was doing required two hands for typing, etc. I'm planning on taking #2 to work with me at least for 4 months among other reasos: so I can get my milk supply off to a good start (and because I no longer have a dishwasher, meaning we'd have to boil bottles and pump parts. ick).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
I'm interested to hear how people do it. My current concern is how my coworkers (all men) will react.
I suspect many will be skeptical that you will be able to get your work done, but you'll show them that it works just fine. I also suspect that with time it will be a good thing for the department in that they will likely stop by in a grandfatherly way to say hello.

I think you should begin scoping out good graduate students for sitters -- they are there all day anyhow and would proabbly welcome making extra bucks and extending the work day by and hour and a half or so.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwomantomars

I was wondering, how many hours, days a week do you do this? How does it work for your pay? Do you have free time with baby too for chores, errands, walks???

Sounds great!
Love the user name!

These days, my office schedule is pretty much 8:30-5 on M,W and F, and 9-12 on T-Th, although I'll stay in the afternoon if anyone needs me to. While I'm in the office, we take breaks and go for walks around campus or just play on the floor. We live pretty far from where we work, so we do errands in town before we come home, or if we have to do a lot of grocery shopping, we save it for the weekend. I try to spend most of T -Th afternoon playing with ds (he also likes to help me fold laundry and loves to go out and care for the garden so I get a lot of stuff done around the house) When he naps in the evening, I get in a couple more hours of work.

I'm salaried these days, so hours aren't a huge issue. When ds was first born, though, I was hourly, but I was able to record all hours that I worked, not just the ones at the office, so it still worked out OK. It's not uncommon around here for people who aren't in the labs to work from home, especially if they have deadlines coming up and want to hide out.

I think looking for a student to do a bit of in office sitting is a good idea! I may do that myself, when I need to attend a talk or meeting when dh isn't around.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:02 PM

Ok, taking a little break from a busy day and thought I'd pop on here. As I mentioned before I'm in human resources for a large non-profit and i bring my kids to work fairly regularly.

My son came with me 1 -2 days a week as a baby until he was about 8m and started crawling. He figured out how to climb up a chair and open my door to escape very early on :LOL

My daughter comes whenever dad and ds need a boys day or just whenever I think the office needs (or I need) some Bella time Kids in the office can have a way of lightening the mood and making ppl feel good in general.

Both my kids have been very content babies. They are fine whether in a sling, back carrier or hanging out on the floor playing. On occassion I've asked co-workers to watch them for very brief periods of time but I make sure not to make a habit out of it. They have typically accompanied me to meetings and I avoid bringing them on days when I have long meetings scheduled.

That's my deal...now for others in the office.

We have no formal written policy about kids in the office.
We've had several moms and dads who have either brought their kids in daily or occassionally and the same basic guidelines sit for all kids, regardless of age. You are welcome to bring your kids in as long as it does not hamper your overall productivity. In otherwords we look at the whole picture and not isolated incidents/days if there is an issue. I personally find that I get more done on days when my babies are with me - probably because I'm out to prove a point (although it's already been proven a dozen times over).

There have been two occassions when we've asked parents to find other arrangements. Beyond that, we've had great success.
For the most part, supervisors are happy with kids here as well. I did have one supervisor tell a mom she couldn't nurse in her cube and blamed HR for the directive. :LOL as if I would suggest something like that?!?!? When dd is with me she spends half her time nursing whether we are alone or in a room full of colleagues.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

We just had a good week at work last week, and things are looking pretty good this week as well. Ds just went through a 'teething phase' and now has 2 teeth and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable anymore. He's really getting into floor play, so i've been babyproofing the office and letting him just hand out on the floor. He can cover a lot of ground moving backwards and rolling, just not going forward.

One of my big concerns is that he is bothering the folks in the nearby offices, but last Fri., the person in the office next door to me stopped me in the hall. I was expecting him to say something about the noise (ds is working on finding his voice, and loves to make a lot of sounds, some soft and babbling, some loud and screechy!). He told me that he could hear ds, and he though he sounded lovely! That made me feel so happy, I think having ds here is brightening people's day! Right now he is sleeping in the sling as we sit at the desk.

Back to work!

Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 PM

I only have a sec b/c i have to go to work, but i love this idea! I am desprate to have a group of mom's who understands what this is like.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 PM

I've decided that I really can't bring Leigh to work with me for now, because there is a very slight risk of her breathing in chemicals, since I work in a building with biochemical labs .

But it's hard for me to work from home because I keep being distracted by the mess !

