getting to work ON TIME dagnabit - Mothering Forums

#1 of 24 Old 06-18-2003, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I can't get to work on time. My commute is short but trafficky, and I need at least 1/2 hour to get to work by 9 AM. (I don't even start that early!) I'm getting up at 6:30.

My baby is 4.5 months old. To get out of the house I need to:

nurse him once or twice, depending on when he gets up
pump my other breast
clean and ready my breastpump parts for the day
shower
get dressed
make oatmeal
eat oatmeal

and sometimes some other stuff, like throwing in a load of diaper covers, washing some dishes, taking the bag of diapers out for the diaper service, writing a check for rent or diapers or the phone bill...

How I've been coping:

washing the pump parts at night OR having dh do it
doing laundry, dishes, check writing at night
making oatmeal on low flame while showering (works well! )
nursing while eating (works very badly )

I could, I just realized, pump while showering with the mechanical hand pump, but I might have trouble getting clean.

Or I could shower at night, but that wouldn't help if the baby gets me, um, damp with various fluids of his and mine.

Get up earlier? Not feed right before work? Some of my trouble is that I get home and I'm really really tired and want to go to bed at 10PM. I finish dinner at 9:45, chew some rolaids, brush my teeth and get into bed with the baby.

Any advice?

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 06-18-2003, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No advice, just empathy.
I am a promptness FREAK

But I have not been able to get to work on time since ds was born.. and he's 13 months.

:
#3 of 24 Old 06-18-2003, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No advice either, just more empathy () 'cause I have the same problem...

I wash pump parts for 2 pumps at night so one is clean for the morning pumping session and I still have a clean one to take to work for daytime pumping sessions.
Even with that, my mornings are:
alarm at 6:30
7:00ish drag myself out of bed & pump (while surfing MDC)
shower & get dressed & pack her bag for daycare (change of clothes, EMB, etc.)
if DD's still asleep, grab a cup of coffee
8:00 wake DD
feed DD while pumping on the other side
change diaper & dress DD for the day
take DD to her dad so he can say "bye"
8:30 take DD to the daycare lady (she won't accept her any earlier)
9:00 start commute
9:30 arrive 1/2 hour late for work

All the while trying NOT to be annoyed that DH who is currently not working is incapable of waking up and letting me leave directly for work at 8:30 which would let me get there on time...

He will be working again soon, which is why we're keeping up with the daycare routine. But I do wish he would do mornings instead of afternoons!! And at least while he's not working he can pick her up on time and I don't have to worry so much about being late to get her (I still rush home to see her but it isn't as stressful because 5mins matter alot to the daycare lady but not that much to DD)... but once he starts working again, I'll have to be on time in the evening too.
#4 of 24 Old 06-18-2003, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That routine sounds pretty familiar. When my dd (now 18 months) was your baby's age, I would nurse dd in bed around 5:30 (although often I was up way before this because she was not a good night sleeper), take a shower, get dressed, get lunch and bottles together, change a couple of diapers in the meantime, nurse one last time, and head out the door between 6:50 and 7:00 to get to work around 8:00. I did not pump in the mornings unless I only nursed once. I also brought breakfast to work with me and ate at my desk (I still do this). Sometimes, dh, who works part-time from home, would help me get my lunch and bottles together, but often he would sleep in so I would take care of dd during this time. I've switched jobs and I now have a shorter commute, so now I get up around 6:00, only nurse once, and leave at 7:15 to get to work by 7:45. It's very hard, but it does get easier as they get older. It's been a long time since I've had to change my clothes before I leave for work because of spit-ups or extremely messy diapers.
#5 of 24 Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

My dh is a night person, but he does try to help me get out the door in the morning. But it's hard for him to get out of bed! But but but, he doesn't always think of what would be helpful unless I ask him. Is that a guy thing?

i'm really good about getting right out of bed, unless baby is nursing. I might move my alarm to 6:15. But not tomorrow, okay?

#6 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 12:05 AM

It's a total guy thing.

I'll be almost dead... overly exhausted, stress, and I'm thinking...
WHY WON"T HE GET OFF THE COUCH AND HELP? Then I ask, and he totally goes out of his way to do whatever I ask anytime.

BUT I HAVE TO ASK.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
#7 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean
It's very hard, but it does get easier as they get older.
This has not been my experience. I had to quit my job and work from home because it takes my toddler so long to get out of the house. Other reasons too of course but I shudder to think what life would be like if I had to be at work by 9!
#8 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

How I got to work on time today:

Last night when I got home, my baby was having a very late nap. My dh was doing yoga. (Of course.) Anyway, I washed all the dishes and cleaned (and even boiled!) my pump parts and the baby bottles, all before he woke up at 6 PM. Then I nursed him and played with him. I got him to sit in the kangaroo carry in the sling (Wow! a first!) while I did some dinner prep. Nothing dangerous, just some chopping and steaming and setting things up.

