Spring 2006 Student Mamas Thread!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you had such a rotten day Marilyn! Hope there wasn't much damage to your car.

I am feeling really frustrated right now. I have time for classes (barely) and no extra time at all to study. Caring for two little ones from 7am to 5pm, getting dinner ready, then classes from 7-10pm, leaves little quality time for studying. I'm so tired I can't concentrate on the material by the end of the day.

I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake to think I could do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
I give up. I'm unsubscribing.

Why?

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#63 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks guys I am feeling much better today and I hope it's ok to vent here about stuff once in a while.

Naiad don't give up!! It ISN'T easy but you CAN do it. Is this your first semester back full time? And though I love night classes after a long with with kids or work or whatever it can be hard to go to school and sit there for hours when, if your like me, you sometimes want to just stay home and chill out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiad
I'm so sorry you had such a rotten day Marilyn! Hope there wasn't much damage to your car.

I am feeling really frustrated right now. I have time for classes (barely) and no extra time at all to study. Caring for two little ones from 7am to 5pm, getting dinner ready, then classes from 7-10pm, leaves little quality time for studying. I'm so tired I can't concentrate on the material by the end of the day.

I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake to think I could do this.

#64 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 PM

I dont know why Jennifer is upset either....if it's because no one responded to her last post I personally read and but didn't respond to anyones posts yesterday (I was having wayy to of a bad day) or the day before, etc. I usually come on here and respond to everyones posts at the same time every other day or do. Hopefully she's just having a bad day, I sure can understand that.

Debra don't be so hard on yourself with your grade--an 86 is great! It doesn't mean you can't get an A in the class but I do know what you mean about feeling like a common idiot (though you are NOT!!!)....I sometimes feel that I am not good enough for nursing or medicine (PA school is my goal---I'm just not sure I am good enough for med school...I worry about my kids a lot too). Some days are great and some days I have a lot of doubt but don't you think that is normal?

Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I'm not quite sure why Jennifer's upset and unsubbing.

If I, or anyone else, has done something, please say.

If you're just having a bad day, I sure understand!!!

I got an 86 on my Botany quiz and I'm so upset. It ruined my straight A's.

I feel like a common idiot. I understood the material but I didn't answer a couple of questions the way she wanted the question answered.

And this Prof. is the sweetest nicest lady so I can't blame the nasty Prof because she's the antithesis of nasty.

DB

#65 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Just checking in... five finals down, 2 to go... Pelvic at 7:45 am and Thoracolumbar at 11:45 am, both tomorrow. So far: A, B, A, A. I can't get an A in the two tomorrow, but I think that I got an A in the last one I took today.
Well I dont care if your unsubbing I'm still gonna respond to your post!

Your grades look excellent first of all. Now are you saying you have finals for each of those....seperate classes for pelvic and thoracolumbar, etc? Just trying to understand how it works in your school.

I am no where close to finals...lol

#66 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
My daughter is a Second Year medical student.

Some of the pnemonics are downright hillarious!!

Like (I'm not sure I'll get it right.) for the purpose of the cranial nerves (Motor, Sensory or Both) Some Say Marry Money But My Big Brother Says Big Boobs Matter Most

Now, off to check out the link.

db
Debra how old are your kids? Are they all out of the house? What does your daughter think of medical school? Do you plan to apply? Sorry so many questions. Going to med school has been my dream since I was a little kid and I KNOW I would be a good physician. But I worry about being away from my kids for so long since they are so little (almost 8 yrs old and 4 yrs old), so many Dr's that I talk to say it isn't worth it anymore with all the problems and if they had to do it all over again they simply wouldn't. I have an OBGYN friend who is *trying* to quit medicine but with so much debt she can't, she has been very dissapointed--though she is a great Dr they are literally timed 20 mins per patient...if they dont see all their patients in a day they get docked pay, if they can cram in more they get more pay---I had no idea this was common and just how things are now days! So I wonder if PA school would be a better option.

Just curious what your plans and thoughts are about it all? I hope you dont mind me asking?

#67 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Naiad]Hi!

This is my first semester after several years as a SAHM. QUOTE]

Naiad, I just went back and found this. My first semester back after staying home with my kids was really an adjustment for not just me but our whole family (knowing that mommy had to study). I think you will find this too, but I can now study with ANY noise and it doesn't bother me at all (it wasn't always like that though).

Sometimes I will take the kids to the McDs playland so they can play and I can get *some* studying in. Or I'll take them to the park when it's warmer so they can play and I can study a bit. I also use tv as a babysitter at times too honestly. I'm not sure how old your kids are but maybe that can give you some ideas to get more study time?

Next semester will be easier because you will go into it knowing what to expect and also know if you can handle the class load you have or need to just take 2 classes instead of 4 for example....I did that this semester myself.

