Why Do You Work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking a lot about different reasons why I work. DH and I have discussed it and I could be a SAHM if I wanted to. But I don't really want to. Yes, I would love to be with my kids more. But, here are some specific reasons why I choose to continue in my job:

1. Financial: I don't want to be financially dependent on anyone. And I don't want to have to live paycheck to paycheck (not that we aren't kind of doing that right now - LOL). and I'd like to be able to save for our kid's college educations.

2. Insurance: Both DHs and I have insurance coverage for the whole family. That really helps becaue DS is SN and his therapy sessions run $800/month. (all paid for because we are double covered).

3. Being Around Adults Keeps Me Sane: This is just me, but I've got to have some interaction with adults during the day or I become cranky and morose.

What are other reasons you work - assuming that you don't "have to?"
#2 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not working-- but I'm a fulltime college student, and considered staying at home before this summer. But I'm going back to school, and really looking forward to it.

To me, the most important reason to go back to school is the interaction with grown folks. I love my son, but it's so isolating and frustrating when DH goes off to work, and I'm home for the next 10 hours with a nonverbal baby and no car. I feel like I'm stranded, but I try hard not to let it show.

My mom was a SAHM for 25 years... and I wish she had worked at least a little bit. She just got so burned out on kid stuff and being trapped at home that honestly, she wasn't always real pleasant to be around. People think that stay-at-home moms are all cookies and milk and heart-to- heart chats, but the emotional lives of women are a little more complicated than that!

She is and was a great mom... but... I think we all would have been happier if she had her own thing going on, too. Sometimes she took things wayyyy too personally-- like if someone forgot Mother's Day, since it was the only day of the year she got some workplace recognition, as it were, kwim?
#3 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i am one of those - because i have to.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 PM

I need the adult interaction and intellectual stimulation. I was a SAHM when my oldest was little - I've never been so bored, lonely and depressed in my life. I won't say I enjoy every minute of my job, but I'd say about 90% of the time I do.

Financially, I like having my own income and knowing that I don't have to depend on my husband. If I didn't work, he would likely have to take a second job, which would put on unfair burden on him and deprive him of time with the kids.
#5 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
tug

i ask myself this question a lot now. most of my paycheck now pays for the fabulous daycare that my kids are in. they are there about 5 hours a day while i work pt. i like the socialization that they get and the neat, neat projects that they do at school which help them learn (i often now spend time at daycare with them when they want to stay and play). for me, the retirement savings is important as is keeping my foot in the door. in five years, both of my little ones will be in kindergarten and i'll be expected to have a life outside of them. i already worry that i am too wrapped up in them. i don't want them to be the only thing in my life. i don't think it's healthy for them or me. finally, i really like the people i work with and for (i help elderly people in nursing homes with their benefits -- medicare and medicaid -- and their rights -- can they have a beer or a honey bun, can they go visiting with their friends, etc).
#6 of 109 Old 06-13-2005, 10:59 PM

bc the grant i work on pays my tuition.
and bc i honestly feel that the difference i can make in other families' lives is greater than any detriment my children experience by my not being around 20 hours out of the week.
#7 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 AM

Two reasons:
1. Because my working allows us to get by with DH working less. We both work part time, and he is around. With his (lack of) earning potential, he'd have to work crazy hours for us to get by. My father was around a lot when I was young, and I felt very lucky. I want my children to have the same experience.

2. At work, I get positive reinforcement, and get to get things done. When I was at home, I was getting depressed because the vast majority of my tasks were repetitive. Everything (cleaning, cooking) had to be done and then done again.
#8 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 AM

I work for the:

1. intellectual stimulation and adult interaction; I stayed home with dd for a year and although many aspects of it were fulfilling, I felt that my edges dulled; that's just me and is in no way an indictment of SAHMing

2. contribution my work makes to society overall; I work with juveniles charged with crimes; these kids are in desperate need of an advocate, a confidant, and someone who will be honest with them; I also feel that the work I do models "giving back" for dd which is very important to me since she and I have been so richly blessed

3. $$$; I'm a single mama and therefore need to generate an income; even before I was a mama, I enjoyed getting a paycheck and the freedom and independence it represents; again, I try to model good financial stewardship for dd so she'll get into the "save some/spend some/give some away" mindset as she grows up

I'm proud of the work I do outside the home and I'm proud that I singlehandedly support my family. The "WOHMing is evil" undercurrent I occasionally sense at MDC really bugs me, but to each her own. This is what satisfies me and works for my family.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#9 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Because I have to pay back my $50,000+ student loans.

