Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant while finishing college?

22K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Usually Curious 
#1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this, but I need a little encouragement. Hubby and I don't have any kids yet, but are TTC this cycle. We're both full time students, but I'll graduate in May and will stay home after that. I guess I won't be a working mama, but I'm worried about being pregnant in school. I know I can do it, but everytime I think about morning sickness, I get all worried. I know tons of women work or go to school while pregnant, so please tell me everything works out! My biggest concern is missing class due to morning sickness. I'm a senior in mechanical engineering and am just not smart enough to skip class and still survive. I haven't thrown up in 10 years, so I don't expect morning sickness to be a big issue for me, but still...I tend to be a bit prone to worrying, but I'm trying not to. I keep thinking I'll have to drop out of school after I've worked so hard to get this far. So how do you handle work and pregnancy?

#2 ·
Try not to worry too much, MichelleAnnette. Many women (myself included
never get morning sickness. It is unlikely that you'll experience such difficulties that you'll miss class (or at least a lot of class), and it's unrealistic that you'll have to drop out of school.

I hope you and DH conceive! Please keep us posted!

And if you conceive and do feel sick, stop back and we'll all help you brainstorm for ways to make life more manageable!

#4 ·
You can do it! I was due 5 days after I finished my student teaching. I took classes and taught through my whole pregnancy. I had horendous morning sickness and it never really went all the way away. If I can do it so can you. I found people to be very supportive for the most part.

Try not to worry about specific issues because everybodies pg are totally different, deal with issues as they arise and enjoy ttc!

Somewhat offtopic but not throwing up for ten years is not an indicator of if you will have morning sickness or not. I don't think there are any indicators. I truly hope you don't ever have to deal with it.

#5 ·
I went full time the first 2 trimesters and then went part time (it was an independent study) the last trimester. Luckily I only had moderate morning sickness toward the end of the 1st semester. Unfortunately I was sick to my stomach during finals, but I didn't puke once during a test and ended up with 3 A's and a B.
The next semester I felt fine and got 4 A's. So, it can be done! Actually, the insomnia that I got towards the end of the pregnancy helped me with my studies!
Good luck!

#7 ·
I guess I'll be the dissenting voice. I was pregnant for my law two semesters (summer and fall) of undergrad. It wasn't planned. Fortunately, I had an awesome pregnancy - aside from a little fatigue in the first tremester, I felt fabulous pretty much until delivery. That was my experience and it may be yours, too. On the other hand, the possibility of sickness of some sort is very real, and even fairly minor sickness can be an issue when you're dealing with something like school and when the cause is pregnancy. It may be that your teachers will have a strict attendance policy. It may be that they are *less* sympathetic to you because of your pregnancy (that does happen). It may be that you have more than moderate sickness and aren't able to finish.

Also, school can be exhausting, as I'm sure you know. Late nights become a huge problem when you're pregnant. It's also somewhat common to have short-term memory issues, which can be maddening when trying to study.

I know you can "what if" yourself to death. And what's the point, right? The thing is, if any of the "what ifs" occur in your situation, it could keep you from achieving a very significant goal. On the other hand, you could delay for a few months and then, once you're finished with school, sit back and actually enjoy your pregnancy without feeling pulled in 20 different directions. Honestly, that's the way I would have chosen to do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

#8 ·
I was 37 years old when I decided to TTC my second child, so I didn't have the luxury of waiting. My dh and I made the decision to TTC in September, knowing I would finish my Bachelor's degree in May. It worked out and I was pregnant during graduation.
I didn't have morning sickness with my first pregnancy, so I didn't really worry about that part of it. The hardest thing for me was feeling really tired; having difficulty sitting confined to a desk for 45 minutes, and especially in the late spring when it was really hot in the classrooms.

