Why Do You Work? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any new reasons to add. However, I want to say that I like the idea of part-time work the best. I think that would give me the best of both worlds. I'd still have an income and be able to save for retirement while having more time for DD. I HAVE arranged my schedule so I have lots of time with DD. I work from home and that means I have more time with her in the afternoons!

I also think it's important for women to have their own money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhammond View Post
So I work because I have been uniquely gifted and have a desire to be an attorney, and feel like it would be ungrateful of me to not fulfill this call on my life. I don't mean to get all religious here, but it's just an important part of my decision. I work so my husband can stay home b/c we value having a parent at home with our kid(s).
What a beautiful post. I'm not religious and I liked it.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM

how did i never answer this post? i work for many reasons. first, we need the $. i bring in more than 50% of our income & we have lots of expenses (as well as my extensive student loans).

2nd. i'm good at what i do & take great pride in my work. i actively help people every day & that feels great.

3rd. i'd be a lousy SAHM if we did have the $ for me to stay home. there would be no choice- dh would have to be the sahd if one of us were to stay home. i'm nutty after a few days with dd!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
I work because I love what i do and I'm good at what I do. (I'm a zookeeper) I have known since I was a kid that I would always work to help animals and while I'm not a fan of zoos at all I know that I am giving the animals that are stuck there the best life possible. Ideally I hope to be working in a sanctuary someday, hopefully for elephants but we'll see how that goes.
I grew up around wildlife and would like DS to do the same. I love every second I get to spend with my family but my job is very important to me and keeps me sane, physically and mentally fit, and helps me to recharge. I have so much respect for those of you that stay or work at home, its just not for me.

Hey cool! Are you @ Roger Williams Zoo in Providence? I am a rather frequent visitor there - family pass and all that. Just last week I watched a monkey in the monkey house mischeviously pull a hair elastic off of a ponytailed zookeeper's head.

Sorry - back to your regularly scheduled thread.

(PS - I think I responded to this thread months ago when it was new. Mainly I work for financial reasons - we could not swing things on DH's salary alone. I also carry the health bennies for the family. Would love to be at home - my true calling I feel. However, that said, I am good at my job, help a lot of people and families with my work, and am good at it.)

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 AM

I'm also the lone breadwinner... I have more earning power than DH, and my job has better benefits and is much more family friendly than any job he could get. I'd rather stay at home, but I was raised to be self-sufficient, which is what happened I do enjoy my job mostly, and I've worked hard to have a career, but I'd love to stay at home and focus on mom and wife things... I know that DH would be much unhappier than I if he were working... so that's the trade-off. Luckily I don't have to work full time now (I'm working 20 hours a week), so I feel fortunate there.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 AM

I work from home...because I have to. I have a business and I do freelance work. I've been a "telecommuter" for the last 4 years or so.

It's really hard to balance work & kids at the same location, but we're doing it!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 AM

I stay at my not so interesting job because of health insurance.

I also now work so my dh can stay home with the kids. I already had a higher paying job than him (and good benefits and insurance) so it was logical for him to stop working instead of me.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 PM

I work because I love my work. I don't particularly like my current job but the work keeps me coming back. I am a social scientist who coordinates policy oriented studies to impact the well-being of disadvantaged populations in the US and around the world. I have wanted this kind of job since I was in high school. I went to grad school and rushed through it to get to work in the real world. I specifically wanted an applied position as opposed to academia. I love making the contribution to improving people's lives without exploiting other people to do it. I love working to make the world a better place for my children to live. I am underpaid and sometimes I don't even bill my time. My supervisor is arrogant and insecure. But I don't work for him or the money. I work for my own personal goal. And I'm darn good at what I do. I know I'll get promoted and make more money when my kids are older and I have more time to devote to the job. Right now, it works for me to be in my junior position and have the flexibility to be home with my DH and kids for dinner every night.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 AM

Because I have no excuse not to wake up in the morning.

I work and am finishing my degree at the same time and I love that my current job gives me the real life applications of what I am studying and that I have flex time and control over my schedule. I work heading up a well established non-for-profit that provides services that I believe in and I like putting my writing, finance and admin skills to work for the families we serve. I am lucky enough to be able to do some work from home, vary my hours and play hooky all or most of Fridays (even though it means late night telecommuting ) so I do enjoy lots of time with my son. In a few years perhaps I will want something different but for right now I 100% confident that this is this is the best possible mix for me, my spouse and my child. If we were not buying a house, we could comfortably afford to have me at home full-time but then I would be unhappy and we would still be living in this apartment. I want a garden and a sandbox, dang it.

My son is far happier in pt preschool (15-20 hours per week)and a mix of mama/daddy/grandparent time than he would be with me all day.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was originally "pre-med" in college ... until I met DH and got all prego. We have been *extremely* poor for our entire relationship. Electricity getting shut-off regularly and all that ... as soon as I found-out I was pregnant my first thought was "YAHOO!!!" and my second thought was "I'm going to nursing school." At the time, DH was an immigrant with no "right to work" legally, and I was working minimum wage. I grew-up really freakin' poor, and always vowed my kids would not have the same experience.

