Spring 2007 Student Mamas spinoff from Fall 2006 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas! It's Spring Semester! Well, mine doesn't start until this coming Monday, but it is getting close.

Anyone going back or just starting out?

This will be my second semester at UNCP and I can't wait to get back. I did get a kcik in the butt of reality though when I got my final grades for my first semester. At the community college I was nearly a 4 point student (getting 3 B's the two years I was there. For Fall I received 2 a's, 2 b's, and C. I was just little disappointed

I have scheduled mucho time during the day for studying and observations in classes (I have three courses that require this) so I should be able to get the grades I know I can this semester.

The classes I am taking (and all in the afternoon and one in the evening) are as follows:

America in Early British Literature MWF 12:30-1:20
Aspects of the English Language MW 2:30-3:45
Principles of Literary Study TR 2:00-3:15
Early Adolescents and Young Adult Development MWF 11:30-12:20
Foundations of Education R 4:00-7:00

In the mornings I'll work 7-10 doing light office work- woohoo! - at the center I currently do after school care. Kailey will still be enrolled (she's been there for 3 years) and I'll get free care- double woohoo!

15 credits
I currently have 73 credits of 144 (or something like that).

Ok, need to clean up before work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 04:25 PM

I am all set to send out my paperwork, letters of recomendation and essays to grad school... Im sooo anxious right now. I work full time 40 hrs a wek, I ahve a six month old (who is teh happiest baby in the world!) a hubby who works 11 hr days and an internship that will need to be done in 6 months ...for 200 hrs then anoterh one in order to get my licence for 3000 hrs (yes that was 3 zeros) how will I do this? to be honest- Im a very motivated person for one, 2. my hubby doesnt want to go to school, but wants a good income so I know I will make more after I grauate and 3.if all esle fails- pray! I also got a n internship with a company i used to work for and they wil let me intern on weekends adn in the evening- best part is taht there is a center there with toys for infants and todlers so I can take my munchkin with me!
#3 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

That is awesome!
I'm excited for you! I wish I could do all of that.
#4 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm heading back again. Classes start next Wednesday. The best part is that my dh now doesn't go in to work until 3:30, and I'm done each day by 12:30. No daycare. And we're buying me a new(er) car with the money. (I'm curently driving a '93 Camry with 225k miles. While it's a great car, we can't be sure it'll make it another year and a half w/o needing expensive repairs.)

I'm pretty excited. All the classes are in my major (women's studies) or minor (sociology) except one. That class is stats and is a pre-req for a masters of public health, which is my goal.

Here's my schedule:
MWF
Contemporary Moral Issues 9:05-9:55
Class Structure 10:10-11:00
Women in Society 11:15-12:05
TR
Introduction to Statistics 8:10-9:25
Women in Music 9:40-10:55
Emergence of the Modern American Woman 11:10-12:25

18 hours. I may be crazy. Especially since 2 of those courses are writing intensive and 1 is oral communication intensive.
#5 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM

I'm here.. in the middle of a trimester (finals in about a month). Right now I'm taking: Evidence Based Chiropractic, Regulatory Issues, Chiro Philosophy, Business Management, Healthy Aging/Geriatrics, Case Correlations II and am in Clinic a minimum of 14 hours a week - for a 30 sh course load. :

I filled out my "Intent to Graduate" forms before Christmas break - only 163 days left... I still need to figure out where I want to practice, get my house sold, etc, etc, etc.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#6 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer!

I see you are on the term scheduling- cool.
I am so jealous of your upcoming graduation, can't wait for mine (about 5 more semesters).
Your class load amazes me, really!

And I am sure all things will come together for you, just as they were intended
#7 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Did I mention that I get to buy books tomorrow? It's the closest thing to a shopping spree I get until tax time
#8 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Potty Diva - I can't believe it's finally coming - I graduated from HS in 1991 and have been in school pretty constantly since then except for about 1.5 years. My family jokes that I am a professional student. This is my last degree and I am soooooo ready.

Good luck with the spring semester everyone.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#9 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 PM

I start back monday (the 8th) for my second semester of nursing school. I am not quit ready, I like sleeping in! I've also been working at a new job as a nurse tech and am plently stressed out with that some days.

