Students, what does your fall schedule look like? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm reading this thread backwards...

My daily schedule is like this:

Monday,Wednesday,Friday

8-8:50 Spanish
8:50-11:30 study break
11:30-12:20 African American Lit
12:30-1:30 Shakespeare (of course this class just HAS to be at the other end of the campus from my African American Lit class- UGH!)

Tuesday and Thursdays

8-8:50 Fitness Walking/Weight Training
9:30-10:20 British Literature before 1790

Then of course I work from 2:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday.

I'm driving 100 miles a day from home to campus- YIKES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 85 Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Dar"Testing Women, Testing the Fetus: The Social Impact of Amniocentesis in America" I just started looking through this one, but it looks interested...
Paleopathology sounds like so much fun - my dad is a pathologist, and I sort of grew up steeped in it. Med Anth is under social-cultural at my school, but I'm sure I'll end up doing a lot of the bio/physical stuff, too...

And I wish we lived closer - I'd offer my daughter as a babysitter!
Dar[/QUOTE]

If you remember, can you let me know what you think of the "Testing Women..." book? I've read a few of the others. Good reading. Although, "Death Without Weeping" is some pretty heavy stuff. Very difficult to read- I cried!

I love paleopathology. I did some volunteer time with a pathologist a few years ago in the morgue- it was awesome! The bio/physical stuff is really interesting to me. I took a great class on Human Adaptation last year.

Oh, do I wish we lived closer! Maybe I'll apply to come out your way for my PhD We could trade with Rain some guitar lessons for some babysitting! I have to have my research portion done by the time this baby comes in December! Not an easy task with 2 six year olds!

Anyone use Alibris.com for books? No one has mentioned it yet, so I thought I'd throw that out there as another option for everyone.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#63 of 85 Old 08-22-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm a full-time psych major at the University of Oklahoma now! I was working full-time and going to school part-time in the evenings, but made the switch this semester. I'm so happy to finally be able to make some real progress toward my degree. I see a Ph.D. in my future - ultimately hoping to go into private practice or into an academic career in counseling with a specialization in infertility and miscarriage counseling techniques and outcomes.

My schedule is actually pretty good this semester, and I'm hoping to have a similar schedule next semester after my son is born. I'm due in late December, so hopefully I'll make it through finals at least!

I'm taking 14 credit hours, but only two of those classes have set meeting times. Intro to Personality: MWF 1:30-2:20 and Precalculus: TR 10:30-11:45. I also work in the mornings before class (MWF 8-12; TR 8-10) and Thursday afternoons from 1-5. I also have an Independent Study with a professor in the psych department so I can get some research experience under my belt prior to applying to graduate school. Fortunately, the schedule for that is pretty flexible, but I'm planning to work with her MWF after class. I'm also taking an online Spanish class and I work on that in the evenings.

It looks like I'll be taking Research Methods and Calculus I next semester, so I'll actually need to be in class for those. Then the Independent Study will continue into the spring, plus I can take the next Spanish class online as well. Between work and school, I will be able to get home by 5pm every day to be with my son. Thank goodness my mom can provide child care, so he won't have to be in daycare or anything while I'm in school. It makes me feel sooooo much better.

It really annoys me because my financial aid isn't usually disbursed in time for me to order my books from an outside source and instead I have to pay a small fortune for them at the bookstore! GRRRRRR! They should disburse financial aid two weeks before classes start so we can save money! If I didn't NEED the extra money, I wouldn't even HAVE financial aid! It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
#64 of 85 Old 08-22-2006, 09:50 PM

I'm taking one course: Biology I. MWF 12:30-1:20pm, Monday Lab from 1:30-4:30pm.

I wish I could have taken 2 classes, since I'm due at the end of January, but I have a 21 month old at home and I'm working FT too. I'm sure by December I'll have problems waddling to my final!

