Looking for other professor mamas - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just subbing to this thread. Always more to find on MDC, huh?

I'm a tenured (thank GOD!) associate professor / librarian. I have a 13 month old. DH works part time afternoons and evenings. No child care yet.

I'm having a tough time making things work for us. I'll be interested to catch up with this thread.

Just got my first book contract! Hurrah!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ok ladies, I need advice:

I submitted a paper to Nature-Geoscience, and it got turned away because I cited a paper in the sentence where I stated my primary conclusion. I learned my lesson, and turned the paper around to GRL (non-geology moms: that's the major "letters" journal for our field).

I got the reviews back today. One review is great -- it pretty much says that the paper is great with a few things to make clearer, with a few technical comments.

I evidently pissed off the other reviewer. The written review is two pages long, and comes with 15 citations. : There are three major points, and a bazillion nit-picky points. The reviewer is outright wrong on one point (says it's already well-known, but what's out there is incomplete and wrong), but the other two points are kinda a matter of how you view the Earth and internal processes. I think I could respond to these comments, but the paper is rejected, and it will have to go back in under a new submission number (and submission date) and go back through re-review.

(1) There's not an obvious next-journal-down to go to for this paper. I could really expand it to send it to EPSL, but that's a lot of work, and honestly, this paper doesn't need expanding.

(2) Is there a way in the resubmission process to say that reviewer 1 is not an appropriate reviewer for the next time around? It's an anonymous review, so I don't know who it is (though I can make an educated guess based on the lengthy citation list). I'm assured to have the same AE, since he seems to handle all of the papers in my field.

What would you do with this? I've actually gotten a ton done this year, but I'm feeling frantic that I don't so much as have an accepted paper for 2007.

Am I the only one that routinely pisses off reviewers? I seem to get this every second thing I submit for review.

Geofizz;
I'm in the social siences: Experimentalpsychology. Here's what I do/my take on this.

My papers typically have 3 reviwers, and often one sucky/stupid reviewer who had a bad day or is just a bad person.
My approach: I address all the major points. 1/2 of the game is demonstrating that you considered everyone's remarks and addressed them to the point possible. Some points you will disagree with, you can state in your next submission letter your counterarguments.

Now adays journals have to say "reject" unless it's a real close accept. So I no longer believe in the word "reject"; i believe in the phrase "not this round".

There is an advantage to having it as a new submission: more likely jerky face reviewer won't be reviewing it again.

If this journal has high impact and your not in a desperate time crunch to get a paper out, take the long haul, and resubmit. They willl officially call it a new submission, but the process is likely to be faster and the next round of reviewers will see how you have addressed limitations on the last round.

I had a jerky face reviewer recently, who only wrote one paragraph and basically said the paper sucked. Without any back up arguments!

GL!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Wow..sorry to hear you are going through that with the reviewer. I got one back last year and was in a similar position..got a revise and resubmit along with some very jerky reviews. One serious one, and two that were terrible...and an odd thing..for three seperate reviewers, two of them were nearly identical (including the exact same incorrect grammar in a few places). I ended up basically doing what others recommended...and revised the paper, adressing the comments that made sense, leaving out a flat out insult or two, and ended up with a good paper. Then...it got declined for a completely different reason! Aarg...so now I have a good paper that needs a home.

Anyway...some amazing developments here...and I could use some quick advice.

Some background...the school where I currently teach as a TT assistant prof, does not have an engineering department. When I was hired, they hinted at plans for developing one, and my classes are basically engineering taught under the umbrella of a new technology program. This is my third semester, and at the beginning of the semester, word came that the state had approved the creation of a collgee of engineering. However, there was a debate about which branches of engineering to include. My branch (petroleum) was one of the options, but there was at least one person in the adminstration who was not very supportive. So, they hired a couple of consultants to help them determine which branches of engineering to include. I knew that if the consultants came back with a recommendation that didn't include petroleum engineering, I wouldn't have much of a future at the school. Knowing how long the academic job search takes (and considering that there really is nothing for DH at my current school), we started a search.
So, fast forward a few weeks. The consultants ended up recommending petroleum engineering, and I was tasked with designing the preliminary degree. Plus, I found out I was expecting again. So, it seemed like the best plan was to stay here and see this program off the ground. I worked on program design and planned on staying, but then I got some feedback from some of the applicaitons. (I already posted about a phone interview with a school in the UAE...that went well, and I have an invite for an in-person interview...but we're not sure if we're ready for that kind of move with a newborn)

