Nurses, Student Nurses, Pre-req takers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1533 Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a L&D nurse in Ohio. Graduated from Kettering (someone here said they applied there).

I started school when my boys were 6 months and 3 1/2, then graduated 10 days before #3 was born. I worked FT, until #4 was born. Now I work weekend nights while dh is home with the kids. With a good support system, anything is possible.

My oldest was vaxed to age 5, #2 to age 2, and the two youngest, not at all. I am also an extended breastfeeding mom who gets plenty of support to pump at work. My youngest is also not circed and was born unassisted at home. I do get some flack at work, but most of my coworkers at least listen to my opinions.
#62 of 1533 Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 AM

I'm a RN in the PICU, I work weekend days and stay home with my 4 kiddos during the week, dh has them on the weekends. I vaxed everyone, but on a delayed schedule.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#63 of 1533 Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 AM

Just wanted to share in the nurse cult lovin- and we know it is a cult!!

I work in a small rural hospital -15beds. Mosty ER but cause it is small when it is slow you help on the floor-boring.
Any other Canadian RNs?
#64 of 1533 Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thought this tribe needed bumping .

How's the end of the semester coming nursing students ?

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#65 of 1533 Old 11-27-2005, 10:49 PM

I have been a critical care RN for 17 years. "Retired" in 2001, when ds was born. Am now a non-interventionist. Planned homebirth, non-vax, homeopathy, no pediatrician, etc.

Birthing teaches you more than nursing school. Nursing was the most rewarding and most demanding job in the world. Next to being a mama, of course.

Pat

I have a blog.
#66 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Birthing teaches you more than nursing school.

Furthermore, it seems to me that nursing school is one place where you learn SO MUCH but SO LITTLE. heh. No substitute for experience, eh?

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#67 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmin_mama

Furthermore, it seems to me that nursing school is one place where you learn SO MUCH but SO LITTLE. heh. No substitute for experience, eh?
During clinicals, and moreso your practicum, you will learn far more than all those heavy, expensive textbooks could ever teach you!!

Anyone on their final leg for nursing school? I have some NCLEX prep material (nothing fancy--mostly photocopied from a book) that might help you but are just taking up room in my limited space! PM me, and I'll send em to ya! 1st come 1st serve! (PMs only, as I probably won't be checking back here real soon!)

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#68 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 AM

Hi! What a great thread! I really want to go back to college and get a nursing degree/certification someday. I started doula training, attend some births, and had to stop that when I got put on bedrest. Then Nitara was born with her reflux issues. I have practically become an expert on her condition and related issues. I put an NG down her for 4 mos, then cared for her gtube, nursed her through some GI viral infections, croup, seizures, etc. I realize I want to help other people in the same way. Nursing seems right, b/c of the hours and the pay (hey, gotta start thinking about retirement and college funds). Doula hours are too crazy for me with 2 small kids, one of whom I can't leave with a sitter yet.

So anyway, I'm not sure how to get started. I would like to take night classes and do it at my own pace, but I have heard that you have to enroll full time in nursing school. How can I do that with small kids? How can I afford a caregiver during my classes? Are there any programs worth their salt that offer classes nights/weekends?

I have a BA degree with some science/anatomy classes under my belt. Started out working towards a BS but changed my major. Dh and I have a two year plan. He's going to work hard to increase our income so I can afford nursing school. Let's see how it goes.

Any advice? Thanks!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#69 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 PM

I'd check with the local nursing school options, assuming you are staying locally, and see what the pre-reqs for entry are to their programs. Most require a bunch of 'liberal arts', and 'sciences', which you may be able to have transferred as credits already or CLEP out of. I'd check that out now because the credits get old and so does your recall. If you can get some of the college work that you have already completed to "count" somewhere, that would make the choice of programs easier. Also, evaluate the requirements of each program in order to see what you think would most likely work with your lifestyle of AP. This is a huge hurdle to mentally, psychologically and logistically juggle.

Frankly, I am an advocate of the BSN program for young students because of the breadth of exposure to the humanities, etc. But as a mother with children and needing the income, I would recommend the ASAP route: an LPN program. Initially, LPNs make almost as much money as RNs, regardless of degree (AD or BSN). But there are more doors open long-term to MSNs and Nurse Practioners. Each additional year or two of education obviously increases the opportunities. But not necessarily more money. The nurses making the most money are in the critical care units. But that job is grueling. (And significant certainly, but....)