I am supposed to return to my lab in september but I would like to continue to work from home at least parttime. My lab director is very conventional and I need to demonstrate that I can work well from home, because I'm worried he won't want to count my hours from home.

The only way I can do this for now would be to work from home but to "pretend" I'm at work (we have a separate room for our "office" and I could theoretically do all my research from home, via the internet): set work hours, maybe change Leigh in the office room, no cleaning, organizing the apartment during those hours.

That's why I like this thread. I could use the tips I find here even if I work from home for now. The I'll see how efficient I can be while working with Leigh, in case I have an opportunity later on to bring her on campus to work with me (maybe in a different building)...

Thanks for the info on the hours and days you work with baby! That sounds impressive to me!

Have any of you worked from home too?

Have a nice week!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwomantomars
The only way I can do this for now would be to work from home but to "pretend" I'm at work (we have a separate room for our "office" and I could theoretically do all my research from home, via the internet): set work hours, maybe change Leigh in the office room, no cleaning, organizing the apartment during those hours.

I was just thinking about this this morning. My dh works from home and I get frustrated because he's home and doesn't get anything (house related) done. This morning I finally realized it's because he doesn't do any house chores while he's working that he manages to effectively work from home. I on the other hand tend to put in a load of laundry, sweep the floor, etc.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM

HI
I do a combo of working from home and working form the office. I've done it with both my boys (4 yo and 1yo). My 4 yo is attending a Waldorf inspired preschool this year full time but he is always welcome to come whenever needed (vacations, illness etc.). I brought him with me since he was 1 mo old. He has developed into such a social bug from being around everyone....and he has also gained many aunties and grandmas. My 1 yo has come since 1 mo as well. He is a bit more of a mamma's boy but has still begun to make some very sweet relationships with coworkers.

I am a social worker. I used to run a program and work with the children prior to Ds #1's birth...after him though I began working with the billing aspect of the agency so that I could work from home. I work 4 days a week for 3 hrs each day in the afternoon so that Dh can take the kid(s) after he is done with his work. We were just able to begin doing this with Ds#2 as he really wanted just to be with mamma, not even dad. But, now he has a lot of fun with his dad and his big bro. So, he is with me for about an hour each day at work. The rest of my hours (32/wk) are done at home, mostly on the weekends but some in the AM before we go to the office. I pretty much do whatever is needed....and Dh has a pretty flexable schedule so that he can help out as well. Like yesterday for example I had a meeting out of town (1 1/2 hrs away ) the whole family went along and Dh took the kids to the park while I was at my meeting.

It is stressful for me at times as I really feel pulled in many different directions. But, most of the time I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to meet our finaancial needs while also raising our children.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:38 PM

Hi all,
I was just wondering how you all proposed bringing your baby/toddler to work with your respective bosses?

We are ttc #2 and I'm thinking this might be a great option for us IF I can present it well...

My main hurdle is that I work for a small and very new company. My co-worker is the first to be pg - so they had to slap together a maternity policy. THere is definitely not an abundance of empty offices and my cube is about the size of a bathroom stall

TIA!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

You know, in my case, it was more the suggestion of the boss and my immediate supervisor. At first, I thought dh and I would do some crazy kind of flex time, where he would maybe come in really early and put in 8 hours, then I'd come in and put in 4-6 hours while dh was with ds and do the rest of my work from home. I wasn't looking forward to doing that, though, because we have quite a commute. Then the big boss (director) told me I was welcome to bring the baby or work from home as much as I wanted to, and my supervisor basically said the same thing.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:43 PM

So glad I found this forum!
I'm due in July and work for a large university as assistant to three professors. All three are very supportive and working with me to arrange a work from home situation for at least the first few months back (I plan to cut my three month leave short in exchange for the ability to work from home/have a flexible schedule of when I come in and still get paid for full time). Most (99%) everything I do can be done online, but I think that it would be too weird for them to give up my actual physical presence in the department completely. That is where bringing baby to work comes in. One of them even mentioned it offhand without prodding, but I'm trying to find the perfect way to begin the discussion. I'm not terribly concerned about the three faculty I work for-I think that they would do most anything to keep me around, but I am concerned about the attitude of the Department head and other admin. assists. who might view this as 'unfair'. The assumption is that I will put little peanut in daycare either full or part time because that is what they all did, but this is something I really wouldn't consider. I would honestly walk away from this cushy job with great benefits and get a job waiting tables evenings when DH is home before doing so.

