Spring 2006 Student Mamas Thread!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 183 Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone up to?! Busy I'm guessing in that no one has been posting lately including me....lol

I have been reallllly busy as well. This week we had our Nursing Fundamentals lab finals which included our skills lad checkoff which made me so nervous I wanted to puke! I had to do a trach tube suctioning and was nervous as all living get out but I did fine in the end. Nothing like nerves to get your ass a movin' right? LOL

We had our dosage calculation test today we MUST pass with a 90% or more in order to not get kicked out of the program. I feel I did well, even a 100%, but we wont find out for sure till next week. Really it's not hard, just the pressure that you have to do well or your screwed that gets to you....

I have my finals for Intro to Nursing, Fundamentals (lecture portion), and Development next week and then I be done for the summer!! Whooo hooo baby! I'm so ready to lay by the pool and workout at the gym and lose some of this fat I got hanging on to me....lol I want to read some good books and get a tan and drink some Starbucks Mocha Frapp's. Life is good.

Ok, off to see who get kickec off American Idol, put my kids to bed, and stay up late watching Memories of a Geisha (or however it's all spelled), I read the books years ago and fell in love with it. A good book for you all to read this summer that I really loved is Wicked: The LIfe and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#122 of 183 Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

This is she who quipped, "Viva La B,"

She who will not be named is banned from here for a month, but she tanked a Botany lab test, but can still pull off an A if she gets an A on the final. She got an 89 on the A and P lab (boo-hoo, but it averages to an A) and may well yet get straight A's and apply into the Pre-Med program.

Say a prayer for she who shall not be named (but don't rat her out.)
#123 of 183 Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama
Welcome! I homeschool my kids as well. My husband is finishing is (boring) Buisness Admin Legal Studies degree and want to go to law school.

When is your baby due???
Hi. My baby is due June 23rd. So I'll have some quality beach time after finals and before she arrives. Yay!

I cringe when people talk about going to law school... But actually, the people in my class who did the best on exams were the Bus.Ad. people. Something about their undergrad exams being a similar format to law school exams...? Anyway, law school was really hard, and at times made me feel like an incompetent idiot. I went through this phase in law school of being mad at my parents because I thought they had lied to me about being smart to trick me into being successful. I thought the big lie was finally catching up with me. All because I got a C in a class. It sounds insane, but that's how law school is.

If you or your husband have any questions about law school, feel free to ask me. I know I sound cynical, but most people who went to law school will be jokingly cynical about the whole experience.
#124 of 183 Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellowAndUgly

She who will not be named is banned from here for a month, but she tanked a Botany lab test, but can still pull off an A if she gets an A on the final. She got an 89 on the A and P lab (boo-hoo, but it averages to an A) and may well yet get straight A's and apply into the Pre-Med program.

You'll get that A girl!! Ughhh Botany I hated....lol

#125 of 183 Old 04-27-2006, 01:17 PM

I'm almost done with my midterm (h e double hockey sticks) week(s). I still have three exams tomorrow. I will complete most of the outside requirements for my Rad IV class tonight, with the midterm on Monday.

Saturday morning, I'm doing what we call a "piggyback" Xray examination - I'm not the primary extern, but am in the room for all 7 of the films, help with patient placement and setting up the machine, etc.. I have to write a rad report (abnormalities and pathologies must be noted), then go to the rad reading with the staff radiologist. After I do my piggyback, I can start taking films on my patients as needed. I have to have 30 Xray credits to graduate... I get three on Saturday.

Between now and Monday, I have to fill out "Gray sheets" to transfer patients to my care from their current extern. Once sheets are filled out, I have to present to the staff doc before the patient comes in for their next visit. I have 11 to do, and the clinic isn't open today or Sunday. Tomorrow I am in class or taking exams all day.... Saturday the clinic is only open from 9-noon... guess that it is going to be a busy morning. We can't take files home to work on either.

To "she who will not be named" good luck on the Botany exam.

Marilynmama - good luck on exams/practicals. enjoy your break.

mamaley - hope your paper turned out ok and you didn't spend too much time editing it.

