Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Dar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
I also prefer group discussions as apposed to pure lecture. I need to SPEAK it many times to retain it It's why I talk to myself a lot
Me, too! And do you find that you speak up more than other students? because I sure do! Last semester, in my two core classes, there were two of us who asked and answered a lot of questions, and the other students rarely contributed... even though some of them told us later that they didn't really understand the material. I guess that didn't bother them? Or they were afraid to speak up?

FWIW, the other person who spoke up was also a single mother in her thirties, originally from California (just like I am). I don't know which aspect of that turned us into tallkers - or maybe it was a combination...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#62 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM

You earned 36 out of 38 points for a 94.74% on the exam. That's a great start Rebecca. Very nice work.
Have an excellent weekend!

I just got that email from my Stats prof. I am so happy. I really wasn't sure how I did on the test.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#63 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Me, too! And do you find that you speak up more than other students? because I sure do! Last semester, in my two core classes, there were two of us who asked and answered a lot of questions, and the other students rarely contributed... even though some of them told us later that they didn't really understand the material. I guess that didn't bother them? Or they were afraid to speak up?

FWIW, the other person who spoke up was also a single mother in her thirties, originally from California (just like I am). I don't know which aspect of that turned us into tallkers - or maybe it was a combination...

dar
Oh Holy Heck YES! I talk like crazy in class and to the othe studnts dismay I argue their points if they make backass comments (generalizing, stereotyping).

In my African American Literature class two of us spoke in class. We seemed to be the only ones reading too! Before class started people would ask me about the reading or be trying to speed read it before class. I found that I spoke up much more than other students or that i was the only one. In my Sociology class I definitely was the only one who would talk in class. I would often leave say to the professor, "it was nice talking to you today." and he would get a good chuckle out of it. I also communicate with professors via email etc outside of class. I have comments and questions about so many details of class - I just want to absorb as much as I can. I just am so digging learning (maybe making up for lost time?).

I'm originally from Oregon, very outspoken, opinionated, and love to learn- even about typically boring subject matter (aspects of the english language anyone?)

Many traditional students I have met (at the community college and at university), don't really want to learn what is being taught in the class, except as it pertains to passing the overall class. I do want to learn and do well grade-wise, but I also want to LEARN and be changed by the information given to me, ya know?

Check this out...we went to a friend's house to play and ride bikes and I was having to keep myself from telling Kailey we had to leave. I wanted to come home and study I am really serious about learning German
#64 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

INCREDIBLE REBECCA! That is a great start to the semester!!! Congrats!

I've only turned in one assignment, an explication of Chopin's "The Yellow Wallpaper". I can't wait to see how I did.
#65 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM

That's awsome Houdini! Always nice to recieve positive reinforcement.

I'm excited because I decided, on the last day of Drop/Add, to drop Biology (I'm very bad at Science for some reason...) and add Women in Literature, which is much more my kind of class. Because of the MLK holiday the first class will not be until the following Monday, but it looks like it will be very challenging, in a good way.
#66 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reading about all your guys' classes makes me a bit jealous and wish I could clone myself!

I am intensely overwhelmed right now.

My 3 classes are very time consuming...with a lot of mental reflection, application and work.

BTW: these classes are, in addition, to my 1/2 day student teaching and preparation of teaching my own unit plan. I teach my unit the first 2 weeks of February and I cannot tell you how much revision, lesson plan writing and material gathering I have to do. :

OK...as for classes:

1. Math/Science Methods: A very interactive class where we will be "doing" the actual lesson plans. But, she has a lot of projects for us to do, in addition to the reading.

2. Human Relations (aka Classroom Management): I am very fortunate that my University's program is very progressive in their Philosophy of Education. It is absolutely awesome. This is a HUGE class for me, one I have been looking forward to for years.

The professor is amazing. There is a lot of focus on community building, student-centered/generated techniques and focus on the developmental stages of the students (as individuals), in regards to expectations.

This is going to be a GREAT class for me.

3. Action Research. I LOVE research, so this class is going to be fun for me. BUT...the instructor (who is also my Guide Group leader) is HORRIBLE!!! On a personal level, he is great and I enjoy chatting, discussing and debating issues with him. As an instructor, he is a nightmare. A mind-numbling boring nightmare.

