Mothering Forum banner

Fall 2006 Student Mama Thread

9K views 214 replies 51 participants last post by  Pynki 
#1 ·
Welcome to the fall thread!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaley
I'm here, after a whole summer off. I have a seminar and a full time internship this semester. To be honest, I'm nervous.

And then...I graduate. After 8 years of this, lol.

Looking forward to a good semester with my fellow student mamas
I definitely understand the nervous part!
I've been in college, with the exception of about 1.5 years, since 1991.
I'll be done in June 2007 (really truly done!!!). I figure that 4 degrees is enought for me.
:
:

Still working on figuring out where I want to set up practice - dh wants to go to the UK (he'll be a SAHD if we do). I'm actually getting kind of excited about the prospect.
Terrified, but excited.

#4 ·
We're going through a lot of changes too...Dh finishes his ph.d around the same time you do, and then we will move where ever he gets a faculty position. I'm both excited and terrified about moving somewhere new, and not knowing where it will be.

And congrats on being so close to finishing after all these years!! Wow!

#5 ·
Subbing...

I'm starting my first full-time semester with the babe and he's starting his first real daycare experience soon. Eek! I'm hoping to not be too stressed out, I'm really looking forward to my classes tho. I'm a Latin American Studies major and am taking classes with 2 Peruvian professors, which is great because I want to do fieldwork and then live in Peru.

4 degrees, wow! What are the other three? Exciting idea with the move to the UK--I'm always dreaming about leaving the US.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by la mamita
What are the other three?
B.A. Philosophy, Law and Rhetoric (1994, Stephens College)
B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering (2000, U Iowa)
M.S. Environmental Engineering (2002, U Iowa)

and of course, #4
D.C. Doctor of Chiropractic (2007, Palmer)

The discussions between me and dh has been along the lines of:
me: where do you want to go?
dh: where ever you want to go.

We initially narrowed it down to 4 states in the US, but neither one of us had much enthusiasm for them. Kind of a shrug and ok, whatever. I found an associate position listed in the UK, mentioned it in passing to dh and he is more enthused than I have seen him in the last 4 years. Part of the deal is that with staying home he gets to start painting again (oils and acrylics).

#8 ·
I can completely relate to those conversations. Of course, we only act like we have some say in where we end up, I can't imagine actually getting to choose. That would almost be more difficult! But looking at the lists of places that have positions open, non sound very appealing. Either too expensive, or too conservative...

#9 ·
I am so happy to be going back to school. I took some time off to be with my son...3 years..lol. I am still working on my associates. I just got my credit evaluation back and I will have it next quarter!! YAY!!!

I have a good deal going too. My friend and I have decided to babysit. When she is in class I will watch her daughter and visa versa. It works out because none of our classes are at the same time and most of mine can be taken online. So no worries about daycare.

#10 ·
Hey Ladies-
Just wanted to let you know that I subscribed to this thread because I am trying to decided when and where to get my master's. I am learning a lot about how you all do it while taking care of your children, which is my main concern.
I am a single mom of an almost 3 y/o daughter, and I work, so I'm just a bit nervous about how I'm going to fit it all in.
I hope you don't mind if I just kind of lurk and learn??

Thanks!

#11 ·
I'm in my fourth year for a Ph.D. and fortunately do not have to teach this semester. I'm just taking one class, Stats.

My dd should be here in late december, so here I'm hopping for a nice easy semester (yeah alright!).

I'm curious about babysitting and daycare, when should I start on the waiting lists?

#14 ·

school doesn't start for me until Sept 7th... still yelling and screaming and trying to figure financial aid out... i was supposed to get it this thurs.. now they are saying not til Sept 5th...
:

I am going to nursing school.. 1st year... im excited and the girls at work have been drilling me..

#17 ·
Going to teacher's college here!

DS (9mos) and I have been doing LOTS of visitng with the daycare in preparation for starting F/T on Tuesday (Sept 5th)!

I think I was most anxious about daycare, but have since calmed my nerves and feel confident with his care. I'm looking forward to getting busy, and thinking, and interacting with other people. As much as I've enjoyed it, this year off has caused a bit of cabin fever!

We're going back to visit the daycare tomorrow afternoon, so I think I'll go in early and pick up a few textbooks I'll need.

I'm looking forward to getting this year over with so we can go whever the work blows...either out West to the Mountains or up North. Looking for a nice small town surrounded by nature so we can be self-sufficient, but still involved with a community.
I can't wait!!!

#18 ·

I just started my first full week of the semester. (Classes started last Wed.) This semester should be pretty good. All of my courses are in one of my majors. I'm double majoring in nuclear engineering and women's studies. They've only met once so far, but I'm really excited about 2 of them. Gender in Society should have some pretty interesting discussions. The prof seems to encourage class discussion rather than just lecture. Women's Health could go either way. THe book has be very encouraged that I'll like it, but the maturity of the other students worries me a bit. Before class they were being all giggly and acted shocked by the chidbirth and breastfeeding pics.

#20 ·
I've been a SAHM for awhile, but I'm going back to school this semester. I'm taking an online RN refresher course. So far things are going well. This semester I just do theory and next semester I do clinical hours. I should be able to start working again next spring/summer.

#21 ·
Another student mama here!
:

I've been going to school since fall 2001, and I've still got a loooong way to go.
But I took a year off with DS, and then changed my major from biological engineering to nursing (eventually going to be a CNM).

I've been back since Aug 15, and this semester seems a lot more mellow than the spring was, thank goodness. But after a nice four-month summer break, it feels kinda good to be busy again!

(Now I need to take heed of my sig and get back to the chapter I was reading
)

#22 ·
Hi

I'm here still pluggin away at a nursing degree.
Seems I'm taking the 5 year path to a 2 year nursing degree.

God willing, I'll be an LPN in May and then bridge over and be an RN in May '08. Seems to be taking forever.
Tomorrow we are back at clinicals in the hospital and I'm getting really nervous. We are getting two patients each and will be giving as much care as we possibly can, except for narcotics. We've only had 4 clinicals days total and that was last semester. The most I did was give shots and meds, so tomorrow is really gonna be something......
: I feel like I don't remember anything!

Anyhow, hope y'all have a great semester!

#23 ·
Hi there. I'm in my senior year of a graphic design degree and TTC.

I too had financial aid frustration. We got married a year ago (after being together for 5 years) so my fafsa this year showed both mine and my husbands income. Unfortunately, he made just enough that the feds have pulled my pell and seog *sigh* Went from having 98% of my tuition covered to 20%. grr.

Anyway, classes started last week. And I have classes 4 nights a week until 6pm. I was wondering - are any of ya'll out there ttc? If so, how do you find the time? I'm somewhat tired after classes all day, and my dh doesnt get home till 6:30 or 7 and is tired. The last thing we seem to be interested in is TTC.

#25 ·
Hi Mamas,
I'm a Sociology major and am finially a senior after going to school off and on since '91. This semester is my first back after having ds a year ago. I'm taking freshman Biology because I had transfer credits that didn't transfer
:
: and that is all this sem. I really miss my my major classes. I'm having a hard time getting excited over material that's already been covered in previous classes, though it will be good for the GPA. I look forward to chatting w/ you mamas if any of us can find the time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.