Student Mama Tribe - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 523 Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So many pre-med/nursing/etc students here...any social science people?

Things are starting to pick up here but I am so on top of everything. Ask me in a month if I still feel that way!

Just wanted to check in and say hi...
#422 of 523 Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM

What's that sound? Crickets chirping?

Just bumping, couldn't bear to see us at the bottom of the screen

I have a test tomorrow. Yay!

Life has been full with school, don't get me wrong, but it's about to get really crazy...
#423 of 523 Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 AM

Physiotherapy II class is done... learned alot and had some fun I have today and tomorrow off - time to get some house work done.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#424 of 523 Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
aromatherapy classes 1,2, and 3 are done.
congratulate me... now i only have math, pychology, sociology which i am dropping, womens studies family violence, advanced doula training and herbs for the childbearing year...
any one else having fu? or are we all alike overwhelmed and underslept?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#425 of 523 Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

I just dropped Chem today. I had a horrid test, the teacher is insane, he isn't curving the class (class average is in the 60's and other instructors are either curving or dropping the worst exam.) This guy is just not teaching the class. I'm grieved by it but I feel so liberated at the same time like a weight has been lifted.

Soooo, I have a big biology test on Monday. I have a research paper to write as well as a presentation.

A lot of work but without Chem I feel less overwhelmed. I'll be able to study and do work that hour I have that used to be Chem and I'm seriously thinking about CLEPing Chem because I know much of the material.

I'm keeping the lab.

DB
#426 of 523 Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 AM

Greetings Mama,
I am joining the group! I just started my Masters in Organizational Systems Renewal (the planning and facilitating of major organizational change) at Seattle U. I am also working 30 hours/week.

I was just wondering how you're all doing it. I feel like I am drowning. The house is a pit, I can't seem to exercise, I'm eating terribly, I feel completely stressed out. I don't graduate until June 2007. I have to find a way to get through this. I was just wondering how you guys are doing it.

HELP!
Jenn

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#427 of 523 Old 10-28-2005, 01:34 PM

JuniperMama!

I'm finally on my whole 5 day break... Had a Halloween party at the daycare this morning... just now getting home.

I got my Part I board results back this morning. I passed everything with good scores. : :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#428 of 523 Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperMama
Greetings Mama,
I was just wondering how you're all doing it. I feel like I am drowning. The house is a pit, I can't seem to exercise, I'm eating terribly, I feel completely stressed out. I don't graduate until June 2007. I have to find a way to get through this. I was just wondering how you guys are doing it.

HELP!
Jenn
You mean that's not all completely normal? I can't imagine working 30 hours a week on top of everything...school and the kids (and the hubby!) are keeping me plenty busy. I miss exercising too (did I just say that?), I need to find a way to fit it in. I cleaned my house for 4 hours this morning and it barely looks decent because it was so bad before I had a lot to catch up on. If you have any extra money, can you hire someone to help you out around the house a couple of times a month? We're not doing it but it is so tempting...

Probably doesn't make you feel better...good luck though
#429 of 523 Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
I got my Part I board results back this morning. I passed everything with good scores. : :
Congrats!!! :
#430 of 523 Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 AM

HI all. I belong here
I am taking three online courses. I have three boys that I homeschool, and am a bit worried about what will happen when I run out of online options.
I was going to become a librarian, but the pay scale isnt enough for me to justify the $29,000 cost of grad school. I wont be using my degree until my youngest is up and out, so that is almost 15 years. I have decided to go for Organizational Development. I am working out what my bachelors will be, but then I am going for that as a masters, and a phd. By the time my youngest is graduated, I will have my phd and will be able to be a corporate trainer and possibly personal coach.
I have three weeks left of quarter #1. I have a 4.0 so far
#431 of 523 Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus
HI all. I belong here
I am taking three online courses. I have three boys that I homeschool, and am a bit worried about what will happen when I run out of online options.
I was going to become a librarian, but the pay scale isnt enough for me to justify the $29,000 cost of grad school. I wont be using my degree until my youngest is up and out, so that is almost 15 years. I have decided to go for Organizational Development. I am working out what my bachelors will be, but then I am going for that as a masters, and a phd. By the time my youngest is graduated, I will have my phd and will be able to be a corporate trainer and possibly personal coach.
I have three weeks left of quarter #1. I have a 4.0 so far

