How many hours do you work a week? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2003, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jesse-
7am?! How do you do it? I have to be at school by 8:05 and its all I can do to get out of the house by 7:30 (I have a 25 min. commute). I wish you didn't have to go back, but your big "kids" will be glad to see you.
Jazmommie--some days it the best of both worlds and others I feel like I can't get anything done anywhere. Even "just" two days a week really throws things off--dinner is catcah as catch can on those days and the house goes to pot, then just by the time we're recovering, boom, it's a work day for mama again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2003, 09:40 AM

I second that! I work at the office 2 days in a row--Wed and Thurs--and Fridays are my "try to make this place look more like a home and less like a landing strip" days. I cook like a crazy woman on Tuesday, so we'll have lots of good foods for the two days.

I just don't know how you teacher-mamas do it. I've worked as a trainer, and I agree that the prep time is an absolute MUST. It's really too bad more teachers can't co-op or job share. Of course, one would ask whether you'd really WANT to...

So, do you teacher mamas have good support at home? My dh is supportive (yesterday I got 4 whole hours of work time in a row!!!), but he's very Old World--as am I in many ways. You know? I can't count on him to do a lot of my household work. If he could do laundry, or cook a decent meal, or play with ds without leaving a HUGE mess, I juest feel like my stress would be lessened a lot.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:26 AM

30 - 50 hours a week... depending on the week.... Pay is always the same unfortunately.

The good thing is that usually the 30 hours is at work, and the rest is at home whenever...... sometimes it's conference calls in the middle of the night (we do a lot of business with Japan) or it's going through email after ds is in bed.

I can basically make my own schedule as long as I'm getting most of the stuff done (like who ever gets EVERYTHING done?) no one complains. If someone gives me a hard time, I point out all the resources our company dedicates to teleconferencing availability... emeetings. That usually shuts them up quick.

Sometimes it feels like too much, but more so because I never have any time for myself. I rush home everyday to be with ds, but because I'm away during the day, I feel as if I can't take time off.....plus what time I could squeeze in after ds is in bed... is work so I can be with ds more during the day. Argh! It will get better.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:20 AM

I work 32 hours per week at the office. Fridays are my day off to do grocery shopping for the week, car repairs, etc etc. Weekends are entirely for my ds and dd. They'd like more of my time especially by Thursday, but its a careful balance because I too love the work I do.

Everything artmama said is true for me too, though I'm not destined to be a painter - I love the graphic arts. So I try hard to keep life simple so that my time at home is not filled with busywork - things that don't really matter. I'm always comparing whatever I'm doing to time with the little ones. It keeps me focused and connected.

I've lost some pay and opportunities due to not working 40+ hours a week, but its a price I'm not going to complain about. I'm just glad I have a great job and a great family with time to do both well.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:39 AM

We have a sitter 24 hrs/week...and i am out of the house maybe 20 hours a week....that's about the minimum I can handle right now, since I am an acupuncturist and (yay!!!) my business is taking off. I actually need about 4 more hours per week to do paperwork (especially during tax time--UGH!), but I feel guilty about it, plus we can't really afford it.

User Tag List