Dream career? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's yours?

Mine is CNM, which is a decent possibility down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Mine would be travelling all over the world with my children to observe how children are taught and then writing about it freelance while making enough money to support us, dress us in beautiful clothes, and feed us rich delicious healthy food.

My husband can come too but he's so scared of change that I think he'd drive me nuts.
#3 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Owning a stable of therapy horses to help disabled children. I am going to *try* and find the time to volunteer at one next summer to see what its like. Someone kick me in the butt next Spring will ya!
#4 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM

I would love to own a bookstore, with a little coffee/tea area for customers (and comfortable sofas to sit on, not those hard chairs). I would have art on the walls for independent artists to sell, separate areas that sells rocks, candles, trinkets, aromatherapy stuff.

*sigh*
#5 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM

I really want to teach Art History (Renaissance and Medieval), and Studio Art at the university level. I can't imagine doing my doctorate right now though, so I am going to focus on my art and foreign languages in the time that I do have. That way I will still be prepared in ten years or so when I start on my graduate work.
#6 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
L J

Dream career... to own a cozy coffee shop, that keeps long hours (instead of the ones around here that close at noon) and has excellent coffees and pastries, all homemade.

I want it to have a comfy seating area with a wide array of books and magazines for the customers to read. I would love to have a "bring one, take one" system set up with the books- I have always loved that concept.

On Friday and Saturday nights we would have live music, acoustic stuff, with the exception of some reggae on certain nights, and maybe even poetry readings and book discussions.

Can y'all tell I have given this a lot of thought?

More realistic career- chiropractor, with special training in prenatal and pediatric chiropractic. I only have one year left of undergrad, pre-med track, so this should happen soon. I will start back to college in August of next year, after the babe starts solids and I feel more comfy leaving him with his grandma, and I will start chiropractic college after that.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#7 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine would be working and living with my family in developing countries helping local community based organizations design effective programs. We would pick up some other languages and become global citizens together.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#8 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen
I would love to own a bookstore, with a little coffee/tea area for customers (and comfortable sofas to sit on, not those hard chairs). I would have art on the walls for independent artists to sell, separate areas that sells rocks, candles, trinkets, aromatherapy stuff.

*sigh*
:

with my girlfriend (the most awesome lady ever).

...and...

be a Birthing From Within Mentor and a post-partum doula.

...and...

homeschool my son.

...and...

that's enough for me!!!!

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#9 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 PM

Too not work hahaha

Seriously hmmm.. it changes from time to time... but some are

To be a LC

To own a Fishing lodge

To own a bed and breakfast

To be a flipper (buy crappy houses and flip them... imagine that recycling instead of tearing down woods to build cookie cutter suburb homes gag!)
#10 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 AM

Oh yeah, have a cozy coffeeshop and own a Bed & Breakfast.

How many lifetimes can we have to do everything?
#11 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM

i have been obsessed with this yarn store/ book lounge/meeting space idea thats been floating around in my head for a while now. it will have the usual yarns for sale but will also have a lot of open space for people to gather, knit together or hold meetings/lectures/classes on any topic, not necessarly knitting. i still want to get my doula certification and would love to hold birth related lectures there. i want to put a coffee/tea/pastry bar in as well but fear the steam from the machines will start felting the yarns, but really, what goes better with knitting than tea?

I have an name planned for it,as well as where I want to open up shop. My problem is that I lack the money and fear going into the poor house to do so as DH is currently getting his company off the ground. still, one day it will happen.
#12 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeden&connersmom

How many lifetimes can we have to do everything?
as many as you want. just do one each lifetime
#13 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Dream career?? Don't I need to figure out what the heck I want to do period??

Right now, I'm thinking I want to become a consultant. But that is DEFINITELY not a dream career, although it does have things that make me happy, like: lots of travel, constant change, very challenging. But it has bad things, too: corporate environment, lots of travel (hard to do that fam thing), long hours.

