WOHM's ... How long did you pump/breastfeed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am heading back to work next week. Our little guy takes a bottle without issue (has been getting it every 3rd day for two weeks). I hope to extended breastfeed. How realistic is this? Is pumping such a drain that you just quit after awhile?

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#2 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 PM

I pumped for 14 months and nursed for 2.5-2.75 years.

Edited to add that I went back to work at 6 weeks.
#3 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM

my son turns one TOMORROW!!! and is EBF (well, he eats solids now but no other milks) i just cut down to pumping once a day and plan to continue that for as long as i can take it. pumping does get tiresome but just keep trucking! you can do it!
#4 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM

I pumped for about 12 months and nursed for 2.25 years. Didn't fully go back to work until DS was 15 months though, so my pumping experience wasn't that intense.
#5 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM

I pumped at work for about 4.5 months (until DD was 6 months old). I now breastfeed at home only. Sometimes it was very hard to maintain a consistent pumping schedule at work, especially if I was out of the office often on other business, but I promised myself I would keep it up until six months. I noticed that pumping sufficient supplies seemed to be harder if I was a little stressed or tired. If there was a drain - it was purely psychological - as I was feeling pressured by work or worried that I wasn't pumping at the right times, etc. Whenever I did it, though, I would go into the "zone" and would feel so much more relaxed after pumping. It was worth it! DD nor myself had any problem adjusting to evening/nighttime and weekend only feedings.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#6 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM

I pumped until DS turned 1.

He is now 32 months old and shows no signs of weaning. Seriously, the kid is super addicted to his nay-nays.

When I did decide to stop pumping, I knew I would be okay with it if it led to weaning. It didn't. I was even more okay with that.

Blah, I was soooo tired of pumping at the end of 8 months of pumping 3x a day.
#7 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM

I pumped for 8 months and am still nursing at ... *counts on fingers* ... 30 months. With my second, I pumped for 6 months and nursed to 14 months.
#8 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM

I pumped and breastfed until he was 8 months old, at which point he decided he wanted nothing to do with nursing, sadly enough. It took me a while to use up the stash, though!
#9 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

I went back to work when India was 8 weeks old and pumped/nursed until she was 8 months old. She was supplemented with formula because I couldn't pump enough. I had to wean at 8 months because I'm bipolar and absolutely had to take some meds that weren't yet approved for BF. Of course now Dr. Hale's decided they're ok, so I weaned for nothing... Oh well, I did what I had to do.
#10 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM

I went back to work when DS was 3 months old. At that time I had built up a 100oz freezer stash to hold me over if I ever needed to make up a shortage. I ended up just rotating through that so that nothing was ever frozen longer than 3 months total

For the first few months I pumped three times a day at work. Luckily I worked only 4 days a week, and one of those was from home, so I only actually had to go into the office on M/W/F. I still sent DS to daycare for a portion of the day I worked from home, but that meant less bottles for that day.

I had a hard time finding enough time at work to keep up with the 3 times a day schedule, so I added another pump session in every night (even on the weekends, yuck..)after DS was in bed to make up the difference. I pumped 2 times a day at work from the time DS was about 6 months until he was a year, and dropped down to one time a day and slowly weaned by pump at about 14 months.

I continued to send bm to daycare with DS until I used up my stash and at around 15 months he was totally drinking cows milk when away from me but still nursing 2-4 times a day until we weaned right around 18 months.

Good luck! I can't say that pumping is fun, but it did give me a huge satisfaction to know that I was able to exclusively bf my son his entire first year and beyond and still work nearly fulltime.
#11 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 PM

I pumped for 10 to 12 months with both babes.

I nursed my ds until he was 18 months old and am still nursing my dd who is 20 months.
#12 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM

I guess this is a commom concern for us WOHM - I just started a thread about it on the "Breastfeeding past infancy" board this week, too!

My son is almost a year, and I have been pumping anywhere from 1-4x day since I went back to work FT at the end of my leave almost 10 mos ago. I never had more than a day or two "stash" in the freezer b/c i didn't pump unless I was away from Em in the beginning, so I am amazed when I hear mamas say they have 100s of oz frozen! I wish I had realized early on (when I had so much milk!) that eventually i would be getting less in a pump than he would eat in a feed. But I was so intimidated to start pumping in the first place. So i know that for #2!

It is totally realistic to extended bf and work - I am committed to it, and so are tons of other moms here! Pumping gets old, but it isn't that bad once you're in the routine of it. I am just now considering how/when/if to reduce pumping and introduce another kind of milk. Check out the thread I started for more tips from other moms about pumping and extended bf.

Rachel
#13 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

I went back when DS was 12 weeks, and pumped 3x/day until he was 12 months. Then over the next 1 1/2 months slowly cut down to twice, than once, and now (14 months) just nursing at night.
#14 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Went back to work when DS was 6 weeks, pumped until he was 1 year old, and he weaned himself at 17/18 months.

