Taking your babies to work end of August-Sept. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to start a new thread in hopes that we can all keep up with it a little better.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#2 of 41 Old 08-22-2005, 12:21 AM

Wow, thanks nannymom, and thanks to mamabeth for resurrecting the thread!
I'm interested in hearing more about working with 2 (or more) children. We've only got one right now and afaik, I'm not pregnant, but we do hope to have a second one in the future.

Ds is now almost 10 months old, and still goes to work with me every day, but this week we are going to try a little bit of day care, a few hours two mornings a week. I hope that when he is 2, he'll be able to go to the universities' childcare center, but I didn't want an abrupt transition, and he's getting bored spending so many hours per week in the office.

Tomorrow, I'll take him over and stay with him for a while, see how he does with the other kids, then bring him back to the office, then on Tues., if all goes well, I'll leave him there for the morning .

It's actually kind of funny, I was hoping to take a GIS course that I really could have used, and thought that it would be a good time to try two mornings of daycare to give ds a break from the office and hopefully make a smoother transition to the childcare center when he is two. I was getting worried because there isn't much in the way of childcare around here, but then I got lucky and found someone who ended up being highly recommended.

So, we took him there for introductions on Thursday, and then on Friday, I went to pay for the class, get validated, etc. After doing all that, I found out that the class had been cancelled! So, no class anymore, but I think we'll still go with the plan of two mornings of daycare.

He'll still be spending 24-30 hours per week in the office with me, so I've been working on childproofing the office and rotating books and toys so that he has lots to play with and explore there. It's also getting a bit cooler out (finally) so we can spend more time at the park or out for a jog in the jogger. (maybe I can get my running back on track!)

So, now that ds is getting more mobile (crawling, pulling up on furniture, cruising) any great suggestions for keeping him happy and entertained in the office?

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#3 of 41 Old 08-22-2005, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the new thread, nannymom!
So glad to hear you had a good morning, Beth. The new nursery worker sounds great. Keep us posted!

As for me, the college here starts classes in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to hire a student to sit with Thomas at my office 2x week, the mornings when I'm in study groups. Our student center/church office is just a block from campus and a friend on the education faculty is getting referrals for me, so I'm keeping fingers crossed!
#4 of 41 Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 PM

I'm copying my post from the other thread here because it's more of a followup to my earlier post on this thread...hope that's OK
Hi all, and glad to see the thread going (and the new one as well!). I'm interested in hearing more about working with 2 or more kids, and ideas for older (more mobile!) babies.

As I posted over there, today I was supposed to take ds to spend some time in what was going to be morning daycare 2x per week. (I had signed up for a GIS course with my tuition waiver, but found out on Friday that the course had been cancelled...but we decided to go with a few mornings a week of daycare to give him a break from the 'boring' office and let him have the chance to play with other kids.

So, this morning I was going to go over there with him and hang out while he spent some time there. On the way there I got a call saying that the provider couldn't take him after all, she needed to watch her nephew and that would put her over the limit for children under 2! At least we found out before getting started.

On the bright side, I got two more good leads today, and it may end up being a blessing in disguise! The person I originally planned on using was 10 miles outside of town (We live 25 miles north of the town where we work, and she was 10 miles south, so it would have meant even more driving!). Today I'm going to go with Joe to see someone who is actually quite close to campus, and tomorrow we'll visit another one in town. I'm going to take him in the jogger, so maybe I can get in a few runs on the way to/from the daycare! He loves the jogger, so it might be a nice way for him to wind down before we head back to the office.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#5 of 41 Old 08-22-2005, 06:15 PM

subscribing, nothing much to say

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamama
As for me, the college here starts classes in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to hire a student to sit with Thomas at my office 2x week, the mornings when I'm in study groups.
Alamama, please keep us updated on how this plan works. This is my plan for this baby. My hope is to keep him with me through August of next year.
#7 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM

This is my second week working part time with 3.5 month dd. So far it's been OK but my employer has been out of the office so i haven't really had much to do. (That'd be why i have time to be here) I'm lucky that my MIL is a teacher and has been watching dd a couple of days so far, including today but sadly school starts soon and she will be unavailable. What strategies do ya'll use to keep little babies happy and quiet?
#8 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM

HI All....berklyp i just replied to you on the other thread....didn't realize you mammas were so quick in starting the new one....I'm quite slow these days though so...

