Fall 2006 Student Mama Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 215 Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am thinking that semesters and quarters are quite a bit different? I am taking four classes on the quarter system and I had to get a signature for taking excessive credit. Granted it was only two hours over, but six classes would equal 30 credit hours of just in class time!
#62 of 215 Old 09-26-2006, 02:01 AM

Yep, I think with semester credits the usual is 3 a class and quarters it's usually 5... I think that sounds correct. For my bachelor's program, I need 120 hours. If that gives you an idea.

I'll be switching schools next fall though.:
#63 of 215 Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM

wow MamaChel - you've got a lot on your plate. i'm very sorry to hear about your mother.
just when i start to question if i can 'handle' it all, something or someone comes along to remind me how strong people can be and how much we can deal with when we have to.

much respect...
#64 of 215 Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2a&a View Post
Yep, I think with semester credits the usual is 3 a class and quarters it's usually 5... I think that sounds correct. For my bachelor's program, I need 120 hours. If that gives you an idea.

I'll be switching schools next fall though.:
Yep, it is 180 for us. Are you looking at Evergreen? I am going there next year, and maybe we would take the same class, since we have similar interests and the program is interdisciplinary
#65 of 215 Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
Yep, it is 180 for us. Are you looking at Evergreen? I am going there next year, and maybe we would take the same class, since we have similar interests and the program is interdisciplinary
Actually, I just started browsing their website, so that might be a real possibility. Also, I'm trying to convince my sil to come here and go to Evergreen for her Master's. She graduated from Ithaca not so long ago... I think Evergreen would be the perfect fit for her.
#66 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

hi all!

I start finals next week. I'm only worried about one and I don't think that it'll be too bad.

How's everyone else doing?

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#67 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Well how did I miss this thread?

Dunno.

I'm doing well. Still holding A's in both of my classes (Survey of Film, and Us. Federal Gov.) Gabe was born on the 20th and we're getting back into the groove of studying and classes. Or so I tell myself.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#68 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 03:02 PM

You ROCK Pynki! Congrats on the babe and the classes. I took Film Studies last year adn I loved it!
#69 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM

Well, I don't know that I rock, but thanks.

I'm actually enjoying the Gov. material better than the film class. It strikes me as odd too! I SO thought I would enjoy the film class more.

Yesterday my DH told me he could see me going on to being a professor when I'm all done with classes and everything. Apparently, I'm just booky enough for Academia. I think he just likes that I argue with other people instead of him when I'm in class!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#70 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 06:13 PM

I'll join in, I'm not the one in school but my SO is, he's a junior and taking 21 credits. Our baby is due in March right in the middle of the semester and knowing how swamped he already is with school, I have no idea how we're going to handle it all!
#71 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Does anyone want to do my survey? It is a research paper on Calcium. It's 10 questions on what you know about calcium. Feel free to pass it on. I can get up to 100 replies and then I'll have to start emailing it.

Calcium survey

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#72 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

survey taken! hope you get your 100 responses quickly.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#73 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 PM

Taking the survey,
when you say, "what are sources of calcium", do you mean what do i think are sources of calcium or what sources of calicium do i eat? I am thinking it is the first one because you have some food that dont have calcium and you want to find out what peopleknow, is that right?
#74 of 215 Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM

I'm just being a little bit tricky.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#75 of 215 Old 10-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I took the survey.

I *was* a student from spring 2003-this summer. However, with financial aid and moving, I am holding off until we move again this summer or find a good online program.

I was redirected here from TAO. I think that I am going to do an online program from Oregon State U. starting this Winter or Spring. I just need to decide which one.

Which reminds me-I'm supposed to be deciding right now.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#76 of 215 Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM

I'm a SAHM to a 9 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. This will be my first time going to school with kids, and also doing anything besides just hanging out with them. I will be doing everything at home. It is an online degree through one of our state universities. I now have 101 credits and will be trying to get my Bachelor's.

I am now 33 and started this whole thing when I was 18. I did take 7 years off though.
Heather

Mama to 9 year-old girl , and a 7 year-old boy :, and my big little 6 year-old boy, and a 4 year-old boy
#77 of 215 Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Dar

I took it, but I feel stupid about calcium now...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#78 of 215 Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Dmitrizmom, how do you like chiropractic school, if you don't mind me asking? I was originally pre-med but I am so burnt out on the current medical system. I want something "more" than a nursing degree : . I worked as a tech and in clinics and an andrology lab, and I know that I will get burnt out quickly on the admin. bs in the hospital as a nurse.

I have been to a chiropractor before, and it was great. He fixed my back like magic. I used to live pretty close to Logan and was thinking about trying to move back that way and looking into the school. Do you know any links that detail practice limitations, etc.?

#79 of 215 Old 10-07-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826
Dmitrizmom, how do you like chiropractic school, if you don't mind me asking?
Don't mind at all! I like it alot. The first year was really intense - all the facts to memorize, labs, written exams, etc... The class load at Palmer is 29-32 hours per trimester (yep, double the load at a university and it feels like it). We go year round, I don't know about Logan tho. During the second year, it's more application and technique classes with practical and written exams. The third year is almost entirely clinical.
Here are links to the Palmer curricular schedule: http://www.palmer.edu/PCC_Academics/...curricular.pdf
and the Logan curricular schedule:
http://www.logan.edu/pdf/logan_catal...%20schedule%22 (more of a catalog listing, look around page 20)

I'm currently completing 8th Trimester (only 2 weeks until the trimester is done). I have 2 trimesters left - and the second one of those I have the option of precepting with a "field doc" - to get some practical experience on how an average office runs. I haven't decided if I'm going to precept because of family obligations - ds started kindergarten this fall. He finishes kg, the day before I graduate.