DH is lucky to be the only employee of his non-profit job-he's got the entire office to himself and having a baby around would be a real treat for him. I think that as baby gets older this will be the perfect solution for us as there will be no other employees to bother and DC will have the run of the place, but I'm thinking that at least for the first 6 months I should have baby-duty. Mainly I'm thinking about nursing and really not wanting to have to be plugged into the pump all day. I do plan to breastfeed as long as babe wishes, so there will be pumping in my future, but I'd rather deal with it later than sooner. Do you think that 6 months is a good estimate for the switch?

Sorry for the long rambly post......
Old 05-26-2005, 02:36 AM

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to bring ds to work with me in the fall. I am in school now, and ds is due in July, but dh and I can't really afford for me to be a SAHM (we will make it work somehow if we have to, but I'd much rather find a job to which I could bring ds.) So far I've been looking only at jobs that seemed like they might cater to this need particularly (day-cares, maternity stores, stores with baby stuff, etc.) I have had a few leads, but most, when I tell them that I will only be able to accept the job if I can bring ds to work with me, turn me away. Have any of you been through the process of looking for a job, knowing that you would want to take your baby or toddler to work? I'd love some tips if you have any.
Thanks,
Hilary
Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Hillary Anne- Have you considered nannying? I don't know if you have any experience with this type of thing but many people who need full or part time in home child care are open to other peopl bringing a babyas long as they apear able to manage it.

I worked at my job for five years before i got pregnant both full time and part time depending on wether or not I was in school. Before I even got pregnant i asked my boss if she would be open to the idea of me dropping down to 20 hours a week and bringing a baby. She was very supportive. It has been a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I never pictured having a high needs baby. I thought my baby would nurse once in the 4 hour period that we are at work and take at least one long nap :LOL That is actually funny looking back on it. Now that we are into thew fifth month it is getting better. my main concern now is if i will have a job next year. i want to be a SAHM but Dh and I need my piddly salary

I have thought about looking else where. For a job with children i am less emotionally involved in. Maybe something where I meet older kids when they get home from school or something...I don't know just rambling at this point.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 05-27-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking that nannying might be good as well. Also, if you are in school, you might be able to do something through that. The college where I did my M.S. used to maintain a list of tutors that they would give out to interested high school students or college students. I had a couple of other part time jobs, but I stuck my name on a list as a math tutor, and couldn't keep up with all the work I got. Check out your school for ideas like grading papers, etc. as well.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

swebster - it sounds like you've got a good plan there, and I'd bet that if you have the profs. you work for on your side the higher ups will probably go for it. My little guy is now a bit over 6 months, and I think he'd be comfortable spending the day with dh if our situtaiton allowed. (dh works in a lab, so while he brings ds into his office when I need to go to a meeting or something, he can't watch him all day)

Old 05-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm really excited because I met a mom on the bus who is a freelance graphist and who works from home with her baby and brings him to visit clients. She said "it is possible" to work with a baby, and with time and experience you learn tricks and tips. My work would be similar as I use the computer to model molecular structures.

I was wondering what you all thought of using a playpen. On the one hand, it seems that it would be too confining for a baby, but on the other hand, if I used it for twenty minutes a few times a day, I could watch Leigh play and get some work done.

Do any of you use or have you used a playpen (outside or inside the home) when you work with baby? If so, what age was your baby when you started using it and what age when you thought he/she was too old for it?

Have a nice weekend!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

We just got a playpen, and it's at the house right now, but we may take it to work. I got it becase although ds isn't exactly crawling yet, he covers a lot of ground and it gives me a place that's safe when I need to go to the bathroom, cook dinner, etc.
We've only been using it for a few days, though, so I don't know how it's going to work. II'll report back more.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:52 PM

I wandered over here from a link ahtansor posted in another thread. I'm so glad I'm here, though! I'm due in three weeks, and am planning on bringing my baby to work with me, for the most part, but also to work a bit from home and to have grandma watch the little one maybe once or twice a week.

I'm in a very unique situation, though, in that DH and I own our own business, so I basically set the rules and regulations :LOL I know, it sounds like a great set up, but really, sometimes I think it's harder than working for a regular boss. When I worked in a regular office, I didn't have to go home and make dinner for my boss, KWIM? :LOL

So, the working with baby thing will be a big experiment for us. I know that I have a tendency to get sidetracked with things I WANT to do, as opposed to things I HAVE to get done; but luckily, DH generally keeps me on track with his annoying nagging questions :LOL ("did you call this guy yet?" "do you have those numbers?" "have you heard from...?" )

Thanks everyone for the tips so far. I'm so excited to get started!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say YES It can work. I brought Gigi to work with me part time (2 days a week) from about 1 month old until she was almost 18 months. My bosses originally suggested it, but then backed down when I was about 7 months pg. Bad idea! Don't mess with the pg lady! After a couple tearful meetings (hormones) they agreed to give it a try.