At first, nursing school was NOT what I wanted to do AT ALL. It felt like a sacrifice I was making for my family's sake (as in, not following my dream of becoming a Dr.), so I could be a good provider to them. Since then, I've fallen in love with nursing, I think it's what I was meant to do (and I think Dr.s are twirps j/k!). I still plan to become a Dr - in the long-term, I want to persue a doctorate in nursing. For now, I'm graduating from nursing school this May (YIPEE!!), and I'll get out there and get some great experience before continuing on in my nursing education while I work. So, it all started out for financial stability which I could solely provide to my family, but now it's an intellectual persuit which I find highly rewarding. I look forward to setting an example for my son (and future children) as a person who works hard and contributes to my community through my career. (Making a contribution to one's community is a value high on my list of Things to Teach the Kiddo.)

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

Old 02-15-2007, 12:37 PM

My short answer is because I have to (I'm a divorced mom. I am living with my parents trying to save enough to get a little place for me and DS. I pay about half my salary for health insurance for me and DS because my ex won't/can't get a job with benefits).

But having gone through my divorce, even if I do someday remarry and have the option to SAH, I don't think I will. The idea of not being able to provide for myself and DS (and any potential other DC) scares the crap out of me. I'm almost 34 years old and I'm living with my parents. I went almost 6 years living in the middle of suburbia (read: nothing in walking distance) without a car, bumming rides from my parents). I have a credit score in the 400s now (trying to rebuild). By SAH (and having an untrustworthy ex), I am in a really really sucky position that I *never* want to be in again.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM

DH and I had grand plans for our lives together and our family. We'd always planned on opening our own contracting business, and running it from home, so I could be home with our kids and do the office work.

We were so naive

The first thing that squashed that was that I really suck at working from home. I'll have invoicing to do and then realize the washer's stopped, so I go to throw the stuff in the dryer, but first I have to take the previous load out of the dryer. Then I fold it, and bring it upstairs to put it away, and wow, look at that, it's lunchtime already. Let me see if I can catch the afternoon news.....

Next thing you know, it's 5pm.

I really really suck at working from home. This was before we had kids, too. So, we ended up getting some office space a few blocks away from our apartment. Worked out great, until the company started to grow and I HAD to be there full time. And we had a baby. And she didn't WANT to be there full time with me.

We moved the office back into our house and my mom came to help out during hte day and it was working okay, except that our company, now, is too big to be run out of my attic. So, we got more office space. My mom watches our daughter, and I work in the office full time.

It wasn't the original plan, but it's what we have to do for now. When we're a little bigger, we'll be able to hire some office help, and hopefully I won't have to work full time here anymore.

But, anyway, that's why I work.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 02-17-2007, 06:37 PM

I work to pursue my life dream. I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I am. I got my Phd and assist. prof. position before I was married, so things just fell into place that way.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:46 PM

I work because our business supports the family. My DH does the financial end of the business from home. I was lucky enouh to be able to take my kids to work until they were around 18 mos., then Dad or Grandma watched them. Since fall they are both in school, I am working 30 hours a week. It has been hard but what we had to do...
Old 02-18-2007, 03:07 PM

I don't have to work.
I work because I love my career and I love my job. I'm good at what I do and it brings me great joy. I'm not just a mother- I'm a wife and a woman and so much more. I think working lets me fulfill some of my life's other roles.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM

I work cause it takes TWO income's to pay bills. If we hadn't bought a bigger house and gotten a second vehicle I might of been able to stay home.

But we wanted a bigger house to have kids and more room for us. Needed 2 vehicles so we could BOTH work.

PLUS-I enjoy getting out of the house and I only work 8 minutes from home and work in my family's company.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:13 PM

I work because I have to, but would still work (part- time) if I didn't.

DH is a student so he does not work (and really hasn't had to when it was just the two of us). Now that DS is about to arrive DH has arranged his schedule so he can be a SAHD and be a student at night. We are really blessed that he can do this.

Why would l keep working?

-I like working. It gives me an outlet for the education I received and puts me in an environments for adults.

-I think it keeps me in the swing of what it out there. News, technology, trends, etc. Not that these things are the only important things but it helps me know what is going on outside my home. I like knowing what the world around me is doing.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 PM

I love what I do for a living and think I am a better mother if I'm not with the kids 24/7.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM

-Health Benefits!!!!
-Financially we need the two incomes
-I like my job, I'm a special ed teacher in an inner city school and I feel like what I do makes a difference for many kids who have very little...
but I'm only going back part-time and will continue to do so for as long as I can

Ciria, mama to Joaquin 11/28/06 and Isela 8/07/09

User Tag List