So now, one of the top programs in my field has invited me for an interview (and they are interested in DH as well). I got a call last Friday and have an interview on Monday! It's not too far from where we are, so moving wouldn't be too big a hassle (the new one is planning to make an arrival mid-May), and the faculty page reads like a whos who list!. I'm pretty nervous about this interview, but I think I have a good presentation to give. I think that if I do get an offer, I've got to take it, but I sure dread telling my current school I'll be leaving (right now, outside of a few close friends...no one at the school knows I've been doing any searching).

Also...I'm about 4 months along, and in my suits, I don't think it's too obvious that I'm pregnant. Should I bring this up at some point? I'm not sure how I should (although two people there already know...so it might be a moot point) because my schedule for Mon. is to talk to all sorts of people individually for 20 minutes or so, and give a 45 minute seminar (mainly on my major research...with the end devoted to other research interests and teaching)

Anyway, that's my big news and my long rambling post! Back to putting the finishing touches on the presentation and then it's time to pack!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Just poking my head in to ask a question ... I've read my way through most of this thread to see what my life might be like if I go this route. Just wondering if any of you have had a child while adjuncting--or know someone who has. I've read plenty about how tenure track jobs deal with maternity leave and so forth, but is leave even a possibility with an adjunct position? What happens? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I've adjuncted a bit--I think it really depends on the department and how they feel about you and how many reservists they have around. If they have a lot of people to draw from or they want to keep relationships with only a few people, they might not be receptive. But where I adjuncted there were several people who would take a couple quarters off here and there, no problem. They were always in need of people to teach this particular course so adjuncts were always welcome back. I found it much easier to adjunct a class or two with kids than to teach full time as an adjunct, and now as a full time non-TT.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

not sure if callie is here or not. thought I would post a link so ya'll would respond to her.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=798323

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM

athansor: how exciting! Is the interview today or next monday? I wouldn't mention the pregnancy (congrats btw!), you have so little time with each person, better to talk about all the exciting work you are doing. I don't think anyone at your current institution could possibly blame you for moving to a top-notch program with better options for your dh. But if it doesn't work out, building your own PE program sounds pretty exciting too. Good news all around!

no personal experience with adjuncting but I agree that a good adjunct is worth keeping happy by being flexible about maternity leave. Just make sure you aren't being abused by the dept, decide what's fair and reasonable for yourself and suggest it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Hi everyone -
first of all, I am so glad this thread exists, because where else can I get this question answered?

I just found out I am expecting #2 (bkgd: I have a 2 year old, I am TT but untenured in a department where lots of my colleagues are women with young kids, and there's lots of support, but I'm the only untenured woman right now). My nature is to be very wary of telling anyone, even parents, until 12 weeks. But last time around, I was a grad student and it didn't matter. This time, it means unscheduling my classes for the fall (I'm due in July and will get an automatic 1-semester teaching release), and also scheduling a teaching visit/report for this spring, because I won't be teaching next fall when I'm up for a formal review. I'll be 12 weeks in mid-January, assuming all goes well - do you think that's too late to go public? Should I tell my chair beforehand?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM

I didn't tell my dept. chair (or any colleagues) until February; DS was born in August, and I got tenure that September. It worked well because there was still time to find people to replace me for the fall semester.

When does your department start scheduling classes for the fall? January sounds fine if they'll have time to cover your classes... and time to schedule the early review for the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikey View Post
Hi everyone -
first of all, I am so glad this thread exists, because where else can I get this question answered?

