Spring 2006 Student Mamas Thread!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings!!!

I wanted to start a new, fresh thread, for the new semester and new year!!!

So, who's going to graduate this semester?

I'm so thrilled that I'm finally going to be done with school. I graduate nursing school on April 27th!!!! Less than 4 months away!!!! OMG, I'm so excited.

I am, however, a little overwhelmed with the thought of the next 10 weeks. That's how long we have to go until we start precepting in the hosp full-time. OMG, I picked up the syllabus yesterday!!! For 10 weeks it's over an inch thick!!!! The first section that we are tested on is over 6 chapters. I think I'll be reading so much that my eyes will turn to dust and fall out!!!

So, what class/es are you taking this semester? What's your major? When are you graduating?
#2 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM

My major is Nursing (BSN) and I finally start taking some real nursing classes on monday! I am taking:
-Fundamentals of Nursing + lab
-Intro to Nursing
-Individual/Family Development Across the LIfespan

We have to be able to pass those classes in order to enter the nursing program (which starts in the fall), plus they want you to see if nursing is really what you want to do. Anyways, I will also be waiting this semester to see if I'm accpeted into the nursing program.

I am ready to get back to school, I have been bored....lol

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#3 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM

This is my second quarter back. I'm a middle childhood education major. I may switch but I think this is my final decision. This quarter I'm taking
  • English 111
  • US history (1920-present)
  • Psychology
  • Search for Utopia
I'm taking my search for utopia class with dh which is kind of fun. It's nice to be alone for a few hours a week and to be outside of our home environment together.

Last quarter I made the dean's list with a 4.0 gpa. I'm putting so much pressure on myself to repeat that this quarter. I'm literally overwhelmed by the pressure. No one else would care about my grades but I do. I was a lazy, gifted student in high school and didn't try very hard. I need to work on balancing home and school. I just need to relax my expectations of myself.
#4 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 01:32 PM

Suzie~ Wow 6 chapters?! Good luck with that It's great to hear from someone who is so close to graduation. You must be so excited to move on to the next chapter of your life.

Marilyn~ I was considering nursing for a major but I have a really sarcastic attitude that is lost on most people. So my pyschiatrist actually talked me out of it. I'm crossing my fingers that you'll be accepted to the nursing program. I've heard it's competitive.
#5 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 02:07 PM

This is our first quarter (both my dh and I are going to school). It's already feeling a little tight on time around here. I think once we get used to studying though we should get better. We did have our 5 year old start K and he loves it. I can't believe how cool his teacher is. She is so gentle and loving and personable. They do tons of hands on stuff and have centers they set up. It's amazing!

I was really hoping to get my youngest into the childcare on campus, but no luck. Maybe next quarter. My oldest is a 3rd grader and homeschooled. He spent last night in bed with us reading my husband's English 101 handbook.

We have no majors yet =) My husband is doing so well though. He says it's like someone turned his brain on.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#6 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Meghan, IKWYM about being hard on yourself as far as grades go. I'm bummed that my gpa has fallen to a 3.32. Not good, but if I want to keep my sanity it's just going to have to be that way.
#7 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM

I've never posted in a student mom board before, but I thought I need all the support I can get. I'm finishing my first year at University of Phoenix getting my Bachelor's in Health Administration. I do school online and you would think it would be easier, but I think its a little more stressful. For one if your computer is broken and you can't get online than you fail. If I was going to a ground school and my car broke down I could probably call my professor and get my assignments, but not this way. I start a math class at the end of January. Most of my classes up to now have been communication and adult learning. I'm pregnant with #3 and will have to get a full-time job soon because I'm divorcing. I'm really stressed out and just hope that I can stick it out!
#8 of 183 Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Hi all! I'm going to jump in here. I WOH f/t, but am taking classes as for nurse-midwifery school (and boy am I counting the minutes until June 2007). I'm taking distance learning classes through Athabasca University (it's Canadian, but U.S. students like me are welcome). I highly recommend them for distance learning.

Anyway, right now I'm taking statistics. Then on to Anatomy & Physiology and then Microbiology. For micro, I'll have to go to Calgary for four days to do the lab portion of my class! But it's not practical to take the courses elsewhere--Athabasca lets me start a course any month, and go @ my own pace. I've got my rollerskates on to get all of this done!

Anyone else working & going to school?
#9 of 183 Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyHD
Hi all! I'm going to jump in here. I WOH f/t, but am taking classes as for nurse-midwifery school (and boy am I counting the minutes until June 2007). I'm taking distance learning classes through Athabasca University (it's Canadian, but U.S. students like me are welcome). I highly recommend them for distance learning.

Anyway, right now I'm taking statistics. Then on to Anatomy & Physiology and then Microbiology. For micro, I'll have to go to Calgary for four days to do the lab portion of my class! But it's not practical to take the courses elsewhere--Athabasca lets me start a course any month, and go @ my own pace. I've got my rollerskates on to get all of this done!