So, if your priority is financial income, I would go the LPN route. Plus continue taking classes (one or two a semester) until you can afford (time and money) to go back and complete a more advanced degree. (I have heard of a 1+1 program of LPN --> RN degree too. This type of option depends upon the cyclic nature of the nursing industry, whether nurses are in high demand or not.) I have an AD, and went back four years later and earned my BS in Business Administration. So, there are a lot of possiblilities. You can get advanced degrees in mental health, public health, women's health, children's health, psychology, business, hospital management, etc. and be more specialized with less total time in school. The real learning is on the job anyway. School just teaches you the basics (and a lot of important History and perspective too, imo). The tough part is the emotional angst of helping suffering people and not becoming hardened by what you see and experience. And the organizational management skills are not taught in school; you just do it out of necessity to care for so many patients with so many dire needs.

I was a new RN at 21 years old. I don't think more education would help make the nursing job easier or more significant. I do think that more years of living would help make the nursing job easier and less painful. However, coming from a wholistic pov of MDC is contrary to the very mainstream health care industry. And the longer you are outside of mainstream the harder a nursing career is, from my experience.

So, it depends upon your priorities. If you can afford to, I would take care of my children first, until they were 10+ years old and take classes along the way until they were grown and see what is important to you at that time. The happiest, most effective and most organized nurses that I have ever known were older, experienced mothers who chose to go to school at 30+/-.

I was a critical care nurse for 17 years. And in my opinion, the most important job in the world is being our son's mom. I am "retired" from nursing and do not miss the incredibly wonderful and satisfying job that I had created and loved going to every single day. But, it doesn't hold a candle to the joy of being home with our son every day. The effect on your whole family of someone else (school or work) directing your time and life can not be underestimated. It is a choice.

Pat

I have a blog.
#70 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Woah! I don't know where you got that info that LPNs make about the same as RNs!

Not around here, and not in the other areas of america that I checked into. I make on the high end of the LPN salary (I work agency--ugh) and I make $25. Average around here for a steady job with little/no experience is about $18-$23 an hour, so figure about $37-$47k per year if you do 40hrs per week. Average starting RN salary is about $58-$64k per year (not including night diff, sign on bonuses, etc) and you're only working 36hrs a week most places-and the per diem rate ranges from $35-$45 per hour.

I agree that if you need $ NOW, an LPN may be the best route to go, but keep in mind--some states (NY included), allow you to sit for the LPN boards after you take a certain number of clinical credits towards your RN program. That's how I got my LPN license.

Kelly

#71 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Oh yeah, LPNs do not make the same $$ here either-though I do almost everything an RN does on my med-surg unit. As an IV certified LPN, I can hang just about any IV drug, and push most IV meds too. I can't hang blood or the 1st bag of TPN, but I can monitor both. If you want to get started quickly, go LPN, but for more choices and $$, go RN. Do you already have a degree in something? I know that the Carondolet hospitals in Tucson were doing a fast-track BSN program for those with other degrees. (But no credit for "time served" as an LPN : ) LPN's are more likely to find jobs in nursing homes and doctors' offices, while RN's have more variety available to them. At least, that's what it looks like to me, as an LPN.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#72 of 1533 Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM

Out of curiosity, I have a call in to the Human Resources dept at our local hospital for an update on new grad starting salaries for LPNs and RNs. Per a quick look in the classifieds here in NC, LPNs and RNs are being solicited for $16-28/hr. That rate varies according to years of experience, degree of patient acuity and more for evenings, nights, weekends and charge duty. These are per diem rates, not salaried positions for the most part.

I am sure it varies according to the supply and demand in your area. We have been through times when LPNs couldn't get a job, nor new grad RNs. But every 8 years or so, there is a severe shortage and LPNs are walking in as new grads making close to the same as experienced RNs because they just need nurses so much. It is harder to find nurses than keep them. So, experienced nurses are not rewarded as much as an employee they are trying to attract. It pays to shop around for a nursing job, as the hire on bonuses are generally generous. (when nurses are in demand)

My point is that the financial difference between ~$16/hr (new LPN) and ~$19 or 20/hr (new RN) probably isn't worth waiting to complete three additional years of school before you make an income, when you need money to live. And yes, many LPNs are doing the same job as RNs (for all intents and purposes) and not getting paid the same. (I am Not intending to start a nursing degree war here. I do understand the value of additional education; but in the trenches, critical thinking skills count more than schooling, imnsho.)

Pat

I have a blog.
#73 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 AM

Yep, I'm starting my pre-reqs in the spring, with hopes of getting into the nursing program in the fall of '06.

I'd also like to be a midwife/doula and possibly a LC later.
#74 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
I agree that if you need $ NOW, an LPN may be the best route to go, but keep in mind--some states (NY included), allow you to sit for the LPN boards after you take a certain number of clinical credits towards your RN program. That's how I got my LPN license.

Kelly
Cool Kelly! I'm in NY too. How many credit hours did you need? Do you think it'd be worth it to pursue this eventhough I am actively purusing nursing school and plan to complete it? I'll be graduating May '07, but I need to work part-time during school. It'd be nice if I could work in my field rather than ........ waitressing. Again.

