Looking for other professor mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley View Post
And I'm annoyed with myself for being so emotional about it, and for thinking about it so much, and I try to not think about it because what good does it do? I know some people don't hear until, like, July. Holy cow.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I've been an applicant and a member of search committees, and am now dealing wth this with my DH. Just wanted to let you know that it can vary depending on the school. Frustrating, I know. My DH and I both teach on the college level, but he's always on the market so we can be closer to my job. He's gone up the past three years and been the second choice each time... and so I constantly feel like my life is on hold, in a sense. His last interview was a month ago--went extremely well, but we haven't heard. I'm assuming it's a "no," and we'll keep on with our crazy commuting schedule. It *is* much harder to deal with all this with DS in mind.

All this aside, when I was hired, I didn't find out until AUGUST! It was a weird situation--a dean left in the summer, the search never got finished, the new dean came on board, and hired me before he met me based solely on the search committee's recommendation. So I don't know if that makes you feel better, or just depresses you (sorry!), but there it it.

The waiting and never feeling fully settled is a peculiar thing. I'd love to know how other professor mamas deal with it if you (or your partners) are often on the job market...

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#62 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM

I haven't been an applicant (yet) but I have several friends and colleagues who have been through the system. Usually people tend to find out (if they are the first choice anyway) 1-4 weeks after the interview. However, many times the first choice person is undecided and needs time to think. During this time everyone else on the list is on-hold. It is possible that if the first choice person does not accept the offer that a second offer will be made. However, beyond that, most schools would rather close the search and start over the next year. I am not sure whether schools usually inform you if you have NOT been selected - knowing most academics I could see them NOT wanting to do that. Your husband will probably need to call and follow up (kinda sucks, I know). Another common potential problem is finialization of the departmental budget for the next year. Often positions are posted in ANTICIPATION of funding. However, they cannot make a formal offer until the budget is finalized (may be as late as July in some departments). Again, your husband will have to call to find out what is happening.
#63 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 12:14 PM

By now we now how, for the most part, about the process and how it works--it's the emotional part that's getting to me. You'd think it would be a simple as waiting and seeing, but it's more than that. Even dh, who never says he's stressed, says it's freaking him out. He's good about calling the schools, etc...still no real info though.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
The waiting and never feeling fully settled is a peculiar thing. I'd love to know how other professor mamas deal with it if you (or your partners) are often on the job market...
Me too.

Huggingmama, not finding out until August! Yikes!

I think a lot of this is because one of our options would put me closer to family, and I don't want to get my hopes up about that, but I'd really love it if it worked out. There are good and bad things that come with living in each of these places, and in some ways they're all SO different. I'm a daydreamer and a planner, and it's impossible to do that when the future in uncertain (or, less certain than usual, lol). I just need to distract myself, and live in the present, which I can do, but there's still those moments...

A big thing is the kids. Ds is 6, and we love his current school. I really hope we know something before August, so he gets some time to get used to the idea before leaving before we do. I wonder what his school will be like--again, very different options depending on where we go. Dd is 3, and so school's not the same issue, but her whole world is here. They'll be ok though.
#64 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yeah, what they said. Usually if you are on their short list you find out within a month. But sometimes they keep the "next string" on hold in case their offer isn't accepted. That happened to me this spring. I have another interview next week and I hope it doesn't take long for them to decide--we'd be moving cross country and would have a house to sell, plus I'm teaching until mid-June, so it would be crazy.

Good luck!

Also I'm not sure what field you're in but do you know about the wiki? Current status of job searches, depending on the field:

http://wikihost.org/wikis/academe/wiki/start

These are all anonymously posted, but you can find out if your school has invited candidates to campus, made an offer, etc.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8), & due 3/2015. 3 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013.  
#65 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM

That's a neat website! It didn't have my husband's field, but I'm glad it's out there.
#66 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepymama View Post
Also I'm not sure what field you're in but do you know about the wiki? Current status of job searches, depending on the field:

http://wikihost.org/wikis/academe/wiki/start

These are all anonymously posted, but you can find out if your school has invited candidates to campus, made an offer, etc.
Nice website...

Feeling the academic burnout here, and trying to see what is out there...

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going!!
#67 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
Nice website...

