hands-free pumping?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tell me how it can be done! I'm so sick of holding those horns. I have an IQ Duo, if that matters. Do I need a speical bra or something?

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM

I've seem special bras, but I never used them. I pumped at my desk at work. I was able to position the horns, then lean forward until they rested on the edge of the desk. With the right chair height and computer placement, I was able to still use the computer while I pumped (or talk on the phone). In fact, that was frequently when I caught up on MDC reading!
#3 of 14 Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 AM

I can snap my stretchy Sprawlmart sport nursing bra up over the horns and they will stay in. Just open the panel, stick in the horn, snap it up around the horn. I didn't think it would hold them in, but it does. Good luck.

Here is a diy handsfree pumping bra http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby...raconvert.html

She sews amazing rinslings, too BTW!
#4 of 14 Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 AM

I used either one of two methods. 2 hair bands looped together, one pulled over the horn, and then the free end connected to the clasp on an open nursing bra. (see kellymom.com for instructions)

My favorite way was to cut a small vertical slit over the nipple area of a sports bra. I slid the horns through the slit and then connected them to the collection containers. Your nips will pop through the slits, though. So you have to wear nursing pads.
#5 of 14 Old 05-28-2007, 02:27 AM

OK, I confess, I bought a special thingy - a bustier- not a bra, it fit on over my bra (I didn't want to have to invest in the bras - they are pricey). It had holes small enough to hold on the horns and keep them there. It was a godsend, IMO. I could take the pumping time to answer e-mail or just surf the net. I resented pumping a lot less with that!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 14 Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM

I bought the made by moms pumping band as a recommendation from some ladies on here (I pump exclusively and was getting severe back pain from resting the bottles on my legs while pumping) I think it is great and worth the $30 or so dollars.
#7 of 14 Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
I've seem special bras, but I never used them. I pumped at my desk at work. I was able to position the horns, then lean forward until they rested on the edge of the desk. With the right chair height and computer placement, I was able to still use the computer while I pumped (or talk on the phone). In fact, that was frequently when I caught up on MDC reading!
I'm doing this right now!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#8 of 14 Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 PM

i usually just trapped the bottles in between my body and the keyboard while I pumped. It didn't make for very easy typing, but I could use the mouse and catch up on blog reading or lurking on mdc. :

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#9 of 14 Old 05-29-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have to pump, standing up, in the office kitchen. It is the ONLY room that has a door that is not see-through glass and can lock So, the wedging the bottles is tough. I'll try the rubberband or bra route. Thanks for the tips!
#10 of 14 Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM

I'll second the bustier. I have the one by easy expressions and it's definitely worth the 32 bucks and lets me play on the computer and pump or even drive and pump (helpful given sometimes long commutes in Los Angeles).

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#11 of 14 Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
i usually just trapped the bottles in between my body and the keyboard while I pumped. It didn't make for very easy typing, but I could use the mouse and catch up on blog reading or lurking on mdc. :
That is what I do. I wedge them between my desk and me, and return my phone calls....

Sorry that won't work for you. I have used the rubber bands. I have a medela hands free kit I could send you if you want. I've never used it. The thing is I would need to find it.... but if I can you can have it.
#12 of 14 Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
I have a medela hands free kit I could send you if you want. I've never used it. The thing is I would need to find it.... but if I can you can have it.
I would love it, I'll PM you! Thanks!
#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2007, 09:37 AM

I took an old bra that was stretchy in the cups (not a padded one - one that was spandex-y...) I cut a slit in each of the cups & YAY! free hands-free pumping bra. I would just put it on & slide the horns in it when I was ready to pump. It worked really well.
#14 of 14 Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 AM

Don't get the Medela hands-free kit unless you have Medela bras. They have a hook at the top and two loops at the base of each cup to hook up the rubber-bands in the kit.

I got the Pumpin' Pal (http://www.pumpinpal.com/) hands free thingamajig. It's only $10 (same as the Medela rubberband thing), but you can wear any nursing bra you want with it. They also sell angled flanges, which I HIGHLY recommend if you have to lean forward to pump. That gives me a backache!

I've never tried one of the bustiers, but they cost $30 and probably aren't as quick to set up as the PP one.

Some of the homemade solutions work okay too (like using hairbands or slicing holes in an old bra), but they aren't very convenient if you only have a few minutes to pump or don't have a decent place to change.

Just my $.02

--Denise
partners.gifmarried since 2000, kid.gifmom since 2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page