#75 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 09:40 AM

Ah, nevermind ... I looked it up :

http://www.op.nysed.gov/nursing.htm
Quote:
Licensed Practical Nursing
You must have completed high school or its equivalent, and either a, b, c or d below.

graduated from at least a nine-month long program in practical nursing registered by the New York State Education Department or recognized as preparatory for practice as a licensed practical nurse by the licensing authority or appropriate governmental agency in the jurisdiction where the school is located, or
completed at least a nine-month long program of study that is satisfactory to the New York State Education Department in a program conducted by the armed forces of the United States, or
completed at least three semesters (or four quarters) of an approved U.S. program in professional nursing at the associate, diploma, or baccalaureate degree level, and completed nursing courses with a clinical component in each of the three semesters, having earned 20 semester hour credits (30 quarter hour credits) in clinical nursing courses with a grade of “C” or better in both the clinical and classroom portions of each course within the 20 semester hours (30 quarter hours), or
graduated from an approved program in general professional nursing.
In addition, you must complete the following:

Every licensed practical nurse must complete approved coursework or training appropriate to the professional's practice in infection control and barrier precautions3, including engineering and work practice controls, to prevent the transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and the hepatitis b virus (HBV) in the course of professional practice. Graduates from New York State registered nursing programs after September 1, 1993 complete this coursework in their nursing program. All other applicants must submit an attestation of compliance with or exemption from the infection control coursework requirements within 90 days of their date of licensure. Form 1IC will be sent to you along with your license. Further information, including a list of providers, is available on this site. Copies may also be requested from the Forms Management Unit at opforms@mail.nysed.gov, or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 320. If you have questions about this requirement, please contact the Professional Education Program Review Unit at oppleuic@mail.nysed.gov, or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 360 or by fax at 518-473-8577.

3 New York State Education Law Article 130, Section 6505-b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#76 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 AM

So happy to find this thread... to make a long story short. In August I gave birth to my son 9 weeks early, he spent 5 weeks in the NICU. I have since been thinking about going back to school to become a nurse (I would love to be with the babies, or children). Here is my question????

Am I too old to be doing this? I turned 37 in September and with a brand new one here, I can't see myself getting through all my pre-recs and graduating until I am probably 42... this may be a silly question but i just am feeling old... (may be the long nights up with my little one doing that!)

Is there anyone who went into nursing later. as a second career? Or can give me advice?

TIA

We had such a great experience with our sons nurses. I can only hope I could be as wonderful...

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#77 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM

too old? no way mama! this is my first career and i'm a youngin (24) but i'll say this - i have quite a few people in my class who are over 50, and two over 60. yep. personally i feel the (supposedly) "non-traditional age" people are the coolest ones in the program and most of my friends in the program are over 40.

#78 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM

I have a BA but I still need more sciences and Human Growth and Development. After I have the pre-reqs under my belt, I'll sit for the NLN Nursing School Entrance Exam (required for the nursing schools in my state).

I just completed an LNA course at the end of October and received my Licensed Nurse Assistant licence. Taking the 9 week (4 days a week, 165+ hours through the Red Cross) course and doing clinical (the best part!) re-newed and re-affirmed my love for the nursing field. I plan on going into Pediatrics and specializing in special needs children (see my siggy for why I'm very passionate about helping special needs families navigate the medical field - it can be heartbreaking when the so-called professionals don't get your child at all).

This Spring I'll either be taking Human Growth and Development (It meets one night a month for 4 months. The rest of the course is distance learning.) or I will be taking Anatomy & Physiology I (which varies between morning, afternoon and night classes). No matter what, DH and I can fit HG&D into our schedule (so he can watch the kids while I'm in school). His work schedule will be changing come January (to what we don't yet know) so if I can take A&P I is up in the air. I only feel comfy taking one or the other, not both. And I'm feeling nervous about A&P - like, will I be able to handle the coursework and studying with three children with varying special needs? But, I'm also thrilled and excited at the same time.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#79 of 1533 Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 PM

swimmin--definately sit for the boards (LPN) as soon as you can! It's good experience with the NCLEX (which is the test you're taking, be it NCLEX-PN or NCLEX-RN) and how that progrma works. If/when you pass, it's good experience to work as a nurse for a while before graduating. I really feel that it gives you an edge over the other students who haven't so much as done filing in a doctors office....both as far as taking the NCLEX-RN, feeling more comfortable dealing with patients and meds, plus it looks great on a resume.

Kelly

#80 of 1533 Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 AM

Well in case you coudn't guess by my screen name, I'm a nurse too, LOL. I graduated 5 years ago. I started out working ICU but just didn't like it. When we moved 4 years ago, I switched to PCU and I love it!

