Student Mama Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 523 Old 06-15-2005, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many student mothers out there? I am working on a BA in Anthropology through a distance program at a local university. Anyody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 523 Old 06-15-2005, 02:48 PM

I'm a student mama too! I just finished my junior year (going for my Bachelor's in Psychology) and will be starting my senior year in the fall. After that I'm going into the Master's program for Early Childhood Education and eventually I want to teach K-3rd- possibly special Education.

I had my son in March over spring break :LOL totally not planned but worked out great! I only missed that week and the next and my Professors were very understanding. It's strange how having a baby has affected my school performance- in a positive way. I actually made the Dean's List this semester which I have only done one other time!

I will have less time to focus on school now that he's here so I only hope I can do fairly well next semester...I'm trying to figure out where to pump on my 15 min. break since my there is no nursing/pumping room

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#3 of 523 Old 06-15-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm here. Pre-nursing, eventual bachelor of science.

See my thread here:

http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=300963

I was just wondering where everyone was at yesterday.
#4 of 523 Old 06-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Me!

I just finished my first year of a four year BScN program (RN, Bachelor of Science in Nursing).

Buttttttt, I switched to the RPN program for the fall. I automatically get placed in second year - and this time next year I will have graduated and be working.

Giving up a degree for diploma was a touch painful, but dh and I are hoping to TTC next spring, and I want to be done school by the time the baby comes - and have worked six months in order to get maternity leave.

Nice to meet everyone!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#5 of 523 Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 PM

Student mama here!! :

I am two classes away from an associate's in law enforcement. I will have another two years for my bachelor's degree. I was full-time for a year, but I am switching to part-time in the fall for awhile. I am a little burned out and we are pulling our crew from ps to homeschool them. I figured I would need some time to adjust. I will have class one night from 5:30 til 9.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#6 of 523 Old 06-16-2005, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Nice to meet everyone. Being a full-time student while working from home and being a mom is certainly crazy sometimes but I'm lucky I don't have to go anywhere to go to school, and I can go at 3 in the morning if I want, of course I did end up taking my biology final while I was in full labor I would really feel like I was missing out on a whole world full of knowledge if I didn't attend school, I do love it.
#7 of 523 Old 06-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Biomajor here.

I just took another clep yesterday and have one scheduled for 29 June. When I pass the next clep I'll be a sophomore :

Im thinking about going into the PA program but, if I have the overies, I may go to be a DO.

Time will tell.

In the meantime I have Bio and Chem in the fall, oy-vey.

Debra Baker
#8 of 523 Old 06-19-2005, 02:04 PM

I'm a senior in Psych. I went to school (prenursing) for 3 years in CA, then took a 7 year break (military, got married, had a baby), and went back as a junior when Ben was 13 months. I'm doing an internship next semester, and hope to get a job out of it. I'll graduate in May, take the summer off, and start grad school in the fall, if all goes according to plan(which, of course it never does)
#9 of 523 Old 06-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Moving this. See this thread for more info

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&page=1&pp=40
OK I was about to sign onto this tribe, but now I see its in working mamas (I'm not) and err, your link goes to the ganja thread :LOL

nothing more to say I guess :
#10 of 523 Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 AM

Another student mama here

I should be done with my BSN by the first week in September. I am already a nurse, but wanted to get my 4 year degree.

Will probably start the Masters program Fall 06' *sigh*
#11 of 523 Old 06-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Starting law school in the fall... quaking in my birkenstocks...

Leah.
#12 of 523 Old 06-21-2005, 03:18 PM

I am a sophomore getting my BA in biology so I can then hopefully apply for Veterinary School. I have a long school road ahead of me. Nice to see other student mommas!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#13 of 523 Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

I'm currently a BS in Bio but I'm likely changing to a BA because the only difference is a language cluster and I want to be a PA or DO and want to take Spanish so I can communicate with Hispanic patients.

I may switch to (go ahead and laugh) a BS in "Liberal Studies"
#14 of 523 Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Full-time working, student single mamma here - - working on finishing my BA in History and planning to start law school in 2007 :
#15 of 523 Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 AM

i'm a bsw major with 3 semesters left. i've been in school off and on for the past 7 years or so, and i'm going back after taking 4 semesters off after my dd's birth. i have 2 kids, an almost 5 year old son and a 1.5 year old daughter. as i've mentioned a trillion times on mdc, i am nervous about going back after being gone for so long, and with having two. glad to have this tribe! the posts here are pretty inspirational, and i'll take all the inspiration i can get!
#16 of 523 Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

Try a 27 year hiatus.

db
#17 of 523 Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM

HI, me too! Masters in Library Science - I'm a children's librarian. Have 1 year left. Between school, work, and dd and being divorced, some days I don't know if I'm coming or going!

