Student Mama Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a&a,

My DH started on Thursday. He is in heaven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 PM

pd - I'm glad the time change was a no go. I've never heard of profs doing that before. What chem are you taking? If you have problems, feel free to PM or e-mail me, and I can probably help. I'm a math nerd : , plus my FIL has his doctorate in chem. He works for a lab and teaches at a community college.

I don't start classes ntil a week from Monday. I'm at a community college this semester. Classes there are always a week after UTK starts, so students that can't attend sthere still have time to register.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 PM

Today I opened up my new-cause-I-couldn't-find-a-used-one-$104-German-textbook to find that there was no CD inside. The rule is that if you take the shrink wrap off you can't return it, so I freaked. I called the bookstore and they told me I needed to come up there a.s.a.p. to speak with a manager. So I drive all the way over there only to be told that *sometimes the prof. don't order them with CDs". So, my question is why in the heck couldn't they tell me that on the phone???

Aghhh!

PD, glad your dh is loving it. Mine is excited and yet, not so happy to be getting up for that 9 a.m. class tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i start the 25th and i cannot wait, although at my freinds dad's funeral tonight ( it was expected) she told me that one of the teacher was a jerk, if you questioned him about anything he would drop you a letter grade. she hated him, although i am taking it with a grain of salt, i love her but she needs always to be right. and will argue till the end.

i just looked at the schedule for one day classes and they have three essential oil classes. i am going to try to get my mom to take them with me. i am so excited! they start in oct. so classes will be fully running then and i wont be overwhelmed with the newness of it.
my school rocks!
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 AM

mum2a&a~ CRAP!! I wish I would have known!! I have my 165 dollar German text, lab, and CD I could have sent it to! is yours Deutch Naklar? Can you take yous back. I can still send the ones I have to you.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
Ok, be brutally honest with me:

Am I completely crazy to take 12 hours? 4 classes? I've done it before, but never while having 2 children. Last time I did, my son was 2 and I was in my first trimester with my dd, and it wore me out. Of course, I was exhausted anyway and felt ill. I did it when my son was a baby and that went fine...

But I haven't taken a full load in a long time and I'm feeling kind of nervous. But I am TIRED of going to school semester after semester and not graduating...I just want to finish this degree, once and for all.

Ok, thanks for listening. :LOL
I think you will do fine, it will not be as bad as you think! I normally take about 14-15 hours a semester, never any less, so I know if I can do it you can too. I also have 2 kids and I also homeschool them so we are usually pretty darn busy BUT I make it work. Do I get really stressed out sometimes--yes, I think we all do when we have kids.

I think time management is the key like someone else pointed out. I set aside time for everything outside of my school time: homeschooling, my studying (usually late at night), working out (a MUST IMO, helps so much with stress and to clear your head), cleaning, cooking, all that jazz. I also have a big calendar where I write *everything* down on from tests, extra lab time, Dr's appts, books due back at library, just everything that way I can SEE it everyday hanging on my wall above my desk. It really helps me because if I didn't have that I am horrible about forgetting stuff.

Anyways, good luck! I start classes on monday.

Marilyn

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
Old 08-20-2005, 03:11 AM

thanks for all the encouragement

since this is mdc, i'll say this: i go back and forth between being excited about school and being nervous, and I kid you not...before ovulation i am looking forward to school. post ovulation i am thinking it's a bad idea. it's been this way for the past 3 months :LOL

i know, i'm strange :
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 AM

that isnt strange at all.

i second the big calender, so important. but remember to "schedule" down time for yourself, and if you have one, yourself and d.p.

maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm a scheduling freak, but don't have a large calendar. I'm going to go get one this afternoon!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:28 AM

mine is small too stuff ends up writen on the edges and forgotten about. i need a big one!

maya

Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

CD's, grrrrrr I had my own issue with CD's in used texts and new texts. I purchased a text at a discount that was advertised as "new" only to receive it (shrinkwrap and all) sans essential "e-grade" cd. The Chem prof said I must had the cd for class. So I ship it back (they did give me the refund) and I searched for another and no cd so I had to suck it up and buy the brand new text with the cd at market price (as in sky high). errrrr.

About the 14 credits, you can do it, it will take discipline. I'm taking 16 credits this semester and I have eight kiddos. I know my social life will be limited and there will be no Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy for me this fall.

Debra Baker
Old 08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

And is anyone else having trouble with bags?

I have the largest bag/backpack/briefcase in the house and it won't hold all my stuff. I'm seriously considering the geek alternative; a suitcase with the rollers so I can drag my sorry collection of textbooks and not completely kill my poor back. I could, in theory, go back to the car but if I must park in the remote lot (parking is a big issue) I won't have time between classes. I have five in a row hence seven texts and notebooks. Oy-vey, what a mess.

DB
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 PM

yeah, i have a messenger bag

Old 08-20-2005, 01:56 PM

PD,

Mine is Kontakte. But that makes me think...maybe we should do something before next semester to see if anyone has/needs the books we'll all have available?

About the calendars. I need to get a smaller one for myself, but for the family I bought a huge dry erase board! Everything we have to do is on there. I think it's was $7 or so and the markers $3. I put it in the kitchen so we'll not be able to miss it.

About the bags/packs. I've got to figure something out. I've been going to appts all summer long at the VA and they've diagnosed me with degenerative disc disease. All I know is my back has been killing me since May (it used to be sporadic). It's hard enough to sit in some of those awful chairs in class, so I need to do something else with my books. I cannot carry them. So, a dork I may be, but I might have to go get the rolling pack. I've also seen people wheeling the small luggage cases to and fro...might be just what I need.