Feeling the academic burnout here, and trying to see what is out there...

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going!!
Thanks for that link to the wiki! No news about the job my DH went up for there, either... though others were rejected (I assume before getting to the interview stage).

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#68 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the 4th year of a tt position in geology. I have two kids (4) and (2) years old. I'm happy to see that this thread was revived. Sometimes it really is hard to find support and balance in a tt position. I'm at a large university and am currently feeling the pressure to get out those last publications before the tenure decision. complicating the situation is the horrible state of grant funding. How can you publish if you can't get $$$ to do the work? some days I'm at my wits end but I love the job (I wish it was someplace with mountains) and love my family.

Geofizz - I remember you from about a year ago! I checked out that Cutting Edge website. It is so not easy to find a balance between your home life and work life

Kaybee - I don't know if I remember you but I saw you were also a geologist, hi!

Hope this thread continues

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#69 of 409 Old 03-23-2007, 03:25 PM

There might be another one for the sciences. That one is linked from the chronicle of higher ed forums--maybe search there to see if there is another similar site? Good stuff on those forums. Makes you feel less alone...

I am feeling the massive academic burnout as well. I'm teaching 3 courses spring quarter and there was a schedule snafu so they're all in a row and I have a 10 minute break in between each. I have no office. Two of the courses are brand new and I have little time to prep. One of them I've never taught in any way, shape, or form before.

My DD just turned 1 and is turning into a major grabby, screamy toddler. I used to be able to work at home with her but she is getting impossible and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to put her in more daycare but I am just so frustrated working at home with her. I can't afford a nanny The joy of adjunct work--no benefits, crappy pay, no office.

#70 of 409 Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepymama View Post
I am feeling the massive academic burnout as well. I'm teaching 3 courses spring quarter and there was a schedule snafu so they're all in a row and I have a 10 minute break in between each. I have no office. Two of the courses are brand new and I have little time to prep. One of them I've never taught in any way, shape, or form before.

The joy of adjunct work--no benefits, crappy pay, no office.
Oh, Sleepymama, many many hugs to you!! I am so sorry things are rough...

I am teaching 4 different classes spring term... I start at 11 a.m. and do not finish until 6:30 p.m. Eeek! And there is a week DH will be out of town, and I will have to have my neighbor get my kids from school/daycare...

It is indeed tough, even with my office and benefits... but yes I do have very crappy pay and a ton of service work.

DH is thinking of looking for a job across the country, close to my family, and I am thinking of leaving my tenured job for something more balanced. After all, my kids are this little only once...

#71 of 409 Old 03-25-2007, 11:30 AM

hey namaste_mom - haven't seen you in awhile. I'm formerly gobi_girl, and now pregnant - conveniently planned for the start of the summer, although there goes the field season. And who knows about next year?: Just realized we're about the same point (4 yrs) into the tt.

Many sympathies to those feeling the burnout. It comes and goes for me, but gosh some of your teaching/service requirements (minus an OFFICE?!) sound really rough. I hope it gets better soon!
#72 of 409 Old 03-25-2007, 01:14 PM

I don't have lots of time to contribute now -- but I can relate to no office, too many classes, no prep time, etc. My dh and I are both adjunct PT faculty members at the local c.college. In MN we're unionized, so the pay and benefits are good. Dh is doing a leave replacement this spring and there was a possibility of teaching 3 classes in a row with 10 minutes between : fortunately/unfortunately one of the courses was cancelled due to limited enrollment.

One thought that might help you get through is to remember that this semester is 1/2 done. There's ALWAYS a point for me when teaching semesters where I say I can't possibly do this one week more. Then it's 2 weeks from the end and I'm thinking "crap, I've got to cover x, y and z before the end of the semester."

Oh and add me to the geologists on the thread. I'm an ABD, trying to teach PT, become PhD and mother 2 kids on the way. Wheeeee.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#73 of 409 Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM

ah yes, but those of us on quarter systems are just about to START spring quarter. I hate the quarter system. Thanks for the support. I just hate, hate, hate being only one step ahead of the students. Bleh.

I did get access to the part timers office for next quarter though. Now if only I didn't have to pay for parking.