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#18 of 523 Old 06-25-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
Try a 27 year hiatus.

db
no thank you
#19 of 523 Old 06-25-2005, 11:36 PM

nak

i just registered for school on friday, and in a year i will be a massage therapist!!

darkstar
#20 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello all!

well i signed up for classes just the other day. the semester starts on august 25th.

here is my schedule
mondays social psychology
tuesdays general pyschology, pre algebra
wednesday general pysch. lab and social pysch.
thursdays pre algebra and general pysch
fridays families in contemporary society.

holy smooley i am excited!

what of all of your classes? as you can tell i relied heavily on the recommendations of the school for what nursing students needed. thats why the pysch. and families in contemporary society (sociology class) and math.
otherwise i would be sticking to the women's history certificate but i felt as though i needed to be closer to getting into nursing school.

maya ramble on and on queen

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#21 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Banned

M-W-F I have an English class called "Views on Literacy", Bio (for majors) Chem (again for majors), Algebra-Trig, and I'm trying to schedule Spanish.

Thursday is lab day. I have Bio lab in the AM and Chem lab in the afternoon.

Debra Baker
#22 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 09:45 AM

Taking summer off. Transferring to UNCP in the Fall. Majoring in English Education with the ESL add-on licensure.

Will enter as a junior. Can't wait. The professors there rock! Dh is a junior there now, majoring in Social Studies Education. He wants to teach middle school, I will teach secondary

Chat more later, off to zoo now...
#23 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM

i took the summer off to and wasnt going to sign up for classes but the letter from the womens college i applied to hasnt come yet. i figure if i get accepted, and i will universe, that i will start spring semester of next year.

maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#24 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I will be a student mama in the fall as well. I am starting my first year in the Midwifery Education Program at university. I'm so excited. I made my schedule so that I had classes all in the mornings Tues.-Fri., with two late lectures after dd will be in bed.

I arranged it this way because dp and I will both be in full-time University and we wanted to have all of our classes in the mornings or at night at opposite times so that dd only needed to go to child care mornings four days per week instead of all day every day.

What are your children's child care arrangements? Do any of you also have student dp's/dh's? How do you work it out/finance it?

I'm glad we started this thread, encouragement and support will abound I'm sure!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#25 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 08:25 PM

Although officially I'm DONE with law school (graduated in May when DS was 5 months), I still FEEL like a student b/c I'm studying for the bar...ARG!

BTW Leah, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#26 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 09:51 PM

well, no ians dad does not help me go to school. he does however help his soon to be wife go to school. in fact, he tried to be very very discouraging when i started. so never mind him.
ian is older so i dont have day care issues, when he was younger and i was in school i did though. i asked friends to babysit, i brought him to class, i begged my mom to do it, i asked uncles, aunts, and former mil.

i dont know how i pay for it. i jsut do. i get financial aid and loans.

good luck.
maya

#27 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Right now my youngest is going into first grade (!!!) and I scheduled classes so I would be here for her but a time will come when I need to schedule a class that conflicts with her schedule.

So far avoidance.

I am taking out my first stafford loan.

Gulp.

Debra Baker
#28 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 PM

I got into grad school (MA in Religious Studies) early spring last year and found out I was pregnant (unplanned) a month or two later! I still have no clue how to make it work - I did one semester last fall and loved it, baby was born early January and I haven't done a thing towards school since! I'm just recovering from sever PPD and can't wait to get started on my projects... but it seems to impossible, with dd being 6 months and I don't have childcare (unless hubby stays at home, which we can't really afford)... Humph. It's been a challenge trying to figure it out. How do other mamas do it????

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#29 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 10:17 PM

db, if you need justification for loans i got it many times over here ya go.
i think of it like this
well a loan is an investment in your future self.
this especially applies to single mama's but to all mama's really
if you get a college degree it means alot alot more money that a highschool diploma,
partnered mama's the what if's come to mind, all of them, what if some one died? what if your partner lost their job etc. etc.

i take out loans becasue i know a waitreess, my current job i make say 10,000 dollars a year. actually thats about 3x what i make but for arguments sake...
a nurse, two year RN national average is 56,000 dollars a year. i can do the math. i can buy a home, pay off my loans, and feed us on 56k. i cant on 10k.

that's why i am in school, that's why i take out loans.

#30 of 523 Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

I want to be a PA (I think they start at about $65,000 here or a DO (six figures.)

But the debt seems overwhelming.

db

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page