transitioning from SAHM to WOHM - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been working only part-time since having DS, who will turn 2 in May. We had crafted my work schedule so that I worked a.m.s and p.m.s and DH was with DS when I wasn't, so it was really nice. I also loved what I was doing (teaching college level). However, I lost one of my jobs due to budget cuts back in December. DH and I decided that i need to go back to fulltime work since I also lost my benefits.

I have been fairly positive about this all along, as I will still be teaching, but going into high school teaching instead. I had some great interviews last week and actually got excited.

However, I just submitted my formal applications and ugh, my heart just sunk. I think the reality of it all is starting to hit, especially the fact that I will be commuting and DS will be in childcare at least 7 hrs/day. My stomach suddenly hurts and I want to cry. It doesn't help that we don't have any family around to help with childcare, but at least I think I found someone I can trust and respect.

Does anyone have any helpful thoughts on making that emotional transition from spending your day with your child to working fulltime? Even when I was teaching both places, I was still with DS for most of the day. We have never left DS with anyone for more than 5 hrs at a time.

Thanks for any positive thoughts you might have.
#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 09:44 AM

Lisa, I'm going to move this to the Working Mama's forum..I'm sure they'll have some helpful ideas.

Good Luck!
peggy
#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 09:53 AM

I went thru this transition myself...it was difficult, but the fact that you have been working part time, should help both of you. It took me a LONG time to find the perfect caregiver. I tried three daycares, and realized that was not for my daughter, as she was used to running errands, baking, doing home stuff...I finally found a mother who has three girls, 7,9,11, all in school, and she is a home away from home. They do all the things I do with her!!!
In my humble opinion, this would be the best bet for you, as your little one is used to being home, daycare would be a big change!
Also, is there any way, that you can get away with teaching 4 days/wk instead of 5? I work 4 days, then off for 4, which I love. But i'm doing shift work, so I still work 40-48 hrs in those 4 days...but I feel that having 4 days off is important, because I feel completely like a sahm...not sure if that makes sense or not!!!
You will be fine, as will your little one. I almost think it's harder on us...because we know the way we parent and love our little one, and it's difficult to find someone who you trust will treat them with as much respect as you do....it's possible!!!!

Mamasoleil
#4 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 03:03 PM

Just wondering when you all spend time working. I am also tranistioning. thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page