Nurses, Student Nurses, Pre-req takers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we've had threads in different places on the board. I thought it would be nice to have a lil thread of our own.
#2 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 PM

I'm a nurse. An RN. I've been working in the NICU for the last 6 1/2 years and love it
#3 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 03:37 PM

I am a nurse. I work week-end nights in SICU. That way I can be a stay at home mom all week. Thanks for making a thread!

Becky, married to DH, Vern , for 11 years. Mom to DS, Z (1/01), DD, A (5/02), Hershey (11 yo Shih-tzu) and May 2010 TTC #4 on my homepage!
#4 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 03:51 PM

My usual schedule is weekend days. DH is a SAHD and with my shedule I am practically a SAHM! We spend loads of time together. Being a nurse has such benefits!

Righ now I just work 4 hour shifts, almost every day. I have a two month old so I don't want to hurt our nursing relationship. Especially since I struggle with supply after I had a breast reduction.
#5 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Any non-vaxing nurse mamas here?

I'm just taking my pre-reqs and trying to decide whether to start the ADN program in the fall of '06 when my baby will only be 7 months old (I'd take night classes) OR start the BSN program in the fall of '07 when the baby will be nearly two and can start in daycare during the day. So far it looks like the BSN has more plusses, but I'm so tempted. I dunno what to do, maybe you ladies can give me some insight into what you think would work better. Regardless, I'll still need to do the BSN program because my 'final goal' is to be an FNP.

That's the fabulous thing about nursing though, soooo many options.
#6 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Hi!! I'm a second year BScN student and loving every minute of it (okay, maybe not the endless papers).

This is a great idea for a tribe.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#7 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 05:46 PM

I am subbing. Not sure I belong. I was full time in pre-req, accepted to a program, got pregnant, dropped out, baby died. Now I have no idea of what to do!!!!!!!! I am back in a stupid easy peasy A class to regain priority.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy
I am subbing. Not sure I belong. I was full time in pre-req, accepted to a program, got pregnant, dropped out, baby died. Now I have no idea of what to do!!!!!!!! I am back in a stupid easy peasy A class to regain priority.
So sorry you went through that. Sure you belong here. There seem to be dramatic differences in competitiveness etc. in different parts of the US when it comes to nursing programs. It's pretty awful here in SE Texas at the BSN level and getting harder at the ADN level, but I've heard of much worse.
#9 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Hi, I'm an RN mama, although I haven't worked since becoming a mother in 2002. As much as I love being a SAHM, I also miss my job. I wish there were two of me. Before my 'retirement' I had been working on a semi-long term care floor in a major hospital. I enjoyed it very much.

I am also a very very selective vaxing mama. Baby (16 months hasn't had any) and ds1 (3.5 yrs) has had few.

Hope I find the time to participate in this thread. I'll be on vacation from Sept 28th-Oct13th, so I'll catch up when I get back!

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#10 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 08:51 PM

I'm subbing, too.

I'm currently in a Nurse Assistant course, and then will begin my pre-reqs for a nursing degree in the Spring. I already have a BA, but I need the sciences.

I'm also struggling with deciding to go for a 2 year degree or 4 year degree. Both have their plusses and minuses, and both are sooo competetive here and require potential nursing student to take and do very well on the NLN Nursing School entrance exam. I DO know that I want to specialize in special needs pediatrics, though.

