Fall 2006 Student Mama Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 215 Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just found this thread and I just had to post because I'm feeling so overwhelmed and it seems like you all might be the only ones who understand.

I'm 30 and just started an MA in History and have a full grad courseload, plus I'm a Teaching Assistant for a first year history course. Ds# is 4 and Ds#2 is 14mos. And dh doesn't really want me to be in school, so I can't count on him for support. He'd rather I go back to work and make money so we can buy a house. (last thing on my mind!)

I love being back in acadamia, but I just don't have the time to dive into it the way I need/want to. I want to quit my TA position, but this brings $5000/semester and dh refuses to let me quit. He says the money outweighs the value in loss of quality of my academic work. I'm feeling like it's going to ruin me and any chances of furthering my education beyond an MA. So frustrating!

Anywho, if only I could have that extra 15hrs a week (that's what my TA position takes up on average).... I'm going to keep working on dh.

Thanks for listening to me complain. It's nice to know you're out there

Cheers,
lilgreen
#122 of 215 Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lilgreen, that sounds like a really tough situation.

if only there were more hours in the week...lol.
#123 of 215 Old 10-29-2006, 05:02 PM

Wow Lilgreen, I wsh I had some advise for you. I am sure this must be quite a stressful time for you, just remember to take time for yourself. is there anyway you can work a few hours less?
#124 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 AM

27 minutes until I can register!

I'm all anxious!:
#125 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM

Lilgreen, that does sound difficult and stressful. I'm sorry your husband seems so unsupportive of your endeavors. Here's to the second half of the semester going quickly!

Go PottyDiva! What did you register for, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't even know when I can register since my school hasn't put that info up yet. :
#126 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

lilgreen - that is a difficult situation. I hope that you can bring your dh around to understanding the value of your education.

PottyDiva - Inquiring minds want to know - whatcha taking?

Mamaley - Congrats!!! WTG. And FWIW, my dd and ds do the same things and it breaks my heart; but I know that it will get better once I'm done with school.

And my news.... I passed boards, only Part IV left to do in May... and I passed well enough that I meet the requirements for every state - no just the bare minimums. 9th Tri starts for me tomorrow. I have 5 classes and 20 hours of clinical work a week. Still working in the Micro lab 10 hours a week.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#127 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Hey all!

I thought I posted my classes? I guess that was on a friends facebook. I am considering swapping a class, but this is what I am registered for (gotta love online early registration!)

The Americas in early Modern British Literature
Aspects of the English Language
Foundations of Education
Principles of Literary Study
Early Adolescent through Young Adult Development
15 credits instead of 18, but I think this will work better with the hree classes that require observations. I will have MWF mornings open for these.

I dropped Literacy and Reading and Educationl Psychology. The Lit class would cut into observations (I have three classes that require them) and I have to be admitted into the School of Eduation before I can take the ED PSY class.

Dmit~ WOOHOO for passing boards! You go girl!

Now that MND is done I have to start on Hamlet. This is just a one page- thank goodness. Then I have a 4-6 page essay due on the 3rd for African American Lit. I am so excited fro next semester!

I take Praxis 1 this coming semester as well. OY OY OY!
#128 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM

I'm taking two classes this fall... then spring.... I'm taking four plus my practicum.... thrilled but worried.... graduate in May. I am really excited!
#129 of 215 Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 PM

I registered last week for next semester. I'm taking:
Human Behavior in the Social Environment II
Generalist Practice Methods II
Social Welfare
Marriage and the Family
15 credits, shouldn't be too bad.

I'm still stressing about my last midterm, I won't know how poorly I did until Wed.
#130 of 215 Old 11-04-2006, 07:16 AM

I'm envious of those who have registered already. I can't register for Spring until 2 weeks from now. Boo to Willy P (nickname for my school).

Mamas, I need some advice, please. Apparently it's now become obvious to others that my mothering is a little off since starting school. I've been really feeling badly about how I don't have that creative spark with my daughters anymore since starting at my new school. I used to talk up (future) homeschooling all the time, now I'm unsure if that will even be possible since it's going to take me forever to finish and it's a must that I attend daytime classes as a music major (so I will need for my girls to go somewhere). I don't do all the little crafts I used to do with them anymore and in general, I am short of patience with them. It's almost like I've forgotten how toddlers/preschoolers behave and I just cannot stand their antics. I yell, I get annoyed with them and I am becoming less AP as time goes on, and I'm sure it has to do with the stress of school. At the library yesterday, I was pretty stern with my 2.5 year old so we left abruptly and later on my friend emailed me about it to see what was up with me. She said I didn't seem like myself, so I guess it's becoming obvious that my mothering is changing for the worse.