The thing that got me in this post berklyp was the keeping quiet thing. It took me a long time, and a LOT of reassurance from my co-workers, that my kids didin't bother them.....Kids are LOUD...especially babies, and I finally realized that my ability to calm my baby was affected by my nervousness about him being too loud. I've got a door I can shut though, not sure if you can do that. It is quite a dance this working with babies, but as you get more into it you and your dd will find what works for you both and you will get into a nice groove

Thanks again for this whole monthly thread thing too, very helpful!!!
#9 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Getting ready questions:

(1) I just discovered a fantastic children's resale shop at the end of my street... What kind of equipment will I want for my office? A bouncy seat? I plan to get a second nursing pillow to leave here. Will I want a mini fridge? What else?

(2) I don't exactly have a boss, though there is a higherarchy system here, and I'm at the bottom. My office is between the "head of the division" (equivalent to group leader?) and a bunch of grad students (have the status of dirt). I will treat each with equal respect. The "head of the division" guy is often out of his office (working from home or in his lab) and the grad student office will be a constant cycle of students going through. What do you all suggest in terms of approaching everyone about any concerns they might have? I don't plan to ask anyone for permission when it comes to bringing this baby to work, but I do want people to feel free to express concerns about any noise (walls are ok, but I can often hear stuff in the next office) or anything else that might come up. Is my question clear as mud?
#10 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 01:02 PM

re: graduate students: how much do they work in there vs. chit chat and hold office hours? I'd come up with some sort of way they can let you know that baby is bugging them. You know a secret knock or something. I'd not say anything until january when you're back there on a regular basis, but I'd say something along the lines of if baby's bugging you, let me know and I'll take him out for a walk to settle him down.

What's your lab like? If no experiments are going on is there a way to get a comfy chair down there and go there for loud times?

Equipment: I'd get a fridge. I'd have a fridge even if I didn't have a baby. But I think you'll want it for juice, water, lunch, etc. And it is like a 50-100 dollar investment. i have one in my office that I keep drinks in, yogurt, peanut butter. which reminds me, with the influx of new students I need to clear my stuff out to make room.

I'd consider a bouncy seat and or an exersaucer. But those things are really common and you might even know someone locally who has one they are parting with/will lend you. I'd wait on buying them.

Diapers will be a concern. The last thing you want is to work in a room smelling like diapers. I'd say extra diapers so you or dh can bring in a load on the weekend, enough clean for a week and then bring the dirties home daily.

#11 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
What's your lab like? If no experiments are going on is there a way to get a comfy chair down there and go there for loud times?

I don't know any of the grad students that will be in that space. The current ones just got kicked out and I guess the new folks from engineering will be taking that space. Yeah, I might test the waters by coming in once or twice a week during my leave time before heading in with kidlet fulltime.

Quote:
Diapers will be a concern. The last thing you want is to work in a room smelling like diapers. I'd say extra diapers so you or dh can bring in a load on the weekend, enough clean for a week and then bring the dirties home daily.
That was more or less my plan. I'm planning to make a bunch of wet bags.
#12 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM

I would definately go for the mini fridge. That would be fabulous

I'm not sure about anything else. Like someone else said, you might be able to find a bouncy seat that someone would give you for free, and you won't need if for a while anyway if you aren't returning until Jan. Nothin big ever worked for me, even the floor mat Ds#2 was given. He liked it a bit but wasn't really into it. He liked walking the halls and visiting when he got upset, so I'd go make copies or if I needed to staff something with someone else I'd do it during his more antsy times.

Quote:
Yeah, I might test the waters by coming in once or twice a week during my leave time before heading in with kidlet fulltime.
Definately do this.....Show off the cutie pie and let everyone soak up his love. That way when he is next door upset for whatever reason, they will think of him as that cutie pie they met :LOL

What I do after Ds has been wailing is just check in with my next door co-workers, but jokingly like "wow he's got some pipes huh" or something silly like that, then you can judge from their reactions if it isn't really a big deal or if they are totally annoyed. Hard to say since you don't know who the grad students will be....but, hopefully they will be supportive.

If your head of the group works at home can you? Do you? Maybe that would cut out a lot of your office time....or do you have to be there set office hrs???? I try to do most of my stuff at home so that even when I'm at the office with the boys I am able to focus my attention on them and not feel overwhelmed by all of the work I should be doing instead!!
#13 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Hi everyone.
I'm Stephanie...I take 10 month old DS to work with me. I work from my boss's home office (boss is also my Aunt). So it's a relaxed atmosphere, but surprisingly, I've gone through a very stressful period of having him here with me, ever since he became mobile. He started crawling full-out about 3.5 months ago, and has been walking for three weeks.

