hard day at the office, hard day at home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-30-2003, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Another vent from me, I don't think I 'm going to get to be called Captain Optimism anymore!

I had a bad day at work today. First I spilled soymilk on my desk. Then I got so wrapped up in the work I was doing, I forgot it was time to pump, and I leaked milk on my shirt. Then I spilled water on my desk and on my shirt.

Then I realized that I had left the cover letters for two proposals until so last minute, the head honcha wasn't there to sign them. Well, I should say, she often leaves work at lunch time and doesn't come back. When my supervisor called to get the signatures (this is an extremely hierarchy bound non-profit!) the head honcha yelled at her until she cried. I came to get help with something else and saw her, bravely talking with no tremor, while her nose reddened and tears spilled out of her eyes. Oy, I thought, that's my fault.

I also thought, I should be looking for a new job, I don't want to work for someone who is that mean to people I like.

So then i had to go to the last open post office in the most trafficky area of town. I bit the bullet and sawed off my arm and leg to pay for parking. Now I know what it feels like to be robbed by a highwayman. (I'm trying to say that parking in that part of town is crazy expensive.) I got the proposals to the post office and slogged home through the traffic.

My dh was ready to go to work, but first he had to tell me what a hard day he had with the baby. Ds didn't sleep. He isn't eating very well, he's as distractible on the bottle as he is on the breast. Finally dh wore him down--I mean, as in wore him in the baby carrier until he fell asleep.

He's asleep now. so far I'm not leaking. I'm trying to prepare dinner way in advance of dh's return so we can have some.

Anyway, is this what they call Mommy-brain? Do they mean my sudden inability to remember things? I used to be way sharper, now I have to grope around a lot. How about you?

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-30-2003, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still groping! I have a PDA that serves as my short term memory. I used to think it would get better but I think I'm permanently absent minded now. At least I now know to tell anyone to write it down/email me/do it for me when something is required of me.

So far I haven't missed many appointments, but this is due to my PDA software on the computer!

I also eliminated anything I didn't really need to do for a while, but that made for a looooong winter!

Jen

P.S. I think you get to keep your name, I get from your tone that it takes a lot to get you down! I currently work for a man of questionable morals...why is it that people thing when you attain a certain position you can be an ass?

Jen
#3 of 11 Old 04-30-2003, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

A PDA! That would be neat. I'm not saying I was never absent minded. I've always been a little absent minded. I used to be able to compensate by being able to remember lots of just stuff. Like, what was the name of the foundation we applied to that I wrote a paragraph in the proposal on why elderly people do better if they get food. (Yeah, yeah, high level reasoning!)

I am actually pretty optimistic about a lot of things. My baby, for example. Wow.

The boss of our organization isn't sooo bad, but I am often aghast at her managerial decisions. I mean, she's not the worst person I've ever worked for...BUT, if I had to work with her directly more often I would have to quit. Luckily she is so hung up on hierarchy and authority that she refuses to work directly with me very often. Sometimes we'll get into a crazy editing loop--I'll submit something for her approval. Then she'll edit it. Then I'll implement her edits and resubmit it. Then she'll re-edit the stuff she previously edited. It's like she hates her own writing but blames it on me. :

What kind of PDA do you have?

#4 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 01:14 PM

I'd be dead without my PDA. How else do you get things done?

I also leave notes on my desk. I work 3 days a week, so I often forget what I was working on...So I leave a note on my desk and the next Tuesday, I come in and remember!
#5 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Banned

Wow, sounds like the day of the fluids (bodily and otherwise). And despite your protestations to the contrary, it sounds like you have a psycho boss from HELL!!! Eek! I assume other folks in the organization are cool and the work you do is satisfying to have to put up with the antics you described.

I trust your dh listened attentively and sympathetically when you discussed YOUR day with him??