Oh yeah and I have to go on strike soon...Cal. state fac just approved a walkout. I have not joined the union yet but I will support the faculty. It's rolling strikes (2 days each campus) so it won't be too disruptive. I put a 'makeup day' into my syllabi just in case, and if we don't walk out they'll just get a long memorial day weekend and love me forever. Does that sound reasonable? Anyone else at CSUs?

#74 of 409 Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Yup on the Quarter System Sux comment. We start tomorrow, but I have it easy compared to the rest. 1 course per quarter, and I still manage to whine that I teach too much. I'm teaching a class I love this quarter, though, and it only meets twice a week, so I'm happy.

I have my first research trip coming up since DS was born. I gave a talk at another universtiy a few months ago, but this one will have me gone three nights, and I plan to work through all of them, so I'll come home wiped out. Normally, I do these experiments with 2-3 other people, but I'm taking over instrument time from someone who couldn't take it. So, I'm doing 72 hours of experiment time by myself. My goal is to use 60 of those hours.

Anyone checked out http://academicladder.com/? I did the writing club for one month. It's pricey, but eye opening. I might join up again if I start slacking off on writing daily.
#75 of 409 Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM

huh. for me, hardly a faculty meeting goes by without many complaints about having switched from quarters to semesters about 6 years ago. People here hate the semester system for many reasons including its effect on our student credit hours, the overall undergrad program, field trip schedules, etc. :
#76 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 PM

rock_dr!!

Hi, thank God you told me your screen name used to be Gobi_girl or I wouldn't have known who you are. I couldn't remember a rock_dr. Wow, 30 weeks plus...how far along are you? I didn't even know you were pg. I didn't see you at GSA this year but that didn't mean anything since it was in Philly. I figured that you didn't want to go.

Yeah, I haven't been on in a long time....several major events happened in my life and I've been trying to fight back and claw out of the state I was left in. I'm hoping I'm on track now. Speaking of tenure, uuggh, if we are at 4 years plus then we need to publish immediately. That is always on the forefront on my mind. Since October I started a lot of papers but never followed through. My major issue is grants -- I still don't have an NSF grant! speaking of grant writing, I've got to finish a prf ac grant by tomorrow. Ugghh. Everything is coming down on top of me. I did about 4 months of field work last summer but will only do about two months this summer, I think, with only about 1 month in Tibet. I don't think I'll get down to Nepal this year.

Alright, I just hijacked this thread to talk to you. i hope you are doing fine. Everything I tried to email you, it always bounced back. I have no idea if my email is blocked on your email system or what. I'd like to hear about the upcoming arrival, d.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#77 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste_mom View Post
I've got to finish a prf ac grant by tomorrow. Ugghh.
PRF G grant going in tomorrow (hopefully today!) here! I'm trying to figure out how to work in "petroleum and natural gas" into the first sentance.

I'm at NSLS right now collecting XRD data. Going well so far despite bazillions of delays. I'm squeezing meteorites right now... Cool data.

This is my attempt to get back into the experimental game fast. I did a "theory" postdoc, and I'm setting up and expt'l lab now, but I'm not getting data from my lab yet, hence the last minute trip to the synchrotron.
#78 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Geofizz: I need to get the signatures from my grants office before I can submit my PRF and they still haven't gotten back to me. I went to the acs website to input all my information and then on the last page I got bumped off and i can not get get by on now. I'm so frustrated! I've been around too long to be able to submit a G proposal.

#79 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 PM

The last time I can submit a g grant is tomorrow.

that the acs submission isn't too annoying. I'm going to try at 7 pm beam dump.
#80 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Good luck on your grants Wendy & namaste_mom!!! Getting those suckers in to the agency always makes me feel like I earned a vacation or something!
#81 of 409 Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 PM

: The submission system is down for maintenance.

I bought Ben and Jerry's 'cuz at least the thing is written (including the bit of creative writing about how my work relates to the petroleum field ) and I broke a diamond in my experiment. Not much celebration. Maybe I'll treat myself to quitting by midnight?

I'm so annoyed by this run cycle, by the way. I'm collecting data at a huge, active, 24-7 facility. Normally I pump at night right at the beamline to save time when people tend to disappear. The next beamline over is fully populated with a group that looks like they're not leaving the beamline for a second. I fully engage in public nursing, just not public pumping.
#82 of 409 Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Beam dumped at 11:30 pm. The submission website was still down...