My mother pumped @ work for four kids for 10 months each, and all of them BFd for at least 2.5 years.
#15 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 PM

Pumped for about a year for both kids. Weaned at 4 years with first son, still nursing 3-year-old second son.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#16 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 PM

I pumped for 12 months and nursed her for 16 months.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#17 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM

went back to work at 4mos old, pumped until 10 months old, still nursing at 19 mos

I wanted to pump longer but my pumping supply was getting low 4oz or less and I had a huge stash of frozen bm so I stopped pumping
#18 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 PM

I went back to work at 8 weeks post partum. Alivia wouldn't take a bottle for the first month (my mom fed her with a medicine dropper) or so. I pumped at work (part-time 20 hours/week) for about 6.5 months, until I quit. I continued to pump while I went to school (for about 4 months). I stopped pumping when she was a year (or maybe slightly over). By the time she started daycare at 14 months, I had quit pumping, but was still nursing. She nursed until 27 months, and NEVER had formula.
#19 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:39 PM

I pumped 4 times a day until DD was a year. I continued to bf mornings and evenings until about 20 months.
#20 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM

i went back to work at 14 weeks postpartum. pumped 2x per day until ds was 13 months old. ds is almost 2.5 yrs old and is still nursing strong.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#21 of 53 Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM

I'm still pumping. I'm only getting enough for one bottle. I'd stop but DD loves my milk, she gets excited just seeing the bag. I want to stop and am ready to.
#22 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 03:16 AM

DS2 bf'd until about 14-15 months, I think. I cut out pumping at about 11 months. We probably would have done it longer if I were home FT, but I still think we had a very good nursing run. I didn't wean, it just kind of petered out, kwim?

I think the two things that really kept me going as a nursing wohm were having daycare close enough to my office that I could go there a couple times a day and having support at work for pumping. Yes, I pumped in the shower stall in the bathroom : but it was fine and people would come in there and chat with me through the curtain and I actually got a few "good jobs" from co-workers when there were more than 2 full bottles in the fridge
#23 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 AM

I stayed home for the first 15 months then worked at a childcare center and Kailey was in my room so we nursed there. I've not pumped though.
Our breastfeeding relationship lasted until 2 months before her fifth birthday.
#24 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM

#25 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I pumped for 7 months. I didn't have to after that, because I nursed DS before and after work, at lunch, and during the evening. He stopped asking for a bottle and would just wait till I got home. He self-weaned at 22 months.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#26 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm still pumping, and my son is a little over 9 months old. I think I'll pump until 12 months and then go down to nursing only.

One of the reasons that I'm looking to stop is that 1) yeah, it's alot of time to pump 3x per day but 2) in order for me to do so, I have to get the key from one of the admin's desks, and they gossip constantly.

Normally, I fight the good fight about breastfeeding, but after a year, I'm not sure I want to be as vocal. BFing is so misunderstood, and I don't need my fellow employees using it as something perverse against me.
#27 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM

With both my DDs I went back to work around 8 weeks and pumped until about 12 months. I breastfed DD1 until she was 2 yrs. DD2 (17 mo) is still breastfeeding and gets frozen BM at daycare that I have leftover from when I stopped pumping in Dec (she never ate much at daycare and nursed all night so I had lots of milk).

I pumped after I fed in the morning right before work - with DDs help (just looking at her!) and a good letdown from her nursing I could pump about 4 ounces. At work, I pumped 2 times a day, used the fresh BM at daycare and froze any extra milk. During the first 6-8 months I made lots of extra milk but by 10-12 months I was barely pumping 5 oz a day.

I agree with the pp about how helpful it is to have a supportive work environment...when I pumped with DD1 at one point there were 4 pumping moms in my lab.
#28 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawap View Post
I pumped for 14 months and nursed for 2.5-2.75 years.

Edited to add that I went back to work at 6 weeks.
Ditto, except that she's only 2.25 and still nursing.

ETA: I pumped until my period came back. Then the amount dropped precipitously and it wasn't worthwhile anymore, since she was over a year anyway. It wasn't too big of a pain to pump; I used the time to read books and articles that were relevant to my job, but would have sat on the shelf unread otherwise.
#29 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM

I was an EPer, so a little different, but pumped at work for 18 months.

Jenn
#30 of 53 Old 05-24-2007, 02:42 PM

It's completely possible if you want to do so!

I went back to my 50+ hr/week job at 7 weeks post partum and pumped for my sons entire first year. I did have supply issues and supplemented a bit after about 6 monhts, but it was important for me to provide my son with whatever breast milk I could for as long as possible.

We weaned at 13 months when a lingering illness blew what was left of my fragile supply.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page