I'm off to work on my Marketing plan that is due tomorrow. I've totally procrastinated on getting it done.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#126 of 183 Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM

I've only posted a few times, but I'm now DONE with student teaching!! Last day was today. The class made me an absolutely wonderful scrapbook with all their pictures and a letter they wrote to me. Very sweet. I have a day of seminar next week where I turn in my final paperwork and graduate the week after. My parents and one sister are coming in fromout of town.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#127 of 183 Old 04-30-2006, 01:23 PM

I only had one mid-term out of my 3 classes. It was in Archaeology and it was in-class and hand written. I have no idea how I did. It was pretty broad, but I still could have kept writing after an hour and a half. We couldn't because there was a class after us. I talked to our Professor as I was leaving and she says if she teaches it in longer blocks people still stay till the very end. There is just so much information in the class. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying the History part of it so much, I think I'm going to change my major from English to History. And, I really think that I'm going to go into Library Science. I've been wavering on it for my Master's, but I am realizing that I love Information and organizing it and sharing it....

My dh has said I should be a librarian for as long as I can remember. We took the Strong's Inventory at school and that was my top match. It wasn't just a match either. I "scored" really high for both women and men

Hope everyone is doing well this term!

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#128 of 183 Old 04-30-2006, 10:57 PM

I am glad to see other moms surviving this week of heck.
I have 10 days to write one 15 page research paper on human rights, one 7 pg paper on juries, one group presentation for speech, and two essays for my english class both 5 pgs.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

I just want to cuddle with my kids and take a nap. But instead I will work for 3 hours and try to finish something. anything.

Good luck to us all.
Louise

PS when do you all study? How much are you gone during the day? I just can't seem to get it all in. I think I need more time during the day, when my eyelids will stay open.
#129 of 183 Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june'smom

PS when do you all study? How much are you gone during the day? I just can't seem to get it all in. I think I need more time during the day, when my eyelids will stay open.
At this point I can literally study, and study well, through absolutly anything. My kids can be jumping around and screaming and it just doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe I have a special talent but I think it's just a defense mechanism for us student moms....lol

#130 of 183 Old 05-01-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Generally speaking, I am in class M-F from 7:30am - 4pm. I have an hour for lunch (study as I eat), and I'm in the lab for workstudy from 4-5 M-Th. This week I start taking care of my patients - so have to fit that in too. I try to spend as much time as I can with my kids on the weekends. Dh has morning time with the kids at least 3 mornings a week. They are in daycare from 8:30-5:30 M-F. If I get out of class early, they get picked up early. I study after the kids are in bed, or after dh gets home from work so I can head out to study (I don't study productively when at home - too many distractions ) I steal 10-15 minutes at random intervals throughout the day when possible.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#131 of 183 Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM

To answer the pp, I study in the evenings, after the kids go to bed, weekends, and then I have one day a week on many weeks when dh takes care of dd and i study, like today.

Guess what? It's finals time and I have an ear infection. I feel so yucky, I haven't had one of these since I was a kid.
#132 of 183 Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM

My dh is a student, too. This quarter we are switching days. I have classes from 10am till about 8pm M and W. Friday I have one class from 10-11am. I leave at least by 9:30. It takes 15 min to a 30 min to get there and park and stuff. I study before classes and on breaks. Sometimes, I stay late at school, too. I have a break at 11:30 till 1pm, 3 till 5. My last class usually gets out around 7, but is suppose to go till 8. If I have something to work on, I sometimes stay at the library till 9pm.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#133 of 183 Old 05-02-2006, 01:14 PM

If you have the need to understand reader-response criticism.

That is what I am working on right now. I chose to criticize "Gryphon".

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#134 of 183 Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 PM

Hi all! I'm am totally riding on a mental and emotional high right now. I adjusted my first patient this morning in the clinic!!! It went really well. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooo nervous. My patient brought her dad to the appointment and the staff doc was right there watching me the entire time (talk about some pressure ) I had three segments to adjust. Two went on the first thrust; the third went on the third try. I am just floating.

I do my first radiology reading tomorrow morning. I'm crossing my fingers that the Radiologist doesn't rip us to shreds. I think that we have everything covered.

#135 of 183 Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 PM

Yay Dmitrizmom! :

I've been following your progress...I've been mostly lurking here during my LAST semester of grad school. We know each other IRL from Mercy BF group and TAing Statics while I pg with DS.

Dr. Jen, fellow perpetual student
#136 of 183 Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
My patient brought her dad to the appointment and the staff doc was right there watching me the entire time (talk about some pressure ) I had three segments to adjust. Two went on the first thrust; the third went on the third try. I am just floating.
That's great!!! I'm so happy for you.
#137 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
Hi all! I'm am totally riding on a mental and emotional high right now. I adjusted my first patient this morning in the clinic!!! It went really well. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooo nervous. My patient brought her dad to the appointment and the staff doc was right there watching me the entire time (talk about some pressure ) I had three segments to adjust. Two went on the first thrust; the third went on the third try. I am just floating.