(I did resent it, though. Why can't dh chop vegetables with the baby in the carrier or even playing in one of his seats? He has him all day, I only have him in the evening, the last thing I want to do is put the baby down. Phooey.)

So we had dinner a little earlier and the baby nursed down to sleep in a very relaxed way. Then after dinner I persuaded my dh to join me in doing the dinner dishes. Because I had done all the ones from the previous day and a half, it was just the dinner dishes and not a big deal, so we did them quickly.

So when I got up in the morning, my pump was ready. I nursed the baby three times and still got out of the house in time to roll into work by (drumroll....) 8:54! Yes! Whooo hoo!

My sister suggested that I hire one of our high school friends to come wash our dishes and do laundry stuff at 5:30 or whenever I get home. I'm going to look into that.

#9 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I squandered some of my on-time-ness telling you about it. But frankly, I don't have that much trouble getting my work done most of the time, even when I'm late. I just hate to be late!

#10 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 AM

OK- Here's our mornings:

Alarm goes off at 5:51 (to allow at least 1 9 minute snooze)

I get out of bed, start shower.
Dh climbs out of bed and joins me in the shower.
I get out of shower first and hope to get dressed before Goo awakes
Wake up Goo, snuggle and change her diaper.
Get to the kitchen at 7, feed Goo while eating breakfast (no easy task). Let Goo run around on the floor while we finish breakfast.
Collect bottles into carrier for daycare (made bottles the night before)
brush teeth (which I must let Goo get her teeth brushed too)
hop in car.
Go back into the house for everything we forgot.
Drive to daycare (30-40 minute drive depending on traffic)

YIKES! We leave the house aroun 8am and I get to work by 9ish. My official hours start at 8:30!

I would suggest
Dishes, laundry etc go at night. IF you can, set up the laundry the night before and just start it up when you leave.
Pump cleaning, ask DH to help with that.
breakfast- Are you a person who can bake? On the weekend, make some breakfast pockets, a bread filled with yummies like veggies and such, then just pop one in the toaster oven in the morning and eat while bf...would that work?

It's harder as they get older because they want real food and they can't always feed themselves. I think it was easier when I just had to offer liquid. Now that we have cheerios and yo-baby all over the place, it is harder to get out in the monring
#11 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 04:47 PM

Sounds familiar -- I'm only successful at getting to work on time about 1/2 of the days. Luckily, my husband does more than 1/2 his share in the morning so I can nurse, but we also have a preschooler to get ready, which adds even more "fun".

Anyway, the only thing on your list that jumped out at me was separating nursing and "pumping the other breast". I assume you child is only taking one side in the morning. It took some practice, but I've learned to nurse one side and pump the other at the same time. Saves time and increased pumped milk supply. Also, as another poster said, two sets of pump parts is a really big help!

I have a really good friend who always eats her cereal in the car. She uses a mug to reduce spills. Might you be open to a change in menu to something like a toast & peanut butter sandwich which you could eat during your commute? Or could you eat at your desk once you arrive?

Good luck.
#12 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

It helps me have enough milk for pumping during the day. Or so I've heard.

I'd love to pump and nurse simultaneously. Tried twice (once w/ electric, once w/ manual) and baby kicks the pump! Is there a special method?

#13 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 12:46 PM

I can't manage with a manual pump at all -- I just don't have enough hands. I can do it with the electric pump though. Here's what works for me. First, I always (well, at home anyway) nurse with baby resting on a pillow, so that gives me a free hand. If I'm trying to nurse and pump at the same time, I use a modified football hold for the baby, which works for me because she's really tiny (only 12 lbs. at 4 months). I'm not sure if that will always work though. Also, I just realize that it only works on one side for me -- she nurses on her "favorite" side and I pump the other. If I try to switch, she kicks and fusses. So, you might want to experiement a little and see if you can figure out a system that works for you!

Thanks for the tip on oatmeal -- I'm trying to find ways to boost my pumping volumn at the moment. Too much stress = not enough milk.
#14 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 04:40 PM

I know it's not nearly as yummy and more expensive, but, for the short term while you're still pumping, what about instant oatmeal individual packets that you can prepare and eat at work? I'm always late for work now, too, so that's my only suggestion.
#15 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I think the main thing is going to be getting more stuff cleaned up and ready the night before. Because you know, if I were eating the oatmeal by myself, i could see just eating it (or another milk-promoting breakfast) at work. But since this is one of the few times of day I get to see my dh and ds together, I really don't want to give it up. I'd rather pay a teenager to help me in the house (since my dh is not willing to commit to doing the dishes when he is solo on baby care) than miss that nice breakfast time.