Anyways. My schedual isn't too bad: OB, Peds, Pharmacology, and Concepts (Med/Surg 2 is what it really is). I have lectures Mon and Friday and OB clinicals Thursday from 7a-7p. I'll probably just work here and there on the weekends--good experience. Somewhere in there I'll homeschool the girls too...haha.

Hope everyone has a great semester! Some of you are close to being done.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#10 of 140 Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM

Hi all! I'm just plugging away at my sciences to get into nursing school. My English degree provides the other credits required. Last semester I took Chemistry and got an A!! This semester I am taking Biology for Allied Healthcare Workers as a prereq to get into A&P. It's going to be my first on-line class.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#11 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, truth be told I am really nervous. I may quite work (gee I'm going to miss that little bit of money) and Mark will teach full time. I'm just really wanted to get excellent grades to qualify for scholarships. I want to be RECOGNIZED
#12 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 AM

Mind if I participate in this thread again?

I am now officially a music education student instead of a generalized music student. I need to step up my practicing now in a major way, which is both exciting and daunting.

This will be the semester of changes... I will be in two ensembles, 1 large, 1 small, and I will now get a grade for my lessons on my instrument. I've never had that before and it scares me. My DDs will be going to childcare for the first time ever, and I'm experiencing so much stress over that. One awesome thing is that they will be on campus with me at my school's childcare center where I can drop in at any time once they are adjusted. I can also peek in at any time since its all glassed in and the playground is central to where my classes will be.

On a side note, I really wish I had other mama friends who were in school who understand the stresses involved. I sometimes feel very alone even though my husband is very supportive of my decision to return to school.

Best of luck to everyone this semester!
#13 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Fro, welcome! welcome!

Yeay for your progress, boo for the stressful grading process of lessons

The childcare on campus would be so great. We are currently discussing an onsite childcare for our campus- I hope it passes. Kailey won't be able to attend until we move to the same county ( which is a possibility since DH will be working close by).

I bought books today. 423 and some changes. I still need a backpack but couldn't find one that would hold my books AND laptop.

They moved the bookstore from it's location last semester into a new building. It's huge and wonderful. If you know the size of Walden's or a little less than Barnes and Noble then you know the size of our new campus bookstore.

I only purchased twelve books for classes and none of the huge. All novels though- argh for English Ed!

Here is the list, just cause I like typing:

America in Early British Literature
The Tempest- Shakespeare
Christopher Coloumbus and the Enterprise of the Indies- Symcox
Envisioning America, English Plans for the Colonization of America- Mancall
Utopia- Sir Thomas More

Aspects of the English Language
An Introduction to Language- Textbook
Principles of Literary Study
Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Study- Dictionary
Frankenstein- Shelley
Writing About Literature- A Guide
Great Expectations- Dickens
Early Adolescents and Young Adult Development
The Adolescent: Development, Relationships, and Culture- Textbook
Foundations of Education
Teachers, Schools, and Society- Textbook

WooHoo!

A few of the books we have here so I am going to return the just purchased ones, like Great Expectations, The Tempest, and Frankenstein. We may also have Utopia.
#14 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Hi all! For me, this is winter quarter. I am taking Cost Accounting, Principles of Marketing (yuk!), and Financial Management. If I go summer quarter I will be done at the end of the year (December), but I'm not sure if I want to pay out of pocket for that. If I wait, I can probably get some financial aid. Plus, I'd love to have the summer off! OH, im going for my Accounting degree.

On another note, my DS will have to be watched by someone other than family for the first time this quarter. I'm petrified! I think I've found a great mama, she has a son who is the same age as mine and she is AP. It is only for 2 mornings a week, about 3 hours. But I am still so sad. The hardest part will be me saying goodbye. Up until now, I have always just kind of snuck out (not the best thing, I know). But he was always with grandma or dad. Now, I know I can't do that. I know he'll be fine but it will be hard on me not if, but when he cries.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#15 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sara!
I am bummed for you about your ds. I hope your transition going smoothly once you both find a routine, and how cool that your ds gets to make a new friend and a person who will care for him with great love and attention- yeay for you both!