Productivity seems to be the main issue for most bosses. I was in the office about 7 hours most days, and really busted out the work while Gigi was napping, eating or playing quietly. Then when she was fussy, I could spend more time interacting with her without falling behind on deadlines.

Our office is open plan, no cubicles or walls at all. I used a small floorspace next to my desk and put a foam bumper pad around it until she was walking (late at 15 months), then gated it. I nursed at my desk or in the conference area. I didn't use a swing or playpen, but I can see that those would be useful. I just didn't have the space. I did buy (ebay) a folding cardboard portacrib thing that is basically a cardboard box about 8" tall and 24 x 36 with a mattress inside it. I made a plushy cover for the whole thing and she napped under my desk no problem at all, usually 2 hours at a time.

When Gigi got to be about 6 months old, I started taking her to a daycare center about 1 mile from work for 1/2 day per week. I chose the most active part of her day for that (it switched between a.m. and p.m. as she grew). Eventually I worked up to 2 half days per week, then at 18 months, 2 full days. My mom also watches her 1 day a week. It would be harder to be at work 40 hours with a toddler, but I really think it can work out for most people on part time or flexible schedules.

I wish I had this tribe when I was bringing her because it is so nice to share tips!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 06-01-2005, 04:57 PM

Hi there...seeing lots of familiar faces here, no surprise, and it's really good to see this thread! I am going to bring baby #2 to work in a few months (it's sneaking up on me!) and really can use the support. I brought dd to work regularly until she was about 8 months old. I could have tried to keep doing it, but she was so active and social that it would have been hard on both of us, so she was in a little preschool two mornings a week.

Tips I have...wow, I could write a book...

Use whatever is necessary...sling, bouncy seat, swing, any "tools" you can, to help your babe and you have a good day. This varies by the day, of course, so it's good to have a variety of stuff at your office. I like the playpen idea for an older baby, because I was always having to stop dd from rolling into the boiler room (not as bad as it sounds...I just worked in the back of a church).

Get your policy in writing. I wrote a letter to Mothering and it got published in this last issue about this...I almost had to quit because I was given an ultimatum about finding day care for my kid after they had hired me knowing I would bring her to work. This was in a church, so it can happen to anybody, unfortunately.

Have good nursing clothes or a blanket. I don't like blankets, but I used one to nurse if I had to nurse her in a meeting or something until we got better at it (Geo, this might help with the older man thing!). It made me not so self-conscious doing it.

Know when to say when. When dd was 7-8 months, we were both miserable with the arrangement, so I set up that part-time care and did the rest while she napped. I got really really good at getting TONS of stuff done in three hours! :LOL With some toddlers, it might work, for me and dd, it's pretty much impossible. But if anybody has any tips there I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Hiya mamas!

I am a dance academy owner that brings all three kiddies with me.

Glad to have a tribe. I find it really difficult IRL because I don't fit in with mamas.

I do stay at home with them during the day....I will be homeschooling.

I do the business end of the academy from home WAHM

And I work out of the home....but take my three kids.

I feel very isolated from moms IRL because they don't think I fit into there groups (mostlt SAHM and WOHM)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
It's great to hear about everyone's different situations, and all the great ideas! We're starting to settle into a bit of a routine (at least for now, it changes pretty quick). Ds wakes up around 5:30 am, and is up until we leave for work. He often falls asleep on the drive in, but wakes up when we take him out of the carseat. For the first two hours or so at work, he's usually awake, and I alternate between nursing him at my desk, letting him play on the floor and work on his crawling, the exersaucer, etc. If he falls asleep nursing, I'll put him in a little swing that he likes for sleeping, if he's more restless, I put him in the sling and take a walk around the building, go meet with co-workers, fill the water bottle, etc. Then he sleeps until lunchtime in the sling or swing.
We go outdoors for lunch, either to a play area at a park or just under a shady tree.
After lunch, he's usually up for about an hour, then takes another nap. When he wakes up, if time permits, I put him in the jogger and we go out for a jog. Then it's back to eating and playing until the end of the day.

Two other tips that have worked for me (or will, in the future )
I've just started either playing a CD or listening to an online music station while at work. I keep it pretty low, and ds enjoys it, (usually classical, middle eastern or folk music). I also seem to be a bit more focused with it on.

I also keep a change of clothes for me in the office. Right now I just have some workout clothes (there's no dress code where I work) but I think I should start bringing things that look a bit more professional. Now that ds is eating a few solids, things are getting even messier!

User Tag List