#68 of 183 Old 02-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

I have eight children. Two are married, one is single but living with her sister, five are still at home. I have one in college, one in med school, one working but going to school in the fall (Marine just got back from Iraq and honorably discharged,) two in high school, one in middle school, and two in elementary school.

Presently, I have one at rugby, one lifting weights, and another whining because I must take her to work and then take another to karate. I must *must* MUST study my Botany. I'm not sure when the Rugby kid needs a ride home and, mercifully, Lifter has his own car.

DB

Editing to say, yes, PA school looks like a good thing but I'm not sure. DD's DH says I'm too rebellous to work under a physician's supervision.
#69 of 183 Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sooooo, how's everyone's semester going? I took my 2nd of 3 tests for this semester. I received an 88% Wooooohoooooo.

I only have ONE more test in nursing school. Then I'me DONE!!!! Well, I have the big state board test. But I'm almost done with nursing school. I'm so, so, so happy.

So, how is everyone else doing?
#70 of 183 Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa
Sooooo, how's everyone's semester going? I took my 2nd of 3 tests for this semester. I received an 88% Wooooohoooooo.

I only have ONE more test in nursing school. Then I'me DONE!!!! Well, I have the big state board test. But I'm almost done with nursing school. I'm so, so, so happy.

So, how is everyone else doing?
Oh wow, I bet you are so exited to be almost done with school! I can't wait to graduate. Good luck with the NCLEX...when do you take that?

I have to say nursing school tests are not easy---or maybe they are just different. I took my very first one about 2 weeks ago and made an 81 which I was thrilled with but at the same time dissapointed because an 81 in my program is still a C.

I have one more dosage calculations test and I'll be done with that....that hasn't been bad at all, I've enjoyed it so far actually.

We are finally starting to do some "fun" stuff in lab. I have learned how to take a blood pressure (that was actually a bit harder then I expected!), catheters, nasogastric tubes, wounds, etc.

Ok, enough about me...how is everyone else doing? I'm looking forward to spring break, I think we are going to drive down to Dallas for the weekend and thinking about getting tatoos

#71 of 183 Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 AM

I just wanted to check in on this thread. I'm a part time student this semester. I'm taking American Government (a level 100 course just as a filler cause I registered waaaaay late. The instructor is totally non responsive. I think he just posted everything he was supposed to before the semester and won't check back again until the end. We've had some really heated and totally inappropriate discussions, complete with name calling and he hasn't stepped in at all and he doesn't answer my emails ) and Lies, Deception and Heroification (based on the book Lies My Teacher Told Me - very interesting, and I'm in love with the instructor! I live in a place that seems to be very mainstream and most people view my whole homeschooling thing as 'a phase'. We're actually unschoolers and I don't believe in compulsory education...and he is totally into that! A college professor who thinks that this is great )

I'm technically a second year student cause I have gone mostly part time for three years.

Both my classes are online, and I have to admit, I miss the snow days you get in live classes! Spring break is right around the corner (next week) but I'm not going to notice it. I have a super load of work to do over vacation, and if I get a chance I'm going to start on my reading list for an honors class I'm taking in the fall.

I'm kinda depressed cause the other day I took a test in my government course and got the lowest grade I've ever gotten. The lowest before this was an 89 which is an A where I am. I got a 78 on this test! I don't know what letter grade that is, I'm guessing a C? It was all multiple choice (yuck!) and he was very careful in how he worded it so there were some questions where it was hard to understand just what he wanted. Also, I was taking it at 10:30 at night, so I'm sure that didn't help me any.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll do better with the next one.
#72 of 183 Old 02-24-2006, 06:07 PM

Hi all. Sorry for my last post... I was having a horrible day and just melted down - blame it entirely on stress... The class that I was most worried about had me freaking out (totally out of character for me) because if I had failed it, I would be back an entire trimester. Not a horrible horrible thing, but I hit the federal max on student loans 10th trimester (the last) and would not have had the funds to finish my degree if I had to take another trimester. I walked out of the Pelvic final thinking that I had totally bombed it, and managed to pull out a C -

I am now sane again (at least as close as I ever get ). Finals finished on Wednesday afternoon, and my interim Physiotherapy/active care class started this morning.

So... Final Results:::
Radiology III (6 semester hours) : A
Philosophy IV (2 semester hours): B
Intro to Clinic (2semester hours): A
NMS II (5 semester hours): A
ThoracoLumbar (5 semester hours): B
Pelvic (5 semester hours): C
OB/Peds (5 semester hours): A
Pettibon (4 semester hours): pass
Physiotherapy/passive care (4sh) pass
GPA for trimester : 3.43

Next trimester, I am enrolled in 40 semester hours (4 sh during the interim, 4 sh that are 4 hours during the trimester, and 32 of "normal" load). I am so counting the days until June when I finally get a 3 week break. Next tri is the last course work intensive one... 8th-10th tri are mostly patient care with some minor business classes and case correlations thrown in...