I don't want to quit school because finishing my degree in music has been my dream, but how do I return to being a better, more focused mother? Has anyone gone through this? I love my children intensely and I'm not Mommy Dearest all the time, but I have moments where I'm just not proud of who I am as a parent. Help!
#131 of 215 Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 PM

FroNuff, s. It's hard work handling everything at the same time. No advice that I can think of other than maybe you can find a way to refresh? I *have* to have some time away to keep me sane.

As the semester goes on, I just want it to end already! Soon, right?

I'm so ready to register for next semester though! I've somehow survived moving across country, buying a house, AND taking five classes this semester. I'm going with five again next time, but I'm not sure which five. I really want to take Social Change and that's about the only class on my list.

So on the 9th @ 3:30, I'll be stalking the uni's site!
#132 of 215 Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 AM

LOL! Just changed my schedule again and I think I am really happy with it this time! Really, I promise.

This semester seems to be coming together nicely. I am getting the hang of the homework routine at my new college and just home is working out well too. My house is staying ok-clean. I'm giving up my ideals for now.

We come home, put our things immediately away, tidy up any laundry or what not we need to do, get dinner finished (Mark gets home first so he starts it), eat dinner, play a little, give kailey a bath, braid her hair, talk a bit, read two stories, and wa-la, we are done for the evening. Well, then it's on to homework.

One thing I have started doing with Kailey is to wash her hair at night and braid it so there are no tangles to work through in the morning and she doesn't go out with wet hair and get cold. We pick clothes out at night so that isn't a problem (even though she wears a uniform we still freak over pants/skirts/shorts :LOL:

mum2a&a~ that sounds so overwhelimg and I am so happy for you that things are going great for you- congratulations!!!
#133 of 215 Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Yes! Only 4 more weeks of school (plus finals week)! I am so ready for christmas break. I just need some time to do nothing but lay around and read a book and watch a lot of stupid tv...LOL

I'm in my psych rotation right now, working with schizos and the like, it is CRAZY!!! Like something out of a movie. I love it! I had a paranoid schizo try to attack my last night because she saw me reading her chart and doesn't like that (it was a full moon!).

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#134 of 215 Old 11-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel View Post
Social Welfare
Marriage and the Family

I'm still stressing about my last midterm, I won't know how poorly I did until Wed.
hope you did okay on your midterm.
i'm also in school for social work - this is my third and last year of the MSW program. my ds is 4 and i'm 11 wks pregnant. : i take 3 classes (right now it's psychosocial pathology, groupwork practice I and social dimensions of AIDS) and have 21hrs/week of fieldwork. next semsester will be more fieldwork, values & ethics, policy and groupwork II plus the exam to graduate. yikes!

it's been a challenging semester so far but hopefully things will be a little easier now that i'm feeling better. i'm trying to stay on top of stuff so i don't have to go too crazy when final papers come around but i should be writing right now and here i am on mdc so...

it's great to see so many student mamas here
when i start to doubt my ability to manage everything, it's inspiring to know that so many others are doing it too!

keep up the good work ladies...
#135 of 215 Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetisadora View Post
hope you did okay on your midterm.
i'm also in school for social work - this is my third and last year of the MSW program. my ds is 4 and i'm 11 wks pregnant.
Thanks, I passed with an 87.

I'm having a hard enough time now, I can't imagine finishing up a Master's while pg. Good luck to you!
#136 of 215 Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel View Post
Social Welfare
Marriage and the Family

I love social work classes. I'm about to graduate with my bsw and I got all warm and fuzzy reading your list. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Dmitriz, thank you for the congrats!!
#137 of 215 Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 PM

I want this semester to end. Not because I hate it but because I am suddenly so tired. I need that Thanksgiving break and then Christmas break. Oy! Anybody with me?
#138 of 215 Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 AM

:

Woot woot for Social Work! I'm almost a sophomore in the pre-social work program at UK. I love it, though I've just started and already feel overwhelmed sometimes.

Can't register for my classes until Tuesday morning, 7AM.
#139 of 215 Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley View Post
I love social work classes. I'm about to graduate with my bsw and I got all warm and fuzzy reading your list. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Congrats! I am so excited, the SW staff at my school is fantastic. I'm a nerd too.
#140 of 215 Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

bump

I'm back in the thick of things... Regulatory Issues, Evidence Based Chiropractic, Philosophy, Healthy Aging (AKA Geriatrics), Practice Management and Planning, Case Correlations II and Clinic II for a total of 30 hours. I'm still working 5-8 hours a week in the micro lab and started working as a Clinical Teaching Assistant about 10 hours a week...

I went to a conference the end of October and had a blast. It was 4 nights with a full size bed to myself.... ahhhh heaven. Dd is now weaned at 39 months (althought she has asked a couple times in the last week, I know that for us it is time to be done). I'm making sure to still keep our snuggle time together tho.