For the last 6 weeks, my mom has started keeping him during the day, three days a week. She lives less than a mile from my office, so she can bring him to me if she needs to, and I go over there for lunch and to nurse him, giving her a little one-hour lunch break.

I have him with me at the office two days a week now, and I miss him so much when he's not here. Our new routine is working well (except that I miss him). I am able to get more done on the computer when he's at my mom's.

A few Tips:
Start using a sling often and early...I didn't start using one until he was 4 or 5 months old and he will only tolerate the hip carry.

A frame-backpack carrier has worked great for being at the computer typing.

Rotate toys between home and office every once in a while.

Well, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better. It's great to have other mom's in similar situations to come to for advice.

Stephanie
#14 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Hi all, finally found the new thread...

So I have decided that until this baby is born, I am going to give myself permission to relax about everything and just do what I need to do to get by. I did have a good day on Sunday and I know my congregation doesn't expect huge things right now and that was reassuring. Hopefully I only have four or five weeks to worry about it. Oh and PS. Leanne were you quoted in the new Child magazine about your birth at the Farm? Very cool if so.

Anyway, welcome new mamas, and I think my biggest piece of advice or whatever is that this whole bringing kid to work is a total work in progress and once you get it figured out, it changes! Kind of like parenting in general :LOL . Hats off to the mama who brings four kids...you are my hero.

Geo, I'd have a stash of toys too...I always brought in this huge bag and it would have been nice to leave some there. Like a baby mirror, some of those Sassy toys, stuff like that, just for the PNP. Also a few blankets...I was always needing one for one reason or another, and it's nice to have a nursing cover-up for the old man factor (I remember you said you work with old men too??!). Oh and the bouncy seat is so great, I already have one set up for the next kid at my office to sleep in, hopefully.

Take care and I hope y'all have good days. My dd is napping for only the 2nd time since dh has been gone and I feel like I'm at a spa. Minus the spa treatments, and my hip is killing me, but you know what I mean. :LOL
#15 of 41 Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM

I'm not currently "working", but I did take my ds to work with me from the time he was 3 mo to 1yo. It was more difficult when he became mobile, but I found that having a variety of toys on had at work made life a lot easier, as well as a portable playpen for nap time (it was more comfortable for him than the floor) and a refridgerator for lunch, etc. And it's a good idea to rotate toys regularly to keep them more interested in the toys than your file drawer. :

Mamabeth, you were absolutly right when you said "bringing (your) kid to work is a total work in progress and once you get it figured out, it changes!"

I get to rediscover it with a 20mo come January - tax season. 'Til then I'll be : and : . Hope you don't mind!
#16 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well mama's I think I've finally hit the point of no return w/ my job. I had contimplated quiting in June and my boss had asked me to wait it out this summer and I have and nothing has changed. The problem is I still need to work part time. I would love to take in a child to my home or care for only one child closer in age to mt dd and have no other household responsibilities (the main problem at my current job). I want to take control of my own destiny b/c I feel like my job is breaking my spirit but I am very scared and have no idea where to start.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#17 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 AM

sorry nannymom...that is tough. It sounds like you have a good plan though, and depending on where you live I bet there would be moms lining up for good, in-home care. I know it is scary to think about quitting though, but that really sounds like a bad situation. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
#18 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM

The nursing pilow under the sling sounds like a great idea - i'll have to give it a try.

Quote:
OH, and can I ask...what does it mean to be born at the donut depot???? Sounds rather exciting
Exactly what it sounds like. Aria's birth story
#19 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Hi - I happened upon this thread by accident but I take Nathan to work with me too. He's been going to work with me since he was about 16 months old and is now 2 years old. I work at an in home business but the person is no one I'm related to (suprisingly). I answer the phones, do some light office work and clean.

When he was younger I used a super playpen that is like 30+ feet and I just set it up in the living room with all of his toys, snacks and the TV on. Then I started feeling guilty about him watching TV at work and TV at home so I tried to cut out the TV by offering wonder markers that only work on wonder paper but that didn't work well enough. So then I felt guilty about keeping him in that large playpen 5-6 hours a day (3-5 days a week) so I started to move him out of it and although gradual that has worked. He now does a good job listening and playing while not getting into the things he's not allowed (like the dishwasher or the cat box). If I need to work in the office for awhile I'll still pull out the playpen though (again, it's 30 feet plus) for around an hour. Oh and I decided that TV at work was nice and a help so I've simply thrown out our TV at home.. so what he sees at work is all he sees.

