Taking your child to work? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 05-06-2003, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many of you have had to do this?

I have ds here with me now; my boss called yesterday saying they needed coverage, and he actually suggested I bring ds in with me.

I packed toys, and crayons, and books, and snacks...and I just hope he will make it for the few hours we have to be here today. If it works out well, we're doing it again tomorrow. 3 hours at a time.

Any other experiences with this? I have my own small office (not a cube), and I am actually pretty removed from everyone else, so we aren't too disruptive--I hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-06-2003, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My baby has been coming to work on Thursdays about an hour and half before I have to leave the office. Usually I just shut my door and nurse and diaper him, and then go home. People aren't bothered by a little crying, and he doesn't cry much until we have to actually leave. (He hates the car and cries when I strap him in the carseat .) Last Thursday we had a deadline that had to be met, so I stayed with him at the office for another three hours and worked. My co-workers had to help me with baby-jollying so that I could get any work done. That was not good. Next time I'll have dh bring the snugli, we didn't have it and I think it made a big difference!

It would be a lot easier to have a child who could draw and play. My co-worker had a childcare crisis and brought her 2 1/2 year old to work for several half days over a two week period. The little girl was amazingly self-possessed and well-behaved. She sat in a little chair in her mom's office and played with her toys and drew pictures. Her only misbehavior was to complain if her mother dawdled on the way up to the office!

My workplace is very family friendly.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#3 of 23 Old 05-09-2003, 02:45 PM

My son has come to work with me for 20+ hrs a week and has since I went back to work when he was 3 months. I have a nice area for us and everyone has been really supportive. They miss him when he is not here!! I think it has been really good for ds too, he is so used to lots of other people and is really social and outgoing. All that said, I will be going part time when he turns 1, and then he'll stop coming with me. I think it is too much to ask of him to stay content in an office when he wants to run all over the place.
#4 of 23 Old 05-09-2003, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

My ds will be 2 in 2 weeks. Yeah, it's kind of a challenge for him to sit for too long. He managed a 3-hour day, without anything major and no crying at all, so I was pretty pleased.
#5 of 23 Old 05-09-2003, 06:53 PM

I can't see myself being able to bring dd here, at least not during 'regular business hours'

however, I know a girl who works at a water place (selling all sorts of water purifiers, actual water, drinking fountains, etc) and she was told she could bring her 2.5yr old with her anytime she needed. she is getting min. wage though.

If it works for you and your child, that is so awesome!!
#6 of 23 Old 05-09-2003, 07:48 PM

I teach co-op preschool. My dd is in my class. This has its own set of challenges (sharing mama!? NOOOOOOOOOOO...) but I wouldn't have it any other way. I feel very blessed to have this situation.
#7 of 23 Old 05-09-2003, 11:10 PM

DD will come to work with me sometimes if she gets out of school early or just wants to come in after school. I don't do it as much as I used to because we're under new management and the majority of them are women in their early fifties who never had children....they really don't get it. Our old VP had 2 small children, so it was common to see kids in the office if they were sick and couldn't go to school or daycare, but not now with this current management. DD is really good, she'll just sit and write or read. Now DS, I would NEVER be able to work with him there. I did work a couple of Saturdays and took him with me when he was a wee little baby, but once he was mobile, it was impossible. I work in HR and although we're the first to preach "family first" we're the worst culprits in guilting our employees when they do.
#8 of 23 Old 05-11-2003, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am newly pg and considering having a long talk with my boss about it...the fact is, I really want to take new baby with me until he/she is at least eating solids (when I can work a little longer without feeding issues--pumping is not easy for me at all). The great thing is, we are in a big office building, and a woman who works for another company leasing onsite brings her little one with her to work a lot. They are a video production company, very different from our business, but everyone is used to seeing her schlepping him in. Since I am a slinging mama, I know how much I can actually do with a babe in sling, and I think this will help me to keep my job, and keep my hours up, while not losing my a$$ to childcare costs. Basically, if I cannot do this, at least for almsot a year, I might have to quit my job. Which, oddly enough, I don't want to do.