I'd love to not have to work. So would DH. We need to win the lottery so we can both sit at home. I'm fine with no intellectual stimulation. I'm tired of work. (read: we're lazy)

This would be us -

Laura
#10 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 11:33 AM

I work simply because if I do not then I cannot pay my mortgage. And we have to live somewhere

But oh what I wouldn't give to spend more time at home with dd...

stashalou
#11 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM

I work because I have to and only because I have to. The second we can afford for me not to work, I will be a SAHM.
#12 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 11:56 AM

I will be going back to teaching in about two months. I am nervous about it, but have made my decision and will be doing it because:

--We are living on savings that is drying up quickly.

--I need to complete my professional teaching certificate within 3 years. If I didn't go back and let it lapse, it would be lots more school and money to get it back.

--It will be part-time, about 4 hours a day. I would not have gone back full-time.

--I feel that I am a good teacher and I will contribute positively to the lives of many teenagers that need adults they can trust and look up to.

--My son will be with my sister for two days a week and a great daycare close by my school three days a week.

This is not to say that I am not worried about leaving him, and that it won't probably be hard, but I am looking forward to it in many ways.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#13 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM

In the past two years, I've not worked, worked full-time and now work part-time as part of a job-sharing opportunity that my organization is nice enough to support.

Of the three, I prefer the part-time situation the best, staying home full-time the least.

I like to work because...
1) I never want to be 100% financially dependent on someone. My mom was like that and, as a result, she stayed in a very bad marriage for a very long time. My DH is a wonderful, wonderful man but I like being prepared for the what-if.

2) I like being able to contribute to my family's financial goals and responsibilities.

3) I like my job! I work for a non-profit organization that does research that helps make organ transplant policy decisions. I like knowing that my job contributes to something worthwhile and important.

4) I also like the stimulation I get at work. It's not necessarily better stimulation than I get at home with two kids under two, but it is different!

I think #4helps me be a better mom. My 22 month old is very demanding, and my 4 month old is as demanding as a normal 4 month old is. Being able to step away 20 hours a week helps me appreciate them more and helps me with my patience. If I'm having a rough day at home, I know the next day I can regroup and think of ways to make the next rough day better.
#14 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 05:06 PM

I work because my husband was a SAHD for a while. So I had to work or else we wouldn't eat
Now he has a job and I am still working.
We want to be able to save up and live comfortably. I have hopes that I will be able to go back to school one day and be home with the kids more but we need a decent nest egg to do that.

Best,
Suzanne
#15 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM

I work because it's the best "for the family" decision. My job has more stability and upward potential than dh's did, and he can do things around the house that I can't. So, when I was on maternity leave, we decided he would stay at home and renovate our house and I would work. He also does some software development contract work at night. In reality, we both work - he just starts when I get home. The bad part is we operate in "divide and conquer" mode with one of us getting to be with dd while the other works. So, the family together time isn't as much as I'd like, but dd gets a pretty good even divide between the time she spends with each of us.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I were at home. But it is the best for dd and the family, so I put my selfish wants aside. In the end, I think dd gets a better deal because my hunch is that if I were home all day and dh at work, he'd up spending only an hour or two a night playing with her and then he'd want his own time. As it is now, she gets 55+ hours a week of him, and I spend every minute she's awake that I'm home with her. And she's growing up learning how to renovate the house and hearing stock quotes on CNBC all day!

And I'm all for the win-the-lottery plan, too, so I know this is just short term . . .
#16 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

In my fantasy I've won the lottery, and this allows me to stay home until my youngest enters kindergarten. At which time I'll start my own business - something exciting and very glamourous, of course. But one that leaves me plenty of time for my kids and DH. We'll have plenty of insurance coverage and no financial worries....

