Student Mama Tribe - Page 18 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#511 of 523 Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone taking next semester?

I have A&P, a writing class called, "Public Sphere", Women Today, and Botany.

I also have two labs.

I'm really looking forward to the next semester because I really want to take these classes, I'll be done all my gen-ed stuff (last writing class and Women Today is a diversity class) and I go M-W-F with a lab on T PM.

DB
#512 of 523 Old 12-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Debra,

TY. You know, even though my classes were online, you can still tell a lot about the professors. I checked out that rate-your-professor site and it confirmed my suspicions...

As far as next semester goes, I'm taking 2 Anth classes, Food & Culture and Carribean Peoples & Culture. Also, Engl Intro to Fiction and another Geography class. My selection was limited because apparently, the university thought that they didn't need to offer as many classes online, since everyone was back in the city... yeah, right. I've decided to go for that fifth class, but I wanted environmental geography and that's gone... I could take music appreciation, but I'm just not sure. I may wait until fees are supposed to be paid and see if anything opens up.

Debra, didn't you take CLEPs or Dantes tests? I'm thinking now is the time for that or else I'll never be finished before dd goes to waldorf kindergarten... *the plan*. Do you have any suggestions or tips for me? Any study guides you want to get rid of? I just purchased the CLEP study guide. My team leader in the Army thought Dantes were the best thing ever... I wish I would have paid more attention to what she said.

Grades... DB, I haven't taken either of the two math courses I need, and no science classes either. If I do as well as you, I'll probably dance naked in the street...

Dmitrizmom, I'm enjoying every minute of my break, too!
#513 of 523 Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Wow, it feels like I just got a chance to breathe! I had final 2 weeks ago and then the holidays and now I start the winter session next week on the 3rd. I am actually looking forward to it though as I have started to enjoy the structure it provieds Liberty and myelf.

So, 1/3 - 1/28 Cultural Anthropology

1/31 - 5/? Math C (College algebra)
English 1A (writing)
Psych 1 (General Psych)
Aikido (can't forget the excercise!)
#514 of 523 Old 01-02-2006, 01:01 AM

I start on the 3 January. I actually have to finish registering that day because I needed a tax transcript for my State grant. For some reason our 2003 taxes dissapeared. The only thing I'm bummed about is that I have to start under a certificate program. I really, really wanted to take ceramics this quarter. It's been so long since I did something really fun for myself. I think the Math class will be perfect though. I homeschool and my 8 year old is really getting into Math now and I'm hoping it will help me out with teaching him.

Math 166: Math Reasoning for Teachers/Parents M,W
Education 101: Online Class
First Aid and CPR (2 Saturdays) or History 104: The US to 1865 M,W

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#515 of 523 Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 AM

I got my grades and I made all As last semester! I am so happy, I had thought that four classes would be too much and wasn't even sure if I should go back at all. Classes start again for us in 2 weeks. I'm taking 4 more classes, all upper division courses in my major. I am expected to graduate in Dec 2006, so today i told some one that I graduate this year. Felt pretty good!
#516 of 523 Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 PM

Congrats!!!
#517 of 523 Old 01-05-2006, 12:47 AM

mum2a&a, I ant wait to take the fun cultural anthro classes. None were offered online this quarter.
I am taking Intro to Logic (and then no more math! YES!) Comp 101 (I was going to CLEP that one, but since we will be moving this quarter, I decided to just take it, since I need easy classes) and Guiding the Behavior of Young Children, which I am already getting alot out of! It is very positive discipline based, we get to read a book such as Raising Your Spirited Child or How to talk so your children will listen... I took it as an easy course, and I am finding that it is going to be wonderfully helpful with my spirited 4 yo.
ZakersMama, have you ever looked into Pediatric occupational, speech or physical therapy? The demand is high, the pay is great. You can even do it out of your home.
#518 of 523 Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
What is everyone taking next semester?

I have A&P, a writing class called, "Public Sphere", Women Today, and Botany.

I also have two labs.

I'm really looking forward to the next semester because I really want to take these classes, I'll be done all my gen-ed stuff (last writing class and Women Today is a diversity class) and I go M-W-F with a lab on T PM.

