Anyone switched daycares for a 3 year old? How did it go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm debating switching daycares for my 3 year old, which will mean a new daycare for my new babe who will enter daycare in January '08 at 9 months (I'll put them at the same place).

I've had some issues with our existing daycare, however my son has friends there and is attached to one or two of the teachers. There are a lot of great things about it, but a few things that bug me. My main reason for switching is to have the kids closer to my work and the new centre is cheaper, (and I have a few beefs with the current daycare that I "assume" I won't have at the new one). It would mean I could probably get home sooner, and got to them faster if needed. I currently travel 1/2 hour to pick them up, then 20 minutes back home. This means we get home between 6:15 and 6:30 every day. The new centre is 5 minutes from my work, which means we could get home about 1/2 hour sooner. I am on my own in the evenings so it would make it easier to get dinner together before the child(ren) are starving and we could start bedtime routine sooner.

I would say the new daycare is not as fancy as the current one in terms of programs, special activities, number of extra staff, etc, but it seems a bit more organized and "by the book".

Has anyone moved a 3 year old (DS turns 3 next week) to a new daycare, and if so, how did it go? DS is very in to routine and has huge issues/meltdowns with transitions (i.e. to daycare in the a.m., from daycare to home in the p.m., to/from grandmas house, etc.) as it is, so I'm worried it will really throw him for a loop. We're also expecting in March with # 2 so he's going to have a bit of a change to his world then too.

Thoughts/BTDT?
Kathy.
#2 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I switched my DD at almost 3 from an in-home day care provider last spring to a center on campus at the university last fall. She made the transition quite smoothly, though she was at home w/ me for the summer.

Right now I'm considering working in a day care; the one I interview at yesterday has me doubting it, though. I don't think DD or I would fit well there. While she said she had fun, she declared later that day that she'd rather be home with me. Given that she's still been asking to go back to daycare as of Monday, I find that very telling.

I'm also considering breaking down and finding a regular job, in which case I'll send her back to the in home provider who took care of her before. She's a bit expensive but at least I know DD is getting real food at her house, and a lot more attention...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 3 and we are still adjusting to our new daycare. It has been hard mostly because we both were *SO* attached to the teachers and kids at the old daycare.
We switched for the exact same reason you are switching:transportation issues. It has been so much easier having her close to my work.

It seems like it is a little easier transitioning an older child because I'm able to explain what's happening, so she's not scared.

Hope this helps!

--Single mama, and future foster mama--::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page