Sigh. I just want to win the lotto!
#14 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Banned

A family doc where I would share call with 3 or 4 other family docs.

I would have an office in my home and do house calls. In a perfect world, I could attend home births.

I would use herbs, homeopathic medicine, and harmonize them with alleopathic medicine.
#15 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma
Dream career?? Don't I need to figure out what the heck I want to do period??

Right now, I'm thinking I want to become a consultant. But that is DEFINITELY not a dream career, although it does have things that make me happy, like: lots of travel, constant change, very challenging. But it has bad things, too: corporate environment, lots of travel (hard to do that fam thing), long hours.

Sigh. I just want to win the lotto!
I did consulting for 4 years and you might be able to make it work for you if you:

work on government client projects and under firm fixed price contracts. The time and materials contracts kill you because they NEED you to work more hours to get the extra cash.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#16 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM

I also want to be a consultant, specifically on matters of process and conflict resolution withint non profits (and maybe government entities).

I do a small bit of it already but only for a couple entities.

I have long term plans of getting more formal training in conflict resolution and then seeing about doing it up....I could potentially make the switch when dd starts school, because then our expenses will drop wayyyy down, and it would also be good because I'm committed to homeschooling if school makes dd miserable; and I think as a consultant, I could homeskool (or unschool really).

gotta see about those mediation trainings though...
#17 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 PM

My dream would be to be a L&D nurse or an ultrasound technician in the radiology department. Going back to school soon to do one or the other!
#18 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Oh goodie, I have SO many things I want to do.

1. Run a restaraunt, like an upper scale one in Alaska
2. Run a small cafe/ diner
3. Do ceramic pottery and sell it
4. Work for an adoption agency and travel with families to pick up their children
5. Become an art preserver. Someone who restores famous old artwork like in France or Italy. (Almost tried to do this)
#19 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat
A writer, any type (copy, novel, freelance, tech, etc.).

I was a business writer until the department was outsourced... I guess I just need to look more actively.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#20 of 25 Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM

Mine is either parent education (attachment parenting, breastfeeding, car seat safety, etc.) for parents who are INTERESTED and want to be there OR owning a small cozy bookshop or scrapbook store.

I currently do parent education-- but it is nutrition education to clients who usually have to come and are totally uninterested.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#21 of 25 Old 09-08-2006, 12:50 AM

I'd love to be able to restore and resell historic properties but I have NO clue where to start. I am a real estate broker now.
#22 of 25 Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 AM

My dream career was to be a Forensic Investigator...and straight out of college I became one, sort of. The closest thing to it in my area is Deputy Coroner or Death Investigator. I did it for a year, realized it is NOT quite as cool as CSI, had a child, and realized I did not want to be surrounded by death anymore It was an amazing experience, but I think I liked telling people what I did more than I actually liked doing it. Now my dream careers....

*Have lots of money so I can have a personal chef and housekeeper, go shopping every day with my DD, buy her all the books she wants, travel with my family, do ANYTHING we want without financial strains.

*Own a cozy bookshop/coffeeshop

*Be a lactation consultant/Bradley Instructor

*Work for a fashion magazine writing articles

*Dedicate my life to helping animals and advocating against animal cruelty

So many more...

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#23 of 25 Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 AM

Well....I don't know if i would call it my dream job but.............writting really good books for woman, very saterical, jaded, funny books. All about the truths about being a woman and mother in the 21st century. No BS just the way you'd tell your younger sister to get her ready for the storm that will hit her. Ya know the jazz................there's no magical thing that is going to happen to you so stop waiting for it and move on w/ your life.
#24 of 25 Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW
I'd love to be able to restore and resell historic properties but I have NO clue where to start. I am a real estate broker now.

That would be an awesome career!
#25 of 25 Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 AM

I currently work as a nanny...which is my dream career!

If not that, then...

own a B&B

park ranger

animal behavorist

cute little craft store

natural/organic cafe

trail guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page