I have already decided on my action research topic. I am going to focus on classroom community, with a focus on morning meetings. I will be implementing morning meetings into my 1st grade classroom. The classroom community in my 1st grade classroom is completely non-existent. Plus, I am sure the students will be relieved, because currently, their teacher has them come into the classroom and do worksheets for the first 30 minutes of the day! :
#67 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I'm originally from Oregon, very outspoken, opinionated, and love to learn- even about typically boring subject matter (aspects of the english language anyone?)
Me too, me too, me too! Including being a native Oregonian!
#68 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

LOL- ya know every time I see someone from Oregon I wonder if I know them. Like everyone in oregon knows each other

But, do I know you?
grew up in Redland, Oregon a bit outside of Oregon City. Went to Gladstone High School - class of '89

Oh- but I did want to tell you all. My research paper in Aspects of the English Language will be on the evolution of profanity and my research paper in Foundations of Education will be on UNSCHOOLING! like to keep people on their toes!
#69 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
love to learn- even about typically boring subject matter (aspects of the english language anyone?)
My undergraduate degree is in Applied Linguistic, personally, I love learning about any aspect of any language.

Quote:
I am really serious about learning German
Something else in common...I studied German for 5 years and even studied at the Universitaet Wien (University of Vienna) for 6 months.

Although, after having lived in the Netherland for 4 years and learning Dutch, my German is a mess.

Have fun with it!
#70 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:

But, do I know you?
grew up in Redland, Oregon a bit outside of Oregon City. Went to Gladstone High School - class of '89
Don't think so.

Born in Roseburg, raised in Medford.
#71 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I am so jealous Heather!! Studying at Wien!!
Now you've got me excited!
I think you should move to NC and becoem my German tutor. I need help with akkusativ cases
#72 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

We lived in Roseburg for a short time (my mom and me and my younger sister). I don't even remember it really.
#73 of 140 Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I am so jealous Heather!! Studying at Wien!!
Now you've got me excited!
I think you should move to NC and becoem my German tutor. I need help with akkusativ cases
My biggest problem was the prepositions. I had this awesome professor who was completely off the wall. He would jump on table, run around the room, etc.

But, the best thing I learned from him was the preposition song for the dative case. I can still sing them now.
#74 of 140 Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 AM

I guess I should join in here too - the semester starts for me on wednesday.

I'm taking fairly easy classes this term - still getting used to being a mom
#75 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Hi everyone! I just found this thread, and I'm really happy to have a place to come to commiserate with and get advice from student mamas! I'm currently pregnant with my first (due in July) and will be starting the fourth semester of law school next week. My DH works from home, so our current plan for next fall is that we'll share child-care and try to structure our schedule around my classes. It's daunting, but we're so excited -- and I'm relieved that after this semester I'll only have 2 to go!
#76 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:

The bulk of my weekend will be spent reviewing and refreshing my German knowledge
I just finished my second semester of German. I'd planned to take the next level, but it's not being offered this semester. I'm going to work on my own with it. I'm sharing what I learn with the kiddos and dh just finished his first semester.

This semester I'm taking Spanish. I have to take either 6 hours each of two languages or 9 of one for my degree. There's a really good Mexican restaurant not too far from here (a real one), I'm planning to practice on them. Lol. Hopefully, they'll not kick me out (they've got the best homemade tortillas EVER).

Classes start for me tomorrow. I'm ready to get started, but then again...

We need to get some kind of textbook exchange going on here. I've got so many, as I'm sure we all do. I've been listing them on half.com, but it would be so nice to exchange with you all.
#77 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

dar
Oh yes, me too. I've noticed that "adult" (older) students talk much more than the traditional students. And I speak up way more than I did when I was a traditional college student. I think part of it is that, for the most part, we know who we are better and are more comfortable with it. Many young adults just believe what their parents or teachers told them to but don't really know why. Last semester in my women's health class I really annoyed on of the students. We were on opposite sides of a discussion and everything she threw at me, I could back up.

My TR classes don't seem like I'll enjoy them as much. Largely because of the profs - Women in Music - her speech and mannerisms just irk me, plus it looks like its gonna be a snooze fest. Sad because it had so much potential. Emergence of the Modern American Woman - I think I'll enjoy the subject material and projects. The prof though is a more abrasive in-your-face feminist and has a very rigid formal structure to the class.
#78 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh a textbook exchange would be GREAT!
I really need that Deutsch Heute text and workbook!

