Student Mama Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Its kinda annoying to me being in class with the younger ones because they tend to be goofing off and causing distractions and really don't give a hoot about being there. I'm beginning to think they shouldn't allow people to even go to college until there like 25 unless they were stright A students in high school or something because they seriously need to grow up! And what the heck is up with dressing like your at a freak show? Its distracting to other students : (its the combo of dress and behavior that gets to me) ok, i'm off to find a job, wish me luck!

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
For those of you who are undergrads, is it ever weird for you being around traditional undergrad students? I'm not sure how to explain...
Yes, it is definitely weird. I just feel so different from them, and it feels like they can tell I am different just by looking at me. Even though I don't dress all that different and am not that old.

It does annoy me sometimes though when they talk about how much work they have and how they don't have time to study. I just want to be like "um, yeah, try having an entire household to run and clean, and a 2 year old to take care of, and then come back and complain to me about study time."
Old 08-29-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick
It does annoy me sometimes though when they talk about how much work they have and how they don't have time to study. I just want to be like "um, yeah, try having an entire household to run and clean, and a 2 year old to take care of, and then come back and complain to me about study time."
LOL doesn't get any better at the graduate level. I've gotten to the point that I ignore those comments - better than verbally castigating them for their ...ignorance... for lack of a better term... I'd really like to drop one of them into my life for just 24 hours - and sit back to watch them flounder. School, work and family are a carefully scheduled balancing act...that requires time and energy to maintain.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
School, work and family are a carefully scheduled balancing act...that requires time and energy to maintain.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello everyone... I haven't been around in a while, I've been completely busy. Hope everyone is doing amazing student mama stuff and enjoying it.

I am posting to share that today was the first day of my Introduction to Midwifery Intensive and it was sooo amazing. I was enraptured all day, I cried ecstatically at least 3 times. Even now I am totally blissed out....

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Blissful, I am happy for you!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
For those of you who are undergrads, is it ever weird for you being around traditional undergrad students? I'm not sure how to explain...
I just feel so old around them sometimes. Like, oh my god, like, I can't even begin to, like, explain it. I sat behind 2 girls that talked just like that one term.

I love it when one tries to give me advice. We were trying to set up a time to meet. I invited them all over to my house because that would be easiest on me. One was demanding that we meet at a coffee shop and suggested I learn to manage my time. I manage my time perfectly fine. I do a math problem get my kids a drink. Do another math problem and wipe a butt. Work another problem and stop a fight. I think I'm doing pretty good. :LOL
Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 AM

Satori and Merrick, that pretty much sums it up for me. Except for the part about being 25 before starting school...I just turned 26 and I'm almost done, and am thankful! LOL. Plus, I have encountered some mature younger students, but I definitely know what you mean.

Sappy Lady:
Quote:
and suggested I learn to manage my time.
I'm not usually like this but I think I would have slapped her.

Blissful_Maia:
Quote:
I was enraptured all day, I cried ecstatically at least 3 times. Even now I am totally blissed out....
Wow! Now *that* is what it should be like! I'm happy for you that you like it so much.

Quote:
doesn't get any better at the graduate level.
Dmitrizmom, that's what dh tells me too. :LOL

Well, 3 days to go before I start. I now have all my books and some notebooks and pens. Now all I need is my planner.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappylady
I just feel so old around them sometimes. Like, oh my god, like, I can't even begin to, like, explain it. I sat behind 2 girls that talked just like that one term.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My big fear about going back is that everyone's going to point and stare at the old lady who hasn't lost her 'mommy belly' yet! :LOL

As for time management, I'm sure she knows it all - it's hard to juggle binge drinking and 8am classes!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:22 AM

How was everyone's first day back to school?

Mine was good. Alas finally no more pregnant brain. I feel like I am focused again!!!! The last time I saw my classmates I was 9 months preggo. They were suprised to see my belly is gone - well, I did have a baby. My body wouldn't allow me to carry him forever. :LOL
Anyway, I actually felt back on track and in focus mode. This is something I missed out on the last year. I was more focused on nesting
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Some other woman was all that I was taking five classes and said she was only taking two classes because she was a mother with two children.

I kept my mouth shut.

db
Old 08-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

Anyway, there is only one Algebra problem I can't get (order of operations I think is my problem) I'll ask my daughter and if she can't get it I'll ask the prof.

My big problem is Chem, the prof has the hw assignments on something called egrade. He provided a link to his blackboard (if that makes any sense) but the ding dang link doesn't work.

I must memorize 36 elements but I already know over half of them.

Anyway, I'm getting irritated with my computer because another assignment is to set up my college email accoung and it's antiquated and I can't get the damn thing to work.

oy-vey.

