What's the best way to transport BM to DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I give her the bags with defrosted bm or pour the bm into bottles and have it readymade for her? or put the defrosted bm into a thermos and gi9ve it to her to pour into bottles? I'd love to hear how you do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM

We didn't have DS in DC, but my mom and DH took care of him while I was at work, and for my own peace of mind, I micromanaged the bottles. I would fill them myself, because DH and my mom would both fill them FULL (as in over 4 oz), and of course a lot of that milk had to be dumped. So I filled them just 2 or so oz, and gave them a bag of thawed milk to refill any given bottle as needed. It kept me from killing my beloved family members.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 01-28-2007, 05:13 PM

I pre-filled the bottles. I wanted it to be as easy as possible for the DCP.

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
Old 01-28-2007, 06:16 PM

I always pre-fill the bottles. It's easier for them. Also, less chance of any contamination, or loss of millk due to spilling it, so I prefer to do it myself.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Depends How long is your babe there? Do you trust her not to overfill the bottles or (((gasp))) spill?

When dd was a baby (before she started solids with the care providers) she was with a friend for a few hours and at a daycare for a few hours. For the friend who only had dd and I trusted, I gave her bags of EBM that were frozen. She just kept them in the freezer at her apartment. BUT when I pumped I divided the bags into about 2 oz quantities. She thawed them in a mug of warmed water.

For daycare I just filled bottles about with about 3 oz - it was worth washing the extra bottles . However, dd was only with a given person for at most 4 hours, so she didnt eat much.

I also provided the DCPs with the milk storage guidelines from the Medela website http://www.medela.com/newfiles/faq/coll_store.html

I had such a hard time pumping that I was very concerned about waste - it was worth it to buy the extra bags and bottles!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, my DD will be at DC for about eight hours a day four to five days a week. I guess I'll plan to prefill bottles three ounces and leave her some extra milk if she needs more.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 AM

I always pump directly into the bottles and leave about an inch of headroom, that way there is room for expansion when I stick it in the freezer.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM

My preference was to get the frozen, sealed bags. They weren't a big hassle, and I felt like I wasn't wasting anything.

I also prefer the Playtex bottles, and HATE the Avant bottles.

I prefer Pampers or luvs over Huggies. (just cuz I'm sick of seeing the Huggies)

So, basically, all daycare providers have preferences. What works best for you, is always what you should do. ( within reason of course)

I suggest trying it different ways and see which one works best.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM

I agree with the pre-filled bottles. Also I found that sending more bottles with less in them worked the best. We started with 4-5 3oz bottles a day and I gave them a bag of frozen to keep in the freezer just in case.

Unfortunatley when I froze it I had it full - ie 5 oz! They did thaw it and use it, but she only drank 2 oz AND THEY DUMPED THE REST !!! I wanted to

Now at 6 months, we are up to 3 5oz bottles a day (and they had a bag of 3oz in the freezer, as a "snack" just in case). I also just started to send her with a bit of solids to munch on for fun during the day.

I will say that my only issue with them has been that they didn't get that BF babies didn't need as much as FF babies. They kept insisting I send more milk! We finally got over that, but it took months! DD is the only BF baby in the room. Now that I am sending solids and labeling them "for fun" (not breakfast, lunch, etc) they again got very confused.

They seem to think their job is to get everything I send into DD!

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Heather - how old was your baby when you were sending the 3 oz bottles? My daughter will be 11 weeks when I return to work, and the provider said 2 4 oz bottles would probably hold her...she will be there from 7:45 to 3:30 at the latest...often times she will be picked up and nursed at 3pm. I am trying to make sure I am leaving enough, but don't want BM thrown out either. Thanks.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
Old 01-30-2007, 04:37 PM

She started DC part time at 8 weeks, but that "part time" varied - some days I was working a full 8 hours (plus commute) so I always sent enough to do the whole day.

I would say from 2 months to about 4 months, she would go through at least 4 3oz bottles. Some days she would need the fifth, some days she would only do 3. I felt better sending more. And keep in mind if you keep it cold after you pump and in the fridge at all other times, you have many days to use it.

I should also add, that I started keeping track (on the weekends) of how often I BF her. I was feeding on demand, so I never really cared how often she was feeding. But when I looked at her normal frequency during the day, she was nursing every 2 hours when awake. So I felt good leaving 4 bottles, one every 2 hours, if I was gone 8 hours.

User Tag List