Student Mama Tribe - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 523 Old 11-18-2005, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 523 Old 11-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hiya nicole!
well i am overwhelmed. completely but i see the light. ratemyprofessor is great my current school is on there buti dont agree with a couple of the professors ratings. felice is a flake and pruitt is fabulous but disorganized. (and if your not a liberal, she would offend you)
not that you all take these classes but its intreresting to me...

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#483 of 523 Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 PM

so that exam i was freakin about last week -

i got an A!!!!

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#484 of 523 Old 11-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Congrats on the A!!! : :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#485 of 523 Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 PM

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#486 of 523 Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

A, gooooood.

Enjoy your holiday, everyone.

DB
#487 of 523 Old 11-24-2005, 07:56 PM

I am a student working for a 4 year degree in psychology. I tried to be a full time stay at home mom and was going crazy. I started when my dd was 8 months old i am now in the middle of my 2nd year. I love school!
#488 of 523 Old 11-25-2005, 02:26 AM

Hi all!

I'm jumping in on this thread as I've been a sahm mom taking university courses via distance ed up until last week. Now I'm working full time and trying to finish three courses by the end of December! Agh! I feel like I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew, especially since I am currently suffering from a severe sinus infection and had to take two days off work already (just back to work for a week, then sick). I have 6 papers due by Dec. 31. Yikes!

Anyhoo, it's nice to commiserate with other student mammas.
#489 of 523 Old 11-27-2005, 09:20 PM

5-7 pager due tomorrow

8-10pager due friday

five math assignments to catch up on in two days

two sociology modules asap

c'mon DS go to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

#490 of 523 Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
~pi

Hi all,

I couldn't figure out why there wasn't a student tribe on FYT, and I finally clued in to how to use the search function.

I'm a second year PhD student in engineering and medical research. My background is in math. I am pg with my first, due next summer. I'm a little shocked at how much of a toll the pregnancy has taken on my work. I was planning to churn out two papers this month and so far have spent most of my time sleeping and feeling queasy instead. I need to either start feeling better or start sucking it up better so I can get some more experimental work done before my mat leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
On a side note I finally went into ratemyprofessor.com and it is so completely accurate.
I am on that site! (I teach undergraduate math.) I wasn't sure whether to feel flattered or dismayed that apparently my students think I'm hot.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#491 of 523 Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 PM

last week of the quarter here! yeehaw
I have 100% in all classes, except one. I am 2 points short, but he offered extra credit which i should get.
i love online classes!
#492 of 523 Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
On a side note I finally went into ratemyprofessor.com and it is so completely accurate.
Thank you for this! I have a BA but I still need more sciences and Human Growth and Development. After I have the pre-reqs under my belt, I'll sit for the NLN Nursing School Entrance Exam (required for the nursing schools in my state). I just completed an LNA course at the end of October and received my Licensed Nurse Assistant licence. Taking the 9 week (4 days a week, 165+ hours through the Red Cross) course and doing clinical (the best part!) re-newed and re-affirmed my love for the nursing field. I plan on going into Pediatrics and specializing in special needs children.

Anyway, I'm planning on signing up for a night class of A&P I at the local college, and there are two sections of it available with two different professors. One is rated horribly by 7 out of 7 reviews and the other is rated as being tough but very helpful and fair by 4 out of 5. I know which to avoid now, so thank you so very much!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#493 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I am on that site! (I teach undergraduate math.) I wasn't sure whether to feel flattered or dismayed that apparently my students think I'm hot.

How's everyone doing on finals (those who have them now or soon, anyway)?

I just turned in 2 final papers yesterday, and I gave a presentation yesterday too. I think I did a good job. Next week I have a couple of things due, plus a test. And then another final the week after. Will it ever end???
#494 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 PM

I had a term paper due last Wednesday, and my very last ever Spanish oral exam yesterday.

Next thing I have is my Linguistics final, which is due Tuesday and will be sent out via Email Sunday night. Not too worried, I made A's on the previous exams, 100's on several of the quizzes, and it's open book.

Then I have pt. 1 of my Spanish final on Tuesday, a final on Thursday, an algebra final which I must show up in-person for at 0740 on SATURDAY morning the 10th (for an online class), part 2 of my Spanish final on Monday evening after that (that's 2 finals during times I don't have childcare. Luckily they don't conflict w/ DH's work schedule!), a final on that Tuesday, and then I'm done.