Rach
16 weeks and already a WHALE...
#65 of 85 Old 08-23-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight

ConfusedPrincess - hello to someone from my DDC! LOL. What are you studying? And are you taking spring semester off? I definitely am.
right now i'm studying as a psychology major, mostly for sh*ts and giggles to get my bachelors so i can apply to med. school. I haven't decided what I'm doing next semester yet. I'm taking online right now to see how I do at it and if all goed well then I'll take online next semsester. But I definitely won't be taking a full on campus schedule next semster-baby comes first. See ya over at DDC!
#66 of 85 Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalC
It really annoys me because my financial aid isn't usually disbursed in time for me to order my books from an outside source and instead I have to pay a small fortune for them at the bookstore! GRRRRRR! They should disburse financial aid two weeks before classes start so we can save money! If I didn't NEED the extra money, I wouldn't even HAVE financial aid! It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
This is the joy of credit cards...

Also, www.bookfinder.com will search all of the online bookselling sites for you, including half, amazon, and alibris.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#67 of 85 Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM

No credit cards...credit cards are BAD! "Gee, this is kinda cool. Ah, what the hell. I have plastic!!!!!!" And then the bill comes in. ;p
#68 of 85 Old 08-24-2006, 12:51 AM

hi all, I am an accelerated nursing student. So I take anywhere from 16-18 credits but that doesn't include my clinicals. I also am working at WIC as a breastfeeding counselor one day out of the week and Macy's just because I don't do well not making my own money. BUT I just signed myself up as a Girl Scout troop leader. We will be daisys! I am so excited. I am happy to know I am not the only crazy AP parent going to school taking a zillion credits! haha
#69 of 85 Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmSamiyah
I am happy to know I am not the only crazy AP parent going to school taking a zillion credits! haha
welcome to the club.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#70 of 85 Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM

So, I'm fairly new here, and just found this thread. I have a question for those of you pursuing your master's degrees. I have a BBA, and I want to get my master's and I'm trying to find out about good colleges that offer master's degrees online. Also, how does financial aid work with graduate studies compared to undergrad? I've heard that you can't get any grants with grad studies, only loans. Is that true?
Any help or advice you can give me would be great. Like some of you, I will be working, single mommy'ing and studying, so I'm a little nervous as to how I will fit it all in. I'm determined to get my degree, though, so I'm really doing my research.
Thanks!

--Single mama, and future foster mama--::
#71 of 85 Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 PM

Umm Samiyah,

That sounds like a heck of a lot of work!!!

Especially with you being an Umm and all I admire moms who can take on so many credits. I can't handle more than 4 classes any given semester.
#72 of 85 Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahinas_mommy
So, I'm fairly new here, and just found this thread. I have a question for those of you pursuing your master's degrees. I have a BBA, and I want to get my master's and I'm trying to find out about good colleges that offer master's degrees online. Also, how does financial aid work with graduate studies compared to undergrad? I've heard that you can't get any grants with grad studies, only loans. Is that true?
Any help or advice you can give me would be great. Like some of you, I will be working, single mommy'ing and studying, so I'm a little nervous as to how I will fit it all in. I'm determined to get my degree, though, so I'm really doing my research.
Thanks!
Yep, you're pretty much right on the financial aid front. Grad students can apply for some scholarships and SOME programs will offer additional aid to students, but you would not qualify for any of the federal grants available to undergraduate students. You can still get student loans.

If you're looking for scholarships, I recommend checking out http://www.fastweb.com as it has a HUGE database of scholarships. You can specify your educational goals, special circumstances, etc. and find the scholarships you'd qualify for.
#73 of 85 Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahinas_mommy
Thanks!
You can get definately get grants as a grad student sometimes there are more for grads than undergrad depending on your major. Depending on where you live also some four years will offer online/distance classes with little contact time sometimes once or twice a semester. But again I would look into you area universities and colleges.
#74 of 85 Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Don't forget about sponsorships for your master's. I'll look for the link on how to acquire sponors for grad work...
#75 of 85 Old 08-25-2006, 12:12 PM

I'm in a Master's program and have had a hard time finding any grants or scholarships. Since I am a part time student and a full time employee, there isn't a lot out there. There seems to be more available for full time students, but maybe that's just the way it looks from my perspective.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#76 of 85 Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 PM

This is my combined sophomore/junior year (3 credits short of jr status this semester) for a BSW. I'm starting the professional courses now. This fall I'm taking 16 credits. School starts Sept 5 and here's my schedule:
T 1-4 Human Behavior and the Social Environment
4-7 Intro to Social Work
(I'll be on campus from 8am as this is my DH's second job day and we only have one vehicle: extra study/project/down time for me!)
W 12:30-3:30 The Medium and the Message (a humanities course) This is taught by 4 different instructors, I've been advised that it will keep me busy.
TH 1-4 Generalist Practice Methods I
Then I have two 1 credit weekend courses: Conflict Resolution and Empathy Listening the last 2 weekends in Sept.