The reality is that I stay at my job because at age 40, I don't want to be out there looking for another job, and because I would rather not "get by". I want to have a decent standard of living. It's a trade-off definitely, but it is the right choice for me.
#17 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 PM

I am going back to school full-time next month, after being a SAHM for the past year. My DD will be 14 months old. My reasons for returning to school and the resulting work are similar to many of the PPs':

1. I love it! I am studying to be a midwife and have wanted to do this for years. It is my calling and my passion, and I can't wait to get started. I also miss being around adults and need stimulating conversation!

2. My DH wants to work less and have more time with DD. I've been home the past year. While I'm in school, we'll be pinching pennies and sharing the time home with DD (DH will work from home a lot). When I'm actually making money (hopefully in 3 years), DH will take some real time off and enjoy DD's preschool year.

3. $$$. Of course in my ideal world I would be a midwife to low-income people and not charge anything, and take on only cases I really wanted, and take lots of vacations with my family. In DH's ideal world, he would be SAHD full-time. But none of that is gonna happen, so we do what we can with what we have, and make the best of it!

Sarah
#18 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM

My DS is 7 yo and I have worked fulltime since he was 3months old. I am pregnant now (due end of August). I am hoping to convince my boss to let me work PT. We cannot realistically have me not work at all, but I am burnt out and it kills me that my son wants to be HOME after school and cannot. I also would very much like to be able to spend more time with the baby than I was able to with my son.

I do not think I could ever truly be fulltime SAHM. I need the independence, the intellectual outlet, and the creativity...plus I have never been a great housekeeper

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can work out the part time thing.
#19 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 07:26 PM

I work because we cannot make it on dh's salary alone.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#20 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 PM

I work because I need to (and not in any particular order)
1. DH's salary alone is not enough.
2. I do not want to be financially dependent on anyone other then myself.
3. Retirement savings.
4. College savings.
5. Health Insurance (my coverage is better then DH's)
6. I like it (although I do wish some days that I worked fewer hours) and if I did not need to for bill paying I still would work.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#21 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 10:38 PM

1. To provide health insurance to my family, dh is self-employed

2. To afford housing in a very expensive part of the country (Boston)

4. So my husband can be a part of our son's life as well. Many SAHM's that I know are able to do so because husband has job where he has to work mega-hours. Although we both work full-time we all have dinner together and have meaningful family time every night.

I don't mind answering this question on this forum but I generally don't like when people ask me that because men who work are not asked that question. It really isn't anyone's business and people want to make judgements (exp. we're not "sacrificing enough", I'm "career oriented" etc.)
#22 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 PM

oh, right. i forgot the health insurance part. i have excellent health insurance through work, while the insurance offered at dh's work is not very good and very expensive.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#23 of 109 Old 06-14-2005, 11:37 PM

I work and will continue to work once the baby comes because:

1. Somebody has to. DH and I are not independantly wealthy, and DH is still in school. He supported me and sacrificed his education through my undergrad and first year of law school, and now it's my turn. Plus, my skills command a higher wage than his do without a degree, so I can work less hours and still make our bills and have more time for the family that he would be able to.

2. I've spent 7 years of my life and uncounted thousands of dollars developing my skills and my career, I love what I do and I think it's important and valuable to society as a whole and to me as a person.

3. I do not have the skills or temperment to stay at home all day. I totally respect women who do, but I don't. I'm dreadful with housework, and I don't do well without externally imposed structure. I'd be horrible at trying to impose a schedule on a child and play with them and keep them entertained while still managing a house. DH is by far the more traditionally feminine and nurturing person in our relationship -- It's just totally not a skill set I have.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#24 of 109 Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEarthMom

I don't mind answering this question on this forum but I generally don't like when people ask me that because men who work are not asked that question. It really isn't anyone's business and people want to make judgements (exp. we're not "sacrificing enough", I'm "career oriented" etc.)
Great point, and not one I'd really thought about before. My husband looks forward to retirement, and says he want to be the one to stay home with our kid(s).