I decided to TTC #3 when I was close to finishing my Master's degree. I conceived in Feb., planning to graduate in May. I had to do my thesis research, which required a lot of driving and interviewing people. Unfortunately, I DID have morning sickness with this third pregnancy (my first and only experience with morning sickness!). So I was feeling nauseous while driving and while interviewing people and I was so scared that I would hurl during the interviews!
: Thankfully, that never happened. One thing that helped me was I used seabands and that made a big difference. The day I defended my thesis I was 3 months pregnant and just barely not showing yet, so I was glad that I was still able to fit into my one good business suit for the defense. So for the second time I was pregnant during graduation (I was 40 years old).

(Now my boss wants me to go on for my Ph.D. but I told him, "I don't want another baby!"
)

#9 ·
You can do it, mama!

Just plan to be flexible: you just don't know what it's going to be like, and you need to plan to cut yourself a break. I had no morning sickness, but I felt like I had been hit by a truck: I'd get up at 8 and be ready to go back to sleep b 10, and then again at 2. The biggest thing for me being pregnant and in school was not. futzing. around. Seriously, be diligent about getting work done during the day so that you CAN rest and put your feet up and stare at the wall when you need to. (Of course, the other hard thing for me was being disciplined about not doing 5 hours/day of research on pregnancy, fetal development, childbirth etc. But I'm a nerd that way.
)

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Also, school can be exhausting, as I'm sure you know. Late nights become a huge problem when you're pregnant. It's also somewhat common to have short-term memory issues, which can be maddening when trying to study.

I know you can "what if" yourself to death. And what's the point, right? The thing is, if any of the "what ifs" occur in your situation, it could keep you from achieving a very significant goal.

My response is from a metaphysical standpoint. I firmly believe that thoughts held in mind produce in kind and that our reality is an outgrowth of our beliefs, fears, and all things good and bad.

I got pregnant (unplanned) during my junior year in college. I was really really tired - no morning sickness and did not always make it to my first and worst class. I also had a 2 day schedule that began at 9:30 and ended at 8pm. on Tuesdays and ended at 4 on thursdays so that was not a good move.

I don't believe ANYTHING can keep you from achieving your goal. nothing in this world if you want it bad enough. I was at a big ten school away from my family during the 1st 5 months. I went home and had my DS during the 1st semester of my senior year WHILE taking classes at a branch campus part of the larger university. (12 hours). I took my midterms early and had him on a Saturday and went to my management science class the following saturday. (not recommended). I then took off 2 weeks before going back to finish out my semester. It was the only semester that I made the dean's list too.

The above message was to encourage you to believe you can do what it is you want to do - recognizing that things don't always go as planned but knowing without a doubt that nothing will stop you.

However, as Dragonfly said, if you can wait...wait. Allow yourself time to just chill out during your pregnancy. If you can't wait or don't want to wait... then go for it.

#11 ·
I got pg with ds in April as I was finishing up my BS in Civil Engineering, took summer classes, and started my masters program that fall. I had ds over the holiday break. I had morning sickness until about 20 weeks, but managed to make it to all of my classes.
It can be done. I got pg with dd during the last semester of my masters program. Still managed to make it thru, even with morning sickness.

#12 ·
aywilkes, that is what I needed to hear! I know that there will never be a "perfect" time to have a baby, so why not start now? DH will be commissioned into the Navy when he graduates, so this next couple of years may be the most time we get to spend together for a while. I'm pretty good about getting my work done during the day and even allowing time for a nap if I need one. I don't think I've ever stayed up all night and I don't remember the last time I was up past 11. School is definitely hard to me, but I don't get too stressed about it because other things are more important. I'm 22, and I want a big family. For all I know, I could get pregnant this month, or it could be never. I don't like to think, "Oh, we have the rest of our lives," because who knows if we really do? People at school thought we were crazy for getting married over winter break, but really, being married in college is much easier than dealing with annoying roommates. One of hubby's ROTC advisiors actually advised him to wait to have kids until AFTER his first deployment. That will be, hmm, maybe 5 years. I really want my mom near by for my first, and that can only happen if we have a baby in the next 1.5-2 years.

