Full-Time Grad Student, Work Full-Time -- Can I cloth diaper and not lose my mind?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,
I have a 22 month old boy. I am a full time grad student and I work full time. I am seriously considering switching cloth diapering but have several questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) Is it too late to switch at 22 mos? (I have a boy)
2) Do you cloth dipe with a crazy schedule?
3) What kind of dipes do you use for your toddler?
4) How do you make it work when you have an insane schedule? How often are you washing dipes? (I have trouble getting all our clothes laundry done as it is... )

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Am I crazy? (well I guess I should say "crazIER" since I'm already crazy to be working, in school, and mothering at the same time!)

Thanks!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I switched DS into cloth when he was 21mo. If your child is still in diapers, it's not too late to switch to cloth.

I've found that using CDs is really not that much more work than dealing with disposables. You still have to change the baby, and you either have to "do another load of laundry" or "run to the store" when you run low on diapers.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:44 PM

I understand what you mean by insane schedules --I recently graduated from grad school(2 wks ago ) and worked pt-time, and during all this DD stayed with a friend about 45 min away (another MDC mama ) so schedules were hectic to say the least. We only CD and absolutely love it! I don't know the convenience of disposables. I think the trick with crazy schedules is to have an adequate number of dipes (I think we had 24-30) and we did a load of diapers every 2 days (sometimes 3 days as she got older and had more potty time). I don't see any issue with starting later in the child's life or in having a boy. Best of luck!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:14 AM

through a few weeks ago i was a full-time grad student with technically three part time jobs - and i cloth diapered two kids through this time (although not at the same time).

totally possible - wash is not bad - IF you have a washer/dryer in your home/apt - just take two or three minutes to switch things around when you have it - right before bed, right before running out the door, etc. you don't HAVE to fold them - just keep them in a laundry basket near where you change. although i did find folding diapers to be therapeutic and zen-like.

as for switching at 21 months - not sure on that one - do you get the sense he is anywhere near potty learning? if you think so, i probably wouldn't bother with the inital investment, but might wait to do cloth training pants when he is ready for that. but if you think it will be a while yet, go for it!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm showing signs of interest in potty-learning? Well... he kind of wants to know what I'm doing when I go but he never plays near it - except perhaps a toy on the closed lid while I brush my teeth. He has never evinced an interest in sitting on it, etc. So I think we're probably pretty far from him wanting to actually try it.

What are you fav. **easy to manage** CDs for a toddler? (I know my daycare is willing to do them but it needs to be absolutely as simple as possible for her and me.) Are AIOs the way to go? Pocket dipes? Can you recommend brands? : Clearly I know virtually nothing.

THANKS!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 AM

we liked granny's ark aios when dd was a heavy wetting toddler in daycare. they were easy (aio and velcro in the front - about as close to a disposable construction as possible i think) - but they aren't made anymore!

i would say either aios or prestuffed pockets - fuzzibunz with a prefold are very absorbant.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 AM

I 2nd the FuzziBunz vote - but we used Joey Bunz inserts (1 for daytime, 2 at night) instead of prefolds. Basically functions as an AIO once you've put it together, very adjustable, and I think w/ toddlers snaps are easiest b/c once you know which setting to use, you can snap it while they're squirming or running around.

I also agree that keeping up on the laundry is no more difficult than keeping up on the shopping. As far as the investment, in my experience cloth diapers, especially gently used ones, have excellent resale value. I actually have a friend who made money off hers (bought them used and sold them on ebay for more than she paid originally).

Go for it!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 PM

I don't find CD to be anymore work than sposies, how hard is it to do two more loads of laundry a week?

I haven used sposies since my first was 2 mo though so perhaps I'm forgetting what it was like, lol.

The one thing that I will say that might be hard is the initial research to figure out a system that you like. It's really worth the $ to get a sample pack or buy a few things used before committing to a single system.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Anyway you can do diaper service? Its about the cost of the disposables, less work than washing your own, but still cloth.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:55 PM

we do fuzi bunz for daycare (or did). I prefer them as they dry much faster than an aio. We stuff with prefolds.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

There are some diaper services that cost a lot less than diapers cost for a toddler. They may be worth looking into because you get the nice cloth benefits and almost no work for you, you just shake the diaper out if it is poop and throw it in a container for the service to come pick up.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM

I'm not a WOHM, but I am a mom of two cloth diapered kids, and I go to school part-time. I don't find that it takes much extra time and work to CD....at first it did, but once I got the hang of it it was a quick process.

I started CDing when my first son was 18 months, so you can definitely start at any time! If you plan on having any more children, then you know that you can reuse them!

I initially started CDing, because I wanted to be able to stay home and wanted to cut our expenses. So the method that I use is the cheapest method that I could find. I initally bought 2 dozen premium prefolds. and 6 large proraps from a company called ProServices (they took their website down , but I have a phone number if you want it). Over time, other people have given me more prefolds, and when my second child was born I bought 2 dozen infant prefolds. I've spent less than $100 total for all of my cloth diapers and wraps. For night time doubling, I would use a cheapie birdseye weave (from Walmart) cloth diaper on top of his prefold.

The more dipes you have, the less often you have to wash. Right now, I have about 5 dozen dipes....so I'm only washing about once a week. My 1st ds was the super pooper, so I washed every other day.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:12 AM

i use FB's on my son. I only have 6 right now (a 7th is on its way) so i'm only doing it part time. I like it better than disposables. I'm working and haven't started school yet.

Cayden will be in flats and covers.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 AM

I use FB's about 70% (?) of the time - depending on the week and my tolerance for laundry. I don't think it's any more work than sposies. If my stash were bigger (I have about 12 dipes) I'd use them more, but as it is I'm doing a dipe load every other day & sometimes I just get behind with the washing.
The great thing about cloth dipes is the more you use them, the cheaper they get ($ per use, ykwim?) and the more you use sposies, the more $$ you're tossing away. Even if you got a little starter stash like mine, you could still come out ahead within a few months. (plus no diaper rash )

User Tag List