I just found out I am expecting #2 (bkgd: I have a 2 year old, I am TT but untenured in a department where lots of my colleagues are women with young kids, and there's lots of support, but I'm the only untenured woman right now). My nature is to be very wary of telling anyone, even parents, until 12 weeks. But last time around, I was a grad student and it didn't matter. This time, it means unscheduling my classes for the fall (I'm due in July and will get an automatic 1-semester teaching release), and also scheduling a teaching visit/report for this spring, because I won't be teaching next fall when I'm up for a formal review. I'll be 12 weeks in mid-January, assuming all goes well - do you think that's too late to go public? Should I tell my chair beforehand?

Thanks!

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Old 11-27-2007, 03:17 AM

We've already scheduled for next fall, including some moving around in order to accommodate me! But I think if I can hold out through 1st trimester I'll be ok. I did meet with the incoming chair, whom I'm friendly with, and hint that this would probably be an issue between now and my tenure year.... And wow! - good for you for giving birth and getting tenure in the same year!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM

congratulations, emikey! I agree, it shouldn't be a big deal to wait until january-february. we are STILL making changes to our spring term teaching assignments.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Congratulations emikey!!!
I think you will be more than fine waiting until Mid Jan to tell the department.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Athansor, how did the interview go?

Anyone else have fun with fastlane today? I promised to give SRO access by 4 pm today, and I clicked the button at 3:59. : That makes 2 papers written this year and 3 proposals. Now to get those papers published. Sigh.

On to AGU posters and a final exam to write and grade. Who all is going to AGU? Maybe a lunch out one day? I'm there all week, but I stay with my parents, so dinner is tough.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:37 PM

I think the interview went very well. The seminar seemed to be well recieved, and all of the face to face meetings with members of the faculty and search committee went great. Now, I'm just waiting. I hope to hear something soon, before the semester ends.

So, in the meanwhile, I'm writing finals, grading, and looking forward to a vacation! I hope to finish up another paper this break, and then submit two of them the first of the year.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 PM

nice job on the papers and grants! I have been pretty bad about both on my parental leave, mostly just focusing on getting students to write their papers. Hopefully coauthoring counts. It ought to... it's much harder than if I just wrote it myself. (eta: I'm not complaining about that, I enjoy it.)

wendy - maybe coffee? I think I'm going to be relieving dh for lunchtime breaks. M/T work best but I'm generally around. just started looking at the schedule. pretty much :
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 AM

I can't believe it's December already and the holidays are around the corner. We have not prepared anything yet, no lights, no decorations, ok, we bought one present for our son. It is hard because I really love this season but it is impossible to do anything. Besides the teaching duties (I teach a graduate course) I have to submit a paper for publication before the end of the week (I really wonder how I am going to get it done in so little time). And I want to spend time with my family, and bake cookies, and nothing like that will happen for a while... Right now, I do feel like, yes I have to choose between my family and my career, and my time has to go to my job which was on the second place for a while now. I really like it, but it is hard with a baby who has been almost constantly sick for the entire semester :

Geofizz, thank you for the tip on academicladder, I checked it out and I think I will do it next semester. For how long have you been signed up with them?

Hope you all have some time to enjoy the season!

Mom to DS (04) , DD ( 07) , DS ( 09)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulce_mami View Post
Geofizz, thank you for the tip on academicladder, I checked it out and I think I will do it next semester. For how long have you been signed up with them?
I hope it helps!

I signed up for 4 months total, I think. It was very useful to get the accountability and establish the habit of carving research time out every day, even if it's just 20 minutes.

This fall I organized my schedule so that I work on writing from 5:30-7 am every single day and it's worked out really well for me. I stopped signing up, saved the $50/month, and my husband and I are going to put that money towards a house keeper.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 AM

I just found this thread!! I'm tenure-track in my second year and currently pregnant with my first baby. I'm due at the end of April, right when the term ends! Given the lack of maternity leave where I am, I'm *really* hoping the baby will stay put until then as my husband is not able to work in the U.S. yet (we moved here from Canada a year ago).
My school does have the option of stopping the tenure clock for a year which I'm definitely taking advantage of as I didn't get much of my own work done in the first few months of this pregnancy. I'm a little worried about how I'm going to cope with being a mom and maintaining/advancing my career. The one good thing with my husband not working is that he can stay home with the baby.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM

hey yall - I just started a new thread. come join me!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3#post10194323

User Tag List