So happy to see this thread!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#11 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 PM

I am an RN...was registered in January and ony worked one shift due to some pg issues (DD was born in April). Am going to go back one day/week soon.
#12 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 09:22 PM

I'm an LVN, CPR instructor and a waiting on my boards results for IBCLC.
I plan on becoming an RN when there is more time, my babes are still pretty young.
My new job will be training me as a childbirth educator and a doula.
I'm hoping one day to do the Lactation consultant and doula and childbirth educator private practice or freelance.
I'm hoping that once I'm on board with this new job, I'll be able to decrease my hours a bit. It's a cool job though working with underserved moms and babies in the community.
#13 of 1533 Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 PM

I'm an RN in NYC - specialize in oncology. I work part time - 1-2 shifts per week, which is perfect. 3-4 was too much with my 1-year-old at home. Plus, my unit is crazy, and the job is really emotionally draining, as you might imagine. So, I'm making a switch this week and starting in the outpatient chemo treatment center. I'm hoping it will be less stressful and less sad. Very cool idea for a thread! I'm always looking to get to know other nurses.

caffix.gif  Mom to DS (8/31/04) and DD (11/30/07), EDD 12/15/11!!!
#14 of 1533 Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm an RN, haven't worked since Dec 2002 though. I'm very happy to be a SAHM now. I was on ortho when I quit, I only worked a few months as an RN, I found out the day I graduated from nursing school that I was pg with dd. I am very slowly working on hours to sit for the IBCLC some day.We do not vax dd, I use only homopathics or herbs, no meds at all, and we don't have or use a pedi. :LOL

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#15 of 1533 Old 09-26-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

If I go for the BSN program right away, which is most likely, I will have about 8 months between the time I finish my pre-reqs, file my application and GOD-WILLING, get accepted to a program. I'm thinking of taking some courses to be a breastfeeding peer counselor for WIC and that will, hopefully, be the first step toward becoming an IBCLC. I figure if I start then and do a little through school and work with nursing mamas once I graduate, I may be able to take the test and become one very soon after I graduate. Having all that experience under my belt can't hurt with my attempts to work on an L&D or postpartum unit either.
#16 of 1533 Old 09-26-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pycelan
I am a nurse. I work week-end nights in SICU. That way I can be a stay at home mom all week. Thanks for making a thread!
I work the same schedule!! It really allows for me to be home with my babe. I am also non-vax, homeopathic remedies when possible. I work at an asst living for Alzheimers pts.. (Not geripsych though no aggressive behaviors)
My daughter loves them, they are her grandparents here since her gparents are 3000 miles away.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#17 of 1533 Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=mahdokht] I'm thinking of taking some courses to be a breastfeeding peer counselor for WIC and that will, hopefully, be the first step toward becoming an IBCLC. QUOTE]

mahdokht - i worked with WIC as part of my job as a public health nurse and was a wic peer counselor in my "former" life. it did not require any prereqs in VA other than being a nursing or formerly nursing mother on or previously on WIC. maybe you qualify now? i'd check on that!

hi all! i am a RN with an MSN in public health. i worked cardiac during grad school for less than a year (yuck) and then started public health . i did PH nursing for 2 years before ds was born. then, i became a sahm.
i've thought about part-timing/prning at a nearby hospital - maybe L&D. but i'm kinda leary since my ideas about L&D don't really match up with most hospitals'/doctors' ideas about L&D. i'd likely get frustrated. but i REALLY miss working with mamas and babies (i did high risk mama/baby case management primarily thru home visits).
ironically, i was the immunization focus nurse at our county health department, but i don't vax my ds.
are any fulltime SAHM moms worried about returning to nursing - even if after only a short break? i really worry about my skills since i went to a low-clinical skills job (health dept vs. hospital). i.e. i haven't started an iv since 2002! aaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!! any ideas for staying current while being a fulltime sahm?
nice to meet everyone!
#18 of 1533 Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 PM

Jacksonsmama...I am really nervous about starting work, especially as I was only registered in January!
#19 of 1533 Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM

I am a L&D RN and I work one 8 hour shift a week. I also work as a sexual assault forensic examiner one weekend a month. I do like my jobs but won't do any more until my babe is older - she's 7 months now. I decided not to vax at 6 months and now i think of myself as delaying.
#20 of 1533 Old 09-27-2005, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Loomweaver that's cool. Jackson's mama, there are a few required courses here, but they are fascinating and I look forward to taking them. Right now I don't have time to be a WIC peer counselor. I'm barely keeping my head above water taking care of home and family and going to school. I'm keeping that on hold until I'm finished with this leg of my educational journey. Your work sounds right up my ally. Like I said, so many options in nursing.
#21 of 1533 Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#22 of 1533 Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks for starting this thread!