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#73 of 183 Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Jennifer, glad to see ya back And I think we can all understand stressful days, we are NOT ourselves on days like that!

Sounds like your doing great!!!!

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are (or would have been). I got an email from my school saying I only have 24 hours left of financial aid (Pell, loans, etc) which will get me through one more semester....I either have to appeal to get more aid to finish my BSN or sign a contract with one of the local hospitals which will pay up to $4,000 a year if I work a year in return for them. So I am hoping something will work out.

How does a trimester work....we do semesters which is 16 weeks and full time is 12-20something credit hours. Just wondering how it compares. I know starting next semester I will be in school/clinicals about 30 hours a week (though it's only 14 credit hours on paper).

Anyways, glad to see you back and I hope your having a better day. and isn't it a great feeling thinking you flunked something and find out you did pass (even by the skin of your teeth)?

#74 of 183 Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynmama
How does a trimester work....we do semesters which is 16 weeks and full time is 12-20something credit hours. Just wondering how it compares.
Our trimesters are 15 weeks long, then a week of finals. Comparing course loads... When I was working on my BSEnd MSE, the max allowable load was 18 hours - the hours convert roughly the same. The program is actually a five year degree crammed into 3 1/3 years. Our trimesters run March - June (Spring), July - October (summer), and November - February (winter). We get about 10 days between summer-winter and winter-spring trimesters for break and about 3 weeks between spring-summer. The academic advising department strongly encourages students to take reduced loads, but at just over $7000/trimester in tuition most of us just put noses to the grindstone and push through.

As to clinical requirements:
During 6th Tri (just finished) we have to do 20 observations in the student clinic (student externs treating other students and their families) and at least an hour at the outreach free clinic offered to the community.

In 7th trimester we take Clinic entrance exams (practicals)the ensure basic proficiencies - takes about 6 weeks to take all of the exams, then we can start adjusting. We need 50 patient visits (under the supervision of a licensed staff doctor) to clear out of the student clinic and into the main clinic. We also need to observe 20 patient visits in the main clinic before the beginning of 8th Trimester.

In 8th-10th trimesters, we treat outpatients - we are essentially their chiropractors (under the supervision of a licensed staff doctor). 200 patient visits are required to meet CCE (accreditation board for chiro schools) requirements for graduation. Most people are able to meet the requirements before the end of 9th trimester and can go on preceptorship (working for free for a field doc to get more experience) during 10th trimester.

Essentially, we are expected to spend all of our time when we aren't in class in the clinics when they are open.

Quote:
seperate classes for pelvic and thoracolumbar, etc
Each area of the spine had specific adjusting techniques, so they group them... Cervical, Thoracolumbar, and Pelvic... each with its own class and information... We do XRay analysis (with line drawings), information on pain patterns, bedside manner, techniques for adjusting patients who are in acute and chronic pain, how to use the different adjusting tables (we learn on the Hylo table, the pelvic bench, knee-chest table, and the toggle table), etc.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#75 of 183 Old 02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
EVC

Just stumbled across this thread--and am very glad I did

I am both a new student and a new mom (student for 2 months, mom for 4) so it is really inspiring for me to see others who are finding ways to make this work. I am having a pretty tough time balancing everything Well, I'm glad I found you ladies here

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#76 of 183 Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM

Hi Everyone I am ready to go back to lurking since I am way behind on my class. Marilyn, it's nice that the local hospital's can help out, hope they are good employers!
Wow Jennifer, that is an intense schedule.
#77 of 183 Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM

So, is the stress/pressure getting to anyone else?

My house looks like a tornado went through it. I haven't cooked a meal in days. There is flour on the floor in my kitchen and i'm not quite sure how it got there. I have 4 big papers due on Thursday, have barely started them and there is no end of the semester in sight.

Don't you love midterms?

Ok, off to do more writing...
#78 of 183 Old 03-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

I have Spring Break next week but before that can happen, I have a lab test tomorrow, a paper on Wednesday, a paper and power point presentation on Friday and a big Anatomy test on Friday.

I'm burned out, the house is crap, and I have a mixed dinner in the crockpot.

Spring Break falls perfectly as the halfway mark

So far, I have all A's and I want to keep things that way because I want to apply into the pre med program.

db
#79 of 183 Old 03-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Good luck to everyone on midterms!

Debra - I know you can do it.... I understand the stress of a messy house; I'm trying to get mine clean today.

I start back tomorrow - 5 days is not enough of a break, but at least I'll get 3 weeks in June/July.