Anyone else working & going to school?
Can you post the website for this school?
#10 of 183 Old 01-07-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnJsMaMa
So, what class/es are you taking this semester? What's your major? When are you graduating?
I'm working on my DC (Doctor of Chiropractic), will graduate in June 2007.
The program is 10 trimesters long, taking ~30 semester hours per trimester. I'm currently half way thru 6th trimester. I will start seeing patients in April!

My current courses are:
  • Intro to Clinic (2sh)
  • Philosophy IV (2sh)
  • Radiology III (6sh)
  • Neuro-Musculo-Skeletal Systems II (5sh)
  • Thoracolumbar Adjusting Techniques (5sh)
  • Pelvic Adjusting Techniques (5sh)
  • Obstetrics & Pediatrics (5sh)
  • Pettibon Spinal Correction Technique (4sh)

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#11 of 183 Old 01-08-2006, 12:30 AM

Here you go Suzie!

http://www.athabascau.ca/
#12 of 183 Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted @ MDC in a very long time. I'm a student mama majoring in Sociology and Africology (although I'll have to transfer to another school for the double major). It's my 4th semester back since I took a break to have my son. I'm going to be working a lot less this semester so that I can study more and spend more time with DJ.

My schedule:

Intro to Women's Studies
Race and Ethnic Relations
Research Methods I
Survey of US History I
Themes in Literature and Culture: Jazz and Blues

I also work at Starbucks (please don't flame me!) and will probably only be working 10-15 hrs a week. I'm really looking forward to an easier schedule this semester.
#13 of 183 Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 AM

I'm in Wa and I love Starbucks!!!
#14 of 183 Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 AM

Mmmm love Starbucks!
Right now I am lovin' the Pumpkin Spice Latte

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#15 of 183 Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 AM

lol

Sometimes I feel like a sellout for working for the evil coffee empire, but for the most part, I have a lot of fun there.

Try the Cinnamon Dolce Latte. It tastes like a combo of a cinnamon roll and french toast.
#16 of 183 Old 01-09-2006, 11:49 AM

This is my second semester back at school, it starts today. I'm taking 3 classes, intro to world religions, general anthropology and um, um...I forget what the third one is . I haven't picked a major yet. DH is going back to school as well and will be going full time, this should be interesting.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#17 of 183 Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM

daricsmama

I'm another Washington Starbucks lover. It's a great job!

How did it go taking the time off? I plan on going to school till at least my Masters and I can't imagine not having at least one more little boy. (I don't think any girls are coming my way.)

We are doing pretty good with the new adjustment. What a week! We haven't done much of anything this year. My husband is having a hard time studying. He is going to try and break some stuff down in more manageable steps this week. He worked on a paper last night till midnight. He had the assignment all week and it has 5 steps. He has one every, so he should be doing it all week and then have the weekend to finish up. He did very well on it. He wrote his first paper about a hiking trip with my Daddy. How sweet is that?

My now 6 year old. (His birthday was Thursday.) Had an awesome first week at school. His classroom is awesome. We had a really fun family party last night and the ice cream cone cupcakes were a hit!

I'm off to check on my online class and read some for school this morning.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#18 of 183 Old 01-10-2006, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hello!

This is my first semester back at school! I've been a SAHM for 9 1/2 years. I have a BA and most of my MA in English, and I worked as a writer and an editor before I had kids. I'm ready for something totally different, so I'm taking pre-nursing classes and hope to enter an RN program next Jan. This spring I have Anatomy and Physiology II, Ethics, and Growth and Development. Growth and Development is an on line course.

My husband travels a lot with his job so I've never been able to make a plan to be somewhere other than with my kids. Last summer we moved and my neighbor and I have gotten to be really good friends. I watch her DD after school and help her with her school work (my friend is a single mom and works full time) and she has volunteered to watch my kids when I have class or need to study and my DH is out of town. I'm very excited about getting my own life!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#19 of 183 Old 01-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Hello ladies,

I kind of dropped off the roster for the old thread in all the psycho-stress of last semester, and am happy to join up again!

I am a Canadian direct-entry midwifery student, it's a 4-5 year program. I graduate in just over 3 years! (Apr 2009). This semester I am taking:

Human Anatomy and Physiology (with lab)
Women's Studies
Global Women's Health Issues
Social Welfare
Midwifery

Last semester I had this, but on top of it I also had a Life Sciences with a lab (which is a blend of microbiology and biochemistry)! So this semester should be a slight bit easier.

I have arranged my classes so that I have crazy busy condensed days, but I have minimal time without my dd. Luckily, she absolutely adores and thrives in her Montessori Preschool.

Wishing you all success this new year!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#20 of 183 Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
How did it go taking the time off? I plan on going to school till at least my Masters and I can't imagine not having at least one more little boy. (I don't think any girls are coming my way.)
I think if you only take off a semester or two, it's much easier to get back into the swing of things. It really depends on your family's dynamics, how long you bf, daycare options, etc. I'm lucky in that I moved closer to be with my family and my mom is/was a SAHM so she was more than happy to watch DJ.