And yes, I'm now horribly absent minded, when I used to be very well organized without requiring many prompts besides my memory. I leave notes for myself stuck onto my computer at work and at home now. My desk is littered with stickys, envelope backs and the like, all containing instructions to self, phone numbers, and so forth. I'd never remember to check a PDA if I had one, let alone remembered to enter anything into it.
#6 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena
Wow, sounds like the day of the fluids (bodily and otherwise). And despite your protestations to the contrary, it sounds like you have a psycho boss from HELL!!! Eek! I assume other folks in the organization are cool and the work you do is satisfying to have to put up with the antics you described.
YES! That's it! They are really great! The mission of this organization is something I believe in totally! Plus I love it that I have a regular 9-5 job with my own office and fun stuff to do most of the time.

When I was freelancing I worked for at least two people who were more psycho than our head honcha. I'm not a psychologist but at least one of these bad bosses seems psychotic in the medical sense. So a merely mercurial, selfish, mean, bad manager who is really solidly sane and smart doesn't seem that bad.

The truth is, though I'm in some ways a bit of a slacker, mostly I like to work.

#7 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 07:10 PM

CO - Sorry you had such a rough day! I remember those from those forst few months. It does get better, promise!

I have a palm pilot that has an alarm function - very nice when I needed to remember to pump! A watch alarm would also work. I love my palm as it really does keep track of my days for me, and even has a "to do" list that I can edit and re-edit as many times as I'd like! Palms tend to be a bit pricey, but I think you can get a bare bones PDA that does a good deal of organizing for about $30 - $50 if you look around. For a while I just kept a small notebook in my bag and wrote everything down on the front page . . . . then started a new page each day, throwing the old one away. I wrote the same things down day after day sometimes, but it was quite helpful and inexpensive.

hang in there!

Andrea
mommy to Greta 3/14/02
#8 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 07:39 PM

I use the calendar in outlook to give me reminders...little "to do" boxes pop up. I put stuff in there constantly. I'm often heard telling my monitor to quit telling me what to do!

But it doesn't always work. Yesterday I was patting myself on the back driving to work from my lunch hour. I'd done it all so far! The day was going just GREAT! Yay.

Then it dawned on me - I hadn't brought a lunch.

Or any cash.

I had an empty checkbook.

The situation was resolved. (I'm a secretary with easy access to the office Mad Cash and there's a taco place very nearby.)

But I still had to have a nervous breakdown last night when I walked into my house, owing work five bucks and facing another round of wash the pump parts and make the bottles and ask my older children to pick up and take their baths and then ask again and then scream at the older children to pick up and take their baths and make sure the diaper bag was packed and what's that you say? The baby hasn't been changed for FOUR hours? When did the bathroom sink start growing hair? Why is that green? I just shampooed the carpet. What is THAT?!

We all lived through it. But for a good stretch of the evening, I was pretty sure my husband wasn't gonna make it.

The thinner we stretch ourselves, the easier it is for stuff to slip past us. That's why we have sticky notes.
#9 of 11 Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 AM

Chellmarie, I love the comment about your husband not making it. There have been several times when I thought I was going to totally lose it (like last night), and in the back of mind I thought, why me.... why just not take him out instead? And I mean that with all the love in my heart

I complete understand about stumbling through a day, the week, a whole month. If I can just make it home from work today, I know I'll be able to survive the weekend.

Hang in there!
Alison
#10 of 11 Old 05-13-2003, 06:56 PM

Wow I am slow to get back to what I was talking about. See? I can't remember where I post!!

I have a Handspring visor deluxe. It's monochrome and it works great!!

I am always hoping to find a way to get an IPAQ. Dh has one from work and it is soooo nice. But I couldn't replace it if I forgot where it was

So I have my little blue pda, I love it.

Jen
#11 of 11 Old 05-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Wow I am slow to get back to what I was talking about. See? I can't remember where I post!!

I have a Handspring visor deluxe. It's monochrome and it works great!!

I am always hoping to find a way to get an IPAQ. Dh has one from work and it is soooo nice. But I couldn't replace it if I forgot where it was

So I have my little blue pda, I love it.

Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page