any SLP students/grads? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of pursuing a masters in SLP....anyone out there doing so?
anyone already a slp?
I'm specifically looking for real life earning potential....full vs part time.
thanks!!
amie
#2 of 9 Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM

I imagine you are thinking of working with children. I am a hospital based SLP. I love my job and support my family fairly well. School based clinician don't make as much but they have summers off. Clinic jobs can be hard to find. Many people make good money working for agencies. Unfortunately, working in health care doesn't allow me to work with very many like minded people but so far it hasn't been a problem.
#3 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.....tell me a little about your position in the hospital. Is it assessments & swallow studies or therapy? What about the pace?

When I expressed concern over my sometimes lack of patience with my son, she smiled knowingly and said "it's because he's your child".

What part of the country do you live in? Salary ranges? I'm a stb single mom of four and need something with the flexibility as well as financial security.

Thanks so much.
#4 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm a SLP undergrad- Its great and I love alot of the work, however, I will probably go to grad school to become a physicians assistant, same amount of time and double the $$. I'm in clincial practicum right now and it's fun, but tedious. I think PA will be a better fit for me.

If PA school doesn't work out, I do plan to go ahead to SLP school. Hospital jobs have great benefits and I LOVE swallowing (I'm a lactation consultant intern) maybe in ITU or NICU one day?
#5 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomebirths View Post
Thank you for the reply.....tell me a little about your position in the hospital. Is it assessments & swallow studies or therapy? What about the pace?

When I expressed concern over my sometimes lack of patience with my son, she smiled knowingly and said "it's because he's your child".

What part of the country do you live in? Salary ranges? I'm a stb single mom of four and need something with the flexibility as well as financial security.

Thanks so much.
I live in Oregon. I am sure that the pay is similar throughout but may be a liitle less in your area d/t lower cost of living. The pay range for a hospital SLP is 23-33 dollars/hr. I current see inpatients and outpatients. I do a wide variety, voice, oral cancer, swallowing, speech and language eval and treatment. I was able to buy a house and support my husband and 2 children. There is some flexiblity in my job. There is more with the agencies and less with schools.
#6 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 AM

I'm starting a master's in SLP next year. I can't really answer your questions but wanted to say hi!

I'm hoping to have a private practice someday or work with the school board (big difference, I know )
#7 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InochiZo View Post
I live in Oregon. I am sure that the pay is similar throughout but may be a liitle less in your area d/t lower cost of living. The pay range for a hospital SLP is 23-33 dollars/hr. I current see inpatients and outpatients. I do a wide variety, voice, oral cancer, swallowing, speech and language eval and treatment. I was able to buy a house and support my husband and 2 children. There is some flexiblity in my job. There is more with the agencies and less with schools.
InochiZo,
Thanks for the info....I'm not sure if I want to work with kids in a school setting, so it's nice to know that I have options.
a
#8 of 9 Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 PM

what is slp??? speech therapy?
#9 of 9 Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Options are the name of the game in Speech Pathology-
Schools, Hospitals, Skilled Nursing Facilites, Psych Hospitals, Prisons, Inpatient, Outpatient, Geriatrics, Peds, Teaching, Full Time, Part-time and PRN.
youngspiritmom likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page