UPDATE! I quit my job!! (Originally: Have I made the worst decision of my life?) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ARGH!!! Just when I think we've got things figured out...

DH is applying for elementary teaching jobs. We'd kind of like to move out of state.

He won't get his license til December... Some places will take apps before you have your license in hand, others won't.

Long story short - if he gets a (good!) job that starts mid-year - rare, but it does happen, right? - then I'll feel really good about quitting... but if he doesn't, he said he'd be happy to be the SAHP until the end of the school year so that I would feel better about working.

The really good thing is that it would mean I'd have a paycheck through the summer and benefits, too, and we'd have the freedom to travel around looking for jobs and places to live...

It would be much easier to work knowing that the babes were home with DH, but I'd still miss them. What to DO????

DH is wonderful with the kids, loves CDs and would even bring them to school at lunch time to visit. That might just make life bearable....

I'm so confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 09-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Just a small thing to consider, if you do want to teach again someday, having a year of experience under your belt would be helpful. On the other hand, leaving mid-year is not looked upon favorably by other employers, as they fear you might leave them in the lurch, so to speak.

Most employers know that if you leave a teaching job mid-year, it can be because you "couldn't take the stress".

About 10 years ago, I stayed in a hell school (I mean HELL) for the whole year for this very reason. The next year I was hired at a well respected, excellent high school and have been there since (but I still have kids with attitudes)

If you feel you don't want to teach again, disregard this advice!
#33 of 46 Old 09-17-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

consider the advice disregarded but thank you!!!
#34 of 46 Old 09-23-2006, 10:49 PM

I had to resign from my job on Friday. The worst part is that I had to do it by e-mail, because I looked all over the school for the department head, the vice principal and the principal, and couldn't find any of them. I wonder what Monday morning will be like....
#35 of 46 Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

ohmygoodness!
I'm doing the same thing on Monday (but I have an appt with the principal). I wonder how long I'll have to keep working after I quit? I mean, I know 30 days, but I hope they already know of someone who can teach my classes.

Wishfull thinking probably, right?

I had decided that I'd stick it out, but my babies are really suffering, and I miss them so badly that I can hardly force myself to leave in the morning. I just can't be away from them any more!

How long will it be before you get to leave your job... and, what pushed you over the edge?
#36 of 46 Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 PM

I am a special education teacher, and the principal was telling me that I could not pull kids out of their regular classes to work on their IEP goals. She wants me to use grade level curriculum for kids who are 3-4 years below grade level, and "modify" it in my spare time, as I have no planning time (oh wait, I have 20 minutes a day to plan individually designed instruction for 11 kids in 5 subject areas!!). I told her that I was supposed to be half time and have been working close to 7hours most days. Her response was, "This is a hard job." I have been paying out more in childcare than I have been making.

And no one from the building came to my last IEP meeting, which I came to work an hour early for and had to practically drag my daughter out of bed and run her over to daycare for. And I gave a few reminders to all.

So, she is asking me to break the law by not following kids IEP's, dismissing my concerns, and telling me that pulling students out to help them learn the skills they need is "disrupting learning" of regular ed students. I talked to the district's human resources about the situation, and they said I can leave whenever I want, give no notice, and still get another job in the district. So I will offer her tomorrow or Wednesday as my last day.

She never checks her e-mail, or her mailbox (although she swears she does, so I continue to try to contact her those ways to have documentation), so I will probably be announcing it for the first time to her tomorrow. But it felt good to have that e-mail written before the weekend - at least I felt like I did something. I am pretty nervous about tomorrow. But I have to focus on my sanity and my kids.

As she has not let me do anything for my students, I don't feel that my leaving will impact them too much, but it will certainly put a fire under the administration's butts to change their ways or at least put a real effort into hiring someone who is full time. And I am sure that there are plenty of certified special education teachers sitting around who haven't been hired yet for the year.....: I can't believe she is doing this. Maybe she enjoys chaos.

There are a bazillion other issues as well - with the district's human resources and the central special ed. administration. I am not sure I can work for the district at all. I think I am just going to volunteer in my son's classroom and watch carefully. I am so disappointed. I am a big advocate of public education (still am, in theory),and I really thought that despite it's problems, the district was really trying to do well. I have experienced gross ineptitude at every turn. And I think very little of it can be blamed on funding or the fact that there are a lot of low income students.

L.
#37 of 46 Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck today... it sounds like you have more than enough reasons to quit!

I'm so nervous about my meeting today that I haven't been able to sleep or eat. I'm forcing cereal down right now...
#38 of 46 Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 AM

OMG, I haven't been able to sleep or eat, either. I have lost 5 pounds in the last two weeks. I am afraid to eat, because I don't think I will be able to keep it down. I have 6 years of teaching experience, and this is the only job that has made me physically ill and unable to sleep. And so angry I am perpetually tingling.

Best of luck with your meeting. I'll check in here this afternoon.

L.
#39 of 46 Old 09-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Well, I am already home. Done. The principal said she got my e-mail and refused to talk to me, other than to say, while gritting her teeth, "You've made a choice." After that, it was so easy to walk out that door. But I cried after I said goodbye to my kids. It is going to be a tough year for them.

L.
#40 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I did it! I quit!

I can't believe this, but the administration was sooo supportive. They felt that my family should be my first priority. The person at central office actually said that I could have brought my son to school.

I gave 30 days, but rumor has it that a sub will be brought in soon (because it's cheaper!) and I'm unhappy about that because my classes are difficult to control under the best of circumstances. The administration is really going to have their hands full. I feel pretty badly about dropping the ball on them, but I really need to be back with my babies!

L, I hope you're loving your time at home. I can't imagine how relieved I'll feel when this nightmare is finally over! Everyone keeps telling me that the kids are really resilient and will be fine without me - I hope your students will be okay, too. You've made the right decision!
#41 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Good for you both!! Wish you could have a party together!!

#42 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 AM

Yay, Daekini!

Thanks! I have really been thankful to be home most of yesterday and all of today. However, I did get a call from a principal saying that someone ( I think from Human Resources) called her and said that I was someone that they wanted to keep in the district, and did she want to talk to me about her .5 resource teacher position. So that felt good.

I am not sure I will look too heavily into it, as it is a longer commute, but it's nice to know that I still may be wanted.

I feel a bit of a failure, having been pretty excited to return to work, readjust my whole life, announce my new situation to everyone, then leave after 3 weeks. Intellectually, I know I made the right decision, but it is still a let-down. But I am so glad to be out of that last situation. I react very physically to bad situations, and I was a mess.

L.
#43 of 46 Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Please see update in the original post... thanks mamas!
#44 of 46 Old 10-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Sounds good, Daekini! I actually just finished my outline of concerns to present at my exit interview. Yes, I woke up at 6, on a Sunday, thinking about work that I no longer have (and haven't had for two weeks). That's how disturbing the experience was.

Witnessing what the district was NOT doing for kids with special needs was truly scary. I hope that by doing an exit interview, I can do some good. And if it feels that I haven't done any good, I may write a really long e-mail to the superintendent.

I think often about my students and what they need and what they are not getting. And sometimes I feel guilty about leaving, but the bottom line was, they were not going to get what they needed, me there or not, and I couldn't be an accomplice in the shoddy services being given to them. The guilt of that was totally eroding my mental and physical health.

I am still sitting here in disbelief that a district which still has unfilled positions advertised for 15 special education teachers, a month into the school year, just threw one away.

L.
#45 of 46 Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

you're right - they're crazy. I hope you'll find a place that recognizes your true value!
#46 of 46 Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Yay! Congrats! I am very excited for you.

User Tag List