How many hours do you work a week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone.
I don't know how to post a poll or I would.:
I'm wondering how many hours all the working mamas work a week. I do 28 but that is seeming to be too much for me still. Hoping to maybe do 25 after my boss fills my position. He wouldn't let me continue to be the Creative Director at our agency as a part-timer so I had to take a demotion as well (he really never thought I would accept that... shouldn't have underestimated the power of motherhood.) I can't go much lower than 25 hours though financially.
Sooo... how many hours do you all work?
#2 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 02:52 PM

I work 24hours....2-12hour shifts. weekends only, so dad can be home.
#3 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 05:08 PM

For the first year after each dd was born I worked 30 hours per week; 5 six hour days. I currently work 35 hours per week; 5 seven hour days. Now I would like to work just 4 days a week - either 30 or 32 hours a week. Might be able to make the change this summer. Ideally, I would only work 2-3 days per week but that isn't realistic right now.

Normee
Mommy to Katie (7/3/99) and Abby (6/30/01)

Normee, married to DH since 1997, mama to DD born 1999 and DD2 born 2001
#4 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 05:52 PM

I currently work 45 hours per week. I feels like a lot, and I guess it is, but it is definitely less than anyone else in my office, so there's a lot of pressure to work more hours. I work five days a week and I've really been resisting the pressure to work weekends.
#5 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 06:20 PM

I work 25-35 hours a week (varies a lot), and often put in time on more relaxed projects after my guys go to sleep.

I worked from home when my kids were younger, for more like 20 hours a week. When our new baby is born in October I'll be working from home again.
#6 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 07:12 PM

It varies from week to week for me. The last few weeks have been about 45 - 50, but typically it's about 35 - 40. That's how many hours I am away from DS, and hours that I count being "at work". I use some of that time to go to the grocery, run errands, etc.

If I don't fall asleep nursing, I get a bit of work in at home once DS goes to bed.
#7 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 07:25 PM

25 a week, but at 40 hour pay (I'm salary) and from home. I love my boss.
#8 of 35 Old 03-21-2003, 07:59 PM

I work 25 hours a week. I have it carefully mapped out timewise to get my hours in while minimizing his time not with me or my husband. My son, who is 27 months old, is with a sitter/nanny who comes to our house 3 mornings a week for 3.25 hours. I go in early and he's with my husband til the sitter comes. Then I come home at noon, and when he naps I do another 2 hours. Fridays are our "off day" but also my buffer day. So if he didn't nap on schedule, I fill in a few hours then.

I'd be happier with 20 hours a week...
#9 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 02:36 AM

i work around 36 hours a week - 4 eight hour days and 1 6 hour. i'm going to be dropping down in a couple of weeks to 34 hours - 2 6 hour days rather than one. after my maternity leave, i'll just be working a couple days a week to get back into full time mode. i'd live to work less permanently, but it isn't financially possible.
#10 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 03:00 AM

Around 40 hours a week. Maybe a couple more. It doesn't really feel like a lot, though. My son is with me for about 4 of those hours and with dh for 8 of those hours.
#11 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 09:37 AM

I actually work between 40 and 45 hours a week, depending on what's going on that week.

(So much for teachers having shorter hours -- my contract requires 40 hours a week; 7-3 every day.)

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
#12 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 07:48 PM

40-50 hours. I try my best to keep it at 40, but there are times when my employer requires me to work more. This week I had to work a little over 50 hrs, which is okay because I earned at least 10 hours of comp time. So it works out for the best.
#13 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 08:02 PM

Ugh- I work 40-50 per week. "They" would have me work more but I pretty much refuse to work weekends. It is supposed to be a M-F 9-5 job but you know how that goes!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#14 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 08:59 PM

Most weeks its 40 hours.........
#15 of 35 Old 03-22-2003, 09:39 PM

I work 7:15-2:45 M-F. I also "work" at home with grading, planning, etc. about 1-2 hours a day when you consider the weekends, too. Never enough time.

I am hoping to cut down to half-time (either a job share for half the week or teach one class of Kindergarten daily) by the Fall of '04--when hopefully are 2nd baby will be around.
#16 of 35 Old 03-23-2003, 02:39 AM

Yeah. Teachers seem to have some of the busiest schedules around. How contrary to what most people think of our jobs and their being so conducive to child-raising!
#17 of 35 Old 03-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Banned

40-50 hours per week, depending on what's going on. Most of those are from home, however, so I can't complain. They're going to really ratchet up in May, though, when I'll be teaching my first clinical class (health law).
#18 of 35 Old 03-23-2003, 06:45 PM

Another teacher here!
I share a contract with another teacher and this year I am only 40%, which is 2 days a week. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being with ds for 5 days in a row and I am so enjoying this year because I know it can't last. We can't afford it and it's been way stressful, so next year I'll likely be 5 days a week, but only 3.4 hours per day--which is 60%. Of course there is the planning time, etc, and my district actually requires us to put in 20-40 hours/year of extra duty!
#19 of 35 Old 03-23-2003, 06:57 PM

20-30 hours per week, and at least 12-15 of that is at the office. I am supposed to be closer to 30 per week, but we are still working out the kinks with my connection to the company server. About half of my work is database-dependent, and the other half is the part I like--the creative stuff.