First time I have ever felt this way about a job (not wanting to quit).
#9 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 01:21 PM

I brought dd to work a few times, but it was on days that I didn't plan on doing any work and I left early. I was there with her, more or less, to socialize with my co-workers. I couldn't see bringing dd to an office and actually doing work. Not only would I be distracted by wanting to be with her (as opposed to actually working), but I don't think it would be fair to dd either. It wouldn't be fair to her to have to stay quiet and not run around while I was working. It would also be unfair to others who were trying to get work done.

I think it kind of depends on what type of work environment you have and what type of work you do. Some professions/jobs are more conducive to having children around. I would feel really awkward and unprofessional if I brought dd to work with me on a regular basis. Our secretary occasionally brings in her kids to work with her when our boss is out of the office and it is disruptive. Now that her older dd is 7, it's not a big deal because she is very self-sufficient and can be quiet for a lengthy period of time. But, when she was bringing her into the office when she was younger, it was a distraction to all of us, to say the least. Her younger dd, however, is 2, and a toddler simply can't be still for too long. Inevitably, they cry, whine, want to run around etc. We all joke that it would be awesome if we had one room where all of us moms could take our kids and have someone watch them while we worked. Wouldn't that be great!!

Libby
#10 of 23 Old 05-14-2003, 07:14 PM

I recently opened a children's store and I bring my 13 month old with me everyday. It is a little different because I don't have to worry about him upseting my boss or anything like that. I love it though. He has a play area that he has a great time in and he loves seeing new people - he walks to the window and wavs bye bye to everyone that leaves. I might be a little less productive wit him here buton the same note, I am not sure how productve I would be if I was worried about his welfare all day in the care of someone else.
#11 of 23 Old 05-27-2003, 06:35 PM

My boss would have my head if I thought about bringing ds to work with me. She hates the fact that I even have a kid, so to have him in the office would be totally out of the question. I brought him in one day a couple of weeks ago, before work, with my dh because I needed to call the doctor as soon as they opened at 8 to have him seen. She flipped and I got a huge lecture about "we are paying you to work, not to babysit" (I'm just curious how it is "babysitting" when it is my own kid but I digress)
#12 of 23 Old 05-28-2003, 07:48 PM

I have a great boss who has encouraged me to bring my DD to work with me. I started there when she was 3 and besides the few days here and there that she visits with grandma she has been with me ever since. She started full day Kindergarten last fall and gets on and off the bus there. He always told me not to pay for a sitter.

I am fortunate to work for a small family business and get the best of both worlds. My boss's grandson (just a year older than my DD) also gets on and off the bus there and is a great playmate for DD (they are both only's). They have their box of toys and bikes they ride and they even have a pool for swimming during the summer months.

It doesn't pay as much as the job I had before DD was born, but it is definetely worth the pay cut to be able to have her with me.

Melinda
#13 of 23 Old 06-17-2003, 11:42 PM

I have a children's store too and take my 2 1/2 yr old everyday--Sat he stays with daddy. I am so blessed to be able to do that--don't know if I could do it at another sort of job.

He is the little charmer and if he's not there adults and kids alike ask where he is

telekinetic pyro--that's so sad that your boss is hostile to children--I don't understand people like that!!

skibumel--I'd love it if you had time to email me and we could talk about our stores.

