Student Mama Tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how you feel Zakers mama. There is no way I'll be able to get my books before I get my fin aid check. We are broke and dh doesn't get paid again until the same time we'll get the stupid check. I just hope I don't have any reading assignments or anything like that before then. Too bad if I do, I guess.

Classes don't start for me until Aug 31. The main thing I'm worried about is that I am newly pg and have a cooking class at 8:45 in the morning. That should be fun if I have m/s!
#242 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
more than once i have shared a copy of the text with someone or had them share with me. i have a plan for each class i take, i get there a liittle early and see if a friend is in class with me, if not i look for someone i've had in a class before, then i try to find someone who is my age, maybe a mom...something we have in common. that way i have a note taker if i miss a day, i can do the sme for them. you could do the same with the books, find someone you know or what ever and see if theyd be willing to share.
good luck.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#243 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

I want to welcome Zakers Mama to this thread.

I wish I was one of your real friends right now. I'm wondering whether we could set up some coop in which we could donate our used books to other students and the student would just pay the shipping. I don't have enough spare room here to warehouse a bunch of books but I'm scratching my head wondering how the heck we could work out the details of a textbook cooperative.

I'd give my other student mom sisters my old books.

DB
#244 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick
I The main thing I'm worried about is that I am newly pg and have a cooking class at 8:45 in the morning. That should be fun if I have m/s!
oh yargh..........I remember those days! (I am NOT posting a certain smiley here) the worst for me was when I was about 10 weeks prg. maybe and we went to dh's aunt's out of town........they eat a LOT of lamb. Ever smelled lamb cooking? I could NOT go near that kitchen! I could EAT it, I just couldn't SMELL it cooking!

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#245 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya
more than once i have shared a copy of the text with someone or had them share with me. i have a plan for each class i take, i get there a liittle early and see if a friend is in class with me, if not i look for someone i've had in a class before, then i try to find someone who is my age, maybe a mom...something we have in common. that way i have a note taker if i miss a day, i can do the sme for them. you could do the same with the books, find someone you know or what ever and see if theyd be willing to share.
good luck.
maya
I don't KNOW anybody yet! MAYBE as I'm slinging DS through orientation, I'll meet some other nice mama who's in chem with me.....or some nice BSN major who's taking that wellness class I gotta take.....here's hoping!! (I can't go ANYWHERE with him without SOMEBODY telling me how *adorable* he is, the big brown eyes, the curls.... *sigh* LOL)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#246 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I want to welcome Zakers Mama to this thread.

I wish I was one of your real friends right now. I'm wondering whether we could set up some coop in which we could donate our used books to other students and the student would just pay the shipping. I don't have enough spare room here to warehouse a bunch of books but I'm scratching my head wondering how the heck we could work out the details of a textbook cooperative.

I'd give my other student mom sisters my old books.

DB
That would be a *great* idea........if every school in the world used the same books........the hardest part is, MOST DON't Even my friend who is taking the SAME program her sister took LAST FALL can't use her books because the school CHANGED THEM ALL!!!!! grr

plus there's things like if I do decide to go BSN, I need to keep my chem book because I'll use it for the other chem class I'd need too. I wouldn't necessarily want to send it away in between just in case something happened and I didn't get it back.....

but it might work for some classes/schools/books.........it is at least worth a shot... I have NO idea what to do to coordinate it maybe a post saying post the books you need here? Put it on the FFS board over on the TP? but then mamas who can't access TP yet can't see it. A post here on WM? Worth a shot.

#247 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Another thought is to check the library for the books. Some schools have them available to be checked out. The library at the community college I'm at has at least one copy of each textbook on reserve. You can oly check it out for a certain amount of time, 2 hours I think, but you could read or photocopy assignments that way.

Also, financial aid checks aren't released until 2 weeks into the semester, but starting the day before classes start, they allow students to borrow against their financial aid balance in order to get books when classes start.

I bought my books used on amazon.com, except for the "bundle" I need for my computer class because I don't know what books are in it. (I'm getting it Friday when I can use my financial aid.) For 5 classes I saved $150 buying them from amazon.com instead of the school bookstore. It would have been $400 from school, and I spent $250, and that includes the $100 "bundle" I still need to get.
#248 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakers_mama
I don't KNOW anybody yet! MAYBE as I'm slinging DS through orientation, I'll meet some other nice mama who's in chem with me.....or some nice BSN major who's taking that wellness class I gotta take.....here's hoping!! (I can't go ANYWHERE with him without SOMEBODY telling me how *adorable* he is, the big brown eyes, the curls.... *sigh* LOL)

Have you checked with the school to make sure its ok to bring DS? I know they do not allow you to bring kids to ours because they cause distractions and make you reschedule for when you can get a sitter.

On another note I have decided that Monday is movie day! I rarely get to see movies and since I have like 3 hours inbetween classes that day I went and saw Monster in Law yesterday and loved it! Didn't get to see the last 30 minutes but since its only $1 I don't mind paying twice to see the rest of the movie It felt so nice to just relax and laugh!