There is a community service requirement this semester and I have 3 littles and a terminally ill parent I care for as well. This should be interesting.

Last semester I had a baby in the middle of the semester, a wedding right before finals and a death in the family requiring a last minute out of town trip the week of finals. I'm so glad all my classes were online, I would have never made it! To tell the truth, I much prefer on campus classes to online ones. My DH never really took the time required for an online class seriously so my school work was often done with a toddler in my very preggo lap while DH was "busy" having a date with the TV.
#77 of 85 Old 08-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Online classes can make all the difference. I finally heard from the professor of the one online class I wanted to take -- she's let me in! Woot! It's a course you can't enroll for without permission; and since all of my classes are upper level, there aren't that many online any more (well, not at my university). Since I'm taking five classes/17 credits it'll be real nice to be able to set my own hours for one course ...

I feel like the Little Engine ... two more semesters of undergrad work ... I can do it!

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#78 of 85 Old 08-26-2006, 02:25 PM

This is my last semester. I graduate in Dec.

That's all I want to say.
#79 of 85 Old 08-27-2006, 09:30 PM

i'm joining in!

MWF stats from 10-11
W child welfare at night from 6-830
TR adolescent psych 930-1045 and fundamentals of counseling 11-1215
:

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#80 of 85 Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 AM

I'm here.

I've got Leadership for Public Service on Tuesday, 7 - 10 pm
And Program Analysis and Evaluation on Wednesday, 7 - 10 pm

I'm in a Masters in Public Administration program, in addition to having a fulltime job, being a mom, and being a wife. Can anyone say, "Thank God for coffee"? This is my first semester taking 6 hours - we'll see how I hold up.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#81 of 85 Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley
This is my last semester. I graduate in Dec.

That's all I want to say.
DH graduates in Dec as well. He's student teaching now and LOVES it!
#82 of 85 Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB
I'm here.

I've got Leadership for Public Service on Tuesday, 7 - 10 pm
And Program Analysis and Evaluation on Wednesday, 7 - 10 pm

I'm in a Masters in Public Administration program, in addition to having a fulltime job, being a mom, and being a wife. Can anyone say, "Thank God for coffee"? This is my first semester taking 6 hours - we'll see how I hold up.
I've heard taking 6 is tough and that it's advised that you don't take any more than that?
#83 of 85 Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird_Mama
DH graduates in Dec as well. He's student teaching now and LOVES it!
I'm doing my internship (in social work) this semester too. Haven't started yet, but am getting excited about it.
#84 of 85 Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 AM

Nothing vould have prepared me for the amount of homework dished out at a university. Professors at community college are really doing students a disservice!

Every class meeting we generally have a new assignment to add to the assignment we received the class period before. Because I'm taking Lit classes I have loads of reading to do, it's hard to keep it all straight. Currently I am doing this:

-Reading Romeo and juliet
-Chaucer: Cantebury Tales (we just finished the ******'s tale and are starting on the Cook's Tale) In this class we also must complete pre-class writing's about the reading, we just finished one for the ******'s Tale. We were reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight concurrenty with Chaucer.
-Reading The Two Offers (African American Lit)
-Composing a Staging paper on Romeo and Juliet AND studying lines for a mini-play in Shakespeare
-Today I have a vocabulary test in Spanish (which is why I am on here now, to take the online practice quiz)
-Just finished a paper for Fitness Walking (can you imagine?!)

-Oh and I have an African American Lit paper due Monday that I haven't started on (I write better under pressure)

UGH!!!!

I've had to create a scheduled to manage every minute of my home time (Kailey gets a whopping 1.5 hours a day of play time with us) Granted she is so tired she falls asleep at 8 pm now
#85 of 85 Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 AM

And speaking of DH, he has curriculum planning each night and is fully exhausted. He works on the weekends so can't do it then so has been forced to stay up late completing each days lesson. I wish he didn't have to work, because it is really tiring and stressing him out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page