I'm still having a really hard time working at home, though--dh does not seem to "get it" most of the time. He comes home very tired and just doesn't do much to make it so I can do my work. We have a long way to go before this experiment is a success...open to suggestions, btw.
#20 of 35 Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 AM
Banned

Also a teacher. 40 hours per week, except during summer, which will be here soon!!
#21 of 35 Old 03-24-2003, 02:21 AM

The thing I don't think most people understand, is that at 40 hours--7.5 there and more at home--I am still spending tons less in my room afterschool than I used to. (AND feeling intensely guilty about it too......) I used to stay 10 hours--and still not feel that everything was done. Since I had dd, I leave right when I can 4/5 of the time.....and have given up the perfect teacher thing. It sucks. I really want to be that person--but you CAN'T and be a good parent. Teaching requires much more time to be like they show in the movies....it is so unrealistic to think you can leave and be done after 7.5 hours!....ok, back to your regularly scheduled post....just had to get that guilt off my chest.
#22 of 35 Old 03-24-2003, 12:53 PM

I work 40-45 hours per week plus a 40-minute commute each way. Funny thing is that after leaving private practice (I'm now an attorney with Legal Aid), it feels like an easier schedule. Of course, it is way too much time away from DD. I wish I could be a SAHM or at least work PT but bc of student loans, I can't.
#23 of 35 Old 03-24-2003, 03:01 PM

Hi! I currently work between 30-35 hours. Technically, my job is a 40 hour a week job, but I have been cutting the time short for approx the last year. When its very busy, then it is a 40 hour week. Now that dd is bigger, however, I REALLY want to be with her more, so I'm looking into part-time options. Hopefully, I'll only be working about 20-25 hours part time. We'll see.......

Libby
#24 of 35 Old 03-25-2003, 03:40 AM

I hear ya Shannon.
Before I had ds, I could spend as much time prepping as I did teaching, so, let's see, 7.5 x 2 and that makes my hourly rate, what?!?
Fortunately, I've had an easy time leaving at 3:30 these past two years. Nothing seems to keep me from ds!
#25 of 35 Old 03-25-2003, 10:05 AM

I worked 44 hours in 2 weeks last pay check-I work Saturday & Sunday-about 10 -11 hours a day-
My mom is next door & watches my dd-the boys are old enough to stay home -
I have worked weekends only (8 hour shifts for 12 years--10-11 hour shifts for 1 year)==13 years !!!

I was getting time & 1/2 even for the 8 hour shifts!Long time employee I was for them.

Now I can work a few hours at home for extra $ so I can pay off
those credit cards !!!!

Does anyone feel parttime is the best of both worlds OR like you can not be a good enough mom when home-& not a good enough worker-YKWIM?

::
momma to 4
#26 of 35 Old 03-25-2003, 10:16 AM

I can feel the potential for the "best of both worlds" scenario--I already like being back in the place where I make a little $$. Even though it's not nearly what I used to make, I feel like I'm a little more in control of finances. I also like the external feedback--pats on the back, lunch with the boss, etc--that my $$ job gives me. I just having a hard time "giving up" some of my standards for the house and our food, and I am having to reach waaay down inside me to find the energy for it.
So, for now, I feel some guilt--although, honestly, while I love being with ds more than anyone, I have found he has learned a lot (good stuff too) being around a house full of little kids (my sister keeps him ~20hrs/week, and she has 4 of her own and plently of play dates). And I do feel less burned out about being Momma.
So, I do feel like this is the best set-up for us, but I feel as though I have yet to succeed in realizing our potential.
#27 of 35 Old 03-25-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I think it depends on the day. But that's because I have a job that feeds my soul for the most part instead of one that sucks it dry. I'm a creative director/graphic designer and I get really happy when I am successfully creative. So if I had to give it up I think I would lose something... ALTHOUGH I could paint more if I didn't have to work And that is really my dream...to be a successful artist.
But dd feeds my soul also. So I'm distressed to have to leave her.
On a good day I do something great at work, I pick up dd and I'm a better mother because of it. On a bad day I bring the stress from work home and maybe have less patience or am distracted as a mother.
Okay... I guess there are a lot of scenarios... maybe I have a bad day at work but dd is in a happy mood when I get her afterwards and she brings the sunshine back into my day... ??
Ideally I'm more creative because of my time with dd and a better mother because of my time creating. Of course it depends on the day... and I think I said that right in the beginning. Sorry to torture anyone who bothered to read this with such loose association.
#28 of 35 Old 03-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Liz

Artgirl - I'm a product designer. I gave up my not bad paying, highly stressful 'real' job as an in-house designer and now work from home. I find the work more creative (less admin stuff) and so much less stressful. My ds is still with a babysitter 40 hrs a week but I don't have to rush to get him there in the morning and I actually have time to make dinner in the evening. I probably work about 30 hrs a week although this week I just can't seem to accomplish anything. Anyway, seeing as you're a designer and freelancing is so common in our field, couldn't you work from home? An obvious suggestion but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
#29 of 35 Old 03-26-2003, 01:46 AM

i will be working about 25 hours a week (i start in 2 weeks). it's amazing how much inner conflict i still have about working. on some days i think it will be good for me to get out of the house, interact with other people, and also good for ds (12 months) to interact with other kids and spend some alone time with Daddy (dh will watch him part of the time that i'm at work, and he will go to a sitter with 2 children of her own for about 3 hours/day, once or twice a week). then there are other days that ds is being soooo cute and i think he's only young once.....those are the times i wish we could afford for me to be a sahm. we are working towards being in a better situation for when baby #2 comes along (maybe 1-2years). until then, i will try to see the benefits (for me and ds) of working part-time and be secretly envious of all those moms who can afford to stay home!
#30 of 35 Old 03-26-2003, 01:50 AM

Right now I'm on maternity leave (so that means working 24/7 LOL), but during my normal work week I am at school from 7am-2:45--my regular contract is 40 hours but I also direct the fall and spring plays. So 12 weeks out of the school year I am there until at least five o'clock. Except for the actual performances--then I don't get home until after 10pm.

Don't even get me started on grading, creating curriculum, special education meetings and paperwork.

Ug. Do I have to go back???

Jesse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page