Daycare question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-25-2003, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting certified to do home daycare and I'm meeting with a potential client tomorrow. She has a newborn (6 weeks) and a 4 year old. She works 4 hr shifts 2-4 days a week- w/her commute, I'm thinking I will have the kids about 5-6 hrs a day. I was thinking of charging her $45 a day (25 for the newborn and 20 for the 4 year old). Does this seem excessive? If so, what do you think would be fair. I don't want to charge too much, but I still want to make some money.

My dh is apprehensive about me taking a newborn, thinks it will be too much. DD is almost 3 and he thinks taking toddlers only will be better. I think a newborn will be fine, so I'm meeting with her and think I'll approach this with a 2 week trial for both of our benefits. I'm sure it won't be a problem, but I want to give her an out, as well as me, if necessary.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#2 of 10 Old 03-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

Hello shelbean91!
I don't know where you are, but here daycare is $2.10 an hour for babies and $1.80 an hour for all other children. In the cities, it is $7.25 for children, I don't know what it is for infants, tho. In the past I have done in-home daycare and it is definitely not a job you make money at. I never made a profit, or the one month I did, I only profited $1.25. It is definitely something you do for the children and mothers. I loved doing daycare and probably would still be doing it, except I am now in college because I have always dreamed of being a doctor.
I hope this helps!
#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks-

I'm not looking to earn a lot of money, but just supplement what DH brings in. We've been cutting things VERY close over the past year since I've been SAHM.

Good luck with your college career- I plan on going back someday to be a teacher.

Thanks again.

#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 03:31 PM

I agree that it depends on where you are. I have a part-time caregiver when I travel to D.C. and she charges $35 a day/$150 per week for my DS (he was 8 months when she first kept him, now he's 15 months). I think that that is quite reasonable. I paid $9/hr when he had to visit a larger center for a few days due to scheduling conflicts. In Colorado, I pay $110 a week for 40 hours (I think that is $2.75/hr) for an in-home caregiver who watches 6 other kids. Again, I'm not complaining at all about the price, and it is somewhat less than the care I get in D.C.

My first reaction to your proposed fee is that it is quite reasonable, especially considering that you are flexible with her schedule and you will have a newborn. I paid $8/hr for my DS as an infant.

Oh, and a note about snacks and such. I provide lunch here in Colorado, but not in D.C. . I don't know how that would affect the cost, but some days I would pay $$$ to not to have to provide food. Other days, I am thankful that I do, because I like knowing that he's getting organic, etc..... Maybe that will be a consideration for her/you as well.

Good luck! It's challenging work!
#5 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 05:04 PM

At first I thought that was a little low, but then I did some math. We pay $465/mo for full-time daycare for Sam. This works out to $23.25/wk. He is three and we just had a rate adjustment/decrease of $10 on his birthday. Daycares tend to charge more for newborns. I think the newborn rate at our center is $525 this works out to $26.25 per day.

So, your rate sounds pretty good to me.
#6 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM

We pay $543/month to leave Nate from 6:30 to 3:30 five days a week. (Goddess, I hate even thinking about how long he's a daycare!) It works out to a little less than $27 a day; we'll pay that rate (the infant rate) until he's 18 months.

So your price seems good to me!

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
#7 of 10 Old 03-27-2003, 11:26 AM

We pay $162 per week, ds is there from around 7am - 3:30pm 5 days a week.
Thats about $32 per day. He gets Breakfast, snacks and lunch at the center.

Chelly
#8 of 10 Old 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM

We pay $180/wk w/ our 10% discount for five days a week - 8 am to 6 pm. Ds isn't there that long, but as long as he's there over four hours... same price.

We paid $200/wk again with a 10% employer discount when ds was an infant. Ds is now 2 1/2.

Don't forget: specify vacations, sick time, etc. We pay irregardless of ds is there or not.... though we do get two weeks free a year to have him not there and not pay... does that make sense?

I definitely don't think you're far off the mark. Don't short change yourself. While sometimes I cringe when I think of how much $$$ goes to day care, most sane people won't begrudge anyone from making a living wage, especially when they're in charge of their precious
#9 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 02:32 AM

Newborn care here is anywhere from 900 to 1200 per month.
#10 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm so amazed at the great variety I've found across the country in the cost. I still haven't been able to meet with her, she's had to reschedule twice. We're supposed to get together today- so we'll hopefully come to an agreement.

I will cover with her time off, etc. Again, I think I'll be pretty flexible with her b/c this is pretty close to my ideal situation. I just need a little bit of extra money, would prefer to only have one or 2 kids, and part time will allow me to still have time to do my other household stuff (shopping, errands, etc.) when it's not really crowded at the stores. I think it's the best of SAHM and WAHM.

The main reason I didn't go back to work after ds was b/c daycare would have eaten up most of my check. I wasn't the one carrying the med benefits, so I just need a little to supplement dh's income. We've been really scraping lately, so it will be nice to have a little extra.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page