Summer 2006 Student Mamas Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope everything goes well, Pynki.

I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to take online classes.

Anyway, I waited until Miss. J. went to Kindergarten and I'm enjoying the socalization of the campus.

Um, er, this year I'll be going to school with my firstborn because she got her AA from CC and transfered to WCU.

I'll also have my bro for the first time and DD #3 very part time :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm mainly a lurker here - I love the thread for the continued motivation! I am preparing to take the GRE and it seems that many mamas here are in grad school. Any tips/hints/things I should know - as far as preparation techniques? I typically test well, but want to make sure I am somewhat prepared. Thanks!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I took the GRE cold and did well. I too usually test well on standardized exams. My best recommendation is to get a good nights sleep the night before, stay hydrated during the exam and take advantage of bathroom breaks when they give them. Good luck.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 PM

I think the new essay portions of the GRE are kind of weird, and that it is worthwhile to at least review the CD they send you (with examples of good and bad essays). I found it helpful to do so.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 PM

I just took my last exam. So long as I get the essay questions correct like I normally do, I have gotten an A in both of my classes this semester.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the GRE info. I'm feeling a little : about the whole thing. Then other times it's no big deal. My last final for this semester is tomorrow. I'm sure it will all seem a little less overwhelming then.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 08-07-2006, 02:27 PM

I'm just joining in the end here and subbing until a fall thread is started. I'm going back to school this fall. I tried last fall, taking online classes, but I'm not a good e-learner.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM

i can't wait for a fall thread to be started.. i am going back to school again.. for nursing... I just graduated in 2005 and have a job.. but nursing is what i have always wanted to do... im excited...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

I'm enjoying summer and will enjoy the next semester (fall,)

I love my life right now.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am a newbie to this thread, hope you don't mind another student wandering in and out.

I am a graduate student studying for a Masters of Arts in Teaching. Basically, it is halfway to a M.Ed and teaching certification all rolled into one intensive program. Classes began 3 weeks ago...12 credits, 4 classes in 4 weeks! Next week is my last week, thank goodness!

I begin student teaching on 28 August for full-time for an entire month, then student teaching will be tapered to 2 hours every morning with classes all afternoon until Xmas.

I LOVE it! It is so wonderful studying, primarily, everything I love to learn about. Plus, having a group of like-minded individuals to share in the experience is fantastic. Love it, love it, love it!!!

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

!

Sounds intense! Glad to have you join us.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 08-13-2006, 05:22 PM

I have to say it is really inspiring to see so many moms who are students as well. I have soem questions and I thought this would be the right place to ask them? I'm expecting my first child so I'm not quite in your shoes' yet. But I was wondering if it is hard at all to be going to school full time while being a devoted parent? I am a little nervous about trying to juggle the 2 as i like to go above and beyond in my studies. However i can not afford to take any more time off seeing as I'll be in college for the next 6.5 years *at least* : Sometimes I feel like I should give up on school so I can be a great mother but I don't want to quit my other dreams if it is possible to succed at both. Also while I'm in school that means we'll be struggling money wise for quite some time-but i figure it will come back a LOT once I finish college So what is everyone's opinion: is it worth it to have my child live his/her first 7ish years struggling with not much but hte necessities and then have the restof his/her life being very well taken care of? Also how does everyone handle the stress of juggling school and children-especially during exams?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM

CP, i think it is a lot easier to be poor with younger kids. babies and toddlers don't cost much, but once they hit older elementary, middle school and (eek!) high school, you end up with a lot more kid-associated costs, ie. school related expenses, classes, hobbies. my DS is 14 months and i can say that the only big expense has been his birth, because with thrift shop clothes, a few toys from around the house and from yard sales, cloth diapers and lots of breastfeeding--he doesn't cost much at all. i did take off the first year of his life from school to be with him, and it was a nice break, but i am sooooooooo ready to go back to school.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:18 PM

Hi everyone! I just found this forum- thank god! I am applying to grad school (masters in family therapy) and i have a 6 week old baby. It great to find so many otehr mamas that are striveing for soemthing better ...even if it is a bit hard to do! I thaought i was all alone. I've goten so many remarks for wanting to go to school- both good and bad. Most of my friends are proffesionals..pharmasists, engeniers,dentists, etc so they totaly know what its like to stress out and keep going.
My mom on the otehrhand hs "warned " me about stress... babies can tell when your stressed out and they do not do so well, she mentined that it also affects your milk supply! ..is this true?? has anyone ever experienced something like this??
Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Michelle,

I really agree about younger children being able to be happy poor when it's more of a challenge when you have middle school and high school students.