I'm also assuming that my baby isn't going to keep nursing so much in a couple of months when he starts eating food.

I am going to try again on the pumping while nursing. My baby is 4.5 months (or maybe it's more now! whoa!) and is big and active. He might be at 16lbs. by now, he was over 15 a few weeks ago. Lately he won't even let me read if he's not totally ravenous and tired. He has to look at the book himself.

I have done a lot of good work today but I really want to go home now and see him.

#16 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 05:55 PM

http://brunch.allrecipes.com/az/bkdtml.asp

Baked Oatmeal. Prepare Sunday night, bake monday morning. Eat til Wednesday (at least...it barely makes it to Tuesday at my house. But I'm a cow. Merrrr.) You can sub something for the milk, something for the eggs and leave out all the white sugar. I make mine with applesauce instead of oil and cranberries instead of raisins. Totally flexible oatmeal recipe. You could even make it Sunday morning and bake it Sunday night.

I say get an extra set of pump parts. Somebody tell me to do that, too.

I'm late. Five minutes. Every morning. I'm sometimes back late from lunch, too. I try to make it up at night. I rationalize it by saying I run errands in my own vehicle and don't charge mileage so we're even. I mostly pretend I'm on time.

In order to be consistenly five minutes late, I do one little bitty thing. At 45 minutes before I have to leave, I get the baby ready for the day. Then we nurse til it's time to go. My eight year old loads up the car for me (pump, lunch, diaper bag, purse, water bottle) with all the things I've prepared the night before.

I can never get the pump horns dry before leaving the house. I fold a paper towel and line the bottom of the horn storage area. I put the horns in first (assembled) and put the plug and tubes on top so they don't get wet.

I know a lot of us here wanna save the planet while trying to be Supermom, but I'm a big fan of paper plates and soaking pots and pans for a couple (years) days.

Ya know, one of the Catholic schools here has a program...the kids have to do a certain number of "Service Hours" in order to graduate. My younger SIL got credit for babysitting for us. But she had to do it for FREE! Where's that party hat smilie?
#17 of 24 Old 06-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Don't know if I can help much, since I have pretty much changed my start time since I was always late. Fortunately, my hours are pretty flexible, so I was able to get in 20 minutes late. My co-workers also understood that I had a baby. anyway, I think I would have been more late if I didn't prepare things the night before. I also ate oatmeal packets in the morning, if I had time, or at work. The biggest help, however, was having 2 pumps. One pump I kept at work (the medela PIS) and one pump (a manual Aveda one and a Evenflo electric) I kept at home. It saved me the trouble of lugging the pump back and forth. The heavy duty pump was always at work and ready to go. It was constantly plugged in and I had extra horns and tons of bottles. I didn't pump too much at home, so the Aveda worked fine. The Evenflo electric was pretty much a waste of money. HTH!
#18 of 24 Old 06-23-2003, 09:09 PM

I would agree to try to get stuff done the night before so you can skip trying to get that extra load of laundry done in the morning. To that end, I cook a vat or two of something every weekend. I freeze some and we eat a couple of meals of it during the week. I'll also try to get as much during the week meal prep done as possible. I bought a freezer which helps a ton. I can normally get a fairly decent meal on the table in 20 minutes, which frees up evening time for other stuff.

I get up at 5:00 to be at work at 8:00, yikes! Most days I'm on time.
#19 of 24 Old 06-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quick oats. Instead of several minutes cooking in a pot, just pour boiling water on them and stir. Healthier for you and the earth than those packets--my co-op sells organic quick oats in bulk--and no yucky pot to wash. You can be setting up your oats w/raisins and such while the kettle is coming to a boil.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11 years old and a girl EnviroBaby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 year old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#20 of 24 Old 06-25-2003, 07:29 PM

Sounds like you're finding some good solutions. I like the teenager idea!

I can't get to work on time, either, but I think for me it's because I don't like to rush in the mornings. We use our mornings as play & relax time, so I don't have a good schedule. I don't have to be there at any certain time, I don't suppose, but my goal is 8:30. I'm lucky if I make it by 9:00.

I don't pump anymore, but when I did, the extra parts helped me quite a bit. After 8 months, I no longer pumped at home, so I washed and stored my pump & parts at work all week, and that shaved a significant amount of time. And in that last rush to get out of the house, I often forgot the thing, so leaving it at work eliminated that exposure to mistakes.