#80 of 183 Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM

I'm surprised I never noticed this thread. I was part of the student mamas thread in the fall and must have missed out after the break. I'm currently student teaching and will graduate 5/11 (ds2s 2nd bday). I'm 1/2 way through the semester and its going well. My cooperating teacher and supervisor are great. The class is a tough one, but it's better to get a tough group now, rather than when I'm on my own.

I hope to be able to check in regularly. I'm completely thrilled I managed to pull of a 4.0 and will graduate magna cum laude!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#81 of 183 Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

#82 of 183 Old 03-09-2006, 03:19 AM

Shelbean, way to go! Wow, a 4.0 is impressive, even more so since you did it with kids. Good work. You were one of the people who wrote encouraging posts when I was thinking about coming back to school, so thank you.

I'm a BSW student and will do my field placement next semester. I just got done filling out an application and I'm not satisfied with how it looks but oh well. I think it will be ok. I wonder what it's like to not be in a classroom after being in school for so freakin' long (not counting those semesters off at home with the kiddos...).

I just got done with 3 big papers and that application, so I'm feeling accomplished. For once this week!
#83 of 183 Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

I was really depressed yesterday. I got an 87 in my Botany lab exam and this has dragged my grade down to a high B. I had a 91 on the lecture exam.

The prof. walked by and I begged her for extra credit or something to pull my grade up and she said she doesn't give extra credit. That I shouldn't worry because the C-fern project should pull up my grade.

I really wanted straight A's this semester. Ug.

And I have an Anatomy test tomorrow and a paper and presentation due.

I'm turning into one of those freaked out nerds. Oh, yes, my 87 was the highest test grade. One other student got an 87 and, even the smart girl in that class got, like, an 85. I cannot see how the best grade could be a B.

DB
#84 of 183 Old 03-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Well, I haven't gotten all my grades yet. Just my hybrid Psych and that was an A+

I did get to register yesterday and I can't wait for the next quarter. I have Intro to American Literature, Archaeology and Photography!

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#85 of 183 Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 PM

mamaley- I'm glad you made it back. It's hard work, but worth it, isn't it?

DB- I understand about wanting the straight A's. I only managed b/c education classes aren't really that hard. There's no way I'd keep the grades you have if I were taking those classes.

I'm SO glad spring break is next week. My brain is COMPLETELY fried. Ahhh, life as a teacher, I guess.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#86 of 183 Old 03-10-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
So, is the stress/pressure getting to anyone else?

My house looks like a tornado went through it. I haven't cooked a meal in days. There is flour on the floor in my kitchen and i'm not quite sure how it got there. I have 4 big papers due on Thursday, have barely started them and there is no end of the semester in sight.

Don't you love midterms?

Ok, off to do more writing...
I don't even know what a clean house looks like anymore! LOL I hate it when people come over because of the "stuff" that is all over the place

I never cook, we eat out (with money we dont have) wayyyyy tooooo muchhhhh.

#87 of 183 Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranamama
Hi Everyone I am ready to go back to lurking since I am way behind on my class. Marilyn, it's nice that the local hospital's can help out, hope they are good employers!
Wow Jennifer, that is an intense schedule.
They seem like good employers with most of the RN's I have talked to. One is a magnet hospital which is cool.

#88 of 183 Old 03-10-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:

So far, I have all A's and I want to keep things that way because I want to apply into the pre med program.

db
Way to go with the A's!! I bet you would have no problem getting into the pre-med program.

#89 of 183 Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
5 days is not enough of a break, but at least I'll get 3 weeks in June/July.
No it's not enough and neither is only 3 weeks for you! It just goes by so fast. I can't wait for the summer, I don't plan to take ANYTHING for once in my life! But I say all that and I end up bored after awhile and start missing the chaos of school....lol At least it keeps me busy right?

#90 of 183 Old 03-10-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I was really depressed yesterday. I got an 87 in my Botany lab exam and this has dragged my grade down to a high B. I had a 91 on the lecture exam.

The prof. walked by and I begged her for extra credit or something to pull my grade up and she said she doesn't give extra credit. That I shouldn't worry because the C-fern project should pull up my grade.

I really wanted straight A's this semester. Ug.

And I have an Anatomy test tomorrow and a paper and presentation due.

I'm turning into one of those freaked out nerds. Oh, yes, my 87 was the highest test grade. One other student got an 87 and, even the smart girl in that class got, like, an 85. I cannot see how the best grade could be a B.

DB
I understand Debra. When I took Cell Biology and then BioChem the highest grade was a B all semester, only one girl made a single A the whole semester and ended up with a C for her final grade. Some of those classes are just TOUGH and they use them to weed people out.

It's ok to be one of those freaked out nerds, you have to be to get to where you want to be and you CAN do it. It's ok to be depressed for a day, but then get yourself back into gear. Don't underestimate your abilities and who are you and where you want to be--that goes for everyone here!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page