I'm off to get some soup and go to sleep. Hope y'all are doing good.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#141 of 215 Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 AM

Is anyone here in the pre-med or MD program? I'm a social work major, and while I enjoy it, the thought of switching to pre-med has been weighing heavily on my mind. I'm still technically a freshman, so I guess I have plenty of time to changes majors. I dunno though. It's such a huge decision and an even bigger commitment. What if I switch, get into med school and realize that I'm not smart enough?

Any feedback/opinions is greatly appreciated
#142 of 215 Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 AM

Oh man. I am so exhausted right now. With four major projects due in the next two weeks, a huge exam coming up, and almost no sleep for weeks my immune system is not happy with me right now. I can't wait for THanksgiving to get here, that's several days in a row when I can sleep in.

Then, I found out that I was chosen as the VP of our SW "club". This is wonderful, as active participation in the club is necessary for a nomination into the Honor Society and the club is just not active at the moment. I hope to change that as soon as we can deal with our communication issues.
#143 of 215 Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Congrats, MamaChel! It sounds like a great honor to be the VP. I hope you get the changes done that you'd like to do. (And I hope you get the sleep you're craving.)

I finally registered yesterday and today, in between being a clumsy butt, falling down and going to the hospital for an x-ray. : My schedule is bound to change and is so much lighter than the rest of you ladies, but here goes:

Recital hour - Thurs. 12:30pm
Music Theory II - Tues. & Thurs. 2-3:15pm
Flute Ensemble - TBA (hopefully this meets on Friday afternoons)
Intro to Literature - an online class because I'm really bad with online classes
Racism & Sexism in the US - Tues & Thurs. 11am-12:15pm (I think)
Flute lesson - TBD

I'm trying to decide if I'll add Concert Band, but I'm unsure since it would mean my daughters would be in the school childcare longer than I'd like.
#144 of 215 Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM

Hi joining in and subbing!
I register today for:
Monday night communication
Tuesday and thursday Native American anthropology
english comp
Tues night Western Civ 1

Im looking forward to it, I love history and comp is pretty easy for me, Communications however Im alittle nervous about. Im good at public speaking but putting together a presentation... a whole 'nother thing!
#145 of 215 Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcaniclava
Im good at public speaking but putting together a presentation... a whole 'nother thing!
You've got the harder part done then! I can put together a presentation, but man, I HATE speaking to a large group. and to the student mama thread!

MamaChel - congrats on the VP. I can so relate to the projects/exam stuff. s I know you can get it done. And thank goodness for the 4 day break/study opportunity provided by Thanksgiving.

FroNuff - did you break anything? or was it bruises etc? Hope you're feeling better this afternoon.

#146 of 215 Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Nope, didn't break anything, thankfully. Just bruised myself up a bit. Yesterday, I was sore, but today is MUCH better. Thanks for asking.

Volcaniclava, I'm envious of your ability to speak in public! I can't speak in public to save my life. (and playing flute in public isn't much better, sad to say)
#147 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 12:08 AM

I'm just starting to apply to transfer. I'm hoping to get into the University of Washington in Seattle.

I'm working on my paper that goes along with my application. I'm just curious if you have done this...what did you write about. It gives some suggestions and I'm confident in my abilities. I do worried about seeming to mommy like...ya know.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#148 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLobsterTV View Post
Is anyone here in the pre-med or MD program? I'm a social work major, and while I enjoy it, the thought of switching to pre-med has been weighing heavily on my mind. I'm still technically a freshman, so I guess I have plenty of time to changes majors. I dunno though. It's such a huge decision and an even bigger commitment. What if I switch, get into med school and realize that I'm not smart enough?

Any feedback/opinions is greatly appreciated

You still have a long ways to go. Just start by taking classes, you don't have to commit to anything at this point. I was pre-med for 3 years and then decided MD/DO life wasn't for me and switched to Nursing which I love. I plan to go to PA/NP school next.

Have you been to mommd.com? Excellent site!

#149 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 07:52 PM

Is school over yet?!

I love nursing school but I am soooo ready for a break. I have been so busy with so many tests here lately and clinicals as well. I'm in Psych clinicals, working with schizophrenics, etc which I LOVE. It is soooo fascinating, they are special individuals.

BUt the good thing is I haven't gained a SINGLE POUND this semester! LOL

#150 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Is school over yet?!
BUt the good thing is I haven't gained a SINGLE POUND this semester! LOL
I lost 7:

I've been applying for my transfer and I'm so burnt out. Our quarter is over on December 1 and then I have a finals week. But, I have one take home, one final paper and an exam on the last day. So, all I have to do that last week is go in and drop off papers. Then we get a break till January 2.

On my break I get my wisdom teeth out. I'm so not looking forward to that.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page