But if he wants to stay home, I need to finish my education so I can hopefully find a decent job!
#25 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 AM

I am the primary breadwinner, and my job provides health insurance for the family.

But even if that were not the case, I would still work at this job. It is truly my dream job--I use my skills for a cause I believe in and get paid for it!--and I don't think a similarly-ideal employment opportunity will *ever* come my way again. In addition, my work let me reduce my position to part time once my son was born. It would be more difficult if I were away from home FT, I think--although temperamentally, I am simply not cut out for being home FT. Wouldn't be a very good parent if I didn't get time away most every day. (My dh feels the same way, and was fortunate enough to get PT work in his field, as well.)
#26 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 11:20 AM

These are the reasons I am currently in school full time, will graduate next spring and start working part time:

1) We need the income I currently generate from my loans (I'll be getting about $18 000 CDN this year alone).

2) Dh is not comfortable with the idea of my staying home, and I respect his position - we're in an equal partnership, and we're doing what we agree on.

3) The adult interaction; I have a personality where I get *very* lazy if I don't have a set schedule and things that must be done during the day.

4) Belleweather said

Quote:
I do not have the skills or temperment to stay at home all day. I totally respect women who do, but I don't. I'm dreadful with housework, and I don't do well without externally imposed structure.
This sums *me* right up.

5) I'm entering a field that I feel very passionate about - nursing. The work I'm doing is very fulfilling to me, and I want Zoe to know her mother is happy.

Dh and I are going to be TTC early next spring. Here in Canada, I will receive a year of maternity benefits enabling me to stay home for about 50 weeks. After that I will once again be returning to work part time.

I'm usually a little sensitive regarding this question as well, but it's interesting, empowering and just plain uplifting to read everyone's responses.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#27 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 11:55 AM

1. I need the adult interaction. Like others, I don't have the temperment to stay at home. I think a lot of it stems from my mother being a very resentful SAHM. I'm a little afraid I'd be like that.

2. We need the money but really so DH can be an equal parenting partner. Either of us could probably get better paying jobs so one could stay home but neither wants to do the self-sacrifice to our family that that would involve.

3. I like my job. And I like the example I'm setting for dd.
#28 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 11:58 AM

b/c i have to. I will stop working for a year (at least( when New baby arrives.

after new baby gets a bit older I will propbably get a PT job to get me some interaction and to help out financially a little bit at least.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#29 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I wanted to add a real life situation with regards to the underlying evil comments to WOHM who chooses to WOH and doesnt have to.

my mom gave up her teaching career and decided she would be there for her children - totally going against what her heart wanted. both my brother and i so wished she had done otherwise. i remember when we started K, we asked if she was going to go too to be happier.

so i think moms who follow their hearts make better parents than those who dont. whether u choose to work, or stay in an unhappy marriage, or resentfully bfeed i am sure children pick that up no matter how hard u try to hide it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#30 of 109 Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 PM

Well, I'm kinda in a "have to" situation but I would love to go part time. Part time would give me the adult interaction that I need (I too get really cranky with just children around), make me feel professionally fulfilled as well as being financially independant. I, like the OP, don't want to be dependant financially on anyone. I've worked since I was 16 and just can't imagine a day I don't work at least part time. I also would love to afford my mortgage payments! :LOL
We simply cannot affort to live in the area we live in with one full time and one part time salary. I actually make more than my dh so me working part time doesn't make sense. There is no option in my dh mind of moving somewhere less expensive basically because he would have a VERY hard time finding a job in his field, and he's older than I am, so it's not like he's got a lot of time to build that retirement fund! Also, all his family is here and I really want our kids to be around family and have that connection and relationship. I grew up in Canada and my parents' families were all in Italy. We only talked to them on the phone at holidays and special days and saw them incredibly rarely. I don't feel like I have a great connection or relationship with any of them and I really would like that for my kids.

I also want to contribute some to my kids' college fund. We probably won't be able to foot the entire bill, but we are determined to help them out as much as we possibly can.

Anyway...that's why I work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page