I also have to say that OY VAY! your classes would kick my butt. I did take one financial class, but it was for a Human Services curriculum at a community college. I think it might have been called financial management...hrm...
#16 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM

I'm on Winter quarter, too. I'm being really lazy this quarter. I've got Shakespeare and Ceramics at night, plus an online Geology class.

I applied to University of Washington in very early December for Spring quarter. I should know in February if I got in or not. Otherwise I have only one Science class to finish up my AA.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#17 of 140 Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM

Currently, I'm in the middle of a four week winter break. I really needed it: fall semester was real hard, mainly because my four year old was so ill (he has severe asthma).

I'll be taking four classes this spring: stats, more gender studies, plus a couple of Native American studies courses. If I had been willing to take six classes this coming semester, plus three over the summer, and if I hadn't had to drop a course last semester because of my family's needs, I would have been able to graduate with my BA in August. As it is, I'm going to be taking it easier, and graduating in Spring '08. Much saner pace. And then it's on to grad school hopefully! I will need to take the GRE next fall. : Not looking forward to that.

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#18 of 140 Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Classes start monday. I still don't know how I'm getting my books. This should be a 'light' semester. I'll have 3 SW classes and one religious studies class. Plus I'm a club officer and a student notetaker for one of my classes. This should be fun.
#19 of 140 Old 01-06-2007, 08:24 PM

Classes start Monday for me (and my work-study job). I have a horrible schedule though: College Algebra, Statistics, Human Biology and Humanities. Yes, 2 math classes! But, as long as I pass all of them, I get my AA in May (which rhymes and sometimes I sing it. My only problem is that I am still undecided about my major: education, journalism, or something else? So confused...:

Good luck to all of you!!
#20 of 140 Old 01-06-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mirabella,

With all those math classes I would go with education and become a math teacher. We need good math teachers
#21 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 AM

Ah, possibly the last semester at thi college for me before I transfer to Univ. of Oklahoma. I finally reserved my classes and need to go in on Monday or Tuesday and actually sign the paper stating that I am in them.

Looks like I will only be taking two classes this semester, but with the move in April back to the US, and a baby due in June, I didn't want to overload myself. The college agreed too!

German 1 (I took two years in HS so this shouldn't be oo hard for me, at least at first)
Life in the Oceans (Marine Biology/Geology)

I am really excited and wish I could take more, but I am saving part of my loan money for this summer classes. German 2 with a brand new baby? I need to get used to it, because come fall I get to take 12 hours again!
#22 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Looks like I will only be taking two classes this semester, but with the move in April back to the US, and a baby due in June, I didn't want to overload myself. The college agreed too!
Wow, I'm impressed with just the two classes, Vanessa. Moving while pregnant sounds difficult enough!

Best of luck!
#23 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Same here vannie. The world would end for me if I had to do anything wile pregnant Cheers to you.

Tomorrow's the big day ladies!
So today we are really hunkering down and getting our things organized for this coming week. I also start my new work schedule (7-10:30 a.m.) so we'll see how that goes. I don't think this next week will be a good week to judge whether or not I can cut it working those hours then having class until 5, 2 classes that require 15 hours of observations and a giant portfolio to create.

My boss is allowing me (like she really has a choice) to take an absence from work while I complete the observation portion of my 2 classes that require them and then coming back into my role in the mornings. But, with Mark starting his teaching position this semester, I may forgo going back at all and just concentrating on studies and Kailey.

I am happy, happy, happy that I'll be able to spend some afternoon time with her- woohoo!
#24 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm still writing my personal statement for program admission. It's due this week, if I can pull myself together it'll be in tomorrow. I have the rest of the application done at least.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I don't have my books and really don't know when I'll be able to get them. I'll know on Tues how I have to plan for my field stuff this semster.

I also have volunteer work every two weeks and Campfire the other weeks. This week I've also scheduled meetings before and after my Tues classes. That will be a long day. I'm thinking about requesting some on-campus work to help defray some of my attendance costs. (Meals and gas, I'm on campus 12+ hours some days) I'll have to see what DH thinks.