I SLEPT FOR 7 HOURS STRAIGHT! Ladies, wanna know how long I've gone without 7 hours of sleep???

I took the laptop to the cafeteria, got a coffee, and sat down and did the submission. It went smoothly, and I'm not even done with my coffee.

namaste_mom, I hope your proposal does well!
#83 of 409 Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Woohoo Wendy!!! Yay! Congrats on your submission (and your 7 hours of sleep!!!). Treat yourself to something fun today
#84 of 409 Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM

another prf-er here. Good luck to all of us! :
#85 of 409 Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Can I jump in late? I am a TT prof and this is my second semester at the school. It's one of the smaller campuses in the UT system, and I'm actaully starting a new program, developing courses, designing labs, and trying to get new research funded.
I don't know if I want to stay here until the end of the tenure process, though. I don't know if that's career suicide. We don't care for the area, and although my Ph.D. is in petroleum engineering, since we're a startup program, I'm teaching through the industrial technology program. There aren't any graduate students (although I'm also now a graduate faculty in geology and will teach GIS and geostats) and getting funding for research is challenging.

I may have the opportunity to go to a different school in another year. I was contacted by the department chair, who wants both Dh and I to go there. I said that I felt I needed another year here to really carry through with getting this program off the ground, teaching all the classes, etc.

So, it's all up in the air, but I'm not thinking about it too much right now, because I've decided that it's probably a good idea to try and get registered as a professional engineer. I'm off to take my FE exam in a few weeks. Since my B.S. and M.A. are in mathematics, it's taking a lot of time to get prepared.

Well, off to sub and get to studying.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#86 of 409 Old 04-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Good luck Wendy and CJ on your prf's. I submitted with about 4 hours to go before the deadline on Friday and then i was wiped out. In fact, I didn't get any work done over the weekend because I felt mentally drained.

athansor - good luck studying for the FE exam. I'm so glad I don't have to take the professional geologists exam because I would probably fail. As scientists we get so specialized in our own fields. I hope you don't feel too obligated to the position that you are in right now, especially if you and your DH have a change to go together to another university. It is really a business and you have to go where you feel you are going to be treated the best and get the best deal for you and your family.

#87 of 409 Old 04-02-2007, 12:46 PM

<Sigh>

I just talked to the dean. He's awesome in many ways, and I'm hoping to get some help from him. I've struggled since we moved here (12/04) for appropriate care for my kids. We're still on the waiting list for the campus daycare, so he's going to try and see what he can do for me. I practically started crying in his office. Anyways, we wants to have a daycare in every building (!) for faculty. Wow, life would be so much easier if that were the case!

I also went to talk to him about other more serious (research and dept) issues. I got seen going into his office this morning (by one of the instigators of the politics issues that are causing me grief), so I was glad to be able to say that I'd gone over to just ask about daycare.
#88 of 409 Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd jump in. I had a TT job at UT and just resigned last week so I could be in the same city as DH. Dh has a non-acad job in another city and couldn't move to Austin. Still can't believe I gave up my dream job. I'd posted here a while ago. Here is my story. I'm now a visiting prof but hope to complete my R and Rs, and find another TT job in the job market in fall - this time closer to DH.

Since DS was born a year ago, I'd completely stopped my research but slowly getting back to it. My co-authors are doing a great job of pushing me to start writing again. I'm so looking forward to classes getting over in a few weeks when I can get back to my research. Right now I have the pleasure of having 30 senior theses to grade.

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#89 of 409 Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM

wtg wendy for pushing with the dean for childcare. that would rock if they could manage it for you.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#90 of 409 Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 PM

I remember your dilemna, Omsmom... I hope you find a new position in the right place - what a tough decision.

childcare is stressing me out too. I figured going back full time next January would give me plenty of time (and um still 2 months from even having the baby!). no such luck - the best/most convenient on campus place is maybe taking 1 child from the wait list per month, which would give me a chance in maybe late 2008-2009. maybe. I hadn't thought of trying to leverage through the Dean though!

athansor: moving to a better program wouldn't kill your career at all - could be quite a boost. It's hard enough to do the TT stuff in a well established place, and here you are having to start up a new program and such in addition to jump starting your own career. Kudos to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page