Debra, you've made me a little less worried. If you can do 16 hrs with 8 kids, I have no right to be worrying about 18 hrs with 2 kids. :LOL
Old 08-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Hi ladies! Mind if I join? I'm currently working on my DC - almost 1/2 way though. I already have a BA, BS and MS in non-related fields.

I'm currently taking 34 hours (yep 34 - not a typo...). I'm in class from 7:30am to 3pm, then in lab 3 days a week as an assistant until ~5pm. I have 2 dc - ds is 4.5 yo and dd just turned 2.

I've gotten pretty good at time management, but feel like I'm losing my mind this trimester. My school year is weird as we are on the trimester schedule... we get a week at the end of October after finals, two weeks at Christmas, one week at the end of February after finals, and three weeks in June/July after finals. I have National board exams (part I) mid-September that I'm studying for while trying to keep up with all of the homework, exams, practicals, etc for my course load.

Hope to get to know you all.

I agree with school being an investment - my investment by the time I'm done will be close to $200,000.00... but is totally worth it.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

34 hours How do you do that thing???

16 hours, I worry about it but it can be done and if I get into med school it will be like the pre season of studying hard

I think I have a briefcase as large as the large totes on that link and it isn't enough. Sigh, geekhood likely awaits but I don't want to blow out my back or shoulder either.

db
Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM

they have an extra large too.
about the rolling backpack, use one mum2a&a, i only object to them is when the person using one takes up room say, on the elevator when a differently abled person needs the room. (it happens often at my school.) it sounds like you have a ligitamite reason to use one. dont feel bad about it.
welcoem, demititrezmom- 34 hours, sre hours the same as credits? most schools here wouldnt let you do that, even if you could.

maya

Old 08-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Yep, sames as credits - about the equivalent work per hour as when I was at University of Iowa working on my Engineering degrees... They can get around it because it is primarily one degree program - the can schedule our classes back to back to back...

For the first four trimesters, the average load is about 30 hours. Trimesters 5-8, the loads range between 34 and 38. Those extra 4 to 8 hours are "electives" that are taken on weekends or during our short breaks (class from 8am-7pm for 6 days). 9th and 10th trimesters, the load settles back down to 30, with most of those hours being clinical experience... About half of the classes are "mandatory attendance" - if you overcut, even if you have passing scores on all graded material, you fail the class and have to repeat.

The entire program is 10 trimesters long if you follow the "regular" schedule... There are students on what they call the "reduced/special schedule" that take 20-25 hours per trimester and graduate in 11 - 14 trimesters. The program is actually a five year degree smooshed into 3 1/3 years...

Needless to say, the saying around here is that "most students either get married, divorced or have a baby" while they are working on their degrees... I'm hoping to hold steady at married with 2 kids... although - we are eventually planning on 2 more dc.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 08-20-2005, 05:03 PM

what are you in school for? if i remember correctly p.a.

maya

Old 08-20-2005, 05:07 PM

HI!
I am a RN but starting Midwifery school on Tuesday!!
May I join in??
Old 08-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm joining you! I only took 1 class this semester and even though the class was faster paced with more work it was more relaxed and I enjoyed it. This semester i'm taking 15 units which will kill me because one of the classes is a critical reading class (my weak point) and it looks like we will be reading 9 novels along with 2 huge text books! I know that class is going to take some time! It usually takes me a month just to read Mothering due to the contant "mom! mom! mom! watch me! mom!" She starts full day kindergarten in 2 weeks so i'll actually get study time!

Anyone else at the prices of text books this year? I know at least 2 of my classes have new text books so I cant get used Where are you guys checking online to cheap texts? I've checked half.com, amazon, abebooks.com and ebay. So far i've only found 1 book I need.

Seriously?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:52 PM

Chiropractor.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:28 PM

hi satori and four greatkiddo's~ glad to have you here. four great kiddo's, ive read more than a few of you posts over in doula, midwifery forum. like what you've had to say. i plan to be a midwife (?) eventually.

sarotri you in the single mama forum too arent you?
welcome both.
dmitiriz mom~ right chiropratic. i knew that. .

maya

Old 08-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Hi to fourgrtkidos and Satori. Just joined this thread myself.

Maya - don't worry about it... some days I have to think to remember what dh's job is, much less anyone else. LOL

Old 08-20-2005, 08:09 PM

i fake it well.
maya

Old 08-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

I'm torn between PA and DO so that may be where you got the PA notion.

Debra Baker
Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 PM

right on...(picture a hang ten hand symbol here.)
maya

Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya
yeah, i have a messenger bag this one in fact. http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/p...5&categoryId=6

i am not suggesting you buy one, but it works well for me, they last FOREVER, waterproof, comfy, all that i need...

maya
Maya,
Are these really that comfortable on your back? Like everyone else I have to make a couple trips throughout the day to change out my books because I have so many, plus all my lab stuff, it just all takes up so much flippin' room! LOL I am in desperate need of a new bag but haven't gotten one yet (still waiting for all my student loans to get in).

Old 08-21-2005, 12:35 AM

Satori, have you checked out www.addall.com

It searches several booksellers online and compares prices.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I'm torn between PA and DO so that may be where you got the PA notion.

Debra Baker
Debra have you been to mommd.com? There is also oldpremeds.com Both are excellent sites and I frequent them quite often. Most of the PAs I know LOVE their jobs, they get to be a Dr without all the bs Most physicians I know are very dissillusioned with it all and are so deeply in debt they are basically stuck in a job they don't much like. That scares me.

I'm also strongly considering epidemiology....combines human health, science, microbiology and disease into one field. But PA is still a close second for me. I just don't want to take physics...lol That is the only pre-rec I lack is Physics 1 and 2 for PA program.

User Tag List