Seriously?
#249 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I asked in the school office, they said it's fine, it's a deal where you can bring whoever you want with. They're playing some sort of jeopardy type game for prizes, there's food, you get your student ID pic taken and buy your parking pass, that sort of thing. Nothing formal. The kind of thing a lot of 18/yos might bring parents to ya know?

That's a good idea about the library....except I'm off campus! As in attending at a satellite campus with no library.......apparently you're supposed to either use the public one or drive an hour to your main campus??

Here's hopin I meet someone who might let me copy their book for the first reading assignment!!!

#250 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Hey! I belong here now! :LOL

I just started my semester yesterday. I was going to school for biological engineering before I got prego, and I took the last year off. DS is going to be one next month (how did that happen?!) so I'm going back. And after learning all I've learned and having the most wonderful natural birth, I've decided to get a nursing degree and go on to be a certified nurse midwife. I'm so excited! I never thought I'd get "back on track" after having a baby... and the cool thing is, having DS is what led me to what I really want to do!

I'm taking only four courses (12 hours) right now, to ease back into it. I'm going to the local community college and taking all my classes online. I started last night, and I can tell it's going to be hard to make myself do it (I have assignments already and a quiz on Friday!)... but worth it! I got financial aid at least so there's no worries there. And I remind myself that the sooner I can finish, the sooner DH can go to school. I"m going to go to school and until I get my degree, then work as a nurse while he goes to school for chemical engineering. Then when he's finished and working (depending on the kids situation of course) I"ll go to midwifery school. That's the plan for now anyway--we all know how well those work! But this way, one of us will almost always be home with DS hopefully. And we won't have to struggle as much for money. I just need to hurry up--DH's GI Bill is only good for 10 years and it's already been a year.

Good luck to everyone! I'm going to be checking in on this thread now.
#251 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 06:45 PM

Yikes! I just ran by the bookstore to see how much my books were going to cost. Over $400!!!! And it's only for 4 stupid classes.
#252 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yikes! I just ran by the bookstore to see how much my books were going to cost. Over $400!!!! And it's only for 4 stupid classes.
ikwym!

Seriously?
#253 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 07:02 PM

My books were less than $250 this semester, for 4 classes! I lucked out.

Quote:
On another note I have decided that Monday is movie day! I rarely get to see movies and since I have like 3 hours inbetween classes that day I went and saw Monster in Law yesterday and loved it!
That's such a good idea! I wish I could do that...I have a huge break on Tuesdays...but since there is absolutely no parking on campus unless your staff/faculty, and the nearest theatre is 15 minutes away, it would be a lot of trouble to get there.

Nine days to go until I start classes...
#254 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
My books were less than $250 this semester, for 4 classes! I lucked out.

That's such a good idea! I wish I could do that...I have a huge break on Tuesdays...but since there is absolutely no parking on campus unless your staff/faculty, and the nearest theatre is 15 minutes away, it would be a lot of trouble to get there.

Nine days to go until I start classes...
Is there a bus you can take? Or can you park just outside of campus? Exercise is good for ya!

Seriously?
#255 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
$435 for four classes here. That's more than I spent a few years ago when I was taking 17-18 hours and had a huge calc book and chem and way more stuff! What the heck happened?!
#256 of 523 Old 08-23-2005, 07:59 PM

I think that books for this trimester were supposed to cost me ~$500... I'm skating by using the books in the library, borrowing one from my brother (who is one trimester ahead of me), and buying the ones that I need (~$200). On top of the I had to buy my diagnostic equipment - stethoscope, blood pressure cuffs, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, 3 tuning forks, and 2 reflex hammers - to the tune of almost $1000 (I did the payment plan - spreads out the cost over the next year, but still!). I still need to purchase the 2 goniometers that are $70 each.

The cost of books for school - any school - is outrageous. :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#257 of 523 Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 AM

dumd ass question number 8 million 7 thousand here goes.
so do you need all that equipment new? or say made in this decade? or does used do well?
i have my grandfathers equipment...but he stopped practicing in i wanna say 1999....
thanks, maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#258 of 523 Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya
dumd ass question number 8 million 7 thousand here goes.
so do you need all that equipment new? or say made in this decade? or does used do well?
i have my grandfathers equipment...but he stopped practicing in i wanna say 1999....
thanks, maya

I'm not the person this was directed at but I just wanna say that there are some really nice people here at MDC

Satori *who thinks its way to early to be up and wonders if its possible to switch anth 101 sessions...

Seriously?
#259 of 523 Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

I don't have an answer but how awesome to have equipment passed down to you.

db
#260 of 523 Old 08-24-2005, 05:20 PM

I would have loved to have gotten some of the items used, but very few are available here on campus (and those that are, tend to go quickly - was a problem as 1/2 my financial aid package was delayed by about a month : ) and once school started time was a factor. I did want the new oto-ophthalmoscope (can see about 5x more with the one that I got than you can with a traditional ophthalmoscope) http://www.allheart.com/wa97850c.html - here's the set I got (but for a little less because they give a student discount at the campus bookstore).