And that's it, hopefully that wasn't too long. It's nice to see so many moms who take their kids to work.

I havent' been sure for a while if it was the best thing because my mom has pressured me to put him into daycare (for socialization) for some time now. But the other day I saw a heartbreaking (to me) situation at the daycare next to where I live. They let a child scream and cry for 10 minutes.. no adult around at all and when they finally got him she grabbed both of his hands and dragged him inside. Even if he was crying over nothing his mother wouldn't have handled it like that and it just made me hug Nathan so tight and reminded me that my mental sacrifice is worth it to have him with me.
#20 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Hats off to the mama who brings four kids...you are my hero.
Well, if that's me you're talking about, it sounds worse than it is. My 2 oldest ones are 12 yo girls and I don't know if I could do it without them. right now they just got done taking the baby for a walk where she fell asleep.

they love to "wear" her (or tie her on - as they call it)

they know that their work (taking care of kacie) is important to our business. but also that it's OK to tell me when they really don't want to be playing with her. I may still ask them to take her if I'm on the phone, I try to be very sensitive to them.

that's just the way our family works. We all do whatever needs to be done, and we try to watch out for each other so no one gets burned out.
#21 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Jenn -

My aunt told me this weekend that she thought it would be better for the baby to be in daycare instead of at the shop with me. I couldn't even come up with a reply.

Not to mention that the older kids should be in PS. apparently my family believes it's detrimental for children to be with their parents.

#22 of 41 Old 08-24-2005, 01:27 PM

OK this is totally off topic:

Oh my goodness berklyp....that is an amazing birth story!!! And I LOVE your daughter's name......All I can say is WOW!!! I thought you were referring to something at home or something else...not sure what....but didn't think it meant she was born at the donut shop!!!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

nannymom, hugs to you. I have been in that place before....and I'm pretty soon to return I think. The pep talks I keep giving myself about how fortunate I am etc are not working the same way they used to......I hope that you can find what is right for you and your family. I'm sure there are a lot of moms that have to work that don't have the blessings we have that would LOVE someone as caring as you sound to take care of their DC. Sounds like it is time for you to get the word out and set your intentions on this (or whatever else you decide will work for you) sot he universe can get going on making this all work out

Also, welcome to the new mammas

#23 of 41 Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Hi everyone. I only have time for a quick intro but I'd love to join your thread. My DD is 14 1/2 months and has been coming to work with me since... well, since she was ten days old (I went back to work in earnest at 4 weeks. Because my job is highly seasonal, I pitched in then and got some flex time over last winter. I digress.)

I work part time from home and part time from my office. DH is a grad student and when he is not working at his part time job gives me an hour here and there of uninterrupted time. I'm in the process of finding a couple moms to do a co-op with to swap out for another hour here or there but DD is not ready for more than that.

She's to the point where the playpen at work is intolerable, not that she ever really liked it. The office I share is nasty, and pretty much unbabyproofable, but I am contemplating gating off my desk area so she has a little more room. I need to find some new ways to entertain her while I am on the phone--I'm thinking of bending my electronic toys rule to have something that will buy us a few minutes now and again.

Questions: for those of you with older children, did you find the parts where it was hard to work with your children came in cycles, or did it just get progressively harder?

How have you stayed true to your parenting ideals while balancing working with your child?

TIA for any advice, looking forward to getting to know you all...
#24 of 41 Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to welocme all the new mamas and say how glad i am that this thread is picking up steam.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#25 of 41 Old 08-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Welcome new mamas!

Geofizz, as far as baby gear, I second the bouncy seat, sling and nursing pillow as indispensable. I've also got a playgym that ds likes but only for short periods of time. Every now and then he sleeps in the pak n play, and I hope he'll play in there a bit when he gets older. I've been strolling him more now that it is so hot, and that's been good for naps, too.

Nannymom, so sorry to hear that work is not panning out! I would love to know a mama like you I could hire for childcare and surely there must be someone in your area looking. Good luck as you figure out next steps...stepping out into the unknown is so hard.