I have done nothing in the way of homework, although I was given the day off and am attempting to rememdy that. I miss Kailey like crazy though (she wanted to stay at the center and play).

I'm working on one of two explications and it is going pretty slowly- ugh! I'll work on a presentation I have for Wednesday after I'm finished with this, and I better get back to work.

Hope you ladies are doing well and have had a fabulous weekend. Talk to y'all later.
#79 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM

I wish I had the book you needed, PD. I used Kontakte. I do have an extra copy of that book for exchange, if anyone is in need.

How could we do an exchange on here? I've had the idea rolling around in my head for awhile, but I'm not sure how we'd go about it. Any ideas?

Two of my classes are up and running, Art Appreciation and Physical Geography. Waiting on the other ones. I'm still enrolled with the University of New Orleans, despite having moved back to WA state. I made it last semester, and barely found classes online to take this term. I have to decide quickly whether I plan to take math & science classes locally, so that I can still graduate from UNO. I'm so undecided... The school has some kind of program/affiliation with Innsbruck University in Austria, that I'd just about sell a kidney to be able to attend.
#80 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Oh a textbook exchange would be GREAT!
I really need that Deutsch Heute text and workbook!
I also cannot help you with that one. I have 3 different textbooks, but none are Deustsch Heute. Sorry!
#81 of 140 Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

I think exchanging books for postage would be cool.

I have econ books
american government and history books
I do have an art appreciation book
world history
MAT 140
ENG 11, 114

etc, etc, and so forth

Ok, so today was totally wasted, I did ONE explication mamas, ONE. I'm working on the other now. I couldn't help it, the story was bland "Araby" By James Joyce. I'm reading Eveline by the same auther now. Yawn.

Ok, really I have to get off this site!

I HATE wireless internet jsut about now!!
#82 of 140 Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Ack! I had ordered my books online (and saved a bunchof money), and they jsu came today. I'm soooo behind already.

For tomorrow:
Ethics - 27 pages of reading
Class Structure - 52 pages
Women in Society - 27 pages

For Thursday:
Women in Music - 75 pages
Modern Am. Woman - 34 pages

From someone that was previously a math major, and therefore had little to no reading assigned, this is a ton. *sigh* Sleep is overrated anyway.
#83 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 12:43 AM

I had to read four chapters in one class for today, two for the other. I have 38 pgs to read for Thurs and then another 2chapters for each class for next week. I don't have my books yet, I copied the first couple weeks of readings. It came out to around 600 pages for 2-3 weeks. YIkes!

There is a conference that is highly recommended for students in my program to attend. The catch? It conflicts with a required class where attendance is mandatory. I think the professor will be attending as well but we have a huge project due that day. My plan is to attend her other section that week, turn my paper in early and enjoy the conference. I hope it works out that way.
#84 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Ok, I just need to share an episode about my CT (cooperating teacher, whose class I am student teaching in)

TJ, one of my student that exhibits all signs of ADHD and whom my CT CANNOT stand, was suppose to be at the Opportunities classroom. The Opportunities classroom is basically where they send children that cannot or are unable to "conform" to the shitty classrooms and teachers they are placed with. The kids are basically "trained" and given EXTENSIVE rewards everytime they "perform" as expected.

Well, TJ was suppose to go there immediately after Xmas break. My CT received an email stating that he never showed up. Apparently, his dad kept him home (dad has been fighting with mom--they are divorced--about his wanting to keep TJ home and homeschool him). The second week arrives...no TJ. Nor is anyone able to get ahold of either of TJ's parents.

This morning, TJ comes walking into the classroom, with all of his classmates. My CT says, very nastily, "TJ, you are not suppose to be here. Why are you here?" TJ is just devastated and starts crying, "I am confused. I don't know where I have to go. I don't understand." What does my CT do, she tsks, turns her head very obnoxiously and starts working on her computer. I comfort TJ, tell him it is OK, that it is not his fault and welcome back! He is only 6 YEARS OLD!!!!

My CT then storms out of the room, completely pissed off. I follow after her and listen as she tells the other 1st grade teacher (who is a complete nightmare of a teacher telling me constantly how I choose the wrong profession) about the email she received from TJ's mom stating that he had been sick the past two weeks.

