Does anyone exercise? How? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-20-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is slowly weaning and the pounds that slipped off in her early months are creeping back on. I know that for that reason, and a million others, I need to get some more exercise.

Right now, I pretty much go everywhere by bike with DD on the weekends. I tried commuting with her by bike this summer, but she's decided that she only loves to bike on the weekends!? Also, I'll only be able to bike with her for another 6 weeks or so before its too cold for her on the bike (since she's just sitting there).

How do you (or DO you) fit in exercise? At New Years I vowed I'd do a workout once a week - swimming after work or going to a yoga class. But I'm finding that its hard to take that time away from home when I already have at least one night a week away from home, for work or volunteering, or other commitments. Our family does not do well with a lot of programming!

Do you get up at the crack of dawn? Do you do something with your DC (mine is 3.5 yrs)? Do you just take the stairs at every opportunity? I'm hoping to hear your success stories.
#2 of 22 Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM

After becoming very frustrated with gaining weight, on top of not *losing* weight post-pregnancy, I decided I had to fit exercise in somewhere. I started with a $10 pedometer and did the 10,000 steps a day thing for awhile. (I had to start walking on my lunch hour in order to get enough) but that alone wasn't enough exercise.

Dd and I go for walks and hikes on the weekends, and lately I've been trying to take her swimming. But she hates the pool, so it's no exercise for either of us.

So now I do exercise DVDs at home after dd has gone to sleep. It's hard getting up and doing exercise at the end of the day, but that's the only time I've been able to make it work. Bed is just too comfy in the early morning. I also found that just 2-3 DVDs weren't enough to keep me interested. I have 7 now, and that's pretty good. I've lost 13 lbs! I'm also involved in a 1000-minutes-of-exercise-per-month challenge on another board, and that gets me to do 30 minutes when otherwise I'd veg.

I'm hoping to go for long x-country skiis with her on the weekends this winter. We'll see how cold it gets.

I have a friend who joined a gym that also offered child care for $1/hr. She tells me it worked for awhile - until her child got bored with the gym's daycare. And it was $$$.
#3 of 22 Old 09-20-2005, 02:12 PM

Well I am getting exercise, its just not the same quality as before. I have a 1 mile looped route in my neighborhood and I try and walk it twice a day. I get up 20 minutes early in the morning, stretch and power walk it. The actual walking part is only about 12-15 minutes, but I figure it is better than nothing. I also try to walk it after dinner- only I always take the kids and we go pretty slowly, even when DD rides her scooter. At work I always take the stairs- and I work on the sixth floor (over two stories of parking), which means that I climb eight flights at least once a day. On the weekends we try to keep active. This has been pretty effective and I have been losing weight (but I also have been watching what I eat). I am slowly starting to feel more fit. My goal is to get up early enough to walk my loop twice and do a 20 minute yoga session- but I am still working on it. That means waking up a lot earlier, and I just found out next week my bus schedule changed and I have to wake up 15 minutes earlier to catch the bus now, so it’s baby steps.
#4 of 22 Old 09-20-2005, 04:23 PM

I'm gradually re-adding exercise to my life. We joined our local YMCA. They vary quite a bit, but ours has a great deal for a family membership--$60/month. And 2 hrs of free childcare a day while you're there. Now, the childwatch hours can be odd here, and they are only available on Saturday mornings on weekends, but it's helpful. DH and I now have a standing date to go work on the weight machines on Sat mornings. I'd like to work in at least one more "formal" exercise session a week, but that's where it is right now. I'm not quite willing to give up my Knit Night for the weight machines! :LOL
#5 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 AM

I am military, so I have PT most mornings, plus I walk everywhere because the excercise keeps my energy level up throughout the day.
#6 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM

I just recently started doing Tae Bo DVDs with my (2.5 yr old)DS. He loves them! Something about all the counting gets him excited. We usually only do the 8 minute tape, but it's better than nothing. It's a pretty good workout.

We also do little things to get in extra excercise like parking far from the grocery store, taking stairs everywhere instead of the elevator, etc. I just can't imagine finding the time to join a gym, we don't have enough time as it is.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#7 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Fiercemama -

Do I exercise? -- I'm pp on 2nd pregnancy and forgot that exercise (gym-styles) was totally NOT doable for me for the entire 1st year of ds life pp my 1st pregnancy. As a Working Mama -- I just couldn't fit it in as the sleep deprivation was MAJOR! And still can't.

Based on that, I'm throwing in the towel until 12 months pp with 2nd pregnancy (3 months left!).

I'll give myself brownie points if I can exercise 2x/week - sat and sun. Otherwise -- the exercise just takes away time with babes OR time for sleep -- both of which I'm extremely short on. Doc says "if I only prioritized it enough - I would do it" and also says "babies need a healthy mama". True -- but 1st year is intense - so if you want support to give yourself a break for a while -- I'll give it to ya!