Debra Baker
Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Would you use an eariler edition of a textbook if it meant serious savings? The instructor wants us to get the 9th edition which came out in 2004 and costs $60+. I can get the 8th ed which came out in 2001 for like $10. There's like 20 page difference between the two. We have no actual assignments from the book beyond reading it and writing a chapter summary each week. wwyd? (beyond ask the instructor)

Seriously?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM

Sartori - I would probably buy the older one. As long as the chapters are basically the same, then it shouldn't matter.

db - Good luck with your algebra. If you need help with that problem, lmk.

I'm thinking that history as an online class isn't such a good idea. We're covering a chapter roughly every 4-5 days, and there's no way around the reading. At least in person, I could just skim the chapter and take notes in class.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM

You can tell that we're all busy with school when the thread gets burried :LOL

I'm about to head off for my first day. Don't know why, but I got an urge to post here first (also have some time to kill) before I go. Wish me luck!

Hope you all have a great day in class
Old 09-01-2005, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TEST i just wrote this whole long post and it didn't go! stupid college computers....it was just venting on the frustrations of working with traditional students and life as an overtired attached student mama.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The short version is I work with a chem 'group' who wants to work as partners (the traditionals) and leave me out of the entire thing, 3-4 problems behind, and then I wonder why I'm not 'getting it' Even when it turned out when we discussed it as a class I WAS RIGHT about something...they wouldn't listen to me about it. My grade rides on these people, it's a group grade. I did talk to the instructor, I KNOW the whole point is to try to work with different people but when you (finally) speak up (it did take me awhile) and nobody listens, then it gets frustrating.

And I'm overtired cause DS has a cold and was up last night. I know some friends would tell me it is high time to put him in a crib and ignore and I wouldn't be so tired....but I'm PROUD to NOT be that kind of mama, I'd rather sleep 2 hours a day the rest of this year but have a baby who KNOWS he can count on me than have my child think ANYTHING in the world is more important to me than doing my job as his mama.

So today is not a good day. I feel better having written the other post and then I had a good laugh when my friend called not understanding her dd's math homework (3rd grade.) AND THEN MY STUPID POST DIDN"T POST but oh well here's the short of it now you don't have to be bored. LOL

I GET INTERNET AT HOME TUESDAY!! I CAN"T WAIT!!

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 PM

zakers_mama I can relate.

Well, I did ok on the midterms. Thanks for the positive vibes.
Had another test this week, think I did ok, scores will be posted tomorrow.

Have two papers to write - must get one done to hand in in the morning. The other is due Monday before noon along with a power point presentation (this is a group project). Presentation will be given on 9/7 in class. :Puke Have a test in Radiology on Tuesday, and a couple practicals during the week.... Board review starts next Friday night (and I won't see my family during waking hours until 9/18). I want this month to be done.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi all nice to catch up with you. the first week went well, although i have alot of homework and may have to drop my morning classes. my mom babysits for 45 minutes to an hour 3 days a week and has just yesterday informed me that she will not be doing it anymore. my classes start at nine and ian's at 9:30. with out hermionies time shift thingy i dont see a way to make it work. on top of that i am pretty sure she kicked us out too. anybody have any suggestions? i could really use them right now.
thanks
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Maya, that's horrible. For housing, do you have family student housing at your university? I'm sure if you do you've already considered it, but in case not, it's typically very affordable and provides a great environment to live in...we live in ours and love it.

I don't know how to help you, but if I think of something I'll post again. I'm really sorry you're dealing with all that, just what you need at the beginning of a new semester...that completely sucks.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At first I was afraid I'd bitten off more than I could chew w/ 16 hours, but this semester is shaping up to actually be less homework intensive (especially reading!) than last. And I only have one paper all semester!

My only challenge will be narrowing down and choosing a topic for that paper. It's for my Peoples and Cultures of Africa class, and basically as long as it has something to do with Africa, it's fair game for the term paper. Now to narrow it down...I've got it down to either traditional (non Xian/Muslim) religion, plural marriage, or something about children. I wonder if a 10 page paper on Babywearing in Africa would fly?

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 09-05-2005, 01:28 PM

I've been MIA for a while.. so much going on right now..
I"m starting my Officail first day of student teaching.. I am so nervous. I am more nervous of my co-op teacher accepting me than anything else. I guess that is my anxiety..
Julia loves daycare, she went for a half the last week and she loved it.. Maybe b/c I wasnt gone for whole day and she didnt even realize i was gone.( ok so she was there for like 2 hours) She didnt get hungry so it wasnt to bad.
I did leave her on thursday and she was fine.. She didnt really cry, but she was with my sister. She came down with a small case of diareah last week.. So we are strictly breastfeeding.. No more solids till it's perfect again...
I dont know.. just wish me luck in the next few weeks, while i adjust!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:24 PM

Ravin, 16 hours and only 1 paper?! I'm insanely jealous.