I have my BSN, and am working in a busy ER two days a week. This is the first time in 10 years I have worked during the day, during the week! For the last 10 yrs I have worked nights and weekends, so i can be home during the week, and the kids were with their dad when I was at work or sleeping. Nursing can really be flexible and workable.

I like the ER, but i loved working in the ICU better. Cardiovascular Intensive Care specifically. Open heart patienst rock my world. I loved it so much, that I couldnt sleep the night before a shift because I would be so excited.

And when I recert'd in ACLS last week, I saw a helicopter landing on the helipad, and my heart rate increased to 120

Ahhhh...the blood pumping adrenalin rush.
#23 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 AM

Hey-lo!

I'm an LPN right now (waiting to get my ATT to take my frikken NCLEX already!!!!--to get my RN that is).

I got my BSN from Adelphi University.

Right now I work per diem for a (bum bum buuuuuuum) agency--and no, I'm not horrible. :LOL
I work mostly at an assisted living and ::shudder:: nursing homes.

I have a kinda-sorta guaranteed job in L&D once I pass said frikken boards....I anticipate much frustration!

My son was partially vaxed (before I was informed, or shall I say--when I was ill-informed), and my future children will not be vaxed.

Thanks for making the thread!

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#24 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 AM

Synchronicity at play again tonight. I saw these boards for the first time tonight. I am so glad a tribe was started for this.

I am a student. I have finished my prereqs at a school in Washington and unfortunately had to move to Ohio for health reasons. Now, I have to try and get into a program here and it is very competitive. I have been feeling a lot better health wise and am now considering moving back to WA. I got a letter in the mail that said I would have been accepted into the program for the winter quarter if I had been there. Now, I am kicking myself for not trying to stay a little longer and just tough it out.

Well, now I have applied for 4 programs in the area. If I don't get into a single one of them I don't know what I will do. It is crazy how much crap one has to endure in order to follow a dream.

Nice to see a tribe like this.

Peace,
Shelbi
#25 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 AM

: RN here, got some questions. I'll be baaack.
#26 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM

I just received a letter from the school that I WAS attending in Washington state that I could've gotten into school in December but I missed the mandatory meeting (since I am in OHIO-which they don't know). So, now I think that I may have to move back to Washington to attend school.

I haven't been getting much luck or great reception at the schools around here. The ones that I have been applying are all competition based and my gpa is only like a 3.0 which is way below the average of those getting into those kinds of programs.

I moved in June due to my failing health and now we may have to move back due to availability of school. Weird how things work out that way huh?

Peace,
Shelbi

P.S. Anyone on this thread have dreads or work with any nurses with dreads? I was just wondering if they have a rough time getting work due to their hairstyle choice.
#27 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 09:56 PM

#28 of 1533 Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 PM

hippimom, what part of Ohio are you in?

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#29 of 1533 Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Currently, I am living in north Dayton but have been applying to almost all of the programs in the immediate area- Edison, Rhodes (in Lima), Wright State, Kettering Medical Center, etc.

If I don't get into one of those programs then I am going to move back to Washington and start school there in the spring. I think anyways :LOL

Peace,
Shelbi
#30 of 1533 Old 10-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Hi all! I'm an LPN, have been for 5 1/2 yrs. I've worked rehab, hospice, nursing home, case management, and wound care, and now I'm in a med/surg unit at a hospital. I love that I can work full time by only doing 3 12-hour shifts.

I wish I'd stayed in school when I finished my LPN. This wasn't supposed to be a permanent job; I didn't think I'd like it so much and stay with it. I'd have so many more options as an RN. One day I'll get there.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page