Thank you all again for the encouragement. I do feel better now. I live in a little bubble where no one gets married or has kids until after grad school, so it's hard to find support other than mom and MIL IRL. I really do know that now is the time for us to TTC, but it really helps to know that other women have in fact successfully worked/gone to school and been pg at the same time!

#13 ·
i got pregnant last september while in school full time, didn't suffer with much nausea, graduated in december, and ended up having ds in february (14 weeks early). it took us 14 months to conceive, too, so i'm glad we started when we did.

the only professor that officially knew was so excited and congratulatory when he found out. so were all my classmates. it was nice to be able to share my excitement with a lot of people.

good luck!

mechanical engineering + atlanta = tech?
i was at uga and am still in athens.

#15 ·
Hey girl! I am 17.5 weeks pregnant and in my senior year of college. I did get pregnant over the summer- which was very helpful since I had TERRIBLE morning sickness, but you know what? I worked from 5am-2pm and was fine. Yes, I would throw up in the mornings and sometimes have to run to the bathroom at work to puke again, but it never really interfered all that much. I have found that laying around the house actually makes morning sickness worse, while getting out and doing something seems to USUALLY make me feel a little better. You can definitely do it- no question about it. Maybe your grades will suffer a little bit- I'm sure mine will with how tired I am! I am working fulltime and going to school fulltime and 5 months pregnant and doing JUST FINE. And everyone is right- there is never a perfect time to have a baby. I plan to do my internship this Janurary- at 8 months pregnant! Then this spring I plan to take one night class and some independent studies and finish my degree all while giving birth in Feburary. I know I can do it and I know you can!!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
aywilkes, that is what I needed to hear! I know that there will never be a "perfect" time to have a baby, so why not start now? DH will be commissioned into the Navy when he graduates, so this next couple of years may be the most time we get to spend together for a while. I'm pretty good about getting my work done during the day and even allowing time for a nap if I need one. I don't think I've ever stayed up all night and I don't remember the last time I was up past 11. School is definitely hard to me, but I don't get too stressed about it because other things are more important. I'm 22, and I want a big family. For all I know, I could get pregnant this month, or it could be never. I don't like to think, "Oh, we have the rest of our lives," because who knows if we really do? People at school thought we were crazy for getting married over winter break, but really, being married in college is much easier than dealing with annoying roommates. One of hubby's ROTC advisiors actually advised him to wait to have kids until AFTER his first deployment. That will be, hmm, maybe 5 years. I really want my mom near by for my first, and that can only happen if we have a baby in the next 1.5-2 years.

Thank you all again for the encouragement. I do feel better now. I live in a little bubble where no one gets married or has kids until after grad school, so it's hard to find support other than mom and MIL IRL. I really do know that now is the time for us to TTC, but it really helps to know that other women have in fact successfully worked/gone to school and been pg at the same time!

Glad I was encouraging! I am excited for you and wish you the best!

#17 ·
I'll be the awful voice here. I got pregnant during my senior year and had a due date of late July, so about 2 months after graduation. I was doing my student teaching second semester, feeling good, and one night when I was 20 weeks pregnant my water broke. I was 5 weeks away from finishing my internship at the time. I spent 2.5 months in the hospital with ruptured water and, even though I had gone above and beyond what was required of an intern, the education department denied my graduation application. My advisor, my supervising teacher (the teacher I worked under while interning), and the principal of the school I was at wrote letters on my behalf, but it was no good. I spent a good portion of the summer sitting in the NICU next to my preemie and, instead of getting to stay home and snuggle and nurse my baby like I'd planned, I had to go finish up my school so that I could graduate in December. If I could do it again, I'd have waited. BUT, I am the extreme exception to the rule and the other ladies here can attest that most pregnancies will go smoothly and not cause you grief, like mine did.