Beth-glad you're feeling more relaxed! Boy those final weeks are tough. And yes, that is me quoted in the Child magazine article! We had an amazing breech birth at the Farm and one of these days I'll get around to posting the birth story. Ina May was fabulous, I'd love to have all my babies there.
#26 of 41 Old 08-26-2005, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Alamama-you must post your birth story! I would love to read about your expereince at the farm.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#27 of 41 Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi ladies, I'm new to this thread and am seeking some advice. A bit of background (sorry this is going to be long):

My mom owned a children's and maternity resale shop (called Other Mothers) from Oct. 2003- May 2005. (Business failed and we believe it was due to location, and are trying to work out the kinks and possibly reopen in a better area). I was the store manager, and at most times the only person working the store, and I brought my Dd (age 2.5 at opening, and age 4 at closing) to work with me. Ds (age 10mos at opening, age 2 at closing) stayed with my grandparents (it would have been too hard to run a store, alone, and look after 2 little ones). Dd was very independent and also very social, so she did wonderfully at the store. Ds thrived and did wonderfully with his great grandparents, they formed a very tight bond.

Dilemma- Mom calls me this morning, saying she's thinking of reopening the store, and I'm due with baby #3 end Nov/ early Dec. She would of course still rely on me to run the store, only now our situation is much different. Dd will be in preschool...I'm thinking my SIL can watch Dd (she is a SAHM of one) and also cart her to and from preschool ( which is only M, W, F). Ds can go back to my grandparents (they'd be thrilled to have him back). But what about this baby? I would absolutely bring him/her with me to work, but don't see how I could mananage a store alone with a newborn- I'll be babywearing, breastfeeding, and cloth diapering. Now, when I say running the store, I don't just mean ringing up sales at the register. I'm also the one who'd be processing our trades (customers bring in their used items for cash or store credit)...which means testing baby equipment, going through bags and bags of clothing and toys, checking for stains, missing parts, and what not, pricing (on the spot), and on top of this, handling customer service, answering the phone, and ringing up sales. That's A LOT for one person to handle, let alone with an infant to care for. I managed ok by myself before, it did get hectic at times, especially when Dd wanted my attention, but she was old enough to entertain herself most of the time.

I just don't know what to do. I REALLY want my mom to reopen the store. It was a lot of fun, and a great resource for the community (we had unbelievably low prices and great quality merchandise), we were just in the wrong location last time and it was so sad to see the store close down. I just don't see how I'd handle it all alone with a new baby. The only thing I can think of is to hire a mothers helper/ store employee to help me out, but my mom can't afford to pay both of us. I'd basically have to forfeit my pay, to pay my helper. Which is ok, I guess, because we don't really NEED the money, it would definately be nice, but we are scraping by on Dh's income. I just don't want to lose this opportunity for my mom when we both know that, given the right location this business would eventually thrive.

I'm sorry this has rambled on for this long, and if you're still reading, thank you! Any addvice/ info/ support is well needed.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#28 of 41 Old 08-27-2005, 11:13 AM

brief bc I'm on my way out the door...
what's your mom doing when you're working? can she be there for office work?

can you hire someone part time who only handles stuff like testing baby stuff? then take in stuff on appointment only (which is what happens here).

#29 of 41 Old 08-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Hi birthjunky27

Sounds like a great store you and your mom have and what a thrill to be re-opening soon......sounds like there is some bad timing going on though. Can it wait until after the baby is a few months old? You really should not be doing all that standing etc until 6 wks pp either...when was your mom thinking of re-opening??? Maybe hire a temporary helper, then once your new baby is a bit older you could manage things by yourself?? For me though, aside from the first 4-6 wks, i find 12-18 mo or so to be the more challenging age cause they are exploring so much and require so much guidance. You could get a lot done wearing your baby....just takes some planning...and don't forget how much they sleep!!
kerc had some great advice of taking items in on either a designated day or by appt only. Also, could your SIL help out on days your dd doesn't have preschool? 2 moms and 3 kids might work nicely??? Or, maybe thats just too much going on???
I think you can do it....and it sound a wonderful opportunity. Your already skilled at running the business with kids in tow, just not this age range. Talke it over with your mom too, maybe she has some ideas.

#30 of 41 Old 08-27-2005, 07:35 PM

My mom has another full time job that she'd need to keep for about a year to keep her head above water. Her job pays for her personal expenses (mortgage, bills, food, gas) and the store income pays for the store bills (and payroll) until we start doing well enough.

At first she was thinking opening in November (to get the Christmas shoppers), but now we're thinking that's not feasible seeing as how I'm due Dec. 8th.

I really think it will be much easier if she waits unti March or so. Gives me some time to do the whole newborn thing at home still, not having to worry about the store.

SIL can't help at the store unfortunatley, and it would be a lot with 3 little ones.

Our best bet will be to wait a little bit and then hire a mother's helper/ store helper.

I like the idea of doing drop offs by appt only. That could work. Or only on certain days.

Thanks for the advice!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page