Getting DS ready has actually gotten tougher for me. He wakes up later (I can't bring myself to wake him), takes longer to have breakfast and then there's the preparation of his lunch. I keep telling myself that I'll start preparing it at night, but like you, I like to get to bed pretty early. I haven't quite gotten there yet.

So, yeah.....I'm with you. Sounds like you're (all) doing better than me.
#21 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 04:40 PM

During the school year I get up at 4:45 and immediately go pump while watching the news, make bottles for the day, and clean the pump parts. I'm usually done with that by 5:20.

Then I jump in the shower (if I need to -- I usually shower the night before), brush teeth, and get dressed. I have a never-needs-more-than-a-minute haircut and I don't wear any makeup, so I'm done by 5:30 or 5:35 (depending on the shower).

At that point I collect the baby from my husband (who has gotten him up, changed, dressed, and ready for the day) and kiss dh goodbye (he's also been up since 4:45). Then the baby and I play and nurse until it's time to leave. I leave the house at 6:20 to drop the baby off at 6:30 (some mornings I'm actually there early and have to wait for the daycare to open)!

Then I get to work at approximately 6:50, which is fifteen minutes before the first bell rings and I have to open my classroom. I use those 15 minutes to eat breakfast (which I keep at the school) and do any odd tasks that I'd otherwise have to do later in the day.

The thing is, with my job, if I'm not going to be there at 7:05 it causes BIG problems -- kids not where they're supposed to be, etc, so I have to call and let them know I'm running late and they have to get someone to cover me . . . you get the picture. Being late is just really not an option for me, at least not on anything other than a VERY occasional basis. So I build that 15 minute cushion into my day, and it's very rare that I encroach upon it -- but it's there if I need to.

The secret for me is I have a dh who is very helpful and we split duties very evenly. Neither of us does ANY household chores in the mornings -- if it stayed undone overnight, it stays undone until I get home from work. We iron and plan clothes for a week at a time; we do a load of laundry every day; we run the dishwasher every other night (but rinse/clean the dishes every day!); we do get it all done the night before because we DON'T do it in the mornings.

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
#22 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 06:07 PM

It's strange that regardless of when DD wakes me up, I'm always late for work. If I have 10 extra minutes, I try to squeeze in 15 minutes of odds & ends. Today we were up extra early, so I woke DH up early (he works evenings) and actually got to work 1/2 hour early. But I'd be lost if I didn't wash pump items, pack my lunch, set out my clothes, etc the night before. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to get DD ready to leave the house.
#23 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 12:16 PM

Don't even know how I did it--it's not like today was any different than any other day. But somehow it just managed to work out.

I agree with Livi's Mommy that squeezing in those odds and ends can be my downfall...but the evenings are key play and fun times for us (we usually eat early), so I hate to spend that whole time puttering in the kitchen or with the laundry...and by the time the kids are asleep, I am too fried to clean...

Oh well, good luck to all, and have a great weekend, Mommies!
#24 of 24 Old 06-30-2003, 12:47 PM

You really want to know? LOL! I get up with dh at 4:30 a.m. (he has to be at work at 6 am). I help get him out the door by 5:30 while throwing in laundry and packing my lunch. Then I make dd's (12 months) cup for the day, pack a clean pacifier (for nap only) in her bag. Then I switch laundry. I usually prepare meat and veggies for dinner. I take everything out to the car -- daycare bag, purse, my lunch. I hop in the shower at 6:15 and am done dressing by 6:55 at which time I wake dd (if she's not already awake), take her downstairs change her diaper, nurse her, feed her breakfast (usually yogurt with a scrambled egg, or oatmeal, cheerios, etc -- something that takes me no longer than 5 minutes to prepare). It generally takes her until 7:45 to finish breakfast. Then I wipe her off, change her diaper again, put her clothes on her. She and I then take out the dog and I put dd in her carseat, put the dog back in the house, and pull out of the driveway right at 8:00 a.m.

If school is not in session my commute is ~ 45 minutes (if it's during the scool year then it takes twice as long). DD and I 'talk' while on the way to daycare. I drop her off, spend about 10 minutes talking to the other kids and teachers and then get to work right at 9:00 a.m.

I don't pump anymore at work, but I do have a suggestion for those of you who do -- buy extra pieces. I had enough sets for 9 pumps, so I could go for 3 days without washing pump pieces. I also discovered when she was 6 months old that I could put the pieces in the dishwasher, spray them with a little vinegar and save myself LOTS of time and worry!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page