I'm really excited, just sick this week. Good luck everyone!
#25 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Good luck tomorrow, Potty Diva! And I hope you feel better soon, MamaChel.

Mamas, have any of you had to regularly leave a class early? I have a class that will end at 4:45pm, which is the same time the childcare center closes, so I have no choice but to leave that class a few minutes early to pick up my DDs. I intend to talk to the prof on the first day of class and take it from there, but it's tricky because this is an ensemble, not just a lecture. Anyone ever have to deal with this? How did your prof. react?
#26 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Chel,

Yeah for getting most of your application done. I need to apply to the School of Education this semester as well- oy!

What kind of field work are you doing this semester?

I need to observe in high school classrooms.
We have decided to attempt me working at the sema high school Mark is. I'll do observations at our county's high school (we just have one) and another in the county my college is in. Then I'll request to student teach at Dh's school. Most times your student teaching school will offer you a position with them after student teaching is complete.

Ok, need to get us some lunch.
#27 of 140 Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroNuff View Post
Good luck tomorrow, Potty Diva! And I hope you feel better soon, MamaChel.

Mamas, have any of you had to regularly leave a class early? I have a class that will end at 4:45pm, which is the same time the childcare center closes, so I have no choice but to leave that class a few minutes early to pick up my DDs. I intend to talk to the prof on the first day of class and take it from there, but it's tricky because this is an ensemble, not just a lecture. Anyone ever have to deal with this? How did your prof. react?
What I would do is get assignments before class. Often my professors have done a rundown of the class and the following assignments at the start of class.

Also I could nt see anyone having a problem with the situation you are describing as long as you have let the professor know what and why. In fact, I would email this professor as soon as possible to give them a heads up instead of waiting until the day you have to leave. I don't see why it wouldn't be doable, especially for a serious student.
#28 of 140 Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,

Can I join you? Although, I have to admit that once school starts full blast on Tuesday, I will probably fall behind.

I start my winter term on Tuesday, although I resumed my student teaching last week.

I am working on my Masters of Arts in Teaching, which is a masters degree and state certification all together...done in 1 year! It is pretty intensive.

Until spring break I will be teaching 1/2 days in my 1st grade classroom, which I began in the Fall. Classes this term: Human Relations (aka classroom management), Action Research and Special Methods (focusing on teaching science).

After spring break, I move to full-time teaching in a 6th grade classroom. NO classes though...thank goodness!

The scary part about these next 2 terms is that I have to develop and teach my own unit, consisting of 12-15 lessons linked to state standards, each term. I have already outlined my unit for this term, we are studying geography, map skills/making and writing realistic fiction while studying pirates. I am really excited, but with everything else, it is a lot of work. This will be me soon: :

Thanks for letting me share. I love hearing about what everyone is taking. It is exciting and so very interesting.

Good luck, Ladies!
#29 of 140 Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Heather! Welcome!

Where are you attending? OSU?

Mark is excited to get going on his Masters (History) and is seriously considering is PhD soon after. We are trying to get everything out of the way since we are both non-traditional students (old folks).

I'm sure we are all going to be going nuts once the semester starts.

I can't sleep. And apparently neither can kailey because she insisted on watching Pooh. So here we are nestled in bed and wide awake. i am so excited and nervous. Plus I freak about being late and I have to be at work by 7 a.m. I took a shower this evening and colored my hair so I won't have to do anything but roll outof bed and get dressed. Kailey is a rooper at getting herself ready in the morning. Her motivation - not wanting to miss the glorious bus. She hate it when I take her to school. Loves riding the bus and chatting with her little friends.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to take books to classes- I'm so lazy that way.

Oh and I am really excited about seeing friends I haven't talked to since last semester.

Oh and the biggy- nervous about whay might take place regarding two girls a few of us turned in for chating on a midterm and final last semester. YIKES! We may have to testify in front of the board with them in the room!

Ok, need to try and sleep.
#30 of 140 Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post

Where are you attending? OSU?
SOU: Southern Oregon University

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page