To get licensed in most states you have to have passed all four parts of National Board and the Physiotherapy board. Parts I and II have 6 exams each, Part III has 2 exams, and Part IV is the practical examination with simulated patients. More info here.

Quote:
Do you know any links that detail practice limitations, etc.?
That's hard to do as the scope of practice varies from state to state... In Oregon you have to take an extra class in Proctology and Minor Surgery for licensure - some DCs out there can handle fractures, stitches, OB work... In Illinois, DCs can manage fractures, reduce dislocations. In Iowa, we can't reduced dislocations or manage fractures, but we can adjust extremities. In Michigan, DCs can only adjust the spine and aren't allowed to do any adjunctive therapies. Most of the Chiropractic schools, to my understanding, have a department that keeps track of all the licensing requirements for their students. The one at Palmer does a good job and has requirements (in our cafeteria - some light lunch readig) posted for all 50 states and (I think) 30 other countries.

#80 of 215 Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM

That is awesome! Thank you. I didn't realize that states varied so widely.

#81 of 215 Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM

I am having major procrastination issues... i can't stop it.. i try to get things done but other things pop up...

Must do bio homework...
Must do bio homework

Must get off MDC...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#82 of 215 Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

: I resemble that.... I need to get off the computer and study for finals. :

#83 of 215 Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 PM

I have mideterms for the next two weeks. One of my classes is taught by four different professors and they don't always get the required info to the class. That exam should be interesting.

I rarely get online anymore, those occasions when the children are otherwise occupied are when I get some work done. I keep reminding myself that this is the *easy* part. Taking a full courseload next year with the 400 hr internship is the hard part. Hope everyone is having a good term!
#84 of 215 Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 PM

its starting to get busy now... projects upon projects and reasearch assignments are due... im getting a little scared...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#85 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Dar

We have Fall Break...a new concept for me. It means we get today and tomorrow off... but I only have one, 75-minute class during those days, so it doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. And, of course, I have a take-home midterm essay test to keep me busy...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#86 of 215 Old 10-14-2006, 12:34 PM

I just finished my first rotation of nursing school (med/surg) and learned so much and really enjoyed it. I worked in the Medical Surgical Abdominal Transplant unit and learned a LOT about liver and pancreatic transplants and a lot of various pathos as well (sickle cell, Crohns, HepC, etc patients). It's amazing to see people who are no longer diabetics because they are walking around with new pancreases. Amazing.

I also got to be involved with my first code (someone dying). This man who was a liver patient had been unconsious all day and then just suddenly coded--blood was coming out of his bottom and his mouth and his BP was dropping fast and it was very scarey to see but at the same time it was amazing how all the nurses worked together to keep him from dying (and what do Dr's do? lol) and we got him over to ICU where he is now stabilized. Most liver patients have no clotting factors.

Now I am on to my Psych rotation for the next 8 weeks and the semester will be over. I'm doing good in the classroom as well with A's and B's.

I've worked a couple of days in the ER for clinicals and am trying to get a part time job as an aid or a tech in there here soon. If your a student you basically work when you want and it's self sign up for shifts which is really nice....that way around tests I just wont schedual myself.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#87 of 215 Old 10-15-2006, 02:19 AM

Hey, ladies, just checking in while I have a brief second between the kids and studying for midterms!!:

It looks as though we're moving to South Lake Tahoe, Cali, in a few weeks. I'm looking at schools and would like to go the the University of Nevada at Reno. Just wondering if anyone else has gone there and what their experiences were??

The feedback would be helpful.
#88 of 215 Old 10-16-2006, 09:53 PM

I start my clinicals on Halloween... im soo excited and nervous.. i have alot to get done b4 clinicals start.. including projects...

busy busy busy .. and im still working 30 hrs in a pay period...

#89 of 215 Old 10-20-2006, 12:27 AM

I am sooooo sick of school. Not even half way through the semester and I am totally burnt out. I have not had enough sleep in weeks, I haven't eaten a really good homecook meal in weeks.

Mamas, how do you get all of your school work done and the housework and the mama time?

I have TWO exams tomorrow morning and I am here because I can't even face studying. Yikes. I am so going to regret this when I go to write my essays.

Wish me luck and a little sleep. Not too much though because next week I have two papers due. I can't believe I have two semesters left. Can't I just be done already?
#90 of 215 Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 AM

Well, the housework doesn't get done in our house!

I am totally overwhelmed too - right now just taking a break from homework to distract myself with MDC. This semester is particularly rough because of the amount of group projects. Coordinating schedules with other people makes for such a mess when we are all non-traditional students. Plus I'm typically the one to shoulder most of the burden of the group projects.

Tonight I made a calendar that has all the projects for BOTH classes and their deadlines. So I can at least see when I will definitely be pulling my hair out or when I could potentially catch up on housework/cooking.

Good luck tomorrow! Sweet dreams!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page