#18 ·
I worked and went to school full time while pregnant. I had horrible morning sickness for 5 months. There were days that I was in traffic jam trying to get to school and I would be puking all over my car. I was so sick, I thought I wouldn't make it.
I had planned and was expecting to have the baby after my graduation on May 31st, however my water broke on May 17 during class!!!! It was an awesome day!!!! I had the baby that week and the next week I was attending class again...
It was not an easy experience, but I am so proud of myself I made it and I also have a good story to share with my baby girl when she grows up!
GO FOR IT!!!! YOU WILL MAKE IT TOO!!!!

#19 ·
Hi,

Just want to add my thoughts. I was pregnant with my dd when I was in my last year of graduate school. I thought it was the BEST time to be pregnant, due to the more flexible schedule . Even though it sounds like your program is intense, I am sure that you will find a way to do it, if you really want to get pregnant!

Good luck

#20 ·
I didn't read everybodies posts (sorry!), but I just wanted to say to not worry about the morning sickness. Not everyone gets it, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones! If you do, you will discover ways to cope. Peppermint or ginger both help a lot. You can bring mints or gum (with peppermint extract) and/or gingerale or ginger cookies to class with you. If you prof knows you are preggo I am sure they will be understanding is they don't like food stuffs in the classroom. Good luck and have fun!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
Update: Thanks for all the advice! I am now 9 weeks pregnant and have had no problems with school! Only missed class once to meet my midwives. I can't believe I was so worried. It seems so silly now.
Congratulations! I affirm that your pregnancy will be full-term, healthy, and complication free. I also affirm that your baby is born 100% healthy, happy, and beautiful.

Peace.

#23 ·
I would really really recomend that you wait to TTC until graduation. I was a senior when I got pregnant in engineering. We call my little girl the GPA wrecker. It is a lot easier to drag yourself to a job than to concentrate while trying to handle the stress of senior projects and tough exams. It took me an additional semester to graduate and like I said it was not pretty for my GPA. I was tired and exhausted and worn plum out. I don't mean to sound negative but honestly this is such a challenging thing I would hold off if I could.

Engineering is not like other majors. Professors do not cut you breaks and the workload is extreme. I honestly did have morning sickness and I was ill. The hardest part was coming home from class exhausted and knowing that my day was just begining as I had so much homework and senior project stuff to get through. I had a lot of moms tell me they could do it but I realise that my major and the effort it required were unique.

That said if you need some advice please feel free to pm me. If it were me I would wait until graduation and then get a starting postion while I was TTC. I would have loved to have had a bit of work experience before staying home. Mostly I just worked at the university. Even if you had 9 months it would help a lot and maybe open up other possibilities in your future.

#24 ·
I had horendous morning sickness that lasted the span of my pregnancy- I was still able to work F/T in a daycare. I always had my trusty yogurt tub with me that I used frequently. I rode my bike or walked 30 mins there and back, and on one walk to work I remember realising that I couldn't remember what it felt like to not feel so horrible....on that happy note (
) I'd like to add that you get what you're dealt and you rise to the occassion- you always always manage somehow!

You can be preggers and do school/work...it can be hard, but it's certainly doable!

no worries mama, you'll be fine-- happy baby-making!

ETA: I see I missed your update- congrats on the pregnancy and I'm glad things are treating you well!

#26 ·
MichelleAnnette, my name is Sarah. I wanted to see how you were doing with school and everything going on now. I am recently married, but have been with my husband for a total of 5 years. We want to have a child very badly, we have a plan and a budget set out for it. We were very confident in our plans until I shared them with my father, and I am now scared to even think about it. I am going to school and according to my father I will never finish school if we have a kid. He said that we are not emotionally or financially stable, and that I will not get to my goals. So naturally I am now freaking out and have a million thoughts going through my head. So I joined this site in hopes of having more of an idea as to how to get through it all, if I were to have a child. And I guess some support as well, with our decision that is now on hold.

Sarah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.