My CT starts ranting about how he is going to screw up her classroom and that she WILL NOT give him any extra help or attention. That was when I stepped in and said, "This is NOT his fault. Why should HE be punished for his parents' actions?" Catherine just shook her head and said "Whatever."

My stomach was in knots after this episode, this is not the first time she has treated a student like this. This woman SHOULD NOT be a teacher. You know, she spends more time working on the computer (with her back to the kids) than actually interacting/participating/TEACHING her students.

So, I had to do a Classroom Management interview with her today about her views/practices/philosophies on classroom management. She is a complete hypocrite and talks a BIG talk that I have NEVER seen her act upon. She goes on to brag about what a total behaviorist she is and the Alfie Kohn has the slightest idea what he is talking about..."Complete fluff!"

One of the questions was "How would you describe your relationships with the students?" She replied, "Pretty good! They like me. The parents tell me all the time how much they like me." In my experience in her classroom, the kids have no respect for her and, at times, fear her. She has absolutely NO idea.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent this. I never know where to share this stuff. Since student teaching is a part of my classes, I hope you guys don't mind that I "let it out" here.
#85 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Are you kidding! This is the perfect place for you to be sharing this stuff. I am umbfounded at your CT's behavior. Can you start documenting it?

And I am so sorry that you are put in such a sticky situation. That poor babe.

I am basically DYING over here with the reading and research. Explications are finished though- thank goodness. I am reading and researching for two seperate classes right now
#86 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 AM

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Documenting it doesn't matter, I hate to say. Myself and many of my fellow classmates are all having similar experiences. We all talk about it with our supervisors, in our classes, with our guide group leaders, etc. It doesn't matter. You cannot do anything about it. We are not in a position to do anything about it.

I hate to say this, but I have seen this kind of behavior, by teachers, in schools more than I care to think about it. I have been working in the public and private school (primarly international school) environment for many years.

It is a very mainstream attitude. We are a behaviorist society. Anything else is WORK.

That is why, I believe, teacher education is the root of school reform. What I am being taught in my program goes completely against what we see in the classroom. Which is great, BUT it is really, really hard. I just keep reminding myself that my classroom WILL BE different.

Although, my son is 3.5 and I am starting to get concerned about what to do with him. It is one thing for me to be in the "minefield" battling it out, but what do I do with him when he begin school...knowing what I know?
#87 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Can I jump in? My name is Laura. Hubby is in the Army, we are in upstate NY. We have 2 kiddos, a 4 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. This is my first 'real' semester since graduating highschool 12 years ago. I did take ENG 101 last semester but it was the only class that I took! This semester I am taking Geology 105, Math 097/125 and POL 101. I know tiny little classes (and pretty remedial) but like I said this is my first real semester in 12 years, I need some refreshing! I am going to a local community college but all of my courses will transfer to the local 4 year state university. I am going for my (pardon the incorrectness of all of this!) Associates in Mathematics and Science and will transfer to the 4 year for a Bachelors in Geology.

Well, that's me in a nutshell! I look forward to getting to know all of you bright mamas!!
#88 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It is getting a little easier.............

I last went to university 20 years ago. When I first started my current course I was overwhelmed by the reading, the writing, the workload. I have just finished the first section and it was easier by the end. Thank goodness!

I just might be able to handle this..........
#89 of 140 Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Dar

It does get easier! I went back to school last semester, and my first 7 page paper took me about a solid week of work to churn out - I did pretty much nothing but write it. The last week of school, I wrote three pages - 14, 13, and 8 pages, including all of the research for two and some of the research for one... and I got As on all of them. So hang in there!

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#90 of 140 Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 AM

Alright, time for an update. Class still doesn't start until the 24th for me, but I have access to one already, so I began studying a bit. Never a problem getting ahead in the reading . I may be happy later to have read a bit ahead.

Anyways, I have lined up daycare for two mornings (M,F) a week for 3 hours each. That way I can do class work during the day a bit. My daughter doesn't really give me a chance to crack the books otherwise .

I hope this semester goes well for everyone! I just found out that I have an assignment due the week I board the plane back for the states. Maybe I can work out doing it a few days early for this instructor. I looked at the course schedule but I am not sure how flexible of a schedule it really is. I guess I'll have a feel for it as we go along.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page