I have a friend that took only 4 classes the first year back (2 classes per semester) so that she could transition easier.

HTH
#21 of 183 Old 01-12-2006, 05:49 AM

Wow, it's so encouraging to see so many student moms!
My major is English, and I'm taking Art History 1, Business 1, and an Early Childhood Education course this semester. I plan to graduate in 2008.
#22 of 183 Old 01-14-2006, 05:39 PM

How many have planned a baby while going to school full time?

I would like to have another baby. I have been thinking about this for a while, and if I time it right... as if a baby is ever really planned, If I can get pregnant in Aug sept Oct and have the baby around May June July I will have untill Sept with the baby full time before going back to class.

Daycare isn't a problem. My husband watches our 2 children while I'm in school and goes to work when I get home. Our situation is pretty good. I'm just not sure about having a newborn while trying to keep up with 12 or more credits at a time.

Am I insane. I think I might be
#23 of 183 Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 PM

Both of mine were planned while I was a full time student. I would like a third, but I have some significant weight loss goals to reach before we tread that path again.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#24 of 183 Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Hi!

Quote:
This is my first semester after several years as a SAHM. I'm majoring in Political Studies, thinking about a double major in Anthropology, and I'll be a 2009 grad depending on how much I can get done during the summer sessions.
Classes this semester are: Political Philosophy 222, Intro to Literature, PoliSci 202, Intro to Anthro, and Intro to Drama.

I've been lucky enough to schedule things so DH is available to watch the kiddos, but finding study time is soooo tough. My first midterm is coming up in 3 weeks though, so I'd better figure it out soon!

I'm so glad to have this thread- I'm going to need lots of moral support.
#25 of 183 Old 01-20-2006, 05:51 PM

Hi student mamas! I started this semester this week. I'm taking 12 hours twice a week--3 are core classes for my major and one is an elective (I needed one more upper-div). I dropped my elective and now am taking this really cool history course--I had forgotten how much i love taking history classes! Anyway, i think it will be a great semester.

Anyway, just wanted to check in!
#26 of 183 Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 AM

Hey!

Starbucks lover here, too. But I'll have to imagine for now that it's Washington SB, instead of Louisiana.

Me:

Soc major/Anth minor
Spring '06:
Carribean Peoples
Food & Culture
World Geography II
Intro to Fiction
(may add one more) all online due to the fact that we are crossing our fingers for the move back to WA.

I just found out I need 5 books for my one ANTH class. WTH? With mail service still screwed up, I've got to get on it quickly.

Good studying vibes to you all!
#27 of 183 Old 01-21-2006, 03:47 PM

'k ladies... I'm officially nuts. Dh and I are going to an open call for Biggest Loser Season 3 tomorrow. We both need to lose some weight - him only about 30, me about 110. Wish us luck. Don't know which way though... If I get on the show, I will miss a trimester of school and push graduation back 5 months, on the flip side if I don't get on the show I will lose the weight just slower. Kinda hoping for a special edition of the show pitting us as a couple against another couple KWIM??

#28 of 183 Old 01-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Good luck, Jennifer!

I may be a little insane myself. I just signed up for my fifth class online, Major American Writers.
#29 of 183 Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Hi All, I am a ful time student with 4 kids. My major right now is Liberal Arts at a community college and after next year, I will tranfer to a 4 year college for my Bachelors degree with a major in English and a major in secondary education. Syudy time is hard to accomplish with the duties of being a mom, but so far I guess I am doing something right with my GPA coming back at a 3.9 which totally shocked me cuz I was convinced that I was failing my pshcology class. That was my easy semester tho....it just gets harder from here...
I start Tues with English comp 2, Music Appreciation, Literature of the Western World and two online courses in Algebra and History of western Civilization. It seems that they expect more of you in the distance education than they do in the classroom. Good Luck to all of you!!!!!
#30 of 183 Old 01-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Good luck, Jennifer. I think they only take you if you have 100 or more lbs to lose. Let us know how it goes!

My name is Valerie and I just stumbled across this thread. I just started back to school last quarter after a looooong hiatus. I'm studying nursing and right now only taking classes in the evening when DH is home from work. This quarter I'm only taking one class since it's 4 hours, two nights a week. It's a Nurse's Aide class, required for the nursing program. After this and Chem next quarter I'll be able to take the exam for the program and then the real wait begins. It could be 4-8 quarters before my name comes up on the list for the program. In the meantime I'll be taking a couple of classes a quarter till I can take the "only for nurses" classes. After this quarter I hope to apply at our local Children's for a Patient Care position. They'll send me to the school I already attend for the PCA class. Then I'll be able to start IV's and other "nursey" things and work with kids.

So, it'll be a few years before I finally get my RN. Someday after I start making some money, I'll go for the Bachelor's and eventually the Master's and further training to become a CNM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page