I do my first radiology reading tomorrow morning. I'm crossing my fingers that the Radiologist doesn't rip us to shreds. I think that we have everything covered.
WOW!!! Your first patient that is so cool!!! I bet you were nervous, I was a nervous ninny just doing my skill on a fake person in lab last week.....LOL

How exciting!

#138 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachBums
If you have the need to understand reader-response criticism.

That is what I am working on right now. I chose to criticize "Gryphon".
I can't write, let alone criticize anything...lol very cool!

#139 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
I've only posted a few times, but I'm now DONE with student teaching!! Last day was today. The class made me an absolutely wonderful scrapbook with all their pictures and a letter they wrote to me. Very sweet. I have a day of seminar next week where I turn in my final paperwork and graduate the week after. My parents and one sister are coming in fromout of town.
Congrats on finishing!! Kinda bitter sweet? So what grade/subject/etc will you be teaching? How exciting.

#140 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:

So how are things going? Your done now right? When will you apply and find out about the Pre-Med program, I just KNOW you will get in!!

#141 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 AM

Had my last final today thank you jesus I am ready for the summer break! Who else is done this week and what are your summer plans?

I am going to sleep in tomorrow (well hopefully my kids wont wake me up...lol). Man I just love sleep and sleeping in....haha.

Anyone seen any good movies lately? I'm loading up my netflix que.

#142 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Congratulations, everyone who has finished her finals.

Congratulations on finishing student teaching

I am also feeling sad my semester has come to an end, I really liked the mix of classes this time and I liked the work load. With Chemistry on my schedule this fall, my work load will surely increase (has anyone noticed I am not friends with Chem?!)

Well, Marilyn, I am a mere Sophomore and my applications to medical school must wait a couple of years (and one major mountain called the MCATS.)

I talked to the pre-med supervisor yesterday and she was encouraging that I would get into the pre-med program. I am going to wait on my grades to make my final decision.

It's nice to see everyone.

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
#143 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Well, Marilyn, I am a mere Sophomore and my applications to medical school must wait a couple of years (and one major mountain called the MCATS.)

I talked to the pre-med supervisor yesterday and she was encouraging that I would get into the pre-med program. I am going to wait on my grades to make my final decision.

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Oh yes I meant the pre-med program!

#144 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 08:10 PM

I did my last bit of schooling today. I had an interview yesterday. I graduate next Thursday!!!!! Happy dance for me!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#145 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 08:42 PM

Go Shelbean! You've worked so hard, and have been very encouraging to me, esp. when i was considering going back to school. Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

I'm in December!

Where's the mortar board smilie?
#146 of 183 Old 05-05-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama
Had my last final today thank you jesus I am ready for the summer break! Who else is done this week and what are your summer plans?

I am going to sleep in tomorrow (well hopefully my kids wont wake me up...lol). Man I just love sleep and sleeping in....haha.

Anyone seen any good movies lately? I'm loading up my netflix que.
I'm almost done. One more exam, a 10 page essay that i haven't started on yet, due thursday. Then i am finally done. Sigh!

Summer plans=lots of netflix movies as well, and lots of swimming with the kids (including lessons). Doesn't sound too exciting, huh? But I can't wait!
#147 of 183 Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa
Greetings!!!
So, who's going to graduate this semester?
ME! Officially done with what was left of my B.S and now have been accepted to the graduate program I wanted . Masters in Public Health.
#148 of 183 Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 PM

I need encouraging thoughts here ladies!

I have a 7 pg paper due Monday which is almost done adn a 5pg essay due in english that I haven't started and get this

A 15 pg research paper, only half of the research is done nothing written yet, due Tuesday!

How in the heck am I going to finish all of this.
ANd what in the world have I been doing this whole time not starting earlier. I hate having ADD so much.

Ok, I am off to write my little butt off until I fall asleep at my computer.

Louise
#149 of 183 Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 AM

I finished my last final exam on Thursday night. Summer classes begin Wednesday May 31st. Weird start day, huh? Wednesday? Whatever. I lost 2 years thanks to my job moving me from Pittsburgh to Philly, but hopefully I'll get 3 classes out of the way this summer! Yeah!

Hang in there everyone - we can do it! I sure do have problems concentrating, not thinking about putting my little Munchkin to bed. At least I should be done long before he can remember it!

Rach
#150 of 183 Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 AM

Happy, Happy (as my wee one would say) to all of you who are graduating or finishing your semester! I just finished up the spring semester work on my masters and...I'm taking the summer off. To be honest, I think I'll miss it some.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page