DB
Oh I loved Anatomy and then Physiology (I took them seperate at my school), those were 2 of my fav classes so I am sure you will enjoy them! Both involved a lot of studying but it was so interesting I never minded the studying and made A's in both I had really difficult teachers but I came away so prepared (I took a practice MCAT last semester and knew *every single* physio question they asked correct).

Oh lord I had Botany last semester and all I can say is I am glad that class is over, it was WAY to boring for me! LOL But that depends on the teacher, mine was a botany freak who has traveled the world so he knew a lot but bored the hell out of us....lol

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#519 of 523 Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 AM

Gosh I am ready for this semester to start, I am bored out of my mind!

I am taking Fundamentals and Nursing and lab (how cool I learned we get to do catheters, nasogastric tubes, trachs, wounds, etc)
Intro to Nursing
Family and Individual Development Across the Lifespan (or something like that..lol)
and some other class I can't even remember...lol

I start on Monday, everyone else ready to get back or are you still enjoying your break too much? lol

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#520 of 523 Old 01-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. I'll just get to the point quickly. Bear with me...I'm kind if freaked out after the visit I had with a financial aid counselor today and am looking for some advice or just hugs. I'm a single mother going into my junior year this Jan and my DS is 4 1/2. He goes to a preschool/daycare on campus and I get a grant from the school that covers most of the cost (but I still have to pay close to $400/semester). This is the only child care assistance I have available to me. Well, it turns out that it won't be there next year. Apparently the school didn't get the funds and are doing away with the grant completely (I might not even get it this spring). So I'm completely at a loss as to what to do. I was planning on sending him there another year so I could keep him out of the public schools (I want to homeschool) but now it looks like I have no choice. BUT even if I do send him to school I'd still end up needing after school child care because I go full time and always have class after 2:00. Schools here start at 7:45 and get out 2, this just does not mesh well with my college schedule which is why I liked having him at the on campus center on a *as needed* basis.

To further complicate things I'm running out of stafford loans! I'm over $30,000 in debt and now, just to make sure I can cover my tuition for the next two years without going over their limit of $46,000, I'm going to have to only accept $1750 in loans per semester. So I'll be having to live off of a whopping $1200 per semester now (if I'm lucky with the rising tuition, and of course there's nothing for the summer). I'm almost crying now I'm so at a loss as to how I'm going to go to school for two years full time with barely any financial aid and NO child care. I had everything going so well and now it's all turned upside down.

Anyone know if there is any way to go over the max amount for the Stafford loans? Can you request extra?

If you were in my shoes would you look into tranferring to a different school? I go to school in MN but they consider me a WI resident and they offer reciprocity. So I could look into different schools in both MN and WI. I hate the idea of transferring but the child care was one of the main things keeping me at this school.

Thanks to whoever reads this. Sorry it's so long but I needed to get that out.
#521 of 523 Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 PM

I would talk to financial aid offices at a few schools. Ask if any of them have tuition waiver programs or funds for childcare grants or would let you work in exchange for childcare. Is there any family you could live with that would help with the childcare in the afternoons? Keep your hopes up
#522 of 523 Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 AM

I would look into other schools. Apply to all nearby that offer yoru program,a nd see if anyone offers a better deal. Can you get any state assistance for childcare? If there is a YMCA nearby, they have childcare centers and offer financial assistance
#523 of 523 Old 01-06-2006, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the replies! The Y in my city doesn't have child care available. I can't get govt child care assistance. There is a charter Montessori though that offers financial assistance for their preschool program (and then it's free for kindy, but it's harder to get into that). They have an opening so I could enroll him there for this semester. I'm so sad at the thought of DS having to change schools though. We both really like his teacher and one of his really good friends was gonna be in his room this semester. And I was so happy that they were going to let him go there another year even though he was kind. age. He's going to be SO disappointed and confused if he has to switch schools.

I'm so pissed about the whole situation. The counselor said that they were getting record numbers of students who needed child care and were requesting assistance... and yet they cut this program?!@ : Seriously this is such a small amount of $ ( yet SO important) and it makes me mad that I have to pay for crap that I don't use (like on campus gyms) while the things that are truly NEEDED by students are left unfunded. Well, I'm going to have to call the director tommorow and have her confirm what the counselor said. It would have been nice if they would have sent a letter or something explaining what was going on with their funds but I guess it's not a priority to keep the student parents informed of these things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page