I'm trying to remind myself that I will be using them when I'm in practice and see them as an investment.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#261 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
I'm not the person this was directed at but I just wanna say that there are some really nice people here at MDC

Satori *who thinks its way to early to be up and wonders if its possible to switch anth 101 sessions...

ohhh thank you ...

ohh that looks like the coolest stuff dmitzmom. i would love that. hmmm my birthday is coming up, i wonder if i could get each cousin uncle parent and aunt to buy me a seperate piece.

doubt it, be a girl can dream...
i start tomorrow! i start tomorrow i start tomorrow! ask me how excited i am...
maya

#262 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 AM

Can I just rant here for a minute? I went to the loan workshop today (first one of the semester) and we wont get our loans until mid Nov! So basically, I'll get $1k from Pell 2 weeks into the semester then NOTHING until Nov! How the heck am I supposed to pay the bills? That won't even cover books and transportation! I take out the loans to pay the bills so I can go to school! So now I get to drop half my classes and go find a job really fast because of the weird way there doing classes this semester time wise most of the classes I need (1x week) start 3:45pm and end at 6:50pm or 7-10pm (or there 3-5 days a week and I can't work and do that!) and my child care ends at 6pm and is an hour away! Not to mention I had to take the loan out to pay the childcare in the first place! Everyone thought we would have the money next month which is fine but they wont even look at the apps till the end of Sept! Last year they didn't have this crap! I am so ticked right now! I hope to god I can find a decent paying job fast only working 3 days a week.

Seriously?
#263 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Maya - How excited are you? :LOL

Satori - That stinks about financial aid being that late.

#264 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 AM

hey mamas... just a request... send some good vibes my way tomorrow - I have three midterm exams... one at 9:20, one at 2:00 and one at 3:00. Thanks.

#265 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm starting back to university part-time in Jan after a 4 yr absence- Political Studies major working towards MA in International Relations.

DS is 2 and DD is 4 months.
#266 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM

sartori that sucks about the financial aid, can you appeal?
first day of class went well. i can tell my mom is tired of baby sitting, she rarely does it but today it just got to her.

classes went well, but tiring. i leave for colorado tomorrow so tonight i will be doing my homework....
hope everyone is doing well.
maya

#267 of 523 Old 08-25-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
hey mamas... just a request... send some good vibes my way tomorrow - I have three midterm exams... one at 9:20, one at 2:00 and one at 3:00. Thanks.
Good luck!! (this is not a baby dust fairy...in this case it is a "you'll ace your midterms" fairy)

Satori, that's ridiculous about financial aid. What do they expect people to do???

Maya, glad your first day went well!

Welcome Naiad!

In one week from today, I will officially be a student again!!! I am getting really excited. And kind of nervous. I'm a bsw student, and I'm really looking forward to learning more about the field and finding my place in it. I'm still not sure what it is exactly that I want to do, and I have a hard time narrowing down my interests. I have a feeling it will be quite a journey. I hope!

And if not...as long as I get to wear a cap and gown and get that degree, 3 semesters from now, I'll be happy
#268 of 523 Old 08-26-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
goodie goodie goodie vibes coming you way.
good memory good luck good standing ( in the grades)
maya

#269 of 523 Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Hope the mid-terms went well!

This has been such a long week! TGIF!!! All of my classes went well. The only problem I ran into was with dd going to the childcare center. She was very upset about the whole thing. She cried all the way over there Wednesday morning and when I left her there she was still crying. She kept telling me "it's not okay". I tried to tell myself it's just an adjustment period but...

when I went back to pick her up, she was sitting at the table for lunch with her eyes all watery and her lip and chin quiverring. My heart just ached. So I went in and tried to get her to eat with the other kids. (She didn't eat at all that day, till I got her home!) I was checking her food out, and noticed that they had given her regular milk instead of the soy I had requested. The someone that gave her the regular milk, was the center's director!!! What if it had been a child that was allergic? I know for a fact there's a little boy in her class who has SEVERE allergies!

The other thing is...I had this older teacher in her class tell me that I must have *spoiled* her because she was she was upset that I was leaving, that she was *using* the crying against me, and she also implied that I was bad because I didn't send her to a nursery!!!

She's not going back. I have been in the position where I didn't have any choice about sending ds to daycare. Thankfully now I have a choice, because knowing and feeling the way I do now, there is NO way I could send her back on Monday.

Do you all think I should tell the little boy's mama about the milk incident?
#270 of 523 Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 PM

The exams that I had yesterday went mostly well. Didn't do as well as I had hoped on the 3rd one, but by the end of the day, I was wiped out. Thanks for the good vibes.

mum2a&a - wow... totally out of line for that teacher to comment on your parenting. s: hope that you can find a provider that better meets your and you dd's needs. I would probably say something to the other mama, but don't know for sure how I would approach the issue....something for me to think about for future...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page