BTW -- when I was able to incorporate exercise back in the routine pp after ds #1 -- I did it from 5 to 6 am, DS woke at 6 am so spent from 6 to 7am with ds before work, got ready for work and left by 8 am. UGhh!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#8 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
1. I get places by walking carrying baby in the sling as much as possible.

2. The 4-Minute Stretchout: Put on an energetic song and stretch and wiggle to the music. Kids can do it too!

3. The Human Rocking Chair: Sit on edge of bed and sit baby on your pubic bone. Lean back, holding baby's hands, raise your legs bent at the knees, and cross ankles behind baby's neck. Hook baby's hands around behind your thighs. Raise your pelvis. Now rock forward and back as far as you can go. Great workout for the abs! (I don't know if you can just get right into this with a baby old enough to wean--I started this when mine was about 15 pounds, and he's 25 pounds now--but any "trick" where you lift her weight without hurting yourself is a good exercise!)

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#9 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 06:34 PM

I try to walk to the train unless the weather is really lousy (one mile).

I try to get off two stops early and walk the rest of the way to the office (1/2 mile)

On weekends, or when I'm off, I put DB in the carrier and go for a walk with the dog.

I try to always take the more exercise-intensive choice---stairs rather than the elevator, park further rather than closer, walk for errands rather than drive...

It's not much, but that's what's easily do-able for me.

GL!

Janey
#10 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 06:41 PM

I recommend reading "Outsmarting the female fat cell - After pregnancy"by Debra Waterhouse. It is funny and interesting. She gives some pointers for those first 6 weeks, the second 6 weeks, then the rest of your life. Suggests things like low calorie, aeobic exercise AND weight-lifting. Blah - I think I need to reread it now

I also recommend reading "Exercise after pregnancy" (http://exerciseafterpregnancy.com/). I'm finding that the exercises in that book REALLY help getting back muscle tone that I lost during pregnancy. It's only after you have re-established proper alignment that you should even begin to consider any other serious exercise. My knees don't creak anymore when I go upstairs - I don't think I would have realized that if I hadn't started paying attention to body form.

I had thought about exercising ALONE before work, but because we cosleep and ds and I are still somewhat sync'd, so that isn't gonna happen. Instead, I have a short walk in the middle of the afternoon (to get coffee!) and then we walk as a family around the neighborhood (we're up to 1.5 miles I think when the weather is nice).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#11 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 07:24 PM

I found that I cannot exercise after work. My husband drops my son off at day care in the morning and I get up early and exercise. I also will exercise during my lunch a few times a week. That really only became possible after my son stopped breast feeding and I didn't need to pump at work anymore. There is a gym in my building which helps.

I swim on a masters team that meets at 5AM-6. I get to work by 7 and leave at 4 to pick up my son. It seems to work for us. If my husband was doing the pick-up, I might try working out after work, but I find that I like the hours by myself with Nate before my husband gets home.

It is hard to exercise with a baby, even if you aren't working. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Perhaps you could get a jog stroller and go on some evening runs with baby all bundled up. The wind chill might be better than on a bike seat.

-Melany

Married to DH in 1999, Mother to Big N (2004), Mother to Little N (2005), Expecting our third in March (2013).

#12 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 08:36 PM

i only work part-time, so i probably have more free time than most here. my typical schedule is this work 8-12, come home, grab a quick lunch while nursing ds, go for a run, and be home in time for dh to leave for work at 2.
#13 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
being single and ft working mom who has gained 18 pounds (yikes!!!) serious exercise is taking time away from my dd. so i try to do the best i can. till the weather gets worse i at least do fast walk half hour at lunch time. if we can get out of the house early i try to walk to school instead of taking the bus (just two stops) and having a 32 pound on my shoulder 20 mins walk should do something shouldnt it?!! i could perhaps factor something in on the weekends like a tape at home but just havent got down to it. i HATE exercising. rather just getting myself in a routine. when i actually do exercise regularly i love it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#14 of 22 Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I actually gained weight bf'ing early on (20+ pounds ). Since the beginning of this year, I've lost 25; I still have another 20 to go. Exercise has definitely made a huge difference for me (plus eating more fruits and veggies and less goodies).

I have to get up before everyone else to fit in my workout. I try to get up about 2 hours early so that I can have my coffee, do some writing, workout, and get my makeup on before my boys are up and ready to eat. (They usually wake around 7:15 but are content to play in their cribs ro 20-30 minutes, so I try to get up around 5:45 - not always successful! ). I lift weights 3x a week, do treadmill 3x a week (interval walking), and am hoping to work in a yoga workout on Saturdays. [We have free weights, a bench, and a treadmill, so this is all at home.] I try to walk the boys in their stroller up to the park most afternoons as well.