Right now I am doing a traveling assignment since we were moving to a new area anyways. It's fun. You kinda have to hit the ground running since you only get 1 day of orientation. The $ is great though, especially with $900 a month for housing and a $3000 bonus at completion of 3 months! I work 12 hr nights and it works out good for our family.

I'd love to try to get into a burn unit one day. The hospital I worked at before had one and I floated there whenever I could. There is a hospital near me that has one but it is a military hospital and I'm not sure if they train you or how to get my foot in the door.

I also want to get my BSN the future.
#81 of 1533 Old 11-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
During clinicals, and moreso your practicum, you will learn far more than all those heavy, expensive textbooks could ever teach you!!

Anyone on their final leg for nursing school? I have some NCLEX prep material (nothing fancy--mostly photocopied from a book) that might help you but are just taking up room in my limited space! PM me, and I'll send em to ya! 1st come 1st serve! (PMs only, as I probably won't be checking back here real soon!)

Kelly
You will learn more at WORK your first year, than you learn the whole time you are in school!! I worked as a nurse for 11 years.
#82 of 1533 Old 11-30-2005, 08:51 PM

thanks CMM ... though i'm not sure they'll let me sit for the nclex-pn test as i'm only first semester now, and after completing my third semester, well - i'll be 15 weeks away from an rn. i was thinking though of trying to get an aide position starting in between semesters and while in school for relavent experience - plus we just need the money. not sure i'd get hired though ... i don't have good references and my only experience in healthcare is with nursing school.

#83 of 1533 Old 11-30-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
You will learn more at WORK your first year, than you learn the whole time you are in school!! I worked as a nurse for 11 years.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#84 of 1533 Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom
You will learn more at WORK your first year, than you learn the whole time you are in school!!
You mean you don't write out 6 page care plans on your patients everyday? High risk for infection R/T foley catheter AEB elevated WBC's with your expected outcomes?? Oh the hours wasted doing all those! Do they still make students do those? And you don't go the night before and see what your assignment will be and check what meds your patients are on when you get home.
#85 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather.rn
You mean you don't write out 6 page care plans on your patients everyday? High risk for infection R/T foley catheter AEB elevated WBC's with your expected outcomes?? Oh the hours wasted doing all those! Do they still make students do those? And you don't go the night before and see what your assignment will be and check what meds your patients are on when you get home.
Ah, yes. I remember those.

Pat

I have a blog.
#86 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM

: Oh yes, they still make us do careplans. Our faculty makes us do these ridiculous "mind map" careplans. It's like we're in kindergarten. Each functional pattern (we learned Gordon's) is in it's own box ... and assessment data are in red, connections in orange, dxn in yellow, goal statement in black, planning in green ... : hate those freakin things. Apparently next year we "get to" graduate to linear careplans. I totally understand the point of having a thinking activity, and thoroughly understanding connections between the functional patterns ... I know this isn't just busy work ... but the standards (particularly how everything has to be "just so" w/ regard to colors etc) piss me off. I have to do one this weekend on oxygenation...

I had clinical today which was great. Got to see a ton of interesting stuff and there's this wonderful nurse who took me under her wing and let me do a bunch of stuff. (Yeah, even AFTER I spilled an entire cup of ten different meds on the floor . Also got to see a vacuum whatcha callit wound dressing. Nifty.

#87 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM

I think I used one care plan the whole time The 1st one I did I used general problems and just used them again and again and again, LOL
#88 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM

I have to use a different dxn for each one, though I did manage to recycle some assessment boxes from last time recently since it was the same client. They are *VERY* specific though and will totally nail us for doing anything less. I haven't looked at the options for a nursing dxn w/ oxygenation yet ... so I don't have much to say about that. My last one was "Risk for social isolation r/t sensory impairments secondary to glaucoma" ... that was a fun one because I really got to thinking holistically about the client and how her depression and glaucoma and hearing loss affected the rest of her health.

#89 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM

I felt SO lost my first year out of school. I felt like I knew NOTHING. I just don't think we got enough clinical experience at all in school, certainly not enough to really get a feel for what working 1 full shift in a hospital is like, and being responsible for your own patients. I am seriously thankful I did not get sued for something I did that first year. It was scary!
#90 of 1533 Old 12-01-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom
I felt SO lost my first year out of school. I felt like I knew NOTHING. I just don't think we got enough clinical experience at all in school, certainly not enough to really get a feel for what working 1 full shift in a hospital is like, and being responsible for your own patients. I am seriously thankful I did not get sued for something I did that first year. It was scary!
Yes, I totally believe the easiest transition is to have had real nursing assistant experience. The hands on experience is worth more than any schooling, imo. I knew several nursing assistants who were more organized and more knowledgable than some RNs.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page