Keep in mind though because they don't often tell you this because they want your money. You can have that PhD but if you don't have the experience to go with it, its worthless. You'll need to be working along the way in the field. I have no idea if your a WOHM or SAHM but unless you have the experience to go along with the PhD I would wait a few years to get started on it till you can enter the workforce and start getting experience or else your going to have these huge student loans and still be lucky to be paid what the guy with the BA/MA is getting paid. I know were being actively discouraged from spending all that time in school without getting the experience because now they have all these PhD grads who can't find jobs that will pay them decent because of the lack of practical experience.

oh and rememeber what PhD stands for: Permanent Head Damage <-- came from a friend in Tokyo who was getting his PhD in Physics

Seriously?
#432 of 523 Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks! I am a sahm. I am planning tojoin toastmasters, and the storytelling guild at this point in my early college career. These will give me speaking experiences, resume building, and contacts. After I complete my masters, I plan to get into personal coaching, on a free lance, wahm basis, so that I will have some work experience.
Also, since I don't *have* to make money, I have a good cushion so that if I can't make a ton right away, it is okay.
I am going to be ver careful about the student loan buildup, though. So far, we are totally poor, and I have no student loan debt for my first year. I got some good sized grants, and my cc does not do loans. Which is good and bad.
#433 of 523 Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Always check your homework 3 times and NOT when your tired!

I was about to turn in a paper titled "Some reasons why sexual medication is difficult"

Thats supposed to read: "Some reasons why sexual communication is difficult"

I need some sleep! I should be done by this time tomorrow at this rate.

Seriously?
#434 of 523 Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 AM

[QUOTE=boysrus]HI all. I belong here
I am taking three online courses. I have three boys that I homeschool/QUOTE]

I am also a full time student and have been homeschooling my girls for the past 3 years. I have a good support system which is the only way I can do it. Can other family members maybe help you out when you need to be out of the house more with school or working?

I can't even talk about student loans, mine will no doubt be huge by the time I'm done....lol We are below the poverty line so we simply couldn't live without them, so I am thankful for them.

Good luck!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#435 of 523 Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 AM

i have no family members here.
We are moving back up to the town we had lived in for two years. We had started to build a support system there, so I should be able to get more help at that point.
What are you studying, and how old are your girls? I feel so bad because right now, my boys do so many computer games! But, that will change when we move. Part of it is just geographic isolation right now, and when we move, they will again be involved in the Y and our church and homeschool group
#436 of 523 Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
Always check your homework 3 times and NOT when your tired!

I was about to turn in a paper titled "Some reasons why sexual medication is difficult"

Thats supposed to read: "Some reasons why sexual communication is difficult"

I need some sleep! I should be done by this time tomorrow at this rate.

off topic:
Everyone knows what bs stands for.
MS is more of the same
PhD is piled higher and deeper.

From a friend with a PhD in biology who learned it from his professors.
#437 of 523 Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus
i have no family members here.
We are moving back up to the town we had lived in for two years. We had started to build a support system there, so I should be able to get more help at that point.
What are you studying, and how old are your girls? I feel so bad because right now, my boys do so many computer games! But, that will change when we move. Part of it is just geographic isolation right now, and when we move, they will again be involved in the Y and our church and homeschool group
I was a Bio/Chem major and just switched to Nursing this semester (I Just think it will fit better with out lifestyle and homeschooling....I can work part time, evening, weekends, whatever I want and make good money). My girls are almost 8 and almost 4. I was homeschooled myself so I would have it no other way because I enjoyed it so much (I was unschooled so much structured learning doesn't do it for me at their ages; I was unschooled).

It is hard to fit it all in though I know, some days we do nothing homeschool related because I simply don't have time to do one on one things....other days we do a lot so I think it balances out and I dont worry about it. My girls are both learning and that is all that matters (well and they have a lot of fun doing it).

If your worried about them playing too many computer games (I personally wouldn't but that is just *me*, we are very very laid back here.....some days we watch way to much tv, some day we listen to music and read books and play all day) maybe find some board games, puzzles, etc at the thrift store to keep them busy. I went the other day and got a ton of games (memory, connect 4, etc) and lot s of puzzles, crafts, books, etc for them to do independently and only spend like $10!

It's nice to meet another mom who is homeschooling and going to school herself full time so emal or PM me anytime!!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#438 of 523 Old 11-06-2005, 01:07 PM

I thought PhD meant: Parents had Dough.

Anyway, I finished the first part of 3rd semester of nursing school. I feel like my brain is pickled. We now have shifted to the psych portion of this semester. Much easier...and much more interesting. I never thought I'd enjoy psych nursing as much as I am.

I am ready for a break. This has been a tough semester. After this, 10 more weeks of lecure then on to preceptorship...which is 5 weeks (actually 11 12 hour shifts with an RN). Then I'm done.

I can't believe I'm almost done!!!!
#439 of 523 Old 11-06-2005, 01:26 PM

i homeschool too. it is good to other mama can single mom, homeschool and go to school herself.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#440 of 523 Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Mamas...what a day! It's only 7:45 and I feel like I could go to bed. My husband had to go out of town today and I knew how much I relied on him...but damn! I missed him today! Today involved 3 classes, then meeting the baby-sitter for my toddler on campus, then walking about 1-2 miles while holding my exhausted toddler while hiking to our car, then going to the store with exhausted toddler, then picking up ds, then grabbing some fast food, and then a meeting with a group for a class presentation with both of my children present because I couldn't find childcare and you can imagine how much work I actually got done. I have a ton of respect for any single mamas here who are in school (of course, i have lots of respect for any mama here!).

I don't know...usually things are great with school. Today was just different. I think of everything I have to do in the next month and I can't see how it's all going to get done. I know it will, of course, but man...I've got 6 papers, 2 presentations, and 2 exams before Dec. 6. I know it's nothing that the rest of you aren't going through, but I just feel the need to talk to others who are "there". Thanks for letting me whine
#441 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 AM

s

#442 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Banned

School is really challenging right now.

On a side note I finally went into ratemyprofessor.com and it is so completely accurate.

I dropped Chem and the Chem prof had the lowest rating.

My Bio profs are highly rated but the commentary is "this classis really difficult" Yes, yes it is.

Algebra teacher mixed reviews but I love her and my Public Speaking Prof. has a low rating because the's a sadistic passive-agressive who doesn't grade in any sort of systamatic manner.

My English prof has high ratings (he's great) so ratemyprofessor.com is a great resource I will not schedule a class with a prof. who has a bad rating over there.

Taking on a full load is more than a fulltime job. I don't know how my classmates can goof off and drink like fish and maintain any sort of standard.

Debra Baker
#443 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Debra,

I love that site, its actually how I pick my professors. If they have a low rating I skip the class. Taking it would be setting myself up for failure. Last semester I took 1 professor dispite his ratings and regretted it. I now have a big fat "F" on my transcripts but yet when I retook it with another professor during the summer my papers all got A+ and over all I ended up with a B (forgetting to post on the online BB was my down fall). I swear, thats the one teacher I really wish harm on for giving me that F when I did everything possible to get an A. I don't think ANYONE passed the class that semester. Its no wonder he lived 2 hours from the college, probably worried someone would fire bomb his house or something. Even the DEAN and another teacher called him an a/h.

As for the others, its called there young kids and can take the punishment Mommy and Daddy are paying for college so its all fun and games and who cares if they get C's and D's.

Seriously?
#444 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 02:23 PM

I've heard of that site, but have never checked it out...thanks for the reminder.

ps, thanks for the hugs maya
#445 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 09:02 PM

None of my profs are even on that site.

I've found too that I like all the teachers the other students hate. I guess I just like to be contrary.

I'm having a rough time also. I'm trying to decide if I want to switch majors.
#446 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 09:22 PM

No one from my department was on there. Cool site though.
#447 of 523 Old 11-09-2005, 11:55 PM

agreed- cool site - didn't even know that there was such a site.

#448 of 523 Old 11-10-2005, 12:02 AM

Cool site!

I added a couple.

and I added a couple.

Nursing school is kickin my ass. Miss the good old days when college was easy.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#449 of 523 Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 AM

i talked to the fancy school admin. todays.
they accepted me! i am in the top 5 on the waiting list. the list is 300 women long and 20-30 drop out when they get called. i start sept. of 2006. can i cry now? one of the best womens colleges in the country....

how am i gonna pay for it?
thinking positive.

#450 of 523 Old 11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Banned

One of the best womens colleges....are you moving to the Philly area?

Crossing my fingers.

Debra Baker

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page