I was not really able to get consistent about exercising until we nightweaned and quit cosleeping (around 11 months). That has made a HUGE difference - both in the quality of my sleep (and therefore my energy) and in my ability to get up early without disturbing anyone. I have gotten particularly consistent with my weight training over the past 4-6 weeks and am really starting to see a difference, esp. in my upper arms and thighs. (tummy is another story : )
#15 of 22 Old 09-22-2005, 03:32 PM

i exercise at on my lunch break at work. ds is at daycare then so it is the easiest time. i joined 24 hr fitness with a Tu/Th/S/S membership for $20/month. so at noon on tues thurs they have step aerobics classes. it ends up being a 1.5 to 2 hr lunch because i eat when i get back but my workplace is flexible. my coworker who also had a baby is the one who started it and then my boss joined too. so 3 of us go and it is fun. i slack off sometimes but it is the most consistent exercise i've done in YEARS!!!
#16 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 AM

so glad to read success stories...one day i hope to write by own. 20 down 25 to go...wish me luck on the long road...
#17 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 AM

I'm in the office 3 days a week and try to jog on my lunch hour 2 of those days. Then I also jog Sat and Suns. Jogging at lunch doesn't always work though and then I have to do one evening, which I prefer not to do.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#18 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Hello.

I head off every evening to the YMCA once the little girl is in bed. My husband takes the time to read and relax - have so time to himself - and I get 45 mins worth of exercise. He gets up and runs in the morning. So far it is working well. It has really made a difference in how I feel each day.
#19 of 22 Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I saw my naturopath last week, actually got teary in her office. I was really discouraged, because I could only see either taking more time away from family, or losing sleep. And I am already soooo tired.

She helped me to figure out some very simple changes that seem to be working. She's very perceptive, so immediately understood that any kind of complex plan was going to pop my head off! Here it is. Eat more protein at breakfast, less carbs at lunch, take ONE supplement (for adrenals) and get up early in the AM for a walk.

I have not been sleeping well. (DD is nightweaned, and now rarely needs bfing in the morning. We cosleep, but mostly only because I fall asleep putting her to bed. She is fine sleeping and waking alone now at 3.5 yrs.) ND convinced me that taking 30 mins away from sleeping to exercise or just take time for me will lead to better overall sleep and energy.

And she's right! I feel like a new woman! I can sleep! I have energy! I have patience for DD and DH! I set my alarm for 6:15, throw on sweats, make a quick cup of green tea in my travel mug, grab my CD player, then watch the sun rise (for a few more weeks anyways). I get home just as DD is waking up. She's OK to know that I might not be in the house when she wakes up - tho I have been, in fact she's sleeping a bit longer - always good. I'm enjoying really LISTENING to music again too!

We'll have to wait and see if this actually helps my weight. But I FEEL somuch better. Hey, I think I'm my own success story!
#20 of 22 Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM

That's awesome! I'm so glad! Personally I don't exercise for weight control, it doesn't seem to affect me in that way anyway, but it's SO worth it for what it does to my mood. When I was newly postpartum, and very moody, DH would practically shove me out the door if I was hesitating about going for a walk, because he knew it would make me (and therefore everyone else) so much happier!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#21 of 22 Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 PM

I wish I had time to exercise. Before dd was born, I was at the gym almost every day.

When I was preggo, I gained 60 pounds despite taking care of myself and eating healthy (I even gained 20 pounds in the first trimester, 8-10 before I even knew I was pregnant and I tested postive the day I was expecting my period)

After dd was born, I lost 20 pounds within a week or two, and have not lost a single pound since (and she is 18 months now).

If I were to go to the gym, that would mean time away from dd and I already spend to much time away from her (because I work full time). I can't exercise before she wakes up. We cosleep and in the morning, if I'm not there, she wakes up.

I can't exercise after she goes to bed, because it's almost time for me to go to bed at that point (within an hour or so, and that is the only time DH and I get to spend together.)

I can't exercise at lunch time because I work through lunch, and as it is, I barely manage to get 40 hours of work in a week, and definitely wouldn't if I was taking time away for lunch.

So there really is no other time to execise, because I'm either working or need the time with dd.
#22 of 22 Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hang in there. I should point out that my DD is 3.5 yrs. I would not have been able to leave the house in the morning until within the last few months. Not sure how old your DC is, but wanted to let you know that it gets a bit easier as your DC gets older - well, that's been my experience anyways.

I saw an infomercial a few months back. It was for some eliptical trainer or similar kind of exercise machine. They showed a fit, firm, toned "grandmother of three" who looks better than I did at 21. You want to know what my honest to goodness first reaction to it was? "Oh, I still have time...." Meaning that I'll have more time for this when I'm older, I be superfit again later in life. Is that weird? My first thought wasn't "that is soooo unreal..."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page