Working in a private school vs. public school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just granted an interview for a first-grade teaching position in a private school in my area. I taught public school for about five years before DD was born, and have been a SAHM until this summer, when I took a job working in the summer camp run by this particular private school.

I have no idea what working in a private school is like compared to public school. Of course I know there's no teacher's union, and I also know that they tend to pay a good deal less than public schools (at least in this area they do). But I know nothing about what the day-to-day stuff is like. Has anyone here eve4r taught in a private school? Or both, and can give me some idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM

My dh is a public school teacher. Two of my sisters have taught at both public and private schools, and both prefer teaching in public schools depending on the district. The pay at the private schools is as you said, much worse. The big positive is that there aren't so many discipline issues. But there are more petty politics. In both my sisters' experience in private schools, the parents and kids are always right and the teachers aren't backed up in the least by the administration. Also, there's lots more BS, in terms of being expected to do extra stuff.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 PM

I'm not a teacher, but my best friend is, at a private school. She is expected to get by with much less prep time and longer hours in addition to the lower pay already mentioned working at a private school vs. public. That's about all I know, since I'm not a teacher, but those are things she has mentioned that frustrate her about the job.

OTOH, she says the kids' behavior is excellent, which makes her job easier when it comes to actually teaching! She also gets more backup from parents than she did teaching public school.

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 PM

I'm in the pub. schools. Friends in private schools talk about very powerful wealthy parents who feel free to be very controlling of classroom policy. I'd ask administators point-blank how of if they support teachers in contentious parent situations.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:19 PM

My husband and I have both worked in both public and between us an assortment of private. Pay is better in public. In our experience private depends entirely on who's in charge at the top. My best experience was in a private school. So was my worst.

good luck

-Angela

User Tag List