Malissa [email protected]
#14 of 23 Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 PM

I would understand it more if she didn't have kids herself! That is the part that just boggles my mind
#15 of 23 Old 06-19-2003, 01:05 AM

i work at a very baby friendly business also. i bring dd for about 16 hours per week (4 days). part of this time she naps & i also have a babysitter for about half of this time too (part of this time i need to be out of my office). it has worked really well so far (dd is 15 mos) as she also will usually nap for part of this time. it is definately challenging sometimes, but i feel lucy to be in this position and don't think i could do daycare at this point. i work full time and enjoy not having to be away for her for 8+ hours per day.
#16 of 23 Old 06-19-2003, 01:07 AM

i work at a very baby friendly business also. i bring dd for about 16 hours per week (4 days). part of this time she naps & i also have a babysitter for about half of this time too (part of this time i need to be out of my office). it has worked really well so far (dd is 15 mos) as she also will usually nap for part of this time. it is definately challenging sometimes, but i feel lucy to be in this position and don't think i could do daycare at this point. i work full time and enjoy not having to be away for her for 8+ hours per day. i do have my own small office, so that makes it easier.
#17 of 23 Old 06-19-2003, 01:17 AM

Im feeling lucky!!!

I've brought all my children to work with me up to crawling/rolling age. I brought a bassinet into my office and spent many hours nursing and pumping there.

What amazed me most about working in a sleep deprived state with an infant, was how many women in the office were Baby people. They would stop in to play with my infants and take a "Baby Break." It was wonderful to be able to have 15 minutes to finish a project.

I always ended taking a longer lunch and ate in my car, while my DD or DS took a nap.

Most of the people I talked to on the phone, assumed I was calling from home, or they had been transfered to my home line...

Tech Pyro... I wish Your situation was better. But I've learned that some people are baby lovers, and others ONLY love their baby.
#18 of 23 Old 06-19-2003, 04:26 PM

Well my little guy hasn't been born yet but its not uncommon for people to bring their kids into work here in crunches. A co-worker son is in physical therapy that is near the office but further from her daycare. She brings him like 3 days a week for the morning not to take more time off to go back and get him. My boss's wife often stops by with his son and he is one great little cute. Actually DH recently got hired on here. He had several interviews and two of them the person he interviewed with had their kids there. He joked that he thought they were testing him to see if he likes children since if he doesn't and I'm expecting it would cause strife between us.

One thing I love about my company in general is that we're not only family friendly but do so in a way that isn't unfair to people without children. I never felt slighted before I was pregnant.
#19 of 23 Old 06-20-2003, 11:27 PM

I am starting a job this week, I will be bringing my 8 month old ds with me. Any suggestions? : It is with an ad agency and the culture is fairly informal. Thanks!!!
#20 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Hmmm 8 months old...

Search for paperclips and staples, bring lots of toys, Bring a sling, a walker...options for many posistions...

Don't be afraid to let others watch her.

Oh and watch out for candy, cookies and such on other peoples desks!
#21 of 23 Old 07-09-2003, 09:31 AM

I haven't brought DS to work, but other co-workers have in emergency situations.. and I work in a newsroom!
So if kids are ok here... which they are... they outta be ok ANYWHERE.
#22 of 23 Old 07-09-2003, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I had a performance review last week, and I brought up the baby on its way, and my boss is totally open to my bringing him/her in with me, at least until we start solids! Yippeeee!

I told him that we'd have to rearrange our childcare with two, and that I had concerns about being able to nurse as often as necessary with longer than 2-hour separations for work. He said, bring the baby, and shut your door when you need to nurse. People will get used to it.

It's not the job I love, or even the paycheck. It's my boss.
#23 of 23 Old 07-20-2003, 11:47 PM

Before we brought our DS home, I arranged with my boss to bring him to work with me for three months and then I would put him in day care. At the end of the first month my boss came to me and said that I had one week to find day care. I was so angry. I have had to bring him to work with me a few times since then. She seems pretty understanding about it. Usually it is because he is sick and I had to pick him up from day care early. Sometimes on my late nights I will bring him up to my office. (I work till 7 two nights a week and the day care is in the same building.) I just don't tell her about it. But it's much harder now that he is mobile. He's not happy to sit in the stroller or portacrib any more. I just have a cubicle so I can't really keep him contained.

I agree with the statement about watching for paperclips and stuff. I took one away fro Dakota today. And we have already dealt with a swallowed penny.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page