We've recently become quite middle class after many years of borderline poverty and, let me assure all, it's much more challenging to financially satisfy a teenager.

la mamita, I'm going to learn Spanish, I wish I had you around as a helpful friend!!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 PM

DB- anytime you want to start a spanish-language thread to practice, I'm there. I'm not a native speaker, so I'm always working on my vocabulary and perfecting my skills. PM me if you ever start that thread or if you have any questions.

calimommy- hmm. DS's first year was stressful (bad living situation) and I never had problems with my milk supply. He did seem to catch on when I was stressed out and he'd cry more and was generally fussier (or maybe I was just super sensitive and any crying seemed like a lot...I'm not sure...I think he was affected somewhat). I do know that trying to pump while stressing about how much milk you are getting can be hard, but I think if you get into a good schedule and make a space that is relaxing and calming that it should go okay. If you are just now applying, when would you start school?

I'm still going back and forth on my classes. Not sure if I should take 12 or 16 credits...there are so many classes I want to take! Right now I'm signed up for an Anthro class (Latin American Society and Culture), a Spanish language class (on Terrorism in Peru) and an intro to Quechua class (it's an indigenous language in the Andes). Trying to see if I can fit a fourth class in there....there's a class about Non-Violent Resistance Movements and another one about Race and Ethnicity that look good.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Im thinking of applying now and starting in october, sometimes i think maybe i should jsut go back when shes older, but then how difficult will that be??? aghhh!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

If I get into the SPA1 class, I may take you up on that offer.

I'm quite nervous about the vocab because I'm a miserable speller.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:40 PM

Welcome to the new ladies!!

I planned on going back when my children were older. But, I got a gift instead and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm mourning the loss of some things, but I feel like we are all getting along really well with everything. My children, especially my oldest, really are proud of me. I think I'm being a really good example to my boys by showing them that I can go back to school and be a great mom.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Old 08-15-2006, 03:56 PM

I haven't had much time to post, but I've been lurking, because my summer classes have been totally overwhelming. Tonight is my LAST class for the summer & I'm sooooo happy. I finished my work a little early so I celebrated by going to Panera for lunch & sat & relaxed & surfed the web (I love Panera - free internet access & good, mostly organic food too).

I can't wait to just go to sleep tonight!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:40 PM

well tomorrow is my final for my summer sociology class.. i already have a 90% so im not soo stressed out even though the final is worth 40% of the final grade...

I cannot wait to get this done and start sept 7th for my fall semester..i think just for fun i am going to add on a french class to my fall semester

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Although there is only 2 more days of classes, thank goodness, I am basically finished! My presentations are finished, my website is up and running (for my Ed Tech class) and my No Child Left Behind paper has been turned in. Halleluljah!!! I just need to put some finishing touches on my clay animation film (another Ed Tech project) and write a self-reflection for my diversity class.

I received my placement for my student teaching this morning. I will start in 1st grade. As I am being endorsed in 2 levels, I have to student teach in a grade from each endorsement level. I start my placement on 25 August. I am REALLY excited!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Ok finished my sociology final.. so i am done now til sept 7th... whoo hooo

and it was easy.. i have no doubt that i passed...

Old 08-26-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

: Well, I failed the midterm for Special Topic - radiography of the abdomen with a 68%. : I can still recover if I work my @ss off for the rest of the trimester... I know that of a class of around 200 last trimester that 30 people are repeating, so it is a harder class. I'm just really bummed that I did so bad. I have a really hard time with the rad classes where half of the exam is identifying pathology on slide projections (8ft by 10ft on a white painted wall) of xray films. I've got a friend who did better than I did, and we are going to start a study group to make sure that we all get through alive.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Dmitrizmom sounds like a difficult class! hopefully with the study group you can make up for it and still recover.

should we start a fall thread? a friend of mine just started a thread for student mamas in FYT, also.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:33 PM

hi all! i'm joinng in
it feels so weird to be back at school after taking time off for ds. even weirder being pg and back at school!

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

la mamita - starting a fall thread is fine with me.... I'll get one started and put the link over here. Can you put the link for the thread in FYT? and thanks for the hugs.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=509698 here's the FYT thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

And here's the new Fall 2006 thread.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...87#post5887187

User Tag List