Mommy2julia, good luck with your student teaching and everything!

I got my wisdom teeth taken out last weekend and I thought I would be well by today...boy was I wrong...and I had to miss class. It's only my second day of classses! I emailed my profs and let them know, but I feel so bad and weird about missing. I will go on Thursday if it kills me...I think. lol. I am still SO sore...

One of my classes is "pending" and it was supposed to start tonight. I kind of hope it cancels because I got into another class that I'd rather take.

So far (after my 1 day of classes!) things are going really well. I have at least 6 papers this semester and 2 group projects/reports, and 5 exams. Not horrible...lots of reading too. I'm so happy to be back into this though. I decided to go back to school on a whim and next thing I knew I was enrolled full time...I really think I'm going to love this though.

If only my mouth would stop hurting so much...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM

Hello again everyone.

Nice to hear from all the student mamas with student dps/dhs. My dp is doing a degree in Neuropsychology . I start my actual regular classes tomorrow, after last week which was the intensive. We did some workshops on labour support, effective communication, etc. Mostly got connected with all the women (there's about 12).

Can't identify with everyone's feelings about age, my program ranges this year from 18 to 44! Although I think age might just be a number, I've met some 30 year olds less mature than some 18 year olds! :LOL

Ayla started at a really amazing Montessori preschool this Tuesday, every morning from 830 until 1230 and she seems to like it just fine as of yet. She's never been separated from me until now, and appears to be enjoying herself and adjusting okay. Is everyone else happy with their child-care arrangements?

Allright, well better go clean so I can rest tonight!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Just realized that was my 100th post! Woo-hoo!

Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 AM

The cost of text books is down right criminal.

1 of my books is over $100. I would buy it used except it's new this year. I think something needs to be done. It is wrong for the publishers and the authors to push to have a new version of their books put out every other year. Have you noticed that they update books but don't really change anything other than the pages or the chapters around? Same exact stuff only $90.00 more because you have to buy the new version instead of the old.

It makes me so mad. I think I will contact the legislator in my state that is trying to lower the cost of text books.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM

student teaching has begun.. It's going ok.. I am now just starting to plan out my lessons.. I think it'll be ok.. I just have to focus and get to them..

Oh a good note.. Julia is loving daycare and doesnt even know that I'm gone when I drop her off. It is bitter sweet..and I'm glad that it is working out so well for us. I'm glad they love her over there..

I have a ton of free time tho, to do work and plan lessons. I teach two blocks from 7:45 till 10:30.. from ten thirty till twelve is my lunch and then the 4th block is his AP class which I do not get to touch at all..SO i'm done at 10:30..sounds too good to be true but it is.. So i plan, run errands and clean up and pick Julia up anywhere between 1 and 3.

OK well if there any history teachers out there, and would love to share lessons.. LET me knoe!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The cost of text books is down right criminal
i agree.

blissfulmaia, my son has been going to a montessori school for a while and we really like it there (thankfully so does he!). I'm glad you found a place you like.

And glad to hear Julia loves her daycare too...It makes things so much easier when dropoff is easy.

So, I've been in school for a week now. I read a TON, even ph.d hubby says it's "abusive" :LOL and thinks I should complain. Don't really feel comfortable doing that! And my house is a complete mess.

To any of you who have been away from school for awhile and then went back...do you find that you don't process information as quickly as you used to? Or retain reading as well? I am going through this, I don't know what my problem is! Dh said he did that too when he went back to grad school, so that makes me feel better.

Have I mentioned that my house is a mess???
Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

Just checking in here. I wasn't getting email notices : but I've been too darn busy anyway.

I'm swamped with a lot of hard work. I have a reading and writing intensive English class (Getting good grades on my papers) A BIO class (lectures great all about Evolution so far) Lab rocks. Algebra-trig. I'm scared crapless but I tood a quiz today and I got an A+ whew!!! Her style is to give work and teach it the next day, oy-vey.

Chem, oy, chem is hard and my prof is so brilliant he doesn't realize chem does not come naturally to everyone. Chem lab is cool but hard (Got a 95 in my first lab, yeah, but scewed up some of my data on the second one.

Someone help me plot XY graphs on excel, oy-oy-oy.

Public Speaking is fine a lot of work but talking is like breathing for me. I gave an intor speech and just got a demonstration assignment. I think I'm going to do self defense.

Off to karate class.

Hope everyone else is doing well

Debra Baker
Old 09-10-2005, 01:26 AM

sounds like things are going well for everyone.

I'm in board review this weekend - dh is out of town so my mom & dad are watching the kids. Board review is all weekend, then Tues-Thurs next week.

have a test on Monday in NMS. Boards are Friday and Saturday of next week...

wish me luck... I may not be posting, but I am lurking.

User Tag List