And once I'm done with finals, I'm commited to a bunch of sewing projects and to POTTY TRAINING DD.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#495 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM

I AM DONE!!! with the quarter.
#496 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Checking in. Getting ready for finals in a week..sooo tired and slow..
#497 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 PM

ok, brag alert!
My psychology teacher said I am the first person who has ever received 100% in her class! And my anthropology prof singled me and two others out to note what a fabulous job we did on our finals!
#498 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have an hour left to write 3 more pages and while the info is in my head I can't seem to get it to come out!

Seriously?
#499 of 523 Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

I just told my old Stats prof that she was well-regarded on ratemyprofessor and her students considered her to be hot.

That helped to explain why some of her current students have nicknamed her chilli.

I have a lab practal on Thursday and three finals next Wednesday (all three lined up in a row, oy!!!)

They actually said if you have three or more finals scheduled in a day you could go talk with someone but I'll just tough it out.

And I have a portfolio due in English.

DB
#500 of 523 Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 AM

When is this going to end. I must have been crazy to go back full time with two tiny kids.

Last week I had a paper due on Tues, which didn't get done. He gave me until Thursday, still didn't get done. I have a paper due this coming tuesday. Another the following tuesday and another on the 20th. They are all 10-15 page research papers, one of which includes analyzing my own statistics, so not my thing. THen on top of that, I have all four finals the week before christmas. Yes thats right, we get out on the 22nd.

SO I have no time to make gifts for people and we are way to poor to buy things for everyone.

I think my head is going to explode.

Louise
#501 of 523 Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 AM

I just wanted to add that I too am drowning. I had 4 papers due the Monday after Thanksgiving. There was no way on earth I could get that done and host the holiday at my house - I got an extension until 12/5. However, there's another paper due that day anyway. So - that means I have FIVE papers due Monday. Would you like to guess how many I've written? ONE. I am so dead.

Tomorow, instead of spending the day with my DH and DS - I get to go hide in a coffee shop and try to get some of these papers banged out.

Why oh why did I think I could go to grad school, work 30 hours a week, be a mama, and remain sane?

June 2007 feels so far away right now.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#502 of 523 Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM

Just needed to vent that I abhor the way my school schedules elective classes - either on the weekend or in the evenings during the week.... nothing during the normal school day. :

I'm in class today and tomorrow and as such have NO weekend family time with dh, ds and dd.

#503 of 523 Old 12-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Arrrgghhhhh I'm so frustrated! I think I am just majorly burnt out on all this. Just everything. It is too much for me to be trying to go to school right now AND working 28 hours a week plus, AND be a mom. I'm not the parent I want to be, I'm a heinous b---- to live with because I'm so stressed by everything, and I'm not even sure I'm cut out for nursing anyway. I'm needlephobic, and I have no interest in doing anything other than lactation consultant and L&D. I don't know if I can handle the reality that sometimes patients die.

AND what makes it even harder for me is I already have a job I love. I really do. I love getting up and going to work in the morning. But I don't want to go for a teaching degree because I don't want all the extra hours that go along with it--report cards, IEP meetings, conferences, parent night, grading papers at home, etc. etc. etc. And if you do early childhood no you don't have the papers to grade but you have other records to keep that are just as time consuming. (at least with the school district you do)

Part of me just wants to quit school. But I can't. I feel guilty now that I've stuck more money into education debt. I bought a laptop for the program with loan money. I really should have listened to my friend and waited on that....but I needed a decent computer to do school at all anyway.

I don't know if this is just burnout from trying to take 9 credits, two of which are HARD classes (anatomy--a washout class for the nursing program--if you don't do well in it, you don't get in. and Chemistry which is a hard class for me. I honestly think any chem class should be 6 credits, you should be able to take it ALONE and be considered a half time student and get financial aid. That's how hard it is for me.) I am NOT NOT NOT a math person. I literally can't read the book and understand what to do. And it doesn't help that when I go for help, the instructor gets frustrated with me and almost yells at me because I don't get what seems like a really simple thing--but that is just the way it's always been for me. Other books, I can read and understand anything. If it involves math, forget it. Today, I was crying over it and now I'm mad at myself for getting that upset because it seems stupid, but at the same time I'm so frustrated because I WANT To just be able to read and understand it like apparently everyone else can do. I'm 28 years old, not 8, I don't need to be bawling over the fact that I don't get it and the teacher was mean to me...... :P

It's just so hard. Maybe I can just sell the da*n laptop to another nursing student and use the money to buy just a regular old PC that will access the internet. I'll NEVER be able to pay back my student loan without a better job, I'll never have a house in my own name because they'll take it away from me.....but I'd honestly be a happier person and a better parent than I am right now. My marriage is stressed by this too. I just can't do it all. I just can't see another 2.5 years of this. ANd I don't think I can quit my job and just do school if I do get into nursing classes this fall.

WHAT DO I DO? I was thinking if i got a nursing degree, I could make the $$ I make now just working weekends, not even *every* weekend, which would give me 5 days a week at home with the buggle, which is more than I get now. And if I did work more, I'd make a *lot* more than i do now. But, I'd also have a big student loan payment. Which I'll have anyway because I have student loans.

Sometimes I wish I'd gone out and worked a year or so before I ever went to college...or gone to a cheaper school to start with. OR something. Maybe i just need to be going for a different degree. I would LOVE it if I could find something I could do part time that's working with preschoolers with special needs which is what i do now but would pay more than what i do now. (Actually the people who do what I do deserve way more $$ maybe someday *that* will happen :P)

Maybe what i need to do is just go to somebody who does this kind of thing and say hey here's what i have for college background, what degree am I closest to, and what can I actually do with it? I'd *love* to be done in say one more year instead of 2.5-3....

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#504 of 523 Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 AM

woo hoo! Last Final is tomarrow at 9am. I will be DONE for 4 weeks.
#505 of 523 Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 PM

Melanie
#506 of 523 Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM

My husband is going to college in January. Since, he is unemployed right now they have a grant program and they offered it to me, as well. I homeschool, so I have no idea if we can really do this.

My sil (her children were homeschooled) is really supportive and she will take my 8yos (almost 9), so he doesn't have to go back to school. My 5yos is going to go to K, hopefully near here house. Then we are hoping the campus has room for our 2yos, so he can be closer to us. I'm nervous and I think I'm nuts. If it's not my cup of tea I can just finish that quarter and not loose anything or owe anything. It's all paid for including books, supplies and gas.

I have no idea if I can take the demands or be so organized. I'm so used to doing whatever I want, whenever I want. But, I really enjoyed school and would love to finish up my degree. I feel a little selfish wanting it all. But, I'm so blessed to have a family that will support us.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#507 of 523 Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 AM

As of this morning, I am DONE with this semester!!!! Finally! And it feels GOOD! I think I have 3 As and a B.

Sandy--Don't feel selfish! As for not knowing if you can be organized, that kind of made me laugh because I'm not at all...and if I can do it, you can! It will be an adjustment at first, but after a while you will get used to it. For me, I had been out for only 2 years and when I went back it was difficult for me to comprehend things and, well, to get my brain to work! But after the first 2 months, something clicked and it all became much easier. You can do it though...heck, for free, you have nothing to lose.
#508 of 523 Old 12-27-2005, 01:56 AM

hey, mamas!

I kind of fell off of here after hurricane Katrina threw us for a loop. My university actually ended up offering 45% their classes online, so I took 4 instead of the 5 that I'd started prior to Katrina. The semester started Oct 10th and ended Dec 17th. It sucked. I was sure I'd really messed up by jumping back into classes so quickly. I ended up with 3 A's! I'm still waiting on my grade for German... I'm thinking that one will be an A, maybe a B. However, I would strongly advise against taking language classes online!

Also, I was able to work on this awesome project for my Sociology class. We conducted interviews with New Orleans locals to be compiled and made part of a historical record at the University. Very, very proud of this.

I don't have to start classes this next semester until January 30th, thank goodness. Online classes again, since we may be moving somewhere in the middle of the term.

I hope everyone faired well this semester!
#509 of 523 Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

Mum,

I'm glad you got through that nightmare!!!

I got 3 A's and 2 B's. I had the biggest broom rider for public speaking. She gave me a B+, I'm usually pretty humble but I deserved an A in that class. I did well in my speeches, did all my work and did well in the tests. Everyone at my U must take a COM class so she has a Napolean Complex (sp.)

I guess 3A's and 2B's isn't really bad. I got A's in my science classes and they were HARD!!

DB
#510 of 523 Old 12-27-2005, 11:10 AM

Congrats on the great grades ladies!

I'm enjoying my two week break before heading back for midterms
Things are going well - I've already completed my observations and am keeping up with all the course work for the regular classes - having trouble